Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah sorry to derail a thread so chalk full of vetted truths and pithy insight.  But the KEG club thing kept coming up and couldn’t help myself.  

Honestly did not mean to take us on a tangent and dropped a dozen clues this was about 90210 characters.  And yes, we are middle aged men but if you dated any girl in the 90s, you’re lying if you say you never watched that show.  Fuck, now I got a handful of posters demanding I come forward with what I know about kavanaugh sexually assaulting someone at the Peach Pit........after dark.  

Tip of the cap to you, sir.

Brilliant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MixtyMotions said:

Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski understand the ugliness.  I don't think they'll tolerate the sliminess.  I think all 51 GOP Senators are mad as hell about the Dem tactics.

Can you enlighten us as to the "tactics" the Dems are using?

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Russian bots?

Not sure what your post is implying. My post was merely echoing what Lobo posted about 3 potential women that may have been harassed by Kavanaugh.  I've been pretty up front that if there's a credible accusation against him he needs to be withdrawn and or investigated in more detail to either clear his name or have his name dropped from consideration.

2 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

This is all coming from the group who paid "protesters" to disrupt the hearings. Fuck the Democrats. Let's have the hearing on Thursday and then confirm him.

Yes, because protesters have jack shit to do with his worthiness as a SCOTUS justice.  Party uber alles!

Be better.  "Best" appears to be out of the question.

Edited by jimmyjazz

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/theres-a-bear-market-in-kavanaugh-confirmation-odds-2018-09-24

The report from the New Yorker published online Sunday night sent the contract for Kavanaugh’s confirmation tumbling on the political betting market PredictIt, falling as low as 30 cents from about 65 cents before the article’s release.

By midday, the contract had rebounded somewhat, changing hands at 42 cents.

2 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

This is all coming from the group who paid "protesters" to disrupt the hearings. Fuck the Democrats. Let's have the hearing on Thursday and then confirm him.

What about the millions of dollars spent on pro-Kavanaugh television advertisements?

how is that any different from Soros paying protesters? (assuming something like that happened)

I’m in a very minuscule minority that wants a healthy Conservative party with actual values and principles. 
Even if Flake was pandering to the intellectual conservatives, it was pandering that we need now more than ever because the Republican Party’s identity has become one of nihilist absolutism.
It’s just ashame Flake is essentially the canary in the coal mine and both side despise him. 

I agree and I’ll go one further- I think the Democratic Party needs to find a place for principled conservatives. If Corker and Flake wanted to become Democrats I’d take them tomorrow and make them both Committee chairs- Corker on Foreign Relations, Flake on oversight.

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I agree and I’ll go one further- I think the Democratic Party needs to find a place for principled conservatives. If Corker and Flake wanted to become Democrats I’d take them tomorrow and make them both Committee chairs- Corker on Foreign Relations, Flake on oversight.

Thank you, but no. 

3 hours ago, MixtyMotions said:

Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski understand the ugliness.  I don't think they'll tolerate the sliminess.  I think all 51 GOP Senators are mad as hell about the Dem tactics.

The Iron Rule of DC is if you have the votes, you vote.  If you don't, you talk. McConnell doesn't have the votes.  Otherwise they'd have gone to the floor already and started the cloture clock.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The Iron Rule of DC is if you have the votes, you vote.  If you don't, you talk. McConnell doesn't have the votes.  Otherwise they'd have gone to the floor already and started the cloture clock.

The vote is a three step process.  The first vote is for the Judiciary Committee.  Collins and Murkowski are not on the Committee.  The whole drama has been when to hold that vote.

The GOP and the Dems have objectives in addition to the confirmation.   Gaining support for the midterms is a big part of the drama.  The hearings are all about the midterms.  I believe they have the votes to confirm.  The process is being handled the way Collins wants.  If she weren't on board they'd pull the plug. 

Just now, MixtyMotions said:

The vote is a three step process.  The first vote is for the Judiciary Committee.  Collins and Murkowski are not on the Committee.  The whole drama has been when to hold that vote.

The GOP and the Dems have objectives in addition to the confirmation.   Gaining support for the midterms is a big part of the drama.  The hearings are all about the midterms.  I believe they have the votes to confirm.  The process is being handled the way Collins wants.  If she weren't on board they'd pull the plug. 

