Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

I must be very fortunate to know no where near 12 women who’ve been sexually assaulted. 

If you know 60 women odds are you do. But here’s a hint, most wont talk about it. Reasons why are on display in this thread, this hearing, Amber Wyatt’s story, and many more just like it.

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Brief preface: I find everything about Trump and those he’s surrounded with disgusting people and a cancer to democracy. 

Yesterday, I watched 5-6 hrs of the hearing.  By lunch I was more or less 100% in Ford’s camp.  By the time BK was finished last night, I believed almost every word of his story.  

I think both are telling what they believe are the truth but I’m more inclined to side with BK due to lack of any real evidence or corroboration on Ford’s part (which sucks after 3.5 decades but is definitely part of the equation).  His defensive demeanor was cute at first but grew tiresome.  I’m not certain I love seeing a SPJ lose his temper so quickly, but *IF* the accusations are false, I understand his position.   

I would absolutely like to see and FBI though but unfortunately we’ll never see one.  

I can understand that point of view, but here's where I woke up on things this morning:

1) I can't know for sure what happened between Kavanaugh and Ford, if anything.

2) I believed her.

3) Kavanaugh said two things yesterday I know for a fact to be false during the hearing that have nothing to do with sexual assault.

4) He is deeply rooted in the partisan-industrial complex.

I've said elsewhere that if I was a Senator I would approach advise and consent from the standpoint that matters of philosophy and views on the constitution are within the prerogative of the executive doing the appointing, and I would approve or not on the basis of character, temperament and quality. Kavanaugh fails on those three, regardless of whether he assaulted Dr. Ford. 

• Like 6

He 100% perjured himself multiple times. Before yesterday I was solidly in the camp that using something that happened in high school to attack him is pretty weak. The allegations were more serious than I thought, but that is not what concerns me the most. No one who would perjure themselves on something mundane like stupid high school terminology should ever be a judge, much less a Supreme Court Justice.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Brief preface: I find everything about Trump and those he’s surrounded with disgusting people and a cancer to democracy. 

Yesterday, I watched 5-6 hrs of the hearing.  By lunch I was more or less 100% in Ford’s camp.  By the time BK was finished last night, I believed almost every word of his story.  

I think both are telling what they believe are the truth but I’m more inclined to side with BK due to lack of any real evidence or corroboration on Ford’s part (which sucks after 3.5 decades but is definitely part of the equation).  His defensive demeanor was cute at first but grew tiresome.  I’m not certain I love seeing a SPJ lose his temper so quickly, but *IF* the accusations are false, I understand his position.   

I would absolutely like to see and FBI though but unfortunately we’ll never see one.  

Kavanaughs reaction yesterday could be explained that he was unjustly blamed, fully innocent and only protecting his family.   

But say he really did jump on ford and in his mind just having fun.  He wasn’t going to rape her.  Now fast forward 35 years and he doesn’t want to lose the job he has wanted forever.   If you were this person in this situation, you would have to act angry about the accusation as well.  In this scenario, kavanaugh would act exactly as he did yesterday.  Attack the process not the story.

finally kavanaugh claims that this accusation has ruined his name but he refuses to call for an investigation that can clear him in 3 days. Why is that?  Will it clear him in everyone’s mind?  No.  But it will add a lot of weight for a law enforcement agency to do so.

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Well you anger is misplaced. Diane is on the commitite tasked with confirmation. She failed at her job by hiding this and then leaking it. There is a reason they didn’t immediately call for a FBI investigation in July. Because based on what we have heard there is nothing to pursue. 

That was the biggest problem. A real investigation, done through the correct channels would have dismissed this immediately and IT WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC. the one thing no matter what, the Democrats could not have. Dragging a confused victim and her family into a circus while destroying a father and husband for their own gains. 

Publicity was their only goal, if investigated in private they don’t get to grandstand and the confirmation is over before it starts. 

Use some common sense. 

I'm not denying she fucked up. There is blame for people of both parties. Unfortunately, we lack sufficient technology to enable anyone to travel backward in time to unfuck this mistake.

