2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

14 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Celebrating today seems stupid but it gets Sparky in the locker room so I love it

Man this is awesome

Ripping on our bench coach because he couldn’t get the champagne cork popped and he was with the Yankees last year “and didn’t get a lot of opportunity to practice last year...”

sparky is a national treasure

5 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

but when you burn through several guys who are pitching well to get to the 8th/9th, you're basically asking those last couple stoppers to be virtually infallible. I know that's what closers are supposed to be, but it's always seemed dicey to burn through the bullpen and bet everything on a good (if not totally clean) 9th for the save. Sometimes things just don't go like that, and bingo...you're out of good arms.   

The Astros should thank Dave Roberts for stressing out his bullpen early in the World Series. It wasn't that the Astros figured out the bullpen. The Dodgers bullpen was just worn out. 

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

(if i heard it right) the astros need to allow fewer than 27 runs in the remaining 4 games to allow the fewest in a complete season by an al team since the dh started.

Yes I heard this on the radio this morning as well.  The DH came about in 1973, but then interleague play was introduced 20ish years later so the stat is kinda skewed if you think about it. Nonetheless we good.

Edited by tx ind

It's window dressing if we get that. Window dressing if we win the next 4 games. Hell, Baltimore could sweep us. [Narrator: They won't.] IDMAS. Which is what I was telling my brother when he was fretting about Oakland a few weeks ago. IDMAS what Oakland does; we just gotta win. And we did. And then Seattle finished them off for us, at least until we meet again in the ALCS later.

And if you're thinking I'm giving the rest of the AL no chance, it's because I'm somewhat biased.

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

(if i heard it right) the astros need to allow fewer than 27 runs in the remaining 4 games to allow the fewest in a complete season by an al team since the dh started.

You heard right.... https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/1974.shtml

The designated hitter started the year before so it's probably also safe to that with no free agency back then that the AL teams hadn't quite fully stocked up on hitters to fill the newly minted role either.

That was also the 3rd straight year the Athletics won the World Series too the only team not named the New York Yankees to win 3 straight World Series titles.

If Astros beat the Rockies in the WS, my uncle who grew up going to Ebbets Field as a kid and has supported the Colorado team since its inception would possibly never talk to me again...lol.

Fuck it.  He’ll just have to be satisfied with the Rockies making it to the WS.

Go Astros!!!

15 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The Pimphand ideal series breakdown

AL Wildcard Winner: A's over Yankees

NL Wildcard Winner: Dodgers over Cubs

ALDS: A's over Red Sox & Astros over Indians

NLDS: Brewers over Dodgers &  Rockies over Braves

ALCS: Astros over A's

ALCS: Rockies over Brewers

WS: Astros over Rockies

sale threw the lowest velocity on his fs fastball yesterday of his entire career.  after the game he said he isn't where he wants to be.  if he's not right, the red sox are proper fucked in the alds.  i still think their lineup has length issues when everybody isn't crazy hot.  they have (arguably) the two best hitters in the league not named trout, but if xander and benintendi aren't going right, there isn't much else.  maybe i'm wrong.  maybe pearce and devers and bradley become postseason heroes.  either way, their bullpen is garbage outside of kimbrel, and they'll have their hands full with the wc winner.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

sale threw the lowest velocity on his fs fastball yesterday of his entire career.  after the game he said he isn't where he wants to be.  if he's not right, the red sox are proper fucked in the alds.  i still think their lineup has length issues when everybody isn't crazy hot.  they have (arguably) the two best hitters in the league not named trout, but if xander and benintendi aren't going right, there isn't much else.  maybe i'm wrong.  maybe pearce and devers and bradley become postseason heroes.  either way, their bullpen is garbage outside of kimbrel, and they'll have their hands full with the wc winner.

this pleasures me greatly

5 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

i can't see LMJ not making the playoff roster this round but can definitely see Straw making it. And, Maldonado is going to factor in huge with his arm this first series against CLE. Don't underestimate his value moving forward. 

I've seen numerous people talk about Straw in the playoffs... is he even eligible?

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-eligibility

Per Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement, players must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for postseason play.

Players must be on the 40-man roster, the 60-day disabled list or the bereavement/family medical emergency list as of midnight ET on Aug. 31 to be eligible for their respective clubs' postseason rosters. Consequently, players that are acquired via September trades or signed as free agents in September are ineligible for postseason play.

Clubs can petition the Commissioner's Office to add any player that was not on the 40-man roster as of Aug. 31 -- provided the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing a player who has spent at least 60 days on the 60-day disabled list. The Royals were able to use this tactic to add Brandon Finnegan to their roster during the 2014 postseason, despite the fact that Finnegan was not on the 40-man roster as of Aug. 31.

Additionally, all players who have served part of a suspension for performance-enhancing drugs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-call-up-outfielder-Myles-Straw-from-AAA-13232456.

