Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You were a lot better in the old days when you’d give minutes from board meetings discussing education priorities while we were paging Saban at the airport.

be better.

You were better when you could just laugh off this Urban shit with a good "Airplane!" reference.  I never got involved in the Saban thing because it was a race to the bottom of one stupid rumor after another.  

But since you asked, here are my UT priorities:

1.  Education of Students.

2.  Getting rid of the financial sham that is Tom Herman.  Nice guy, solid coach.  But, a financial tragedy that will be studied for decades.  

3.  I guess, Covid protection or something like that.  Maybe the future or learning spaces in the wake of Covid-19.  Inclusiveness also.  Definitely baseball as well. 

You were better when you could just laugh off this Urban shit with a good "Airplane!" reference.  I never got involved in the Saban thing because it was a race to the bottom of one stupid rumor after another.  

But since you asked, here are my UT priorities:
1.  Education of Students.
2.  Getting rid of the financial sham that is Tom Herman.  Nice guy, solid coach.  But, a financial tragedy that will be studied for decades.  
3.  I guess, Covid protection or something like that.  Maybe the future or learning spaces in the wake of Covid-19.  Inclusiveness also.  Definitely baseball as well. 

Herman isn’t a nice guy or anything close. He comes off as a classless piece of shit asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I know...I'm just trying to preface things during Covid-19 with some fake piece of niceness before I get into the grime.

2020 is the year Grifters get their just desserts.  Tom Herman will among those who receive their due.  This has been a remarkably horrible year in so many respects but the good news is people are finally waking up to the bullshit cloak that's been pulled over our eyes in so many walks of life.  It's not enough to replace a guy like Herman.  2020 has taught us to remove people like this and then haunt them for years afterwards to make sure they don't screw anybody else over either.  Unless of course, Herman wants to go lead one of our enemies.  In which case, let's all pitch in for the plane ticket.

Breaks for family reasons or broadcast opportunities, let's think about the next head coaching jobs by Texas HC's...Purdue, Arizona, North Carolina, and South Florida.  We're a stepping stone, from high paid mediocrity to average paid mediocrity.  Our Athletic Department is quickly positioning itself to the be, "Yeah, but you don't know what he's like when we're alone...he's amazing!" battered wife.  We settle for one con-man after the other.

Edited by Lobo

Absolutely.  If there's a $7mm prom-night handjob/Big XII title/CFP berth in here somewhere...I'll buy the wine coolers.  

It's been 10+ years of burnt orange balls for $6mm/year and it's getting fucking tiresome.  The really insulting part is that we keep celebrating how far we've come and close we are to our goals.  When it couldn't be further from the truth.  

14 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Urban would by far and away be the shadiest hire in the history of the ath. Dept. of Texas

We also had a basketball coach who was stealing meal money from players. He claimed he was keeping it in a coffee can in the freezer so he could give it back to them come tournament time so they’d have extra spending money. 

If Urban Meyer is going to con Texas the way he conned UF and OSU with conference championships and national title well sign me the fuck up for it. That like telling me that the prom queen doesn't really like me she just wants to fuck me to get back at her boyfriend, doesn't matter got laid. 
Not only that, this is an example where after the prom queen "uses" you, your standing is elevated to where a bunch of prom queen like girls who wouldn't have been interested before suddenly are.

Even if you were being used, you're left in an objectively better situation afterwards. There's really no argument against this.

6 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I’m going to halfway disagree with this. While Herman is a douche on the football side of things and other things related to that, he’s done good in other spots. He had a homeless dad that died in a homeless shelter, so it was important for him to help those in need by donating a good chunk of money to the Central food bank of Texas and other orgs like it. It wasn’t just money, he actually physically helped out and made it a point that players do as well. Chris Bennett, a huge longhorn fan on social media, had a family member pass away. Tom went out of his way to help this fans family. And agree or disagree, he stood up for his players durning the BLM movement. 

Tom is a bad football coach. He’s bad dealing with BMD’s. Overall not right for a big time football program and should be shown the door. But to say he comes off as a classless piece of shit is just wrong, imo. Charlie was a nice guy that couldn’t get it done. Tom has a narcissistic personality that is his downfall as a head coach but he’s still a good guy all around. 

Neat

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nice guy? I don’t give a shit. Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close!

Agree with this 100. But I also kind of think that if he were truly a narcissistasshole then he would be a better football coach. I think he has a massive insecurity complex but I wouldn't even care to mention it if he didn't suck so bad at his current job.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Jamie Ciampaglia, an assistant for a year or two during the BMW era

Ciampaglio. Many thought he was the brains behind Tom Penders' successes on the court. IDK. I can't remember what bullshit he was telling the kids to get their meal money. Anyone?

