Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

8 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Ffs

Yeah, man, but she was drunk. Apply the Baylor rule. She deserves no consideration.

If Kavanaugh did all this shit, it will be a pleasure watching it bite him at his potentially highest moment. He learned to act with impunity as a young man, so who knows what he has been capable of since then. Just the kind of man the Trump party wants on the Supreme Court at their beck and call. 

Slimeball.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

McConnell currently on the Senate floor crying about the Kavanaugh being treated unfairly.

He doesn’t have the votes.

Otherwise he wouldn’t be bitching so much.

hey, mitch, you fake human being devoid of any sort of moral fabric, this is what happens when you sow the whirlwind, asshat. 

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

McConnell currently on the Senate floor crying about the Kavanaugh being treated unfairly.

This can't be real.  McConnell is seriously whining about someone else and ends justifying the means?  That is the only reason Gorsuch is on the bench right now.

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

3 minutes ago, retread said:

Rs have no shame. Turtle is a vile human being.

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

giphy.gif

Lying, shameless cunts the lot of them. This is as revealing as the Russia investigation. The GOP is rotten to the core. They've become what they claim the Dems are morally.

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Donald Trump is an awful human being because he has a personality disorder and knows no other way.

Mitch McConnell is an awful human being because he has calculated that it works in his favor politically.  I'd argue that's worse.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Ffs

I already read it.  Here are two points I think a cross examiner might focus on:

"She was at first hesitant to speak publicly, partly because her memories contained gaps because she had been drinking at the time of the alleged incident. In her initial conversations with The New Yorker, she was reluctant to characterize Kavanaugh’s role in the alleged incident with certainty. After six days of carefully assessing her memories and consulting with her attorney, Ramirez said that she felt confident enough of her recollections"

"Ramirez was chosen repeatedly, she said, and quickly became inebriated. At one point, she said, a male student pointed a gag plastic penis in her direction. Later, she said, she was on the floor, foggy and slurring her words."

Witnesses that have expressed uncertainty about 35 year old events and only remember more clearly after coaching, who have told others that they are not sure about their accusations, and who by their own admission were lying on the floor drunk, foggy, and slurring their words during the event, typically are not considered ideal.  I think most would agree that this is a less than ideal witness.  

43 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Fringes run both parties. Corporations and large private donors run both fringes....

Sorry, but the right lost the "both sides" argument when they nominated, elected, and continue to stand by the dotard and everything he stands for taking over the party.  There's plenty of shit on the left, but nothing even remotely compares to what the right is currently doing to our country.  The hypocrisy is so transparent there's not even plausible deniability (for example, deficits matters when it's the democrats but don't matter now because tax cuts!!).  Just stop with "both sides."  The right loves its demagogue and its unlike anything we've ever seen.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Aphelion said:

I already read it.  Here are two points I think a cross examiner might focus on:

"She was at first hesitant to speak publicly, partly because her memories contained gaps because she had been drinking at the time of the alleged incident. In her initial conversations with The New Yorker, she was reluctant to characterize Kavanaugh’s role in the alleged incident with certainty. After six days of carefully assessing her memories and consulting with her attorney, Ramirez said that she felt confident enough of her recollections"

"Ramirez was chosen repeatedly, she said, and quickly became inebriated. At one point, she said, a male student pointed a gag plastic penis in her direction. Later, she said, she was on the floor, foggy and slurring her words."

Witnesses that have expressed uncertainty about 35 year old events and only remember more clearly after coaching, who have told others that they are not sure about their accusations, and who by their own admission were lying on the floor drunk, foggy, and slurring their words during the event, typically are not considered ideal.  I think most would agree that this is a less than ideal witness.  

You lied about there not being corroboration.  The New Yorker authors had corroboration from witnesses who were told about the event at the time.  Which you completely discount. 

And now you're victim blaming.  And apparently Kavanaugh, who by all accounts was also drunk, gets every benefit of your doubt, while you heap doubt on the alleged victim.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Sorry, but the right lost the "both sides" argument when they nominated, elected, and continue to stand by the dotard and everything he stands for taking over the party.  There's plenty of shit on the left, but nothing even remotely compares to what the right is currently doing to our country.  The hypocrisy is so transparent there's not even plausible deniability (for example, deficits matters when it's the democrats but don't matter now because tax cuts!!).  Just stop with "both sides."  The right loves its demagogue and its unlike anything we've ever seen.

Hillary fucking Clinton, now piss off.

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

You lied about there not being corroboration.  The New Yorker authors had corroboration from witnesses who were told about the event at the time.  Which you completely discount. 

And now you're victim blaming.  And apparently Kavanaugh, who by all accounts was also drunk, gets every benefit of your doubt, while you heap doubt on the alleged victim.

I didn't lie.  I said there were no direct eyewitnesses.  Here is a quote from the article you linked (since you haven't bothered to read it):

"The New Yorker has not confirmed with other eyewitnesses that Kavanaugh was present at the party. The magazine contacted several dozen classmates of Ramirez and Kavanaugh regarding the incident. Many did not respond to interview requests; others declined to comment, or said they did not attend or remember the party.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hillary fucking Clinton, now piss off.

You should probably stop to consider the fact that right now it is starting to look like Hillary Clinton might ultimately destroy the Republican Party as we knew it. Not directly, of course, but the illogical and all-consuming hate for her that hurried the GOP down the path to Donald Trump will have been the party's undoing. All that hate, all that anger, and she still wins. Good work.

• Like 4

Just now, Aphelion said:

I didn't lie.  I said there were no direct eyewitnesses.  Here is a quote from the article you linked (since you haven't bothered to read it):

"The New Yorker has not confirmed with other eyewitnesses that Kavanaugh was present at the party. The magazine contacted several dozen classmates of Ramirez and Kavanaugh regarding the incident. Many did not respond to interview requests; others declined to comment, or said they did not attend or remember the party.