What we have right now is the need to ensure the American people aren't short changed by pushing through a substandard Candidate because the majority party wants to ensure a conservative court before they lose all their seats in the midterm elections. Well, as I said, I dont care about their reelections. What I do care about is ensuring the best person for this vacancy is selected regardless of their leanings. My anger isn't misplaced. I generally don't trust either party to do anything that isn't self-serving. Well, fuck that. They serve at our pleasure, the American people. We are a Constitutional Republic for a reason. Every one in Congress should be afraid of not holding their seat because they are nothing but self-serving sycophants and many have proven themselves to be sexual assault apologists. If not for what is going on with Dr. Ford, then everything dickhead dolan has done and gotten away with. As it stands right now, if kavanaugh gets pushed through without a proper investigation of the allegations against him then the stain on this nation rests with the men and women who put him in the position where he will be able to perpetuate all of the horrid things he's gotten away with not only in the course of his confirmation hearings, but his life as well.

It's hard to think that the current SCOTUS members want the red-faced maniac that we saw yesterday on the court.

That dude is way too emotional and will make fuck you decisions out of spite. Another concern they didn’t address is that his lack of personal finances makes him susceptible to bribes. His finances, specifically that debt load (even though it magically disappeared) would disqualify him from a lot of private sector jobs.

22 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

So when the FBI cleared Kav through it's background checks, that was good GOP FBI. But if the FBI investigates Kav and finds that he tried to rape Ford, that would be evil Deep State FBI, even though the FBI had been under a Dem administration for at least some of the time it cleared him, and is now under a GOP administration. With yet another Republican director. Got it. 

When did I say any of that ? I believe you let the chips fall where they may.

My comment as merely a commentary on how even the FBI's integrity has been called into question.  A law enforcement agency that has the taint of politization about today, true or not it's there.

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I can understand that point of view, but here's where I woke up on things this morning:

2) I believed her.

3) Kavanaugh said two things yesterday I know for a fact to be false during the hearing that have nothing to do with sexual assault.

I've said elsewhere that if I was a Senator I would approach advise and consent from the standpoint that matters of philosophy and views on the constitution are within the prerogative of the executive doing the appointing, and I would approve or not on the basis of character, temperament and quality. Kavanaugh fails on those three, regardless of whether he assaulted Dr. Ford. 

Fair enough.  We certainly agree on #1 but I’d like if you could eleborate on 3.  

Number four sucks and I think having someone as political as BK should be a disqualification factor for a position which is supposed to be apolitical, but I don’t see how it has any bearing on whether he is guilty of the accused 36 years ago.  

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

That dude is way too emotional and will make fuck you decisions out of spite. Another concern they didn’t address is that his lack of personal finances makes him susceptible to bribes. His finances, specifically that debt load (even though it magically disappeared) would disqualify him from a lot of private sector jobs.

He acted like a petulant little bitch boy while GOP senators APOLOGIZED that he had to go through this.  That was my issue. 

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When did I say any of that ? I believe you let the chips fall where they may.

My comment as merely a commentary on how even the FBI's integrity has been called into question.  A law enforcement agency that has the taint of politization about today, true or not it's there.

It’s been called into question by someone being investigated

12 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

In the anecdotal women’s reaction department:

Both my neighbors(wife of mid 60’s retired couple, 70’s widow) who are definitively not part of Hillary’s deplorables, are steaming pissed at D’s and asking everyone in our neighborhood to call our Senators.  Frankly, it was quite shocking to me as when they knocked on the door last night.  From what I know both have sons my age,  and expressed that as a motivator.

Again, anecdote and I do know women who are all in behind Ford.

Lol good one. So the grannies are hitting the streets huh? It’s a revolution!

Seriosly, the trolls have gotten their talking points and it’s to act hoppin mad at the dems. Trump told cavs to act mad so he did as he was told. Trump told Lindsey to act mad so he threw his little hissy fit. Both of them are assholes who have no business getting anywhere near the Supreme Court. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jack said:

They most certainly can be.  Is English your second language?Frivolous means that the accusation has no merit.  I could claim that some guy raped me 35 years ago and told me his handle on surlyhorns is "Onboard 2.0".  That would be a frivolous claim if i pursued it.  If I made that claim during your job interview would you call for an FBI investigation.  Can you say for certain we've never been in the same room or at the same party? 

This is a claim that would never have even gotten a warrant, much less have charges brought against the judge. 

Personally, I think she was lying about the whole thing.  I know that's not the politically correct thing to say but she was caught in a lie on the stand at least twice.  She knew damn well that the republicans were willing to fly out there because it was one of the offers she flat out rejected.  She also lied about her fear of flying.  She wanted the public hearing.  She even pluged her gofundme yesterday for god's sake.

I'd say that making a serious claim such as sexual assault is in no way frivolous, ever, whether its true or not. It needs to be investigated if only to expose the frivolous charge, and to prosecute the person making it. This is a charge that even when proven false can, and does destroy peoples lives.

If they prosecuted the people making false claims, I'd wager fewer people would come forward with them.

7 hours ago, yoladu said:

i still cant believe a rational thinking person saw that hearing today and didn't come away thinking Kavanaugh was a complete trainwreck. His whole demeanor was a un-Justice-like, and when he wasn't lying he was being evasive.

i am finding I don't relate to my fellow Americans like i thought i did so much these days.

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Today was a great day for the left.

Are you joking?

This is a great example of what I’m talking about.  I’m seeing the exact opposite reaction from communities that are right leaning. People are watching the exact same thing and getting the totally opposite conclusion. 

The next step here is a Senator getting attacked by a radicalized leftist. 

2) I believed her.

I agree with all of this, I think it proved out in his first hearing. My only caveat is I think the republicans should have asked the FBI to question all relevant witnesses.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s been called into question by someone being investigated

Which is precisely what I'm talking about.  That an agency that's supposed to be above reproach has this kind of doubt hanging about it is bad.  The fiasco with Hillary Clinton did little to help their reputation with many many people. It certainly could have been looked upon as a politically driven incident.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Lol good one. So the grannies are hitting the streets huh? It’s a revolution!

Seriosly, the trolls have gotten their talking points and it’s to act hoppin mad at the dems. Trump told cavs to act mad so he did as he was told. Trump told Lindsey to act mad so he threw his little hissy fit. Both of them are assholes who have no business getting anywhere near the Supreme Court. 

Republicans were losing the hearing yesterday so they got mad as a show of force.  When in doubt, Team R is ready to turn everything into a mud fight because they don't mind getting dirty.

Talking points - my neighbor's sister's aunt's cousin's mom is SO MAD and she always votes Democrat and she's voting for the Republicans because of the FALSE ALLEGATIONS that could happen to her son.  Same similar story we get every election season.  Someone's distantly related acquaintance is a staunch D/R voter but TOTALLY NOT VOTING for them this time because XYZ

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Kavanaughs reaction yesterday could be explained that he was unjustly blamed, fully innocent and only protecting his family.   

But say he really did jump on ford and in his mind just having fun.  He wasn’t going to rape her.  Now fast forward 35 years and he doesn’t want to lose the job he has wanted forever.   If you were this person in this situation, you would have to act angry about the accusation as well.  In this scenario, kavanaugh would act exactly as he did yesterday.  Attack the process not the story.

finally kavanaugh claims that this accusation has ruined his name but he refuses to call for an investigation that can clear him in 3 days. Why is that?  Will it clear him in everyone’s mind?  No.  But it will add a lot of weight for a law enforcement agency to do so.

This is what I think happened too. They were horsing around pretending and they scared the shit out of Ford. It could have gone too far but it wasn't what they intended, hence all the laughter. So in his mind, it wasn't sexual assault. 

The Yale situation was the most likely to cause problems for him because people were going to come forward and attest to his drinking and the Debbie story would have gained more plausibility. He was lucky that she didn't get to testify. This is what truly would have eaten at his credibility since he insisted and got most defensive about getting passed out drunk. He is a liar and a cruel man. That angry red face is something I'm sure his wife sees a lot since he is still a petulant teenager emotionally.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Local PD is who would conduct and investigation, not the FBI.  That's their job and you have pretty good odds the left will pressure them into doing it. 

If he called for an FBI investigation to "clear his name" the dems would argue you can't seat a judge that is under investigation. Then it would encourage others to "bravely come forward" with more allegations no matter how credible.   You'd never seat any judge 

Normally all these kinds of allegations are kept behind closed doors for a reason. 

From what I saw yesterday, Ford was lying with regard to her phobia of flying and that is enough to cast doubt on her story.  She has too many holes in her memory for her to be considered reliable.  This story never should have been made public.

FBI could and would if Trump, the GOP, and Kavanaugh absolutely did not want that to happen.  It is what has happened before in this scenario and would be the most expeditious way forward if Kavanaugh was clean.  Of course he's not, and lied his ass off all day long even about the inconsequential things.  The republicans are about to put an abuser of women on the supreme court.  Hopefully all parties get what they deserve.

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Quoted again for the lulz. Uh oh, Johnny sack was all set to vote for some Dems but now he’s mad and writing 10k checks all over the place because that’s nothing to the sack.

How drunk were you when you posted this?  Paying to watch rats fuck? Does that really cost 10k? Because I think you should have another go tonight. Thanks for the laughs. 

My vote didn’t change.  But I’m giving the max to Cruz and getting everyone I know to vote and give.  Going to do my part to defeat Beta   

Tell us again how you used to be a Republican.  

30 minutes ago, Jack said:

She even plugged her gofundme yesterday for god's sake.

She did not plug her gofundme campaign.  She was asked if someone had paid for her polygraph test, her lawyers responded that they had paid for the test.  She was then asked if she expected to have to reimburse the lawyers for the test.  She said that she was not sure, that she had relocated twice and was behind on the specifics of what she would have to do.  She was asked if someone else was going to assist her with these costs.  At that point she mentioned that she was aware of several gofundme accounts that have been set up, mostly for her security detail, but said she did not know how to collect the money or use the site, but she was aware of those sites.  That is a truthful answer to the question asked.

Had she given out the name or a link to the gofundme site in her prepared statement, you could say she was plugging her site.  But she was asked a question and answered truthfully, and demonstrated a lack of knowledge of how gofundme works in her answer.

Watch it yourself here, around 6:45 into this clip:  https://www.c-span.org/video/?451895-102/professor-blasey-ford-testifies-sexual-assault-allegations-part-3

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

That dude is way too emotional and will make fuck you decisions out of spite.

This makes no sense to me.

First of all, I’d expect someone that believes they are wrongly accused to be upset. 

Secondly, the SCOTUS is not an emotional job. You listen to arguments, question people, and weeks later an opinion is issued. 

I wish people knew more about how the FBI worked.  They aren’t deep state henchmen.  They are mostly fact collectors and facts are non-partisan.  Do they make mistakes? Absolutely.  Are there bad apples in the organization? Of course.  Do they have an old dark history going back to J Edgar Hoover? Yeah.

But the FBI has been damaged so much over the past three years by trash news, political commentators, and elected officials, I’m not sure the perception of their work will ever be the same.  

It’s amazingly easy to destroy the reputation of the FBI but insanely challenging to restore.

Just add it to ash heap of damaged institutions by corruption and bad actors, foreign and domestic.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I wish people knew more about how the FBI worked.  They aren’t deep state henchmen.  They are mostly fact collectors and facts are non-partisan.  Do they make mistakes? Absolutely.  Are there bad apples in the organization? Of course.  Do they have an old dark history going back to J Edgar Hoover? Yeah.

But the FBI has been damaged so much over the past three years by trash news, political commentators, and elected officials, I’m not sure the perception of their work will ever be the same.  

It’s amazingly easy to destroy the reputation of the FBI but insanely challenging to restore.

Just add it to ash heap of damaged institutions by corruption and bad actors, foreign and domestic.

Everyone knows only the bad, morally corrupt, sleazy Democrat employees in the FBI are going after Kavanaugh/Trump, while the saintly, good, morally honest and ethical Republican employees are stopping scary brown turban wearing people from committing heinous terrorist acts at the local Wal-Mart in Buttfucksuburb, Texas.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My vote didn’t change.  But I’m giving the max to Cruz and getting everyone I know to vote and give.  Going to do my part to defeat Beta   

Oh I see what you did there.  You changed Beto to Beta, because somewhere in your stupid fucking mind you think you're a tough guy.  