Edited by wood

46 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Absolutely.  If there's a $7mm prom-night handjob/Big XII title/CFP berth in here somewhere...I'll buy the wine coolers.  

It's been 10+ years of burnt orange balls for $6mm/year and it's getting fucking tiresome.  The really insulting part is that we keep celebrating how far we've come and close we are to our goals.  When it couldn't be further from the truth.  

Nobody is celebrating shit.  People may try to look at things optimistically at times, but there isn't anybody celebrating where we are.

I dunno, I drove around the new SEZ perimeter after class last week...kinda looks like somebody, somewhere is doing some celebrating.  Because that thing is really taking shape/form and it does not exactly scream, "Austerity"...to me it screams, "Look Ma!  We're the kings of the football world!"  

52 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I’m going to halfway disagree with this. While Herman is a douche on the football side of things and other things related to that, he’s done good in other spots. He had a homeless dad that died in a homeless shelter, so it was important for him to help those in need by donating a good chunk of money to the Central food bank of Texas and other orgs like it. It wasn’t just money, he actually physically helped out and made it a point that players do as well. Chris Bennett, a huge longhorn fan on social media, had a family member pass away. Tom went out of his way to help this fans family. And agree or disagree, he stood up for his players durning the BLM movement. 

Tom is a bad football coach. He’s bad dealing with BMD’s. Overall not right for a big time football program and should be shown the door. But to say he comes off as a classless piece of shit is just wrong, imo. Charlie was a nice guy that couldn’t get it done. Tom has a narcissistic personality that is his downfall as a head coach but he’s still a good guy all around. 

Cool story, Michelle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

That’s true enough, but go back to that pic from yesterday, that’s a catered event.  

Tbh it would be easy for BMD’s do have an event like that with a tent set up in their back yard or at a restaurant. I’d imagine the former due to how much more private and easier to hide. I couldn’t see Urban Meyer being in a public place in Texas and someone not recognize him. 

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nice guy? I don’t give a shit. Good father? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here - close!

I don’t give a crap either and I’m in favor of hiring Urban as well. But I’m also not going to sit here and say Tom comes off as classless when we’ve see what he’s done off the field. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

To be fair Meyer will get 8-10 million a year 

58 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

We also had a basketball coach who was stealing meal money from players. He claimed he was keeping it in a coffee can in the freezer so he could give it back to them come tournament time so they’d have extra spending money. 

Don’t forget the tennis coach that recently went to jail

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t give a crap either and I’m in favor of hiring Urban as well. But I’m also not going to sit here and say Tom comes off as classless when we’ve see what he’s done off the field. 

He has exhibited classless behavior more than once right in front of our faces. He helped pay for a media member’s father’s funeral. Both are true.

“Classless” and “heartless” are two different things.

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He has exhibited classless behavior more than once right in front of our faces. He helped pay for a media member’s father’s funeral. Both are true.

They’re also 2 things you only care to distinguish when you’re losing.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Some of sports biggest clowns are charitable.   For example Barry bonds

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I hope CDC is ready to go a lot higher than 7 a year if that's what it's gonna take. What's another 3-5 mil when he would bring in 10x that in additional revenue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

If Urban Meyer is going to con Texas the way he conned UF and OSU with conference championships and national titles, well sign me the fuck up for it. That's like telling me that the prom queen doesn't really like me she just wants to fuck me to get back at her boyfriend, doesn't matter got laid. 

We’re Texas bro.    Some of our own fan base and alums insist we can’t have nice things.  High road and the promises of gold, rainbows, and unicorns will come they say.  How has that worked out?   We laugh at aggy for some of the stupid decisions they’ve made in Collie Station  in regards to coaching hires all while some of our own deny or just are not aware our own crap stinks.  

17 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That’s a good point. Tom is many things but to me ignorance is his main character flaw. I guess I just see that more than I do classlessness. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I dunno, I drove around the new SEZ perimeter after class last week...kinda looks like somebody, somewhere is doing some celebrating.  Because that thing is really taking shape/form and it does not exactly scream, "Austerity"...to me it screams, "Look Ma!  We're the kings of the football world!"  

What a complete non sequitur. 

It's a message board about football and pandemics, populated by degenerates and drunks.  Non sequiturs are gonna happen.  The cohesive narrative of lucid unity message board is down the hall.  

I was attempting a connection between how our facilities spending, in some tacit way, reflects our arrogance over where we are as a program and how our cash inflows will continue in perpetuity---no matter the on-field/on-court results.  It's not my best work, but I feel like there's at least an ostensible connection.  We are mediocre as an overall program and spending on salaries and venues like we're Clemson and money and pussy gonna rain forever.  That ain't the case.  

Edited by Lobo

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas