Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Sam was likely out there by himself due to a postgame on-field interview (or some i tjwe obligation) when The Eyes started playing. I seriously doubt that the entire team and coaching staff all went into the locker room after the game while Sam just stood out there by himself waiting for The Eyes because he's just such a perfect guy who loves the University so much. 
Taquon Graham came back out to be with Sam. Just saying he did come back out.

14 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:
6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:
Sam was likely out there by himself due to a postgame on-field interview (or some i tjwe obligation) when The Eyes started playing. I seriously doubt that the entire team and coaching staff all went into the locker room after the game while Sam just stood out there by himself waiting for The Eyes because he's just such a perfect guy who loves the University so much. 

Read more  

Taquon Graham came back out to be with Sam. Just saying he did come back out.

Says a lot about Taquon Graham! Good on him

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, let me educate you.

Nobody is going to follow Capt White Privilege. Especially if he comes in thinking that he gets to be a leader just by virtue of being a rich white kid who is the QB.

You have to earn a leadership role. And some of us have the skins in the wall and have earned that leadership position. But it has to be earned. And Sam hasn’t earned it.

We are not deaf. We all hear the stories that the team hates him. And does any of that sound false? Does the play of the field belie that?

The evidence available is that Sam has failed as a leader.

And let’s contrast that with another Westlake guy. Brees said something horribly insensitive. But he was called on it and quickly walked it back. He’s a leader.

Sam puts himself on the opposite side of his teammates. That’s a Capt. Sobel move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re such an insufferable prick.  

If his teammates (and you) are judging him by the color of his skin or where he comes from rather than the content of his character then they’re the problem (and you), not Sam. If you don’t think Sam is the only one on this team who’s shown any heart whatsoever during this shitshow of a season then you’re obviously watching a different game than the rest of us (or seeing only what you want to see). Sterns and Eagles may be leaders on social justice issues but they are far from leaders on the football field.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, let me educate you.

Nobody is going to follow Capt White Privilege. Especially if he comes in thinking that he gets to be a leader just by virtue of being a rich white kid who is the QB.

You have to earn a leadership role. And some of us have the skins in the wall and have earned that leadership position. But it has to be earned. And Sam hasn’t earned it.

We are not deaf. We all hear the stories that the team hates him. And does any of that sound false? Does the play of the field belie that?

The evidence available is that Sam has failed as a leader.

And let’s contrast that with another Westlake guy. Brees said something horribly insensitive. But he was called on it and quickly walked it back. He’s a leader.

Sam puts himself on the opposite side of his teammates. That’s a Capt. Sobel move.

Really stupid opinion by you.   Chris Simms came from a comfortable background and was embraced by his teammates.   Colt McCoy is small town Texas boy.  

Sam has proven all he needs to on the field to have earned the role.   If his teammates are being bitches because they don't necessarily like him then fuck them.  He is the QB.  They don't get a say in it.  Their fucking job is to produce.   I doubt you get to whine and throw a tantrum because you don't like the judge, client, or opposing counsel, or do you submarine your own client because you like the opposition's client better?   Maybe this is a reflection of how you and the team operates and maybe why they suck shit through a straw even with one of the statistically best QBs out there.  

Even the announcers were clowning our shitty WRs whom were standing around cuddling with OUs DBs while Sam was running.   Let me guess as to why we keep seeing different WRs out there, because they are all fucking mediocre, lazy, and the WR coach blows.   How many times have we seen them run the wrong fucking route this season?  How many times have we seen them stand around or get beat when they have a numbers advantage.   RBs are good, even Keaontay, who almost never fumbles, but tried too hard and fucked up.   How many times will we see a QB sack on a 3 man rush?   How many yards has the DBs given up?   How many times did our d-line let a 4th string RB shoot past them?  How many times will we see our ST lines allow the kick to get blocked because they didn't engage their fucking man?    Yeah, there is a leadership issue alright but you are fucking absolutely wrong about were it is.  

• Hook 'Em 6

You’re such an insufferable prick.  

If his teammates (and you) are judging him by the color of his skin or where he comes from rather than the content of his character then they’re the problem (and you), not Sam. If you don’t think Sam is the only one on this team who’s shown any heart whatsoever during this shitshow of a season then you’re obviously watching a different game than the rest of us (or seeing only what you want to see). Sterns and Eagles may be leaders on social justice issues but they are far from leaders on the football field.

I may be an insufferable prick, but that’s not particularly relevant to whether Sam is an effective leader.

The evidence is that he is not.

We are all a product of our environment. And Sam’s upbringing probably makes it harder for him to lead than it was for Vince. But at the same time, Sam hasn’t overcome that difficulty.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

I may be an insufferable prick, but that’s not particularly relevant to whether Sam is an effective leader.

