2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

haven't followed the thread tonight, but hinch seemed to get a little too cute.  no altuve is fine, but yuli at 3rd didn't seem to work out great.  it also got white in the game, which isn't great either.  obviously marwin gets thrown out which sucked.  pinch ran reddick which kills your best lefty off the bench.  brought in our "closer" for the 7th/8th while tied at home - not what you typically should do.  i also figured mccann was obvious vs a righty like romo - i'm shocked jake even got a piece of his tailing slider.  

it's been seasons now that we can't seem to handle facing a lefty.  

we've been saying it for a while, but when hinch manages by feel, he needs to answer for it when shit goes wrong.  when he has a plan, it's the players fault for not executing.

oh, and we needed to score in the 1st.  what a mess.  7bb given to us total.

• Like 1

I am all for giving Tuve a day off but why you gotta do it during a possible franchise record setting game?
Hinch still has the propensity to go crazy and let's be honest here we got lucky AF that he got Yu Darvish twice + Dave Roberts out burning his bullpen to the ground last year.

I think coaches do shit like that to show that streaks don’t matter to them and that they’re smarter than everybody else. Popovich does it all of the time.

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The streak started a day before I went on vacation and ended the day I got back.  You fuckers should set up a gofundme to keep me on vacation through October.  It will be difficult, but I will do my part for the team.  Question is, are y'all willing to step up to the plate?

It keeps you off this thread right??

hmmm....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The streak started a day before I went on vacation and ended the day I got back.  You fuckers should set up a gofundme to keep me on vacation through October.  It will be difficult, but I will do my part for the team.  Question is, are y'all willing to step up to the plate?

You have it all wrong.

Your wife and I had a marathon session before you went on your vacation. Her 12 orgasms that day are the cause of the streak.

If you want to do your part for the team, you just need to let your wife stay at home while you go on your vacation.

10 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

I am all for giving Tuve a day off but why you gotta do it during a possible franchise record setting game?

Hinch still has the propensity to go crazy and let's be honest here we got lucky AF that he got Yu Darvish twice + Dave Roberts out burning his bullpen to the ground last year.

no problem with giving Altuve a day off, just had a problem with it last night.  We were facing easily the best starter we will see in this series or the next against the Royals.  Not to mention Jose is already getting Thursday off.  Take a day off against a chump, not the best we will see over the next six games.

Also would have liked to have seen Kemp bunt Reddick over, THEN use Altuve with RISP.

3 hours ago, BornOrange said:

You have it all wrong.

Your wife and I had a marathon session before you went on your vacation. Her 12 orgasms that day are the cause of the streak.

If you want to do your part for the team, you just need to let your wife stay at home while you go on your vacation.

Ain’t got no wife, but your shitty post is still shitty.

53 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Interesting article on the offensive struggles at MMP:
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/minute-maid-park-plays-like-a-pitchers-park/c-281955408
No real answers. But is interesting to see it put in numbers.

The hypothesis I would want to test would be the air in Houston -- the dampness and density of it is just slowing the balls down in flight. Not enough to materially impact the pitches, but enough to materially impact the ball in flight. One thing we should see is a decrease in velocity in fly balls by the same player in MMP vs outside of it. (And I think you'd have to drop Coors Field from your analysis because that's cheating.)

The hypothesis I would want to test would be the air in Houston -- the dampness and density of it is just slowing the balls down in flight. Not enough to materially impact the pitches, but enough to materially impact the ball in flight. One thing we should see is a decrease in velocity in fly balls by the same player in MMP vs outside of it. (And I think you'd have to drop Coors Field from your analysis because that's cheating.)

But it appears to be more of a recent phenomenon. (I would presume the air 10 years ago is the same as the last two).

Maybe it’s the combo of the change in field dimensions after 2016, batter’s eye, air density, and change in ball..combined with the increase over that same timeframe in engagements, marriages, children and Fortnite.

Here's the Astros home-road records for the last five years as well as runs scored and allowed at home and on the road.

HOME RECORD ROAD RECORD TOTAL RECORD
2014 38-43 32-49 70-92
2015 53-28 33-48 86-76
2016 43-38 41-40 84-78
2017 48-33 53-28 101-61
2018 (current) 20-15 29-11 49-26
2018 (projected) 46-35 59-22 105-57

RUNS - RUNS ALLOWED RUNS - RUNS ALLOWED  
  HOME ROAD  
2014 318-362 311-361  
2015 367-281 362-337  
2016 334-303 390-398  
2017 395-327 501-373  
2018 (current) 143-114 246-118  
2018 (projected) 331-264 498-239  

Of course, the Astros have only played 35 out of 81 home games so they have plenty of time to improve on their run totals at home.

Something that I find interesting is that in 2014 and 2015 they basically scored the same amount of runs at home and on the road. Starting in 2016, they started scoring more on the road then at home. I would have thought the change would have started last year when they got rid of the high strikeout guys and focused more on contact than the all-or-nothing approach of previous years.

• Like 1

Hooks won the first half of the Texas League 

And Fresno has the best record in AAA

(And just swept a four game series against the Express in Round Rock. I can’t wait for the Houston affiliation to be back in Central Texas next year...hopefully)

...speaking of Fresno, tomorrow night the best promotion of the year is happening

Seth Beer has played his first few games in low-A ball. Not sure what to make of him, but have some optimism that he could be a useful bat down the road at first or DH...I think Yuli and Gattis contracts are up after 2019, which should be about the time Beer is ready...

edit: nope, Yuli signed through 2020

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Beer is interesting.  He's supposed to be a decent athlete and I think the Astros might see him as a legit corner OF (he's been spending most of his time in LF with Tri-City) and not just an all bat DH/1B guy.

Also, Brady Rodgers will be on the mound for Tri-City tonight.  Will be really interesting to see what he has post-surgery.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So with the first half of the minor league season coming to a close, I decided to take a look at the standings.
We fucking own professional baseball right now:

a133521c3a96b5bb8b0c90ff1dffd21e.jpg

I’d say Luhnow is worthy of his promotion.

NEIFI's projection system agrees.

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Any idea what's going on with Bukauskas? He hasn't pitched since the first week or so of the season but can't find an injury update...

Only thing I've seen is that he allegedly has an oblique strain.