Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

40 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hes a top 4 qb in school history

lolno

32 minutes ago, Hozz said:

This is probably the dumbest shit I've read on here all day.  I love Major.  I am in the Major>Simms camp.  

I'd take either right above him although the way Herman treats his qbs like battering rams they wouldn't be a great fit with him.

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I like Sam but he isn’t getting it done this year. He’s missing A LOT of open guys in the flat by trying to do too much down the field. People comparing him to Tebow are idiots. Like it or not, Tebow was a winner. Sam is above average, that’s about it.

That's an absurd comparison. Florida's defense gave up 12.5 points/game the year he won the Heisman. Sam would probably win the Heisman this year with that kind of defense.

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Something is off.  Either we have the worst receivers in the history of football or I'm crazy.  How does a Big 12 QB have a 42% completion percentage regardless of circumstance?  Duggan had just as much time or less.

Duggans receivers were making plays. Sure Sam missed some throws, especially in the first half, but in the second half we had a lot of stone hand receivers and it wasn't on Sam at all

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Y'all are a bunch of bitches.  Sam led us to 1st and goal.  I missed the part where Sam didn't protect the ball and caused the fumble that cost us the game.  

That's a perfect example of where a great quarterback makes the difference. 

A great quarterback would take control of the game in that spot.   Two plus minutes left and we're running fast at the goal line?  Sam should have slowed down.  Coming off the long run, that was not a great play to call. It should have been audibled out of or better yet just changed in the huddle.

With all the mistakes made, and all the ref problems, that game was still winnable at the end by a great quarterback.

Sam is solid, not great.

Yes, I would take vince, colt, major,  and Simms over Sam for the same reason I take those guys over any of the Tech stat monsters.  

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Nope said:

If Ingram doesn’t fumble, once again the narrative is about how Sam kept a cool head and saved our asses.

if we don't recover an onside kick against TTU (not to mention TTU gifting us the first TD with the extremely soft/"keep everything in front of us" defense they decided to play while up by 15) then we lose to TTU last week and nobody is praising the game that Sam had, seeing as he was pretty mediocre/erratic for the first 57 minutes of what should have been a loss to a team that struggled w Houston Baptist. but why acknowledge that when you could continue to blame literally everyone but our good (not great) and erratic QB? 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

which btw means that this is two weeks in a row where Sam has not been very good, period.  and yet we still had fans trying to compare him to VY and Colt heading into the TCU game. like, seriously breaking it down, pulling up old stats, and having an earnest discussion about how Sam compres to the demigod Vince Young and the legend Colt McCoy. stupid.

now