Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

21 hours ago, ChemicalHorn said:

~2/3 of Sams passing yards came on 3 plays, 2 of which were schemed wide open (Eagles stop and go and Ingram wheel). The other was a pretty good (12ish yard) throw to Wiley that he turned upfield for a long run. 

With that context, go look at Duggan’s stat line against Sams. Now ask yourself which team’s skill talent you’d rather have. That’s our issue. I don’t think anyone is saying Sam sucks, but this idea that he’s a heisman quality player or irreplaceable is a joke.

That's TCUs defense in a nutshell. 80% of their yards given up come on 4-6 plays a game

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Meh. It doesn’t have anything to do with coming out flat or lacking attitude. We’re just a poorly coached team, again. There’s very few players historically that can overcome that. Sam isn’t in that truly elite group, but he’s most definitely good enough to win a conference with good coaching and good players around him. He never got that in his 4 years, which really sucks.

OU had better QBs the past 3 years, which also translated into championships. This year they don't and see how they are doing. Fucking Mack Brown won a national championship because of Vince. You can't underestimate the value of great QBs who can make average to bad coached look better.

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

OU had better QBs the past 3 years, which also translated into championships. This year they don't and see how they are doing. Fucking Mack Brown won a national championship because of Vince. You can't underestimate the value of great QBs who can make average to bad coached look better.

Vince Young ain’t walking through that door. It seems like your knock on Sam is that he isn’t one of the most elite QBs in modern college football. Ok?

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

My argument is that he needed to be better than our rival's QBs, which he wasn't the past 3 years. This was his year but he failed to shine once again. So he is definitely not in the conversation of great QBs.

He has outplayed opposing QBs and lost many times because of our defense. Which other “great” UT QBs had a shitty defense?

3 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

My argument is that he needed to be better than our rival's QBs, which he wasn't the past 3 years. This was his year but he failed to shine once again. So he is definitely not in the conversation of great QBs.

He needs better coaches. He’s plenty good to win it all with better coaching.

3 minutes ago, Nope said:

He has outplayed opposing QBs and lost many times because of our defense. Which other “great” UT QBs had a shitty defense?

Other than few years under Mack Brown, Texas has had shitty defense for the better part of the decade. I never said Sam wasn't a good QB. He is. But with good QBs, you win some and lose some. With great QBs, you win most, which is what OU did despite having horrendous defenses. 

Edited by ShowMeALoss
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Other than few years under Mack Brown, Texas has had shitty defense for the better part of the decade. I never said Sam wasn't a good QB. He is. But with good QBs, you win some and lose some. With great QBs, you win most, which is what OU did despite having horrendous defenses. 

Sam would have won back-to-back Heismans playing for Riley (don’t taze me bro)

• Haha 1

Sam has a horrible deep ball, it’s his least accurate zone to throw two. 

he’s erratic on the intermediate throws but does have some pretty good throws there. 

he’s not very good at passing to the outside boundary. 

he’s a very good college quarterback that won’t translate to the nfl game imo. 

I saw a chase Daniel comparison earlier in regards to a nfl backup QB role  but that’s not a very good one. Daniel had much better arm talent and accuracy than Sam does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

VY as a junior was easily a better passer than Ehlinger is as a senior. Adam has better stats because it's a different era and a different offense, but VY was a legitimately good and reliable passer by his junior year, something Sam has yet to accomplish. VY also threw one of the beat deep balls of any QB i've ever seen. Sam has nice stats, but he's still not a great or even consistent passer here in year four. 

the people who are criticizing Sam are by and large praising him as well, while still being critical about his shortcomings. meanwhile, 9/10 people defending him don't just refuse to say a negative word about him, they are flat out saying that Sam is great and his defense/WRs/OLine/coaching staff are all sabotaging him left and right. that's fanboy shit, and it's dumb. to watch Sam play the last two weeks and come away with the conclusion that he's "great" and blameless is 100% delusional. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Sam has a horrible deep ball, it’s his least accurate zone to throw two. 

he’s erratic on the intermediate throws but does have some pretty good throws there. 

he’s not very good at passing to the outside boundary. 

he’s a very good college quarterback that won’t translate to the nfl game imo. 

I saw a chase Daniel comparison earlier in regards to a nfl backup QB role  but that’s not a very good one. Daniel had much better arm talent and accuracy than Sam does. 

I pretty much agree and yours is a diplomatic post. But I think Sam is a good to pretty good college qb: i.e., he is NOT a very good college qb. There are just too many mistakes. Overthrowing, underthrowing, etc. 

I agree that he has little chance of making it in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah when Joel Klatt called him a 2nd rounder the other day and a bunch of posters here started creaming themselves i was a bit incredulous. nothing that i've seen from him has me convinced that he will even play in the NFL, much less be a 2nd round pick. 

The issue is you haven't watched enough NFL QB play or draft coverage if you don't think there's a chance some team takes him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

VY as a junior was easily a better passer than Ehlinger is as a senior. Adam has better stats because it's a different era and a different offense, but VY was a legitimately good and reliable passer by his junior year, something Sam has yet to accomplish. VY also threw one of the beat deep balls of any QB i've ever seen. Sam has nice stats, but he's still not a great or even consistent passer here in year four. 

the people who are criticizing Sam are by and large praising him as well, while still being critical about his shortcomings. meanwhile, 9/10 people defending him don't just refuse to say a negative word about him, they are flat out saying that Sam is great and his defense/WRs/OLine/coaching staff are all sabotaging him left and right. that's fanboy shit, and it's dumb. to watch Sam play the last two weeks and come away with the conclusion that he's "great" and blameless is 100% delusional. 

Who's comparing him favorably to VY? I'm pretty sure 100% of the posters in this conversation have agreed that Sam's not in the same stratosphere as VY. But you know, keep on railing against the imaginary posters and what not...

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

Who's comparing him favorably to VY? I'm pretty sure 100% of the posters in this conversation have agreed that Sam's not in the same stratosphere as VY. But you know, keep on railing against the imaginary posters and what not...

lol. might wanna scroll back a few pages there champ. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

lmao, you negged me because you were caught talking out of your ass? what a pussy.

So says the person who negged me becasue I called him out for talking out of his ass.

I negged you because you negged me, you little bitch. Show me where someone said Sam is as good as VY.

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So now SMU has a bad ass defense? LOL. I bet smu would beat us and shane would put up better numbers(Like Duggan) and still would lay zero blame at Sam feet. Some of you baby the fuck out of him like you're defending VY.

So what's your reading comprehension IQ? The SMU defense could suck donkey balls and still do a better job than the Texas defense.

Just now, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

So says the person who negged me becasue I called him out for talking out of his ass.

I negged you because you negged me, you little bitch. Show me where someone said Sam is as good as VY.

did i ever insinuate that anyone here said that Ehlinger was as good as VY? no? so what are you even talking about? there's been, i dunno, a couple dozen posts or more over the last several pages comparing Sam to VY, discussing the subject, posting their stats, weighing their careers against each other, strengths and weaknesses, etc. i can't hold your hand and walk you through this thread to make sure you aren't oblivious to giant swaths of posts and lengthy conversations, but i can and will neg you when you get out of pocket with me.

you ran your mouth when you didn't know what you were talking about, and now you're doubling and tripling down on being a useless twat in this thread. get better at reading or gtfo. 

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We are scoring 30-40 points a game even with all the what the actual fuck was that play calls we are still scoring enough to win. Sam can’t play defense although I bet he could play linebacker. Our defense continues to be the shit show of the state 

That's not good enough to win most of the games in this league. Sam is the best QB we have right now (considering experience) but other elite teams around the country have better QBs. We have good to great ones backing up Sam and an elite one in Ewers coming in 2022. Those are the types of QBs you need to win consistently in this league but we are few years away from having them ready.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah when Joel Klatt called him a 2nd rounder the other day and a bunch of posters here started creaming themselves i was a bit incredulous. nothing that i've seen from him has me convinced that he will even play in the NFL, much less be a 2nd round pick. 

Proof once again that Klatt still suffers from PTSD from the Kelso hit in the Big 12 championship game of 2005.

4 hours ago, dec3169 said:

Also - am I the only person that noticed that there should've been 0:01 left on the clock after the safety?  It was clear as day - even in real time when I was yelling at my TV, but when you review on DVR it was almost 0:02 left.  We should've had time to kick one of those hard onside kicks like we did in 2009 vs Alabama.  With any luck we recover and score, or get a defensive penalty and have an untimed down.  Don't forget - TCU already committed a penalty and I still can't figure out why it wasn't enforced.