Your position is that everyone accused of participating in a sexual assault is denying it. Do you find that interesting?

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

You should probably stop to consider the fact that right now it is starting to look like Hillary Clinton might ultimately destroy the Republican Party as we knew it. Not directly, of course, but the illogical and all-consuming hate for her that hurried the GOP down the path to Donald Trump will have been the party's undoing. All that hate, all that anger, and she still wins. Good work.

“Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.”

- Richard Nixon 1974 White House Farewell Address 

4 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

You said they were looking for corroboration.  Apparently they didn't take iphone video of the sexual assault in the 1980s.  So I guess we should just completely discount what the alleged victim said and the people who were told about the assault in 1980whatever obviously anticipating that 40 years later Kavanuagh would be a Supreme Court nominee.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is the truly ironic part.... They're going to let Donald Trump destroy their party for a decade or more because they nominated an ego maniac child as President..... however, they'll have "but Hillary" to keep them warm as they're wandering the desert starting in 2020.  The rationale to win at any cost as a response to Obama is also part of the creation of their problems.  

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Was Mitch the one who wanted the voters to decide on Merrick Garland?

McConnell's comments came after a pledge he made last month that the Senate would take no action on the nomination, setting the stage for a political fight. McConnell said Wednesday that the "the decision the Senate made weeks ago remains about a principle, not a person."

"It seems clear President Obama made this nomination not, not with the intent of seeing the nominee confirmed, but in order to politicize it for purposes of the election," McConnell said.

"I believe the overwhelming view of the Republican Conference in the Senate is that this nomination should not be filled, this vacancy should not be filled by this lame duck president," McConnell said.

"The American people are perfectly capable of having their say on this issue, so let's give them a voice. Let's let the American people decide. The Senate will appropriately revisit the matter when it considers the qualifications of the nominee the next president nominates, whoever that might be," McConnell said.

https://www.npr.org/2016/03/16/470664561/mcconnell-blocking-supreme-court-nomination-about-a-principle-not-a-person

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Your position is that everyone accused of participating in a sexual assault is denying it. Do you find that interesting?

I don't find much interest in a really crappy mischaracterization of my position.  But at least you don't immediately accuse one of lying as a primitive defense mechanism.  In fact I don't ever recall you doing so.  

25 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Avenatti telling Politico his client will go public with an on-camera interview and more details of accusations against Kavanaugh in the next 48 hours

I need him to wait until tomorrow. I have a business evening ubering my kids to cheer practice and a den meeting. Tomorrow works much better for me.

9 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I don't find much interest in a really crappy mischaracterization of my position.  But at least you don't immediately accuse one of lying as a primitive defense mechanism.  In fact I don't ever recall you doing so.  

I didn't mischaracterize your position. You have now made multiple posts focusing on the fact that the only alleged direct eyewitnesses who responded state that it didn't happen. That is completely uninformative given that they are accused of participating in a sexual assault. My question to you is why you seem to be hung up on that fact to the point of believing it calls into question the credibility of the allegation. A denial calls into question the credibility of an accusation exactly as much as the allegation calls into question the credibility of the denial. So I ask again, do you find a denial of a sexual assault claim interesting?

• Like 1

Republicans are going all in on this nomination. Either Kavanaugh will be confirmed no matter what facts come out or a vote is forced to penalize swing state R and Ds for not supporting. 

This seems to be a terrible strategy but forces party loyalty in that it shows that R leadership is ready to light the house on fire if need be.

Edited by happyfunball

LMAO

"It seems clear President Obama made this nomination not, not with the intent of seeing the nominee confirmed, but in order to politicize it for purposes of the election," McConnell said.

Right. He just should have done nothing after Scalia died.

He also picked the most milquetoast moderate candidate who could be confirmed. He would have barely to the left of Kennedy and to the right of Breyer.  Its not like he tried to nominate Kagan 2.0.

• Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I didn't mischaracterize your position. You have now made multiple posts focusing on the fact that the only alleged direct eyewitnesses who responded state that it didn't happen. That is completely uninformative given that they are accused of participating in a sexual assault. My question to you is why you seem to be hung up on that fact to the point of believing it calls into question the credibility of the allegation. A denial calls into question the credibility of an accusation exactly as much as the allegation calls into question the credibility of the denial. So I ask again, do you find a denial of a sexual assault claim interesting?

PJ as well as the female that Ford named were witnesses that could place Kavanaugh at the party with Ford. They are not accused of participating in sexual assault, and they all say that the party didn't happen. 

4 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

vote is forced to penalize swing state R and Ds for not supporting. 

This is not a good idea for Republicans.

I’m not sure Ted Cruz wants to make sure he gets it on the record he voted for or against Kavanaugh in a meaningless vote. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

PJ as well as the female that Ford named were witnesses that could place Kavanaugh at the party with Ford. They are not accused of participating in sexual assault, and they all say that the party didn't happen. 

I think (or thought) we were talking about the Deborah Ramírez accusation. If that's the case, then the only people who could be direct eyewitnesses would have been in the room during the sexual assault and are therefore probably, at a minimum, accomplices.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I think (or thought) we were talking about the Deborah Ramírez accusation.

I may have fucked that up. Multitasking conference call and shit. Can someone clarify which of the sexual assault allegations we are talking about. [/yesthatiswhereweareat]

Edited by Anastasis

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

They say the party didn't happen or they don't recall a party? Big difference. I don't doubt that they wouldn't remember a party one summer if nothing remarkable happened to them.