Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Js1 said:

And yet you can't stop sucking Flake's dick? He's just as bad!

I have said Flake disappoints me and he’s not just as bad.  Collins walks the tightrope and tries to play both sides, basically a Republican version of Hillary Clinton.  She sucks.

Flake on the other hand is hated by both the right and the left.  I liked Flake early on because he showed initiative in denouncing Trumpism.  My hope was more Republicans would follow his lead.  That didn’t happen.  It backfired on Flake as he only alienated himself more in the Republican Party.  Yeah, he should have pushed harder and doubled down but I can’t blame the guy for trying. 

Susan Collins hasn’t tried to lead jack shit. 

9 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Miserable about what? This is a high stakes game of a Supreme Court nomination. 

It must be miserable to think Ford is doing this as a partisan game, as you do.  Politicians do controversial shit that is part of the game.  Normal people don't bring this much shit into their lives, basically ruining it, unless they know the event occurred.   

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

The smiling fair photo?  Thats what he quit over. No evidence of anything but a picture with a fan.

He didnt resign over the USO thing even though it was worse. 

The USO accuser forgave him and said that she didn't want to harm his position. Franken also acknowledged the incident and apologized. In his apology, he said he remembered the incident prior to going on stage differently, but he didn't want to say that the accuser was lying.

Franken did take responsibility for what he did on that occasion and the other reports of butt squeezes. 

There is no parallel to Kavanaugh and the GOPs responding to Ford. And by "GOPs" I include the rank and file amateur operatives lining up to obfuscate, lie, and demean. Shame on them and you. But you're shameless partisan hacks; there is no shaming you.

18 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

It must be miserable to think Ford is doing this as a partisan game, as you do.  Politicians do controversial shit that is part of the game.  Normal people don't bring this much shit into their lives, basically ruining it, unless they know the event occurred.   

People also don't normally get dragged out of Senate hearings kicking and screaming.

There is nothing normal about this.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Where did ‘ol Brett get all that money? What happened between 2005 and Feb 2006? Maybe he placed a wager on a certain college football team in the Rose bowl? Maybe his bookies were going to break his legs and then it was 4th and 5 and then he was saved. Maybe this is all Mack Brown’s fault. 

This seems like a big deal.  Has it been explained?   It would seem that financial shenanigans can actually be investigated fairly easily.

3 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

I have no idea what Ford’s motives are and neither do you. You choose to believe her and I choose to be skeptical, I suspect that’s where we’ll be when the senators vote. That’s what I meant by my statement, but continue with your psychoanalysis Sigmund. 

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

People also don't normally get dragged out of Senate hearings kicking and screaming.

There is nothing normal about this.

Absolutely nothing normal about the hearings. I don't think a political protest by activists is anywhere remotely close to an attempted rape accusal.  Your comparison and downplaying the seriousness of the accusation is weak.  

8 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

If Biden had been where we needed him to be in 2016, we wouldn't be stuck in this version of reality. 

Dude wanted to retire and be with family. He already had a long career.  Can't fault him for that.  The fault is with the under 65 Dems who decided not to run. 

3 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Absolutely nothing normal about the hearings. I don't think a political protest by activists is anywhere remotely close to an attempted rape accusal.  Your comparison and downplaying the seriousness of the accusation is weak.  

It's wasn't a comparison, it was a commentary.

Just now, Chrispy said:

I have no idea what Ford’s motives are and neither do you. You choose to believe her and I choose to be skeptical, I suspect that’s where we’ll be when the senators vote. That’s what I meant by my statement, but continue with your psychoanalysis Sigmund. 

I choose to take her accusation seriously and hope it is investigated by the FBI or whatever means necessary.  You don't because it might hurt your team and choose to believe she's a liar.  If you were skeptical, you wouldn't mind an investigation to happen.  Instead, the marching orders are the confirmation must proceed as fast as possible.   

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Politically, the worst move for the Republicans is to confirm someone with public, credible allegations of sexual assault.  I don't think the hearings will alter any votes in the Senate, but if her claims seem legit during testimony, it will absolutely carryover into November.  It is astonishing how short-sighted Republican leadership is being with this.

There is a very specific reason they want this partisan slimeball, and it isn't his stand on abortion or guns. It's about increasing the chance that GOP criminals can escape jail.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The evidence clearly demonstrates that my negative characterization of you was not gratuitous.

You are a liar.  A lying liar who lies.  That much is clear.

The evidence indicates he made an error, not that he lied. And equating logical fallacies with lying is ignorant at best. I know you know better than that. 