Maddening!

Not that is matters now but this is how it was explained to me by a retired college linesman and now part time high school referee. If I understood him correctly the holding is taught and practiced in exactly that situation of a few seconds remaining with the intentional safety executed when leading by more than 2 because It puts the defense that scored the safety in a catch 22. They can accept the penalty and take the points off the board but as it was a live action play and not dead ball you lose the time. In this instance tcu would rerun the play with only 1 second instead of 6, either kneeled or walked out the back of the end zone again with zero on the clock. It is essentially a freebie hold that well coached teams are taught to give the QB more time to burn. The key is the defense doesn’t get their time back and the goal is to bring the clock to zero while you execute the play and hold at the same time. 

Also he said that their was clearly 1 second left and Texas should have either accepted the penalty and made then rerun the play with 1 second left and hope for a fumble return, or declined the penalty and fair caught the punt from the 20. Herman did neither. He had two ways to fight for that if he had know the rules.  This former lineman did say he hadn’t been on a college field in 25 years. The rules may have changed. Maybe he’s wrong.

I’m going to provide an opinion here that might be met with hesitance and anger:

Casey Thompson should get get a look next time Sam struggles. Pull Sam and let him watch from the sidelines.

Perhaps some of the offensive struggles originate due to Sam, altering the playcalling.

Maybe Sam doesn’t like certain routes. Maybe his running style dictates certain playcalling. I don’t know. But someone different may open things up a bit.

Remember when Peyton left Tennessee and then they won the NC the next year? Different QB with different strengths in the same system.

We’re not winning with Sam. Maybe in a way it is due to Sam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m going to provide an opinion here that might be met with hesitance and anger:

Casey Thompson should get get a look next time Sam struggles. Pull Sam and let him watch from the sidelines.

Perhaps some of the offensive struggles originate due to Sam, altering the playcalling.

Maybe Sam doesn’t like certain routes. Maybe his running style dictates certain playcalling. I don’t know. But someone different may open things up a bit.

Remember when Peyton left Tennessee and then they won the NC the next year? Different QB with different strengths in the same system.

Lmao. Sam was one of the highest graded and most valuable QBs in CFB last season. He’s far from perfect - this is college after all - but the offense’s struggles are almost entirely on the coaching staff. This offense was near elite last season and seems to, it anything, to have taken a step back this season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Lmao. Sam was one of the highest graded and most valuable QBs in CFB last season. He’s far from perfect - this is college after all - but the offense’s struggles are almost entirely on the coaching staff. This offense was near elite last season and seems to, it anything, to have taken a step back this season.

We lost two of our best receivers to the NFL. Perhaps it has something to do with "taking a step back?" I seem to recall them making a lot of difficult catches last year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

iMsbIXv.gif

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

The offense puts points on the board. Seemingly at will most of the time. Which is why it’s dumbfounding that they often can’t even get a 1st down or score when it matters most. But overall I don’t think the offense is a big problem. 

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The thing about Sam is he has not elevated his game since his breakout year in 2018. We thought that was the year that would elevate him to one of the top QBs in the country. He hasn't. This was supposed the year that we put it all together. But after 2018, we regressed in 2019. Big time. And this year is the same bullshit on offense we saw last year. You can cheerlead all you want but he is apart of why we are failing and losing to teams we should not have. He is not a QB that can overcome how bad Tom is. 

I think Sam is an observably better quarterback now than he was then.  He's more patient, he makes his reads and he doesn't flee the pocket in a panic.

That last, though, is probably what helped him overcome his coaching.  Maybe because of the short off-season practices, I feel Herman's "make them stop us" grimy prints all over the offense, still.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think Sam is an observably better quarterback now than he was then.  He's more patient, he makes his reads and he doesn't flee the pocket in a panic.

That last, though, is probably what helped him overcome his coaching.  Maybe because of the short off-season practices, I feel Herman's "make them stop us" grimy prints all over the offense, still.

His two biggest downfall is consistency and he has a tendacy to not hit check downs often enough when the chance for 5-7 yards is there. He gets too fixed on his downfield receivers. 

