Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

More on Ms. Leland Keyser

1) A lifelong friend of Dr. Ford

2) Once married to Bob Beckel

Ford should just recant her story now, even her lifelong friend isn't supporting her. Of course, even if she did recant her story, every lib on this thread would still believe Kavanaugh assaulted her.

"The Washington Post reported late Saturday that it had talked to Keyser, who told the paper she believed Ford's allegation."

I get the feeling some of you would have no qualms lying about remembering being at a party to help your friend... it therefore blows your mind that someone can believe Kavanaugh sexually assaulted Ford at a party they were at, and also have no memory being there because it was an unremarkable party (for them at least) 30something years ago. 

4 minutes ago, bmore said:

"The Washington Post reported late Saturday that it had talked to Keyser, who told the paper she believed Ford's allegation."

I get the feeling some of you would have no qualms lying about remembering being at a party to help your friend... it therefore blows your mind that someone can believe Kavanaugh sexually assaulted Ford at a party they were at, and also have no memory being there because it was an unremarkable party (for them at least) 30something years ago. 

Interesting that she "believes" Ford but didn't say that in her official statement to the committee. She also said she couldn't put Ford and Kavanaugh in the same place at the same time ever. That same article didn't have a single quote from Keyser, or even mention the statement issued through her attorney. Solid reporting as always from the Post.

If this really about justice for an attempted rape victim, then why has not ever Dem. and every lib, pleaded for her to file a police report? Under Maryland law, this could still be prosecuted. The real reason, is because it's not about justice, it's a political game, and due to the total lack of evidence and any corroborating witnesses that can put Kavanaugh and Ford in the same place, the investigation would be closed as soon as it was opened.

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Interesting that she "believes" Ford but didn't say that in her official statement to the committee. She also said she couldn't put Ford and Kavanaugh in the same place at the same time ever. That same article didn't have a single quote from Keyser, or even mention the statement issued through her attorney. Solid reporting as always from the Post.

If this really about justice for an attempted rape victim, then why has not ever Dem. and every lib, pleaded for her to file a police report? Under Maryland law, this could still be prosecuted. The real reason, is because it's not about justice, it's a political game, and due to the total lack of evidence and any corroborating witnesses that can put Kavanaugh and Ford in the same place, the investigation would be closed as soon as it was opened.

It's not supposed to be about justice. It's supposed to be about politics when it's in front of the Senate.

Why is this confusing?

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Why do we appoint justices to the Supreme Court for life?

Equally dumb. 

judges do not need lifetime appointments.  While I understand wanting to keep them above the politics, it doesn’t have to be lifetime.   You think we could settle on a 10-15 year term.

the farmers of the constitution  never thought someone would be on the bench for 25+ years.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

judges do not need lifetime appointments.  While I understand wanting to keep them above the politics, it doesn’t have to be lifetime.   You think we could settle on a 10-15 year term.

the farmers of the constitution  never thought someone would be on the bench for 25+ years.

I was thinking 16 year terms so you get three to four presidential election cycles.

Assuming nominees are over 45 years old, It allows the judge to depart the bench in their 60s or 70s and we don’t end up with 95 year old justices.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was thinking 16 year terms so you get three to four presidential election cycles.

Assuming nominees are over 45 years old, It allows the judge to depart the bench in their 60s or 70s and we don’t end up with 95 year old justices.

And the likelihood of something like this ever becoming law?

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We say stuff like this-kind of like how we claim they never intended anyone to spend decades in Congress-but their own actions don’t really indicate it. 4 of the 15 longest serving justices were confirmed in 1812 or earlier (and 2 more by the 1830s), most famously John Marshall, the longest serving Chief Justice.

Its true that justices are serving longer now on average-20+ years instead of 15ish years a century ago. A lot of that is driven by them being appointed at younger ages now than previously. But I don’t think there’s any evidence of a philosophical objection to lengthy terms by the Framers, just a coincidence of younger judges now and living longer. The first and second generation of justices didn’t act like they thought it was some sort of sacred principal, anyway.

Edited by formermav43

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is an obvious intentional leak.  

Why would they leak this information?

I think that's bait for the D's on the panel to overextend themselves in questioning BK and ask something really beyond the pale, putting him in a position to claim being the "victim."

Because being able to claim ground as the biggest victim is what is really important in politics.

Sen. Hirono was on CNN w Tapper and basically said that an investigation into BK would continue even if confirmed - too much smoke on multiple fronts.  If R's lose the Senate in the midterms, there is a good likelihood a BK confirmation that gets rammed through now could lead to impeachment.  It is beyond reckless for R's to not pull BK in favor of an unimpeachable conservative judge.

Five Times Brett Kavanaugh Appears to Have Lied to Congress While Under Oath 

-His role in accessing stolen documents

-Warrantless wiretapping

-Torture

-The nomination of Judge William Pryor

-The nomination of Charles Pickering

(Not including any lying about participation in sexual assault 30 years ago or knowledge/coordination with the WH/Hatch's office/Whelan et al to cover it up)

I think many people on the left figure Kavanaugh won't be able to effectively refute this.  After all who can say where they were 36 years ago. Obviously, it is tough to have an alibi when the accusations are so vague regarding time and place. The Senate will be trying to pin her down on that, and the more vague her answers, the more difficult to refute. But also the less credible they will seem. You were 15. Was it summer?  Beginning of summmer?  End of summer? etc. etc.  