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

There is a very specific reason they want this partisan slimeball, and it isn't his stand on abortion or guns. It's about increasing the chance that GOP criminals can escape jail.

Exactly.  They had a list of 20 folks from the Federalist Society that are more than plenty conservative and more than likely don't have a rape accusation in their past.  Trump used his stable genius powers and personally added him to the list of judges.  The Senate isn't going to bat for just any old conservative on this, they think he is special for them and their personal future.  

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

- Highly suspect financial dealings

- Multiple instances of dishonesty under oath

- Credible accusation of sexual assault

Normal GOP voter: "Don't see a problem here!"

Normal GOP office holder: "He checks all the boxes. He's just the guy we need!"

33 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

He [McConnell] doesn't care.  He's a total cynic.  He cares only about power and flexing the power.  The end result, good or bad, matters not a whit to him.

Not that we haven't been there for quite awhile now, but we're at the point that our elected leaders are saying F you if you think that this inquiry is going to be objective at all or have any effect on the final vote. BK is your new SC justice.

2 hours ago, Aphelion said:

someone can write a letter from a 35 year old event with no corroborating evidence and no plausible way to provide any additional evidence and that is enough to remove a SC nominee.  So all it takes is one accusation with no supporting evidence as long as the person doesn't seem crazy.   

Negged for obfuscation and lying.

There is corroborating evidence and it's no secret. Willful lie.

No plausible way to provide additional evidence? Certainly true if you don't look for it. Unsupportable since the accuser has asked for the FBI to look for that evidence. Willful lie and obfuscation.

That is enough to remove a SC nominee? Obfuscation based on above lies and obfuscation.

15 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

I choose to take her accusation seriously and hope it is investigated by the FBI or whatever means necessary.  You don't because it might hurt your team and choose to believe she's a liar.  If you were skeptical, you wouldn't mind an investigation to happen.  Instead, the marching orders are the confirmation must proceed as fast as possible.   

Who said I didn’t want an investigation? You’re ascribing arguments to me that I have yet to posit. 

10 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Who said I didn’t want an investigation? You’re ascribing arguments to me that I have yet to posit. 

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

Which gives weight to the argument this is politically. She wants the R senators to have to question her so they they can get raked across the coals buy the Ds. If she really just wants the truth to come out it should not matter who asks the questions. 

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

This isn’t about truth. 

You did.  You said it is about her doing this for political purposes and not for the truth that she believes a guy that tried to rape her shouldn't have a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.  

She wasn't asking for the political stuff, I was talking about it.  All she asked for was an investigation.  

22 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Exactly.  They had a list of 20 folks from the Federalist Society that are more than plenty conservative and more than likely don't have a rape accusation in their past.  Trump used his stable genius powers and personally added him to the list of judges.  The Senate isn't going to bat for just any old conservative on this, they think he is special for them and their personal future.  

Undoubtedly. There are plenty of upright, fair conservative judges they could have chosen from. They didn't.

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Negged for obfuscation and lying.

There is corroborating evidence and it's no secret. Willful lie.

No plausible way to provide additional evidence? Certainly true if you don't look for it. Unsupportable since the accuser has asked for the FBI to look for that evidence. Willful lie and obfuscation.

That is enough to remove a SC nominee? Obfuscation based on above lies and obfuscation.

There is no external evidence other than the claims of a single person.  She told her therapist 5 years ago that she was attacked in high school (but no names are mentioned in the report) and she allegedly took a polygraph (she might as well have taken a tarot card or tea leave test).  Both of these go back to the same source of Dr. Ford.  The other people she has named as having involvement have denied the accusations.  As far as I am aware, there is not any other external (i.e. not ultimately traced back to what Dr. Ford has claimed) corroborating evidence.

Again, she does deserve to be heard and I hope she testifies and there is a good faith investigation into all claims.  But if it all comes down to the testimony of a single person with no external evidence or any other confirming testimonies, then I don't  think that is sufficient for removing the nomination.  Even BT seems to agree with this.  Just don't phrase it to him with conditionals or that will confuse him.  

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

You did.  You said it is about her doing this for political purposes and not for the truth that she believes a guy that tried to rape her shouldn't have a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.  

She wasn't asking for the political stuff, I was talking about it.  All she asked for was an investigation.  

I’ve maintained that an investigation would be good for everyone, so I’m afraid you’re incorrect. My position is that the truth is irrelevant since it’s very unlikely that we’ll ever know what transpired, political theatre will decide his guilt. 

Just now, Chrispy said:

I’ve maintained that an investigation would be good for everyone, so I’m afraid you’re incorrect. My position is that the truth is irrelevant since it’s very unlikely that we’ll ever know what transpired, political theatre will decide his guilt. 

If an FBI investigation is what you've maintained, then I apologize.  It seemed to me by your reaction to the previous poster that you felt that her accusation was politically motivated as the other poster insinuated. If that is not your position, and you believe she is doing this out of her honest conviction to get the truth out, then I was wrong in assuming so.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

If an FBI investigation is what you've maintained, then I apologize.  It seemed to me by your reaction to the previous poster that you felt that her accusation was politically motivated as the other poster insinuated. If that is not your position, and you believe she is doing this out of her honest conviction to get the truth out, then I was wrong in assuming so.  

He's on record as supporting an investigation after Kavanaugh is confirmed.

Some 9.95 talk.  Don't shoot the messenger. 

Kav is already fucked.  Once an investigation starts you need to at least look at circumstantial evidence.  That would include some of the 'activities' Kav and his buddies partook in.  Now much of it is appalling, but not that out of bounds for rich white teen boys...but once it comes out he will be roasted. 

This insider was 'alarmed' bc he's a supporter...my response 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes - the prize may take a few decades to come, but thems the breaks'. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Kav is already fucked.  Once an investigation starts you need to at least look at circumstantial evidence.  That would include some of the 'activities' Kav and his buddies partook in.  Now much of it is appalling, but not that out of bounds for rich white teen boys...but once it comes out he will be roasted. 

This insider was 'alarmed' bc he's a supporter...my response 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes - the prize may take a few decades to come, but thems the breaks'. 

McConnell already on record he will plow through the confirmation. I just can’t see them calling it off. 

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

McConnell already on record he will plow through the confirmation. I just can’t see them calling it off. 

Pence also said today it is going to happen. They are circling the wagons here and barring some huge change when/if she testifies next week this is happening. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/21/trump-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-charges-834664

She can't be there on Monday because she's afraid of confined spaces and doesn't want to fly? 

"The GOP has been told that Ford does not want to fly from her California home to Washington, according to the Republican senator, which means she may need to drive across the country to make the hearing. Ford has reportedly told friends she is uncomfortable in confined spaces, indicating a physical difficulty in making the trip by plane"

2 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Pence also said today it is going to happen. They are circling the wagons here and barring some huge change when/if she testifies next week this is happening. 

I think this is all premature. If Ford goes out and gives convincing testimony and flips two of Murkowski, Collins, Flake or Corker and the GOP leaders know that to be the case, then they will call it off so that they can all save face. It will not go to a vote if the votes are not there. 

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/21/trump-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-charges-834664

She can't be there on Monday because she's afraid of confined spaces and doesn't want to fly? 

"The GOP has been told that Ford does not want to fly from her California home to Washington, according to the Republican senator, which means she may need to drive across the country to make the hearing. Ford has reportedly told friends she is uncomfortable in confined spaces, indicating a physical difficulty in making the trip by plane"

This can’t be real... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

I guess she has a really really big car?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m hearing Kav is cooked too. 

We will just have to wait and see.

I didn’t think Kav would make it through the weekend 

5 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I think this is all premature. If Ford goes out and gives convincing testimony and flips two of Murkowski, Collins, Flake or Corker and the GOP leaders know that to be the case, then they will call it off so that they can all save face. It will not go to a vote if the votes are not there. 

I doubt that can happen. No matter what she says, how she says it, Hannity will be screaming how she looked like she was lying. WHat are the chances Hannity or Trump come up out and say, you know what, I believe her?

1 minute ago, sachick said:

I doubt that can happen. No matter what she says, how she says it, Hannity will be screaming how she looked like she was lying. WHat are the chances Hannity or Trump come up out and say, you know what, I believe her?

The four senators I listed are not part of the Hannity crowd. I have no doubt that our esteemed Senators from Texas will base their judgement of her testimony on the reaction of Hannity and Tucker, but there are still some National Review type republicans in today's world and if two of them flip, it's not going to a vote. 

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

The second she's done testifying, they're scheduling the vote.  It doesn't matter if she says she can point out a mole on his toadstool or has an autograph in her yearbook from him saying, "Remember that time I tried to rape you?" they're going to ram this thing through. 

Yeah, that’s what they want to do but come time, the votes won’t be there. 

My prediction: Kavanaugh withdraws himself and McConnell will be like, “It’s very sad, we had all the votes but shit happens.”

14 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Whole situation is the best comedy of 2018. So transparently funny. Who needs Russia when you corruption right at home.

Lmao 

15 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

m_xanaxt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1