New poster but I'm fired up today.

I'm a big Sam fan and think many of you are full of it.

I don't know if Sam's an NFL guy but he makes some NFL throws.

Accuracy. It seems to never be mentioned but a runner like him is going to be less accurate. Hits add up. He won't be asked to be a sort yardage runner in the NFL. That throw to Eagles for 6 was awesome. But because of movement in the pocket. LSU last year he had some amazing throws. ISU drive before half had two perfect throws.

Yesterday, he had two incompletions of non call dpi. The Eagles ball in the end zone was on the money. Black dropped one near the end zone. Moore missed one on the opening play. Smith dropped a huge play that was potentially a Td. Not including the Smith opi, he had 80 yards in big completions called back. That was 5 first downs and a Td. The pick was a miscommunication. So another possession killed on a non call and two more killed when calling back about 80 yards of passing (Woodard, Ingram). Lots of non Sam issues hurting drives.

Duggan was very good but his guys didn't drop balls and a deflection ended up a huge catch. And a handful of his completions were basically runs. And I realize Sam had a few easy throws.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

New poster but I'm fired up today.

I'm a big Sam fan and think many of you are full of it.

I don't know if Sam's an NFL guy but he makes some NFL throws.

Accuracy. It seems to never be mentioned but a runner like him is going to be less accurate. Hits add up. He won't be asked to be a sort yardage runner in the NFL. That throw to Eagles for 6 was awesome. But because of movement in the pocket. LSU last year he had some amazing throws. ISU drive before half had two perfect throws.

Yesterday, he had two incompletions of non call dpi. The Eagles ball in the end zone was on the money. Black dropped one near the end zone. Moore missed one on the opening play. Smith dropped a huge play that was potentially a Td. Not including the Smith opi, he had 80 yards in big completions called back. That was 5 first downs and a Td. The pick was a miscommunication. So another possession killed on a non call and two more killed when calling back about 80 yards of passing (Woodard, Ingram). Lots of non Sam issues hurting drives.

Duggan was very good but his guys didn't drop balls and a deflection ended up a huge catch. And a handful of his completions were basically runs. And I realize Sam had a few easy throws.

Celebration of mediocrity is not what we need at this time.

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Accuracy. It seems to never be mentioned but a runner like him is going to be less accurate. Hits add up. He won't be asked to be a sort yardage runner in the NFL.

A)it never gets mentioned because it's simply not true. occasionally running the ball has nothing to do with Sam's inconsistency throwing the ball.

and B)if he does play in the NFL then yes he will absolutely he asked to run the ball, including/especially in short yardage situations. i don't know if you happen to watch any NFL football these days but it isn't 1995 anymore, and pretty much every QB worth a damn runs the ball, including/especially in short yardage situations. not to mention that it's a pretty big part of Sam's game. it's year 4 and he's still erratic and inconsistent at times. he is who he is. if he isn't consistent against college kids then he damn sure won't be in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Actually, pretty strong post. 

no, it's another post that does nothing but slurp Sam and absolve him of any responsibility re: our team's struggles. we should have lost to Tech when Sam wasn't very good for 57 minutes, and then we did just lose to TCU in a game where Sam was not good, and yet scores of you refuse to admit that Sam is less than perfect/may have ever done anything wrong ever. it's all because his teammates and coaches are screwing him, right? how many times to does someone need to make a post like this (replete with gobs of pos rep) in this thread? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

we're going to have a game in the near future- hell, it could be this weekend against OU- where Sam is on point, and we get Good Sam all day/when it matters, and he leads us to victory, and the Sam Stans will out in full force, telling anyone who's ever criticized Sam for anything how wrong they were. Then, a week or two after that, we're going to lose to an inferior team in a game where Sam is inconsistent and erratic, and those same people are going to break their backs blaming it on everyone but Sam. rinse. repeat. the cult-like following is real. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no, it's another post that does nothing but slurp Sam and absolve him of any responsibility re: our team's struggles. we should have lost to Tech when Sam wasn't very good for 57 minutes, and then we did just lose to TCU in a game where Sam was not good, and yet scores of you refuse to admit that Sam is less than perfect/may have ever done anything wrong ever. it's all because his teammates and coaches are screwing him, right? how many times to does someone need to make a post like this (replete with gobs of pos rep) in this thread? 

