2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Do you think it is a flawed statistic or just unnecessary? 

i'm positive it's unnecessary, but i honestly don't know all the factors that go into the equation (although i'm sure i can guess some of them).

i've been watching baseball most of my life, and i already know that you have a better chance of getting a hit when you hit the ball hard.  i also know that if you hit it where fielders aren't standing, that counts too.  i don't need "wow and the hit probability was only 26%" after every bloop the other way.

i get that hitters are adjusting their approach to account for launch angle, etc - but hit probability seems more like trivia than science.

• Like 2

Y'all are aware that Jake was good last year, right?  117 wRC+, 16 HRs in 259 PAs, any of that ring a bell?  It was definitely the best year of his career but I'd give it more than 50 PAs this year before deciding whether it was a fluke or a breakout.  If he doesn't come around, his playing time will go down but he'll still have value as a defensive replacement, pinch runner type.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm positive it's unnecessary, but i honestly don't know all the factors that go into the equation (although i'm sure i can guess some of them).

i've been watching baseball most of my life, and i already know that you have a better chance of getting a hit when you hit the ball hard.  i also know that if you hit it where fielders aren't standing, that counts too.  i don't need "wow and the hit probability was only 26%" after every bloop the other way.

i get that hitters are adjusting their approach to account for launch angle, etc - but hit probability seems more like trivia than science.

Yep. A scorched out with 99% probability of having been a hit is still an out. A bleeder hit with a 1% chance of getting through is still a hit. That said, the more often you hit it hard, I'm pretty sure the better your odds of hitting for power and average. 

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Getting the dregs of our pen some work.

When you posted this, I came close to asking who here thinks we'll end up with team shutout today. I was going to call it a coin flip. But I deleted the post; didn't want to seem too negative when we were up by six for a change.

4 minutes ago, YChang said:

I really want to be reincarnated as a left handed bullpen pitcher in my next life. Seriously... make tons of money and you don't even have to be competent. 

Especially one that sucks equally against lefties and righties. You’d think the Astros would know better with all their analytics

• Haha 1