2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Yeah I’d like to Hinch at least seem like he’s trying. We get it, injuries suck and have a huge impact. On the other hand I’d like him to find some way to get them to manufacture runs. Play some small ball. Tinker with the lineup to get speed on the bases and try to screw up the defense. Something.

This is one of the first worthwhile post I’ve seen in a while.
All valid points to try and break the malaise.
Feels the same “do nothing” approach happened last year when the dogs days of summer caught up to us in August. Arguably the only thing that broke up that rough stretch was the JV trade and I don’t see the FO making a similar earth shattering deal this year.

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Chances of repeating is so low I wasn’t expecting it, then we started off looking unbeatable until now. Injuries suck because had we not had any at all we wouldn’t be in this position.

Gotta figure a way to hold on and hope we get healthy in time.

still think we make the playoff at the least as the wild card but that would blow ass.

That's the problem, the offense was looking this bad even without the injuries.

Gattis .767 OPS to .763 OPS, though the only reason he is this close was his 3 week hot streak.

McCann .759 to .606

Gurriel .817 to .706

Altuve .957 to .857

Correa .941 to .801

Gonzalez .907 to .711

Reddick .847 to .733

Springer .889 to .772

Marisnick .815 to .690

Bregman .827 to .895

So you have 1 player from last year that has actually improved from the previous year, while the rest of your everyday lineup as lost on average 120 points off their OPS.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Which speed guy can get on base other than Kemp?

I was impressed with Yuli's wheels last night when he stretched a double into a sliding triple.  I was at the game and forgot who was batting and thought it was Kemp for a second.

Fuk out bats though.  They should be able to put up a better fight even wout Altuve/Springer.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

This is one of the first worthwhile post I’ve seen in a while.
All valid points to try and break the malaise.
Feels the same “do nothing” approach happened last year when the dogs days of summer caught up to us in August. Arguably the only thing that broke up that rough stretch was the JV trade and I don’t see the FO making a similar earth shattering deal this year.

As others have already said, the thinking is probably that this year's JV is getting everyone healthy.

We'll see if that works because I don't think a bat is coming.

That sucks.
The combination of the following is still a bit shocking to me:
1) Astros won the World Series in 2017
2) 54% (87) of its games were started by someone no longer on the 2018 team (or in the bullpen)
3) The 2018 rotation is night and day better than last year

In other words, I’m still not worried. The offense picked up the slack in 2017 while the pitching staff figured itself out.
The pitching staff has picked up the slack in 2018 while the offense figures itself out.

2017 the offense played way above its potential. So far this year it’s played way below but I’m confident it’ll stabilize over the last 40 games and we’ll win the West comfortably. Then it’s on to October when even the FO admits it’s basically a 50/50 toss up no matter who you’re playing.

Augu 31st no?

Move Bregs to leadoff, Yuli to two, Kemp to 9. Never set maldonado swing with a runner on first or second with less than 2 outs. fuck it, put tyler white in the cleanup spot. i dunno, but something needs to happen, we need to force the issue instead of waiting for rallies to happen that really don't seem to happen. 

small ball, hit and run, put guys in motion, sacrifice a virgin, whatever. 

ALTUVE WILL WALK ON WATER!!!  

Need more than his normal excellence to kick start the lineup.  George and Carlos, we're looking at you.  Get out of the ice tub and get the groceries.  

I'm not all that worked up about this skid other than it seems a shame to waste the outstanding performances this rotation continues to dole out.  Oakland has to cool off at some point (right?), and Seattle seems to be held together with bubble gum and fairy farts.  

• Like 1

ALTUVE WILL WALK ON WATER!!!  
Need more than his normal excellence to kick start the lineup.  George and Carlos, we're looking at you.  Get out of the ice tub and get the groceries.  
I'm not all that worked up about this skid other than it seems a shame to waste the outstanding performances this rotation continues to dole out.  Oakland has to cool off at some point (right?), and Seattle seems to be held together with bubble gum and fairy farts.  

These are my thoughts, put to words better than I can do.

Posted the following in the MLB thread on the A’s regarding an article today about the key to their success this year being power and strong bullpen: I can see their power lasting. I disagree with the comments (from the article) on the bullpen. I think the playoffs the last couple of years prove no matter how good your bullpen is in the regular season, it’ll still turn in to a pumpkin eventually. For the A’s I think the clock’s at about 11:59. 14 of the next 21 against the Astros, Mariners and Yankees

2 hours later their bullpen cracked first today in 12th.

Augu 31st no?

Move Bregs to leadoff, Yuli to two, Kemp to 9. Never set maldonado swing with a runner on first or second with less than 2 outs. fuck it, put tyler white in the cleanup spot. i dunno, but something needs to happen, we need to force the issue instead of waiting for rallies to happen that really don't seem to happen. 

small ball, hit and run, put guys in motion, sacrifice a virgin, whatever. 

Close. With what we currently have healthy, I really like this lineup:

04a192b7636b4ba20fa61cc67e6e2e8e.png

well since yuli has a decent avg (until recently at least) without much xb power this season, it makes sense to have him 2/3 with our guys out.  i still like him at 5/6 when we're healthy.  a timely single can start or continue a rally down there.

meanwhile, only a game back, oakland became a big story on espn today (led off pti).  hopefully that's just the type of jinx they needed.  they lose in extras, hopefully we win, and that'll be the closest it ever gets.  that said, they're a scary matchup for the yankees in a one game situation, especially the way they hit and the way severino has been throwing.