We scored over 60 points against Tech and "Sam wasn't very good for 57 minutes?" Got it. 

16 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:
We scored over 60 points against Tech and "Sam wasn't very good for 57 minutes?" Got it. 

with 2:39 left in the game Sam had led our offense to a total of 3, count em, 3 offensive points in the second half vs mighty Texas Tech. yes, Sam was less than great for much of the day against TTU, until they absolutely collapsed in the final three minutes. or did you not watch the game?

10ebfecffd17c76109c9e3da1296f687.jpg

all of y'all are seriously going to keep acting like that ^^^^ didn't happen? like Sam didn't struggle against Tech? *after* watching this TTU game all of y'all are still comparing him to Colt and VY, and you think you're being rational? anyone here think that James Brown, Major, Sims, etc would have crapped the bed like this vs a bad TTU team? hell no. yet somehow Sam is perfect and blameless. this is who we are as a fan base now. University of Sam Ehlinger. when does his statue go up?

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A)it never gets mentioned because it's simply not true. occasionally running the ball has nothing to do with Sam's inconsistency throwing the ball.
and B)if he does play in the NFL then yes he will absolutely he asked to run the ball, including/especially in short yardage situations. i don't know if you happen to watch any NFL football these days but it isn't 1995 anymore, and pretty much every QB worth a damn runs the ball, including/especially in short yardage situations. not to mention that it's a pretty big part of Sam's game. it's year 4 and he's still erratic and inconsistent at times. he is who he is. if he isn't consistent against college kids then he damn sure won't be in the NFL. 

Actually I do watch the NFL. He's not Lamar Jackson. He's not a behemoth like Josh Allen. Jackson is an avoid contact guy at all costs. Not sure Allen has a comp. He will not be asked be the 3rd or 4th short yardage ball carrier unless he's running a Taysom Hill role. Mahomes spends little time on the run game and he sure as hell isn't gonna be a bull Dozier on 4th and 1 (maybe a QB sneak every now and then). Vince Young. The questions on all those guys is accuracy. There are several reasons. They likely rep the run game more than straight drop guys. Maybe hit the weight room more than Leach and Air Raid guys. Leg contusions matter. Shots to the shoulder matter. Dings to the head matter.

Did you notice how folks were saying Ingram might have been tired when he fumbled? QBs have a bit of that impact too. And the QB has to process a lot more before they next play too. Obviously he didn't run 20 times this weekend but when he has there's a good chance it impacts the accuracy. It won't make an 80 percent passer 60% but there is impact.

Some nimrod criticized Sam for waiting too late to get it going. Um Vince Young often jacked around in the 1st half (I'm not a Greg Davis fan). Think he had 5 yards passing at the half versus KU in the 4th and 18 game. Shutout vs. OU. OSU games. Hell we only had 26 points in the first 55 minutes versus USC. Ohio State in 2005? The offense didn't light it up. And he had Jamaal Charles and Ramonce Taylor in 2005. Limas Sweed. Dave Thomas. Austin Sendlein. Justin Blalock. Ahmad Hall. NFL guys on this offense? Cosmi. Eagles probably. Maybe Moore. Kerstetter will get a shot. Ingram and Roschon will get shots. Point is you can't be confident of many sure fire guys.

All QBs miss passes they should hit. Even Burrow last year and McCoy in 2008. I can tell you what I didn't see from Shipley and Quan in 08. Drops.

And this year we didn't have spring ball. Schoolers hardly been here. Smith's been out. Moore missed a year and a half. All that adds up.
If we catch those balls, we don't get the penalties (I'm not including Smith opi) and the refs make the easy, correct calls, Sam has 400 yards passing and hits 67% percent of his passes. And we most likely win. Maybe even by two scores.

Yeah, I'd like Sam to hit every throw and make every read but that's impossible. It's not a one man show. Good or bad. But Sam is in no way our problem.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

The offense puts points on the board. Seemingly at will most of the time. Which is why it’s dumbfounding that they often can’t even get a 1st down or score when it matters most. But overall I don’t think the offense is a big problem. 

It only matters to perform when they are behind and there is a sense of urgency, if they are leading they go turtle. 100% Herman culture. Great in underdog situations, suck when you're supposed to win.