Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

So here's the optimistic view of last week's debacle. For all the cynicism and dishonesty among those in power, regular, typically powerless people (Ford and the two women on the elevator) spoke up and ultimately won the short term battle. We'll see how it plays out, but for now the Senate lost and the people won.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I judge Kavanaugh by his own words. Watch is 45 minute opening statement. It's an insanely partisan rage tirade. He's basically a FOX News host.

I told the lady next to me that if this costs him his legal career, there's a 99% chance he ends up with a show in Fox News.  They're made for each other.

14 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

I think he's had a superior record as a judge.  I think he's smart.

Like Senator Sasse I don't think a judge's job is policy.  I think he has tried to interpret law, and has done an excellent job of it.  I don't think he is an ideologue.

I think he's the best choice for Dems from the "List".

I am reminded of Scalia's request to Obama.  He said that he wanted somebody smart.  He knew that he was going to get a Lefty.  So  he wanted a smart, intellectually honest Lefty.  He said he wanted Elerna Kagan.  We want Kagans and Kavanaughs, not Thomases and Sotomayors.

dumb. here's why...

I think he's had a superior record as a judge.  I think he's smart.
Like Senator Sasse I don't think a judge's job is policy.  I think he has tried to interpret law, and has done an excellent job of it.  I don't think he is an ideologue.
I think he's the best choice for Dems from the "List".
I am reminded of Scalia's request to Obama.  He said that he wanted somebody smart.  He knew that he was going to get a Lefty.  So  he wanted a smart, intellectually honest Lefty.  He said he wanted Elerna Kagan.  We want Kagans and Kavanaughs, not Thomases and Sotomayors.

31204f9ee2a5adbf930622b4bd9ddf61.gif
  • Like 1

The point of the investigation is to exonerate him of the allegations not find evidence.  The WH can’t ask the fbi to ignore evidence so they are pointing them in the direction to not find any.   The Ramirez Yale story could potentially bring up new info but I think the ford story will end up inconclusive. 
This is a great summary of where we're at.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Yes I do.  I don't think the Senators do though.  

This is essentially a "thoughts & prayers" sentiment, isn't it? One admits they're troubled Kavanaugh's lying to the judicial committee but there's just nothing one can really do about it, is there? If only things were different, but yay Team!

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Your formatting got messed up in the post; is one of those links a source?

All I've seen is that he sent the letter after the testimony, meaning Kavanaugh was lying.

I'd be interested to see your source.

In the letter, Judge says he didn't recall anything from Ford's Thursday testimony, so it would be hard to say that before the testimony happened.

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This is essentially a "thoughts & prayers" sentiment, isn't it? One admits they're troubled Kavanaugh's lying to the judicial committee but there's just nothing one can really do about it, is there? If only things were different, but yay Team!

Yes, precisely. He will say for his own personal argument that it should matter, but he won't criticize the Senators for whom it won't matter and he'll vote for as many of those Senators' fellows as he can in elections.

Situational ethics.

Your formatting got messed up in the post; is one of those links a source?
All I've seen is that he sent the letter after the testimony, meaning Kavanaugh was lying.
I'd be interested to see your source.
In the letter, Judge says he didn't recall anything from Ford's Thursday testimony, so it would be hard to say that before the testimony happened.

Yeah Tapa.

No i was referring only to Judge’s subsequent statement. After I posted my own question here about this on Thursday and never saw a response I went and found it somewhere.

I didn’t post it since i just assumed everyone was already aware of it.

Yeah Tapa.

No i was referring only to Judge’s subsequent statement. After I posted my own question here about this on Thursday and never saw a response I went and found it somewhere.

I didn’t post it since i just assumed everyone was already aware of it.

Also I did not notice that the letter followed Ford’s testimony. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t have sent it during the lunch break.

Do we know?

45 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

There is literally nothing I can do about it.

39 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, precisely. He will say for his own personal argument that it should matter, but he won't criticize the Senators for whom it won't matter and he'll vote for as many of those Senators' fellows as he can in elections.

Situational ethics.

One issue alone is not why I vote for any one person.