They do not have a 51 vote whip count.

1 minute ago, Lagunamadre said:

Is there a scarier call to get for a politician than Ronan Farrow letting you know he's about to publish a story about you. 

The only thing worse, would be when Ronan’s dad was alive, if he got pissed at you, and had some “friends” visit you to show you the error of your ways. 

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

some R senators are on the record that they won't vote until they hear from Ford, with the addition that Ford has to come forward.  Since she is, McConnell has no choice but to wait.

Of curse they say that. They want to look fair and impartial.  They don't have to show their hand till Ford other does or doesn't testify.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Of curse they say that. They want to look fair and impartial.  They don't have to show their hand till Ford other does or doesn't testify.

So what you're saying is that they AREN'T fair or impartial, but they want to keep up appearances.  Ladies and gentlemen, the modern Republican Party.

53 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

agreed. the parties need to get back to being about the best ideas for the country instead of the best progressive or conservative ideas for the respective party. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

some R senators are on the record that they won't vote until they hear from Ford.

Why do we need to hear from Ford?  Kavanaugh has a rock solid alibi...have you not seen the calendar?  What else do you need?

I mean, I don' know about you guys, but I kept meticulous records of my activities when I was 17.  Just last week I was looking through 30 years of saved calendars when I noticed this entry.

"Tried to run a train on Sally with Mike, and Rick, but she woke up before my turn, so had to settle for attempted rape instead.  Worst party EVER!"

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

then we need to clear them all out until they realize that the people matter more than the fringes.

Well when corporations are considered people, the game has a serious tilt that's hard to counter act. Campaign finance laws are the answer, but of course the very People who legislate them are the ones who benefit from the status quo.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This.

Dude is legit. 

Legitimately sloppy and irresponsible:

"The Times had interviewed several dozen people over the past week in an attempt to corroborate her story, and could find no one with firsthand knowledge. Ms. Ramirez herself contacted former Yale classmates asking if they recalled the incident and told some of them that she could not be certain Mr. Kavanaugh was the one who exposed himself."  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/23/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-testify.html

Drunk, gaps in her memory, no direct eyewitnesses, denials by other claimed eyewitnesses, accuser called others before the story came out and told them she wasn't certain it was Kavanaugh.   Super legit.    

Just now, Aphelion said:

"The Times had interviewed several dozen people over the past week in an attempt to corroborate her story, and could find no one with firsthand knowledge. Ms. Ramirez herself contacted former Yale classmates asking if they recalled the incident and told some of them that she could not be certain Mr. Kavanaugh was the one who exposed himself."  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/23/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-testify.html

Drunk, gaps in her memory, no direct eyewitnesses, denials by other claimed eyewitnesses, accuser called others before the story came out and told them she wasn't certain it was Kavanaugh.   Super legit.    

He's legit because he echoes their perceptions.

2 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Did the Times talk to Ramirez?

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well when corporations are considered people, the game has a serious tilt that's hard to counter act. Campaign finance laws are the answer, but of course the very People who legislate them are the ones who benefit from the status quo.

agreed. but look at beto's campaign. he is kicking the shit out of cruz in terms of fundraising because millions of people giving a little can beat a few corporations or wealthy donors.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

Really?  Is that how it works?  How do you know that?

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

agreed. but look at beto's campaign. he is kicking the shit out of cruz in terms of fundraising because millions of people giving a little can beat a few corporations or wealthy donors.

yeah  I like that, but it's more the exception to the rule isn't it.  Keeping  that kind of grass roots support going on more than a local level or more than one election cycle is tough.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Unless you appoint supreme court justice that believe finance campaign laws are a restriction of the 1st amendment...

Ffs

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If you think 51 Senators are just going to rubber stamp Kavanaugh through now, you might be a little out of touch.  

They couldn’t even kill Obamacare which was the GOP campaign promise for eight years. 

Unless each senator has firsthand knowledge all of these stories are false, Kavanaugh shouldn't be confirmed at this time.  Too many red flags.  Now if the GOP really wants him confirmed, they need to take a step back and conduct the necessary investigations to either confirm or refute the accusations.