September 15, 2018

To make room on the 40-man roster for Straw, the Astros transferred righthander Jandel Gustave to the 60-day disabled list.

10 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

i can't see LMJ not making the playoff roster this round but can definitely see Straw making it. And, Maldonado is going to factor in huge with his arm this first series against CLE. Don't underestimate his value moving forward. 

there's also "dance with the one who brung ya"

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

MLB really needs to scrub that link, it's out of date.  It came up on the old site before, I may have even cited it myself.  Anyway, the rule for several years now has been that you only have to be in the organization on August 31 to be eligible.  Mondesi, Jr made his MLB debut in the '15 World Series despite not being on the 40 man before then:

To be eligible to be added to the World Series roster, a player has to have been in the organization as of Aug. 31, which Mondesi was. The Roayls then added Mondesi to the 40-man on Tuesday when they DFA'd Joba Chamberlain. Manager Ned Yost said Mondesi was added to the Royals’ World Series roster in part for insurance in case infielder Ben Zobristneeded to leave for the impending birth of his third child with his wife Julianna, who is due any day now. But Zobrist played all nine innings, and Mondesi got his shot anyway.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

It's nice to finally have a catcher that can throw people out

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

MLB really needs to scrub that link, it's out of date.  It came up on the old site before, I may have even cited it myself.  Anyway, the rule for several years now has been that you only have to be in the organization on August 31 to be eligible.  Mondesi, Jr made his MLB debut in the '15 World Series despite not being on the 40 man before then:

Gotcha, good to know.

27 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

the only way(s) i see lmj not making it, is if he has a lingering injury (that may or may not be made public) or if he personally tells aj he doesn't feel ready.  knowing what i know about lance, i seriously doubt that [2nd one] happens.

maldonado will be our primary catcher, and is definitely a weapon.

2 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Kaplan’s take on the ALDS roster is interesting.  11 pitchers, 4 IF, 2 catchers, 2 DH, and 6 OF (including Straw for PR situations).  No Peacock or LMJ.  Not much to quibble with honestly - we’ll see if Hinch wants to go lighter on P for the 5 game series.

Spoiler

How might the Astros construct their ALDS lineup? Here’s our best guess given everything we know through 158 games.

Starting pitchers (4)

RHP Justin Verlander
RHP Gerrit Cole
LHP Dallas Keuchel
RHP Charlie Morton

Relief pitchers (7)

RHP Roberto Osuna
RHP Ryan Pressly
RHP Collin McHugh
RHP Héctor Rondón
RHP Josh James
LHP Tony Sipp
RHP Joe Smith

Catchers (2)

Martín Maldonado
Brian McCann (L)

Infielders (4)

1B Yuli Gurriel
2B José Altuve
3B Alex Bregman
SS Carlos Correa

Outfielders (6)

CF/RF George Springer
RF/LF Josh Reddick (L)
LF Marwin González (S)
CF Jake Marisnick
LF Tony Kemp (L)
CF/RF Myles Straw

Designated hitters (2)

Tyler White
Evan Gattis

I agree that if he can go LMJ will be on the roster.  I still don't see them rostering James based on his inexperience.  I think Harris is added for the ALCS and WS.

So does this mean we're getting the night game Friday?

ALDS

DATE SERIES TV
Friday, October 5 Yankees/A's at Red Sox, Game 1 TBS
Friday, October 5 Indians at Astros, Game 1 TBS
Saturday, October 6 Yankees/A's at Red Sox, Game 2 TBS
Saturday, October 6 Indians at Astros, Game 2 TBS
Monday, October 8 Red Sox at Yankees/A's, Game 3 TBS
Monday, October 8 Astros at Indians, Game 3 TBS
Tuesday, October 9 Red Sox at Yankees/A's, Game 4* TBS
Tuesday, October 9 Astros at Indians, Game 4* TBS
Thursday, October 11 Yankees/A's at Red Sox, Game 5* TBS
Thursday, October 11 Indians at Astros, Game 5* TBS

4 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

So does this mean we're getting the night game Friday?

ALDS

DATE SERIES TV
Friday, October 5 Yankees/A's at Red Sox, Game 1 TBS
Friday, October 5 Indians at Astros, Game 1 TBS
Saturday, October 6 Yankees/A's at Red Sox, Game 2 TBS
Saturday, October 6 Indians at Astros, Game 2 TBS
Monday, October 8 Red Sox at Yankees/A's, Game 3 TBS
Monday, October 8 Astros at Indians, Game 3 TBS
Tuesday, October 9 Red Sox at Yankees/A's, Game 4* TBS
Tuesday, October 9 Astros at Indians, Game 4* TBS
Thursday, October 11 Yankees/A's at Red Sox, Game 5* TBS
Thursday, October 11 Indians at Astros, Game 5* TBS

hilarious.

if it's the yankees, you can bet they will be cutting away from our live playoff game to show their batting practice/pregame from fenway.