In an ideal world they would probably pull his nom and find someone different, but politically here they’re stuck. You pull him and your voting base backs out because they’re tired of supporting a party that backs down from the other side.  They will hold their nose, or not, and overlook that.

All those politicians lie. Are they gonna suddenly hold him accountable for that? Doubtful. 

Just now, GRHorn said:

All those politicians lie. Are they gonna suddenly hold him accountable for that? Doubtful. 

And yet "all those polliticians" have held any number of public officials and private citizens accountable for perjury throughout the course of history.  Something has changed.  Hmmm.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

And yet "all those polliticians" have held any number of public officials and private citizens accountable for perjury throughout the course of history.  Something has changed.  Hmmm.

This isn’t that new.  See:  Clapper, Brennan.

I’d say our whole culture and even politics have been debased. Rules don’t apply to everyone. Deception and theft are out in the open now. 

I still say it became blatant after financial crisis. People in power realized they didn’t have to even hide it anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Virtually everyone has told a lie. Virtually everyone has broken a law. That doesn't mean we're all Trump, Kavanaugh, or Dahmer. The false equivalencies from the right are bad enough by themselves, but when used to defend the broad daylight corruption of an administration that promised to drain the swamp, it's just brutal in its disconnect.

Well, that and the fucking SCOTUS.  I get it, I'm rather a hopeless sunshine-pumping optimist far too often, but I was holding out hope that SCOTUS would actually remain somewhat a bastion of American greatness.

What a fucking idiot I am.

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Virtually everyone has told a lie. Virtually everyone has broken a law. That doesn't mean we're all Trump, Kavanaugh, or Dahmer. The false equivalencies from the right are bad enough by themselves, but when used to defend the broad daylight corruption of an administration that promised to drain the swamp, it's just brutal in its disconnect.

The Republican Party is about one thing and one thing only: protecting capital.

That's it. That's all you need to know. Republicans pander to voters on social issues to get their votes so they can achieve political power to protect capitalists. See: tax cuts and deregulation. It's not even a secret. They are open about. And that's sad because most Americans who vote for Republicans do not and never will control enough capital for Republicans care about them.

Murica.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Also I did not notice that the letter followed Ford’s testimony. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t have sent it during the lunch break.

You've got Kavanaugh just lying and lying and lying and you're going to reach that hard? I admire the dedication to team.

25 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

lol yep

Your hands are tied. You're powerless.

You can't even write Cruz a letter/e-mail or call his offices to tell him to not vote for Kavanaugh. That's illegal. You'd be arrested.

You can't not vote for him. That's also illegal.

You can't vote for his opponent. Also illegal.

I wish we lived in a representative democracy that ensured the right to redress our grievances with government officials.

tenor.gif?itemid=4424469

• Like 3

lol yep
Your hands are tied. You're powerless.
You can't even write Cruz a letter/e-mail or call his offices to tell him to not vote for Kavanaugh. That's illegal. You'd be arrested.
You can't not vote for him. That's also illegal.
You can't vote for his opponent. Also illegal.
I wish we lived in a representative democracy that ensured the right to redress our grievances with government officials.
tenor.gif?itemid=4424469

You might need to step away from the keyboard.

I’m not on Team Kavanaugh. I think his appearance Thursday disqualified him, regardless of this specific item that might or might not have been one of a series of lies, evasive responses, outright no responses, and aggressive, inappropriate, non-judicial attacks on the Democratic senators.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

You might need to step away from the keyboard.

I’m not on Team Kavanaugh. I think his appearance Thursday disqualified him, regardless of this specific item that might or might not have been one of a series of lies, evasive responses, outright no responses, and aggressive, inappropriate, non-judicial attacks on the Democratic senators.

He wasn't quoting you.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

One issue alone is not why I vote for any one person.

In an ideal world they would probably pull his nom and find someone different, but politically here they’re stuck. You pull him and your voting base backs out because they’re tired of supporting a party that backs down from the other side.  They will hold their nose, or not, and overlook that.

Federal Judges are and should be held to a much higher standard than that. 

• Like 3