But after thinking about it,  the fact that he was still in high school may help him out.  Did he even drink when he was 17?  Had he ever been drunk?  I hadn't (yeah, yeah, late bloomer)  Athletics were important to me, and I had a few drinks during the summer between my junior and senior year, then nothing until the spring.  I had one friend who was a straight arrow who never drank at all until he went to UT.  Yes, it may be difficult to prove absolutely, but he may have some strong circumstantial evidence that will be believable.  Her story is that he was drunk.  I could effectively refute that.  He may be able to as well.  He was also from a wealthy family.  It's very possible he was gone most of the summer, and can prove it.  I frequently was, even if it was considerably less glamorous than vacationing in Europe.

And given, the way Republicans have bent over backwards to get her testimony, when she gave them reason to just shut her down, I have to believe the Republicans believe Kavanaugh will make a good showing.  I still think she finds an excuse to not testify, but we will see.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I think many people on the left figure Kavanaugh won't be able to effectively refute this.  After all who can say where they were 36 years ago. Obviously, it is tough to have an alibi when the accusations are so vague regarding time and place. The Senate will be trying to pin her down on that, and the more vague her answers, the more difficult to refute. But also the less credible they will seem. You were 15. Was it summer?  Beginning of summmer?  End of summer? etc. etc.  

But after thinking about it,  the fact that he was still in high school may help him out.  Did he even drink when he was 17?  Had he ever been drunk?  I hadn't (yeah, yeah, late bloomer)  Athletics were important to me, and I had a few drinks during the summer between my junior and senior year, then nothing until the spring.  I had one friend who was a straight arrow who never drank at all until he went to UT.  Yes, it may be difficult to prove absolutely, but he may have some strong circumstantial evidence that will be believable.  Her story is that he was drunk.  I could effectively refute that.  He may be able to as well.  He was also from a wealthy family.  It's very possible he was gone most of the summer, and can prove it.  I frequently was, even if it was considerably less glamorous than vacationing in Europe.

And given, the way Republicans have bent over backwards to get her testimony, when she gave them reason to just shut her down, I have to believe the Republicans believe Kavanaugh will make a good showing.  I still think she finds an excuse to not testify, but we will see.

It's going to be terrible for him. 

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

But after thinking about it,  the fact that he was still in high school may help him out.  Did he even drink when he was 17?  Had he ever been drunk? 

His buddy wrote a memoir about his alcoholic life and the character "Bart O'Kavanaugh" was a big drinker.

Coincidence, probably.

And how "effective" his refutation is depends on the audience. I'm going to think he's guilty and awful and that prep school elite white men are garbage. Anastasis is going to think he's innnocent and wonderful and that women are lying whores. Bing bong.

Edited by bad_teammate

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

His buddy wrote a memoir about his alcoholic life and the character "Bart O'Kavanaugh" was a big drinker.

Coincidence, probably. 

And how "effective" his refutation is depends on the audience. I'm going to think he's guilty and awful and that prep school elite white men are garbage. Anastasis is going to think he's innnocent and wonderful and that women are lying whores. Bing bong.

I have no idea whether Kavanaugh was a big drinker and partier in high school.  But he has so many people talking about his character and integrity, I doubt it.  As to the character, who knows?  Maybe the joke was Kavanaugh was a teetotaler.  That WILL come out, so we won't have to speculate.  As to the character, who knows? 

20 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

it's almost like there is very little information about the accusation, and that more information (maybe from some sort of impartial investigation) would be helpful in determining the credibility of her claims

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

it's almost like there is very little information about the accusation, and that more information (maybe from some sort of impartial investigation) would be helpful in determining the credibility of her claims

It’s been pretty clear the Republicans have worked their asses off to conceal any unfavorable information about Kavanaugh’s past while spending millions of dollars in television ads trying to sell him to the American people as a wholesome family man.

The saddest part about it is the Republican voters cheer this type of deceptive behavior on and don’t realize their rights are just as in jeopardy as everyone else’s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s been pretty clear the Republicans have worked their asses off to conceal any unfavorable information about Kavanaugh’s past while spending millions of dollars in television ads trying to sell him to the American people as a wholesome family man.

The saddest part about it is the Republican voters cheer this type of deceptive behavior on and don’t realize their rights are just as in jeopardy as everyone else’s.

There are two female former federal prosecutors on the Democratic side just waiting to ask him some questions.

One of them is running for president.

43 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I have no idea whether Kavanaugh was a big drinker and partier in high school.  But he has so many people talking about his character and integrity, I doubt it.  As to the character, who knows?  Maybe the joke was Kavanaugh was a teetotaler.  That WILL come out, so we won't have to speculate.  As to the character, who knows? 

He called himself treasurer "Keg City Club - 100 Kegs or Bust" in his HS yearbook.

Dearest Grandmother,

I was at an iced cream social with my school chums to celebrate our hard work and studies. An unfortunate trollop attempted to get me to rape her, but she was unsuccessful. She is, tragically, a lib cuck.

Yours most dutifully,

Bart O'Kavanaugh
Treasurer: Keg City Club

Edited by bad_teammate

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Pretty sure Kavanaugh was a DKE 

There's no Delta Kappa Epsilon at California University dude, you don't know your Greek system.  My buddy Steve Sanders was a pledge brother with him at Kappa Epsilon Gamma and knows all kinds of shit about this guy that's not in the public arena yet.