We are all a product of our environment. And Sam’s upbringing probably makes it harder for him to lead than it was for Vince. But at the same time, Sam hasn’t overcome that difficulty.

Hate to break it to you but the next hot thing that we have coming at QB that supposed to save our program from utter mediocrity is from Southlake. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The kids background determines whether or not he is an effective leader? I guess that’s why so many Great War generals have come from the streets. 

I agree it is perfectly reasonable to question his leadership, but your reasoning is way off.

The kids background determines whether or not he is an effective leader? I guess that’s why so many Great War generals have come from the streets. 

I agree it is perfectly reasonable to question his leadership, but your reasoning is way off.

It doesn’t determine. But it is a significant factor.

I don’t think that’s particularly controversial.

57 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So the dude’s dad dying when he was young making him the de facto man of the house and helping to take care of his brother and sister isn’t enough hardship for you? Drew Brees and Nick Foles have done a fine job of being leaders despite the limitation of growing up comfortably. I think the fact that your an HP SJW has completely skewed your impartiality on this situation.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

It doesn’t determine. But it is a significant factor.

I don’t think that’s particularly controversial.

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, Johnny Manziel, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield...

Yes, it’s controversial.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Really stupid opinion by you.   Chris Simms came from a comfortable background and was embraced by his teammates.   Colt McCoy is small town Texas boy.  

Sam has proven all he needs to on the field to have earned the role.   If his teammates are being bitches because they don't necessarily like him then fuck them.  He is the QB.  They don't get a say in it.  Their fucking job is to produce.   I doubt you get to whine and throw a tantrum because you don't like the judge, client, or opposing counsel, or do you submarine your own client because you like the opposition's client better?   Maybe this is a reflection of how you and the team operates and maybe why they suck shit through a straw even with one of the statistically best QBs out there.  

Even the announcers were clowning our shitty WRs whom were standing around cuddling with OUs DBs while Sam was running.   Let me guess as to why we keep seeing different WRs out there, because they are all fucking mediocre, lazy, and the WR coach blows.   How many times have we seen them run the wrong fucking route this season?  How many times have we seen them stand around or get beat when they have a numbers advantage.   RBs are good, even Keaontay, who almost never fumbles, but tried too hard and fucked up.   How many times will we see a QB sack on a 3 man rush?   How many yards has the DBs given up?   How many times did our d-line let a 4th string RB shoot past them?  How many times will we see our ST lines allow the kick to get blocked because they didn't engage their fucking man?    Yeah, there is a leadership issue alright but you are fucking absolutely wrong about were it is.  

This attitude, liking Sam for his story as opposed to what he does is the problem. Same problem Herm has, loving the story and the dude as opposed to the results. The guy is expected to do too much. He hasn’t been trained to do the things he should do to make this team successful. Honestly, I don’t understand the cult around this guy but cults are apparently a thing in this country now.

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

you guys are fucking high - stop blaming Sam for anything wrong with this program. The defense was non-existent and there were so many mistakes it was unreal. 

just actually shut the fuck up. Sam scored 6TD's and threw for 399 yesterday. I get it, he didn't do that before the longhorns were down 14 with 6 minutes or whatever to go. The fact is, he fucking DID it. Stop trying to use backwards fucking logic to say that it doesn't count because of when it happened. The fucking game is 60 minutes long. His stats reflect 60 minutes of football. Holy absolute fuck, you guys are driving me fucking insane with your bogus takes and even more insane logic to try and dumpster on a guy who has done nothing but his best (no one is saying he's VY). I hope to God Texas is lucky enough to have another QB like Sam in the next 10 years, meanwhile apparently it's a foregone conclusion to some of you mouth breathing fucks anyone with a pulse can apparently outplay Sam fucking Ehlinger.

You hope to have another quarterback at Texas that ends their career with 20 losses as a starter? He’s not a winner 

• Fuck You 4

Just now, UhhhIdk said:

You hope to have another quarterback at Texas that ends their career with 20 losses as a starter? He’s not a winner 

Yeah Sam sucks super bad. Can we move on? Worst QB ever, wish we never had him he is definitely the reason Texas sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

you guys are fucking high - stop blaming Sam for anything wrong with this program. The defense was non-existent and there were so many mistakes it was unreal. 

just actually shut the fuck up. Sam scored 6TD's and threw for 399 yesterday. I get it, he didn't do that before the longhorns were down 14 with 6 minutes or whatever to go. The fact is, he fucking DID it. Stop trying to use backwards fucking logic to say that it doesn't count because of when it happened. The fucking game is 60 minutes long. His stats reflect 60 minutes of football. Holy absolute fuck, you guys are driving me fucking insane with your bogus takes and even more insane logic to try and dumpster on a guy who has done nothing but his best (no one is saying he's VY). I hope to God Texas is lucky enough to have another QB like Sam in the next 10 years, meanwhile apparently it's a foregone conclusion to some of you mouth breathing fucks anyone with a pulse can apparently outplay Sam fucking Ehlinger.

