Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So she hasn’t been on a plane in 35 years?

is that what we are going with?  Has anyone come forward to accuse George Washington yet?

How dare you question the ways in which her trauma manifests itself.

She also has a fear of speeds over 5.5MPH.  She will be there Nov 21st

• Like 3

I would bet the family farm  that Mitch McConnell knows the position of each GOP Senator.  And I'll further bet that he has been assured by all that, absent damning testimony by the accuser (something backed up by facts which can be corroborated), they will vote to confirm Kavanaugh.  If this were not the case he and Grassley would be acting very differently.  The signals are clear to anyone watching.  They have the votes and they are plowing forward.

It is also clear to anyone watching that this accuser isn't chomping at the bit to testify.  She's looking for any excuse not to testify and blame it on the GOP.  In fact I think it's likely she has decided not to testify, and her lawyer is trying hard to create such an excuse.

22 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/21/trump-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-charges-834664

She can't be there on Monday because she's afraid of confined spaces and doesn't want to fly? 

"The GOP has been told that Ford does not want to fly from her California home to Washington, according to the Republican senator, which means she may need to drive across the country to make the hearing. Ford has reportedly told friends she is uncomfortable in confined spaces, indicating a physical difficulty in making the trip by plane"

Image result for john madden

• Like 2

Ford has until 5 p.m. ET to respond to Senate GOP offer

From CNN's Man Raju

Christine Blasey Ford and her legal team have until 5 p.m. ET to respond to the Senate GOP offer, a source says.

The offer... 

• Proposes Wednesday as the hearing date.
  • Calls for the use of an outside counsel (instead of having senators ask the questions).
  • Calls for Ford to testify first, before Brett Kavanaugh.

2 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

From CNN's Man Raju

Christine Blasey Ford and her legal team have until 5 p.m. ET to respond to the Senate GOP offer, a source says.

The offer... 

• Calls for the use of an outside counsel (instead of having senators ask the questions).

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

From CNN's Man Raju

The offer... 

•  
  •  

I nominate Ted Crockett.

8 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

I would bet the family farm  that Mitch McConnell knows the position of each GOP Senator.  And I'll further bet that he has been assured by all that, absent damning testimony by the accuser (something backed up by facts which can be corroborated), they will vote to confirm Kavanaugh.  If this were not the case he and Grassley would be acting very differently.  The signals are clear to anyone watching.  They have the votes and they are plowing forward.

It is also clear to anyone watching that this accuser isn't chomping at the bit to testify.  She's looking for any excuse not to testify and blame it on the GOP.  In fact I think it's likely she has decided not to testify, and her lawyer is trying hard to create such an excuse.

Yeah no, the GOP has been in damage control all week.  They don’t want her to testify.  They are working their hardest to deter her from doing so.  They want a way out of this without looking like chumps.  They are putting on a front to appear strong, united, and in control of the situation.

The truth is it’s falling apart.  Many senators do not want to sign their political fate to Kavanaugh’s appointment.  If the truth on Kavanaugh’s past emerges (it will), that stink will be with them for eternity.  They don’t want to take that risk when the alternative is so much more appealing.  

27 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

They don't know if they have the votes. If they did, they would have already voted by now. 

52 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/21/trump-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-charges-834664

She can't be there on Monday because she's afraid of confined spaces and doesn't want to fly? 

"The GOP has been told that Ford does not want to fly from her California home to Washington, according to the Republican senator, which means she may need to drive across the country to make the hearing. Ford has reportedly told friends she is uncomfortable in confined spaces, indicating a physical difficulty in making the trip by plane"

Man, fuck that bitch.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Where did ‘ol Brett get all that money? What happened between 2005 and Feb 2006? Maybe he placed a wager on a certain college football team in the Rose bowl? Maybe his bookies were going to break his legs and then it was 4th and 5 and then he was saved. Maybe this is all Mack Brown’s fault. 

2006... home loans weren't exactly difficult to get back then.

36 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

From CNN's Man Raju

The offer... 

Counter offer....

Ford and Gump will be jogging to DC starting next Wednesday. Hopeful to make it by 2019. Contruibte to the go fund me below

#4shitsandtruckstops

Allsups to provide fried burritos free of charge. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

55 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

The four senators I listed are not part of the Hannity crowd. I have no doubt that our esteemed Senators from Texas will base their judgement of her testimony on the reaction of Hannity and Tucker, but there are still some National Review type republicans in today's world and if two of them flip, it's not going to a vote. 

Exactly.  People act like every single R is a trumptard.  Just a couple saying no and he’s toast.  

