Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Tougher and grittier?  Look at the descriptors. No problem with his tweet. 

yes, each of them has a claim to being as tough and gritty as Sam Ehlinger, particularly Bobby Layne, who is in fact the toughest and grittiest QB in Texas history. 

Edited by shadow_operative

also, VY was pretty fucking tough and gritty, we just don't think of him that way because he was also a 6'5", 230 lb gazelle who led the nation in passing efficiency. 

99% of Texas fans fall into two camps when it comes to Sam Ehlinger:

Camp 1: Hes really good, but not great. he's inconsistent and often erratic. he overthrows a wide open WR by 7 yards one play, and then drops an NFL dime on the next play. he's also built like a brick shit house, he has heart, he has big balls, he often plays his best with his back against the wall, and he's led more than a few comeback wins. HOWEVER, he is far from perfect, and it's often largely his fault that his back is against the wall in the first place. He's the best we've had since Colt, for sure; but that doesn't make him a legend. Camp 1 believes they are being objective. 

Camp 2: SAM EHLINGER IS WESTLAKE JESUS, AND TOM HERMAN, THE ENTIRE O LINE, AND ALL OF OUR WRS ARE SLEEPER CELLS PLACED INTO OUR PROGRAM BY OU IN ORDER TO UNDERMINE SAM EHLINGER, THE MOST PERFECT, FLAWLESS, BLAMELESS, GREATEST HUMAN BEING OF ALL TIME!!!! HE WAS SINGING 'THE EYES' AT 3 YEARS OLD FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!! SAM >>>>>>> VY + Tebow x Tommie Frazier!!! Camp 2 also believe they are being objective.

I know which camp i belong to. 

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I like Sam. He loves this university like we all do and does give a shit. However, the way he's playing this year is how he always is and always will be. He is extremely streaky on drives, with them either looking incredible or wtf moments. He's not a player to win a NC or Heisman, but he's certainly a good player and the best QB we've had since Colt. 

However, this coaching staff is the one that is wasting him. A player like Sam should win at least one Big XII championship. With that fucking thief Herman, we've wasted all four opportunities for him. 

Sam Ehlinger is your Jalen Hurts if Jalen Hurts had been singing Boomer Sooner in the womb and started here for eight years.  You have to respect the leadership and toughness, but you just can't unsee the opportunities that a better passer would exploit.

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, VY was pretty fucking tough and gritty, we just don't think of him that way because he was also a 6'5", 230 lb gazelle who led the nation in passing efficiency. 

99% of people fall into two camps when it comes to Sam Ehlinger:

Camp 1: Hes good, not great; he's inconsistent and often erratic; he's also built like a brick shit house, he has heart, he has big balls, he often plays his best with his back against the wall, but he is far from perfect, and it's often largely his fault that his back is against the wall. Camp 1 believes they are being objective. 

Camp 2: SAM EHLINGER IS WESTLAKE JESUS, AND TOM HERMAN, THE ENTIRE O LINE, AND ALL OF OUR WRS ARE SLEEPER CELLS PLAVED INTO OUR PROGRAM BY OU IN ORDER TO UNDERMINE SAM EHLINGER, THE MOST PERFECT, FLAWLS, BLAMELESS, GREATEST HUMAN BEING OF ALL TIME!!!! HE WAS SINGING 'THE EYES' AT 3 FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!! Camp 2 also believe they are being objective.

I know which camp i'm a part of.

This would be more convincing if you had blamed/called out any other player on the roster in addition to Sam. But your post history shows not a peep from you about Keaontay's fumble, Angilau's constant penalties/blowing the FG protection, Bujcevski's ineptitude, or Jones' constant whiffs in pass protection. Instead your ire is focused all on Sam, the guy who scored every single one of our touchdowns and took hard hit after hard hit in a desperate attempt to carry the team to a win.

I don't even care about the Eyes' thing. I care more about how our OL constantly undermined him with penalties, poor pass protection, and a non-existent ground game. And how special teams constantly and repeatedly fucked up. Sam had to overcome all of that, in addition to Herman refusing to open up the offense and calling the same predictable playcalls out of 11/12 personnel all day, and continuing to do so even after Grinch had us figured out. And he very nearly succeeded.

Edited by satyanash

20 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Camp 1 here and I went to Westlake. Watched Texas football my whole life, am older than Simms, know Gardere, and am sure Simms has no idea how tough and gritty Layne was. 

No problem with, and I personally agree with, the tweet. 

and that's fair enough. there is certainly a range of "objective" takes on Sam Ehlinger. The guy is enigmatic for sure, but you can't really be enigmatic if you aren't really really good at something, can you? it's the people who want to pretend that he does no wrong who bother me. Sam is nowhere near the top of the list of problems with this team. Without him this year would be bleak. I struggle to understand why someone can't admit that he's flawed, considering how obviously important he is to our success. 

15 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

This shit was happening all game. Sam locks on to one receiver every play. I tried to tell people in the game thread Sam wa a missing open receivers all day and they didn’t believe it because they ball watch. 

I love Sam and he’s done a ton for this program, but his lack of accuracy, poor pocket presence, and lack of vision absolutely hurt us on a regular basis.

Not saying the losses are all his fault by any means, but people who think it’s all on the play calling or that our WRs never get open don’t know what they’re talking about. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, ChemicalHorn said:

He’s ass, my dudes. I hope the rumors of “he hates Herman and won’t come back” are true.

And all the numbnuts who continue to defend him - You’re part of the problem. Demand more for our school. Riley fucking benched a dude who outplayed him.

he's not coming back.  the singing of the Eyes by himself was him saying goodbye.

• Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

he's not coming back.  the singing of the Eyes by himself was him saying goodbye.

Not to mention it would seem the team doesn’t even have respect for him. And I would almost wonder if they actually are mad that he would stay out there and sing the eyes. The irony being the team doesn’t show unity with the fans, while the team thinks Sam doesn’t show unity with them

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Not to mention it would seem the team doesn’t even have respect for him. And I would almost wonder if they actually are mad that he would stay out there and sing the eyes. The irony being the team doesn’t show unity with the fans, while the team thinks Sam doesn’t show unity with them

i'm sure they will be pissed about Sam singing the Eyes but I really don't care. The school song isn't the reason this is a team full of pussies who get buttfucked by shitty teams on the reg.

Its late era Mack Brown at best.  I can see 5-6 coming though with this bag of shit.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

i'm sure they will be pissed about Sam singing the Eyes but I really don't care. The school song isn't the reason this is a team full of pussies who get buttfucked by shitty teams on the reg.

Its late era Mack Brown at best.  I can see 5-6 coming though with this bag of shit.

Well it just makes the quote by Sam even more interesting and probably meaningless after the loss last week

I like Sam.  He’s not the best QB that ever set foot on the 40 acres, but he’s far from the worst.  He loves UT as much as we do and I hate to see his senior season not pan out the way we all hoped it would.  Fuck Herman for not having more faith in him with the game on the line.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

There are some "state" schools left on the schedule that are going to fuck our shit up.

• Like 1

I'm also looking forward to what Urban can do with Ewers, JQJ, and Hudson. 

Thank you, Sam, for getting us out of the grave Strong put us in. I wish Herman wasn't a fucktarded micropenis dipshit and could have hired better coordinators around you, but you did your best and that's all we can ask for. Good luck in your future endeavors. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

No running game, WRs who stand around and get hit in the face with the ball, and a defense that is porous to a 4th string RB and a coach that finds something that works, and abandons it and an O-line that looks like they are playing their first game ever.  

We have a defensive captain that was celebrating big OU runs.    Our defense has the mental fitness of a USC cheerleader without the tits, ass, legs or face. 

He wasn't good today.

But when you have so few rushes from your RBs and your OL is not able to pass block consistently, there is play calling to blame.

Eagles asked to come out in OT and not sure he came back. 3rd and 9 should not have Ingram and Brewer in there. Brewer was in far too many plays. Wiley had too few plays. Not many drops today except Washington's. Penalties hurt us again. Limited practice reps doesn't help. Yeah everybody has gone thru covid but we've got transfers, injuries that haven't helped.

Of all the issues we had, I'm not sure Brewers usage versus Wiley may have been the biggest screwup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If he gets a 5th round at best grade, and we hire Urban, and he can set every possible Texas record out there AND win for the first time?  I would bet he’s returning. 

love the optimism but IMO not even one of those things happens.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No clue about Meyer but Sam is getting drafted. If he doesn’t, he’s definitely coming back. But he will, because people who actually know football aren’t Texas football fans that hate their own. 

I love Sam.  guy leaves it all on the field.  he doesn't see the field well, arm is so-so, and accuracy is average.  he will be a UDFA.

Why would he come back? He has an amazing life ahead of him that isn't football, that isn't sacrificing all the time effort and literal blood every weekend in fall. What he learned here and especially today will make him a much better man. What people saw today was that Sam Ehlinger when he believes in something will break himself trying to fight for it and how fiercely loyal he is in the face of absolute embarrassment and defeat. 