Yes, we get all of that, it’s a reflection on Herm and you guys. You’re blinded by his deficiencies. 

10 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Yes, we get all of that, it’s a reflection on Herm and you guys. You’re blinded by his deficiencies. 

Sam doesn't suck. You can't actually believe that with real quarterbacks since Colt who have sucked. Is he GOAT or top 3 talk worthy, I mean put away the anointing oil. He does not suck though. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Sam doesn't suck. You can't actually believe that with real quarterbacks since Colt who have sucked. Is he GOAT or top 3 talk worthy, I mean put away the anointing oil. He does not suck though. 

My God you people are dense, no one says he sucks. He’s just not capable of what he’s being asked to do. His run reads are horrendous. His accuracy is terrible past 10 yards. Great guy when we throw the playbook out the window, great.

Our point is, he’s being misused and he ducks at what he’s being asked to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texaspython said:

My God you people are dense, no one says he sucks. He’s just not capable of what he’s being asked to do. His run reads are horrendous. His accuracy is terrible past 10 yards. Great guy when we throw the playbook out the window, great.

Our point is, he’s being misused and he ducks at what he’s being asked to do.

No one is arguing that are they? There's straight up hard evidence of it being true. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

No one is arguing that are they? There's straight up hard evidence of it being true. 

14 points against that defense and a flaccid offense in OT is ok? I’m not saying, was it good, I’m just saying, was it ok? I remember a horrible int on the final play of the game that should have never happened.

Again, decent QB, good dude, we ask him to do too much and it shows in wins and losses. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Here is a factual recap of the last three games and the ensuing surly reactions:

Sam plays poorly/erratically for 55-57 minutes, often missing wide open receivers by a country mile, holding onto the ball WAY too long while his O line regularly gives him 7 seconds to throw, failing you utilize check downs that could easily help move the chains, and then missing obvious reads on read plays, leading to no gain/loss of yards on what could have been a good play. 

then in the final couple minutes + OT he goes off, padding his stats and his TD totals on the way to a fairly impressive looking box score.

then, despite the fact that your eyeballs just told you that he was not very good for 98% of regulation, with a stat line along the lines of 12-27 for 200 yards through 55 minutes, the same group of Sam Ehlinger zealots angrily storm the thread, posting his box score totals and going full jihad on anyone who says that Sam Ehlinger is anything less than a demigod who is being sabotaged by everyone around him. Complete refusal to engage in any sort of adult discussion, opting instead for blind, fanatical, and frankly combative love and support for the guy. (gee, feels like i've seen that somewhere else lately)

That shit ^*^ is fucking pathetic and embarrassing. You know what my least favorite thing about Sam Ehlinger is? His cultists. Sam has often been compared to Tim Tebow, and much like Tebow, it's the completely unnecessary and baseless slurping/worshipping of this guy that starts making me dislike him. It's not anything that he himself does- he busts his ass and he tries his best, obvious imperfections and all. I got love for the guy because of that. It's these people who aggressively Stan him so hard that grind my gears, much more than anything that Sam himself does. You Sam Stans are honestly fucking bat shit crazy lunatics who need Sam to move on from this program for your own mental health, and i say that with 100% sincerity. Christ this cult like following he has is disturbing, and i've honestly  seen anything like it before at Texas. 

This recaps his play this year almost perfectly. Except you left out him throwing it into receivers feet and behind the receiver so it’s not in stride even when they do catch it.

This attitude, liking Sam for his story as opposed to what he does is the problem. Same problem Herm has, loving the story and the dude as opposed to the results. The guy is expected to do too much. He hasn’t been trained to do the things he should do to make this team successful. Honestly, I don’t understand the cult around this guy but cults are apparently a thing in this country now.

Sam is one of our best QBs ever and did so with multiple OCs, and shit production for WR/TE/RBs during his career. Our best WR over the past few years is 3rd string in the NFL. One fucking guy is 90% of the offense and you think he is the problem? GTFO with your stupid take. A cult is right, a cult of idiots and we just met the recruiter.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Sam is one of our best QBs ever and did so with multiple OCs, and shit production for WR/TE/RBs during his career. Our best WR over the past few years is 3rd string in the NFL. One fucking guy is 90% of the offense and you think he is the problem? GTFO with your stupid take. A cult is right, a cult of idiots and we just met the recruiter.

Incredible, we’ve had some GREAT qbs. They elevated the whole team. Not this guy. In fact, his run reads are so bad, I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire rb room hates him.

He’s ok, decent, with a good coach he’d lead us to a conference champ, but whatever.

Edited by Texaspython

You should have stopped typing after “prick”

You are pretty fucking amazing though. Who else can redefine “stupid” by simply tapping out words on a keyboard?

We could not move the ball all game. I have no idea why these guys are defending him. It makes literally no sense.

So the fact that the RBs couldnt run, and the wrs cant block and the dbs cant cover and the o-line is shit mixed with stupid, you want Sam to do less because he was pushing it and taking risks and was singlehandedly keeping Texas in the game on the offense by doing exactly that. That one run where he shook off tackles behind the LOS and somehow ran for a TD was awful since he did too much.

There is someone dense here alright.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So the fact that the RBs couldnt run, and the wrs cant block and the dbs cant cover and the o-line is shit mixed with stupid, you want Sam to do less because he was pushing it and taking risks and was singlehandedly keeping Texas in the game on the offense by doing exactly that. That one run where he shook off tackles behind the LOS and somehow ran for a TD was awful since he did too much.

Again, you don’t understand how our offense works. Half the time our rbs were confused why they got the ball. I’ll tell you why, it didn’t make any sense.

He doesn’t have the team, he has the coaches and a significant portion of the fan base on story alone, but he’s an ok qb.

• Fuck You 2

So...it's a given that certain people from certain places have certain shortcomings and are inherently inferior at doing certain things...is that what I am hearing here?

Incredible, we’ve had some GREAT qbs. They elevated the whole team. Not this guy. In fact, his run reads are so bad, I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire rb room hates him.
He’s ok, decent, with a good coach he’d lead us to a conference champ, but whatever.

The RB room? Other than banged up RoJo, who the fuck gives two shits about what our RB room thinks? Worst collection of RB’s we’ve had in 20+ years
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Jerrod Heard beat ou under Charlie Strong. ou ended up in the CFP. He beat Notre Dame too. He didn’t have a picture of throwing Horns up when he was 4, though.

Sam has regressed. Someone told him to stop running and he takes 8 seconds in the pocket now. He is a wildly inaccurate passer that throws at our WRs feet or completely over throws them. His best play is a sideways screen pass for a loss. I don’t doubt his desire, but he is the tallest midget of the last 10 years.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, MirrOlure said:

The RB room? Other than banged up RoJo, who the fuck gives two shits about what our RB room thinks? Worst collection of RB’s we’ve had in 20+ years

When you get the rock shoved in your stomach with a tackle right in your face, you begin to wonder about your qb.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Touché....but the fact that there are multiple defenders in our backfield a nanosecond after “hike” is a discussion for another thread

I agree, but that’s what’s supposed to be the great thing about our offense, he should have a lane to run or there’s someone open over tye middle. His reads, other than scramble time, are horrendous. It’s why we can’t move the ball.

34 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Sam is statistically one of our best QBs ever due to the era that he plays in. Realistically/practically he's not much different from James Brown or Major Applewhite. 

14 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Jerrod Heard beat ou under Charlie Strong. ou ended up in the CFP. He beat Notre Dame too. He didn’t have a picture of throwing Horns up when he was 4, though.

Sam has regressed. Someone told him to stop running and he takes 8 seconds in the pocket now. He is a wildly inaccurate passer that throws at our WRs feet or completely over throws them. His best play is a sideways screen pass for a loss. I don’t doubt his desire, but he is the tallest midget of the last 10 years.

Bolded is 100% true. We started moving the ball yesterday because he finally used his legs. We also had two drives end in the red zone because of awful interceptions. All of that can be true and he can still be our best QB since Colt. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

No

Then why did the origingal poster say that Sam is a product of his environment and it makes it harder for him to lead?  It sure sounds like , "He is, you know, one of THOSE people from THAT place, and you KNOW how they can be." 

The effort Ehlinger put into that ballgame was 109%, even if he didn't play a 100% perfect game.  If other players can't get behind that, then that's on them, not Sam.  I am not a Texas fan, but I am a fan of character.  Ehlinger has it, even if he isn't surrounded by it.

Edited by Cornfusion
added last part.

18 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

how would we even know that? we don't even have a coherent/committed running game. I'm willing to bet that any one of them (particularly Bijan) would do just fine if given regular carries/any opportunity to get into a rhythm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Are you using a win against a 4-8 Notre Dame team like that was an accomplishment?  LOL.  That was an accomplishment until about week 4 when it became apparent who Notre Dame was.

Sam has beaten OU too and has never lost a bowl game.  He definitely hasn't had the best two weeks, but he's gotten no help.  Two and a half weeks ago he was being talked about as a Heisman finalist and was a hero after Tech.  Now he's lost the team and can't play? 

Edited by Tom