Edited by SameSame

43 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

This all sounds pretty reasonable. 

1 minute ago, SameSame said:

Oh I see what you did there.  You changed Beto to Beta, because somewhere in your stupid fucking mind you think you're a tough guy.  

Beto is a "beta" but Ted Cruz phonebanked for Donald Trump after calling his wife ugly and his dad a murderer and Kavanaugh cried like a little bitch boy on national TV.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

When your DOJ plays politics with investigations of People in your own party, and makes the FBI tap dance to your game plan, you have hurt the reputation of a supposedly neutral law enforcement agency.  The FBI did itself critical harm by allowing the agency to be used like that.  I'm looking right at Mr. Obama.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Nah. I already explained that to you.

So can I borrow that 10k? I’ll donate it to cruz. 

Just now, horncyclist said:

The FBI, at least at the staff level, is the most nonpolitical agency in our government today. If you claim otherwise, you have little knowledge about the FBI. It's also very conservative in many ways, though not necessarily political.

I agree with this post about 99.9%, there are always gonna people at all levels that have an axe to grind though. 

It's upper management that usually fucks things up. They always have the most to gain or lose than the average Joe or G man in this case.

1 minute ago, horncyclist said:
2 minutes ago, Hammock said:
I can't stand Cruz but this smear campaign is so ruthless that I actually agreed with the Zodiac Killer for once. 

Do you not believe her then?

My stance is that if you're going to make an accusation as this level then you better back it the fuck up with evidence. Zero corroborating stories.

Graham made a good point. If you supposedly drugged and raped women for two years then you're most likely not going to stop. Not one woman that has worked with Kavanaugh has ever said anything negative about him. He would have slipped somewhere over the 36 years and we would have heard about it by now. 

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When your DOJ plays politics with investigations of People in your own party, and makes the FBI tap dance to your game plan, you have hurt the reputation of a supposedly neutral law enforcement agency.  The FBI did itself critical harm by allowing the agency to be used like that.  I'm looking right at Mr. Obama.

This is rich.  Obama bent over backwards to keep his distance from the FBI. 

5 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
6 minutes ago, Hammock said:
I can't stand Cruz but this smear campaign is so ruthless that I actually agreed with the Zodiac Killer for once. 

Do you not believe her then?

Unfortunately the Democrats didn’t. And played a shameful game of politics instead of using the confidential investigation procedure.  Evil bastards.  

My stance is that if you're going to make an accusation as this level then you better back it the fuck up with evidence. Zero corroborating stories.
Graham made a good point. If you supposedly drugged and raped women for two years then you're most likely not going to stop. Not one woman that has worked with Kavanaugh has ever said anything negative about him. He would have slipped somewhere over the 36 years and we would have heard about it by now. 
It's hard with the time that had gone by though she did the best she could. I think there are leads that could potentially corroborate it if followed. I also don't think you can blame her for waiting to come forward. I can understand your attacker being elevated to the highest Court of the land and the #metoo movement prompting her to cone forward finally.

27 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

This is what I think happened too. They were horsing around pretending and they scared the shit out of Ford. It could have gone too far but it wasn't what they intended, hence all the laughter. So in his mind, it wasn't sexual assault. 

The Yale situation was the most likely to cause problems for him because people were going to come forward and attest to his drinking and the Debbie story would have gained more plausibility. He was lucky that she didn't get to testify. This is what truly would have eaten at his credibility since he insisted and got most defensive about getting passed out drunk. He is a liar and a cruel man. That angry red face is something I'm sure his wife sees a lot since he is still a petulant teenager emotionally.

I think it’s decent explanation of how both can believe they are right.   Kavanaugh cannot say the event occurred but ford interpreted it wrong or that he was just screwing with her. He and judge have to lie or not recall. It’s the only way. 

Im confused as to why kavanaugh and graham are not calling for ford to be brought up on charges for perjury yesterday. She sat there in audience of millions and said with 100% certainty kavanaugh assaulted her.  She ruined his good name and reputation.  They’re main argument (unsaid) is that she is lying.   Why is a senator and future justice afraid?