You are all a bunch of grown ass men, start looking at him like one instead of just some kid who plays ball.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Arm and accuracy are bigger/better than you think. Your opinion is a popular one amongst Texas fans but I think y’all don’t remember the very real flaws of mid round draft picks. It’s not a question of if, it’s a question of when. 

Odd response. If Herman is still here I doubt he comes back. Again, if he gets a grade that isn’t high enough in his eyes and there is a different staff, why wouldn’t he come back?

we'll see.  most of those guys are 6'4 or taller with huge arms.

Arm and accuracy are bigger/better than you think. Your opinion is a popular one amongst Texas fans but I think y’all don’t remember the very real flaws of mid round draft picks. It’s not a question of if, it’s a question of when. 

I love Sam too for his grit and all but what games are you watching?  He consistently held the ball for 5 seconds today before deciding where to throw, not everyone was constantly covered every time, he could learn to lead a receiver.  He had a third and one While down and two players open for 10-15 yard gain most likely and threw one of his deep passes that are like 5% completion percentage.  He under and over throws all the time, LJH, Duv, Johnson saved him over and over again with amazing diving catches that made him look better then he was for sure.  His decision making is slow and accuracy deep is bad and mid level is just ok.   Come on man take the orange colored glasses off.  

His best RB is either a true freshman or a converted QB with 1 year of experience.

His best WR is...? Eagles is untrustworthy. A walk on and Epps are getting critical reps. None of these guys can break a WR screen for a TD.

His best LBs are walk ons.

His head coach seemingly meddles in the play calling until the game is effectively over. Then he says, "fuck it, good luck Yurcich," and the offense looks like college football. 

Sam saw this as his last OU game and stayed out for the eyes. For all we know his team had no idea he stayed out. It paints a picture that tugs at our hearts but there's no reason to read into it.

Best QB since Colt, surrounded by undisciplined or stupid play.

• Hook 'Em 6

Ehlinger accounted for 399 yards and 6 TDs.  The good guys scored 45 points.  Sam has his flaws, but to lay this loss on his feet is fucking stupid.  He is our best QB in over a decade by a wide margin, and it's a damn shame that we do not have the coaching and players surrounding him to take advantage of finally having a good QB again.

• Hook 'Em 4

Best RB is Ingram. Beat receivers are Moore/Eagles/Smith/Whittington. He has a shitload of talent around him. 

I really believed that after UTEP. Where's they go against B12 opponents? There might be a future #1 RB and future #1 WRs, but right now it looks like a bunch of incomplete players and nothing that's getting drafted in the first few rounds.

I don’t know what any of that means except that you’re a fucking idiot. 
- Westlake guy who lives in HP

Well, let me educate you.

Nobody is going to follow Capt White Privilege. Especially if he comes in thinking that he gets to be a leader just by virtue of being a rich white kid who is the QB.

You have to earn a leadership role. And some of us have the skins in the wall and have earned that leadership position. But it has to be earned. And Sam hasn’t earned it.

We are not deaf. We all hear the stories that the team hates him. And does any of that sound false? Does the play of the field belie that?

The evidence available is that Sam has failed as a leader.

And let’s contrast that with another Westlake guy. Brees said something horribly insensitive. But he was called on it and quickly walked it back. He’s a leader.

Sam puts himself on the opposite side of his teammates. That’s a Capt. Sobel move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 12

3 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Ehlinger has 684 and 10 TDs in the last two weeks.  76 points scored in two losses.  And some of y'all dipshits think the QB is the ptoblem?!?

There are a million problems right now with this team.  One of these is Sam is in fact taking forever to make a read, and often takes the low percentage throw over moving the chains.  He has been awful on the deep ball this year, the worst he's ever been, except for maybe freshman year.  A huge chunk of his yards and TDs have come in late game desperation mode.  Blame goes all around and while not the worst offender, being the QB magnifies his struggles and weaknesses

5 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Ehlinger has 684 and 10 TDs in the last two weeks.  76 points scored in two losses.  And some of y'all dipshits think the QB is the ptoblem?!?

Obviously he’s not the main problem but he has a lot of the same issues as the rest of the team. Inconsistency, huge mistakes at the worst times...I feel bad for him that he’ll own every QB record and have little to show for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, let me educate you.

Nobody is going to follow Capt White Privilege. Especially if he comes in thinking that he gets to be a leader just by virtue of being a rich white kid who is the QB.
We are not deaf. We all hear the stories that the team hates him. And does any of that sound false? Does the play of the field belie that?

The evidence available is that Sam has failed as a leader.

So paste the stories.