You know, people of honor are ashamed of cheating to win. There have been games, including the very first one I attended at DKR, that we won on bad calls, and I never truly accepted them as wins. I am not an "Well, I'll take it," or "A win's a win" kind of guy when it comes to shady referees.  I have a friend who is as big an LSU fan as there is on the planet -- a break the furniture type when they lose type of Tygah -- and he doesn't believe they were legit NCs that year they won it with two losses. He has honor. 

Those of you who want to ignore established precedent and procedure here so you can get this effete bully-ass twerp on the bench by hook or crook have absolutely no honor whatsoever. I hope, but sincerely doubt, you realize that, and if on the off chance that you do realize that you are bereft of even a shred of honor, that it keeps you awake at night, and gives you heartburn, constipation, and erectile dysfunction. Because cheating to win sucks. 

Every time you hear or read his name or see his face on TV, unless you are a total sociopath (a contingency I cannot rule out for some of you), there will be some tiny little voice of shame deep down inside, because even if Dr Ford never came on the scene, there are so many other questions about this sleaze, questions the GOP gave the Dems no chance to explore. And all of this because Sith Lord McConnell has no honor whatsoever. It's a concept he knows well, I believe, and choose to act in exactly the opposite fashion at every opportunity. We couldn't even begin to confirm Merrick Garland until after the election because the American people deserved to have their say, right? That presidential election was a referendum on the court, right? And millions more voted against that loathsome crapulent orangutang than voted for him, right? 

Tough shit. I'm gonna cram two hardcore conservatives down your throat because MAGA. Or something. 

And if any of you are still Trumpsters, once this judge is in, be it BK or some other toadie, Trump will cease to be of use to Mitch. Two judges in, tax cuts, check, sayonara, Donny Boy, thanks for tackling Brian Orakpo on that rush so Michael Crabtree could catch that pass. 

You are cheaters. Cheating is bad. You should feel horrible and I hope you do. I hope your wives look at you funny and your kids never call you. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

How about this, the Clinton whataboutism surrounding it on page 75, and the subtle trolling?

Thread drift over. 

No trolling at all.  The Clintons have been front and center of Democratic Party politics thru  the last election. His history was full of allegations (strong allegations from multiple women) and the party stood behind him lockstep and called the the women liars, trailer park trash, etc . So tell me again how that's whataboutism. The what aboutism I see  daily is we can call your folks out but don't you do dare call ours for their past transgressions.

And at no time in this thread have I made light of the charges brought against Kavanaugh, or suggested the Clintons  issues give Kavanaugh a pass.

So save you tsk tsk for yourself for not even being able to acknowledge what was going on with the man many in the  democrat party hail as a hero of the the party. And a wife who fully participated in the attack on his accusers who was voted for by many here in 2016. 2016 isn't whataboutism

it's the last fucking election. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No trolling at all.  The Clintons have been front and center of Democratic Party politics thru  the last election. His history was full of allegations (strong allegations from multiple women) and the party stood behind him lockstep and called the the women liars, trailer park trash, etc . So tell me again how that's whataboutism. The what aboutism I see  daily is we can call your folks out but don't you do dare call ours for their past transgressions.

And at no time in this thread have I made light of the charges brought against Kavanaugh, or suggested the Clintons  issues give Kavanaugh a pass.

So save you tsk tsk for yourself for not even being able to acknowledge what was going on with the man many in the  democrat party hail as a hero of the the party. And a wife who fully participated in the attack on his accusers who was voted for by many here in 2016. 2016 isn't whataboutism

it's the last fucking election. 

Honest question, do you think Bill Clinton would get Senate confirmed to the Supreme Court for a lifetime appointment?

If no, your whataboutism falls flat.

If yes, you’re full of shit.

• Like 1

hahahaha the swift boaters helped Whelan with his smearing of Kav's classmate?

CRC Public Relations, the prominent Alexandria, Virginia-based P.R. firm, guided Whelan through his roller-coaster week of Twitter pronouncements that ended in embarrassment and a potential setback for Kavanaugh’s hopes of landing on the high court, according to three sources familiar with their dealings.

Best known for its work with the Swift Boat Veterans in 2004, CRC bills itself as a full-service communications firm “specializing in media relations, social media and issues management,” according to its website. It has long been the go-to communications firm for conservative organizations in Washington and across the country. Its current clients include the Federalist Society and the Judicial Crisis Network, the chief outside groups working to help confirm Kavanaugh.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/21/ed-whelan-kavanaugh-tweets-pr-firm-836405

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And at no time in this thread have I made light of the charges brought against Kavanaugh.

True.  I will grant you this.  I think your earlier posts implied that because the democrats chose team over all else with Clinton that somehow justifies the current reaction among those supporting Kavanaugh and shaming Dr. Blasey.

FWIW I thought Clinton was rightly impeached and should have been removed from office for sexual harassment (Lewinsky was not in a position to give full consent).  I don't have an opinion on the alleged sexual assaults since there seemed to be lots of conflicting evidence as I recall it.

Second thread drift over.

hahahaha the swift boaters helped Whelan with his smearing of Kav's classmate?
CRC Public Relations, the prominent Alexandria, Virginia-based P.R. firm, guided Whelan through his roller-coaster week of Twitter pronouncements that ended in embarrassment and a potential setback for Kavanaugh’s hopes of landing on the high court, according to three sources familiar with their dealings.
Best known for its work with the Swift Boat Veterans in 2004, CRC bills itself as a full-service communications firm “specializing in media relations, social media and issues management,” according to its website. It has long been the go-to communications firm for conservative organizations in Washington and across the country. Its current clients include the Federalist Society and the Judicial Crisis Network, the chief outside groups working to help confirm Kavanaugh.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/21/ed-whelan-kavanaugh-tweets-pr-firm-836405

Wow. Swift Boat PR firm makes an appearance.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

True.  I will grant you this.  I think your earlier posts implied that because the democrats chose team over all else with Clinton that somehow justifies the current reaction among those supporting Kavanaugh and shaming Dr. Blasey.

FWIW I thought Clinton was rightly impeached and should have been removed from office for sexual harassment (Lewinsky was not in a position to give full consent).  I don't have an opinion on the alleged sexual assaults since there seemed to be lots of conflicting evidence as I recall it.

Hell no, I've said in multiple posts if there's a hint of impropriety his confirmation should be held up.  Party politics has no place in SCOTUS selections (unfortunately is does play a part).

Of all of the things Clinton did the Lewinsky affair took the cake for me.  He still didn't get vilification from his party in any measure you could call throwing him under the bus.  And there were countless whataboutism references to FDR, Kennedy, et al at the time trying to brush it off as no big deal.

And yeah it's a bit of a thread drift, but the comparisons are there to see how parties have treated their own in the recent past, when you also consider Hillaries role in the Bimbo eruption scandals and her running for president in 2016.

Politics continue to be interesting.  3d chess.  She ain't testifying, she never planned to.  Negotiations are a sham designed to allow her to say Republicans wouldn't let her testify. Then later she produces the 2nd witness who also never has to tell a story under oath that corroborates some aspect of her story.  But there's no way Ed Whelan throws out the wrong ID story if Kavanaugh allies weren't ready to corroborate.  So, the projection is no testimony, and confirmation (well, assuming Trump can restrain himself--how long til he loses Collins by tweeting Ford was too ugly to rape anyway?), and then D's say the R's elevated a rapist to the Supreme Court.  The R's counter with the bitch didn't finger the right guy.  And nobody has to testify under oath.  Just another normal day in American politics these days.

19 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Susan Collins was one of about 5 Rs to vote not guilty on both Clinton impeachment charges. I don't think the R votes made a difference in conviction or not, but still interesting.

10 Rs voted not guilty on the perjury charge. Final vote was not guilty 55 & guilty 45. 67 needed to convict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton#Senate_votes

Edited by retread

17 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Politics continue to be interesting.  3d chess.  She ain't testifying, she never planned to.  Negotiations are a sham designed to allow her to say Republicans wouldn't let her testify. Then later she produces the 2nd witness who also never has to tell a story under oath that corroborates some aspect of her story.  But there's no way Ed Whelan throws out the wrong ID story if Kavanaugh allies weren't ready to corroborate.  So, the projection is no testimony, and confirmation (well, assuming Trump can restrain himself--how long til he loses Collins by tweeting Ford was too ugly to rape anyway?), and then D's say the R's elevated a rapist to the Supreme Court.  The R's counter with the bitch didn't finger the right guy.  And nobody has to testify under oath.  Just another normal day in American politics these days.

No matter what happens, the Republicans have already lost.

This is pretty much just political now. Pretty sure the statute of limitations in MD wouldn't allow for any criminal case. 

Never really seen FBI background checks go beyond 10 years. 

What exactly do they want? 

Sucks for her if true......sucks for him if it's not. 

I think these types of tactics will be even worse if that old lady dies while trump is in office.  

• Fuck You 1

Just now, dOUblewide said:

This is pretty much just political now. Pretty sure the statute of limitations in MD wouldn't allow for any criminal case. 

Never really seen FBI background checks go beyond 10 years. 

What exactly do they want? 

Sucks for her if true......sucks for him if it's not. 

I think these types of tactics will be even worse if that old lady dies while trump is in office.  

There is no statute of limitations for felony sex offenses in Maryland.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It is my understanding there is no statute of limitations for rape in Maryland.

I think it depends on SOL at the time of the alleged abuse.....and the seriousness of the abuse. 

And if not she should try. If he was arrested for attempted rape tonight there is no way he'd get confirmed. 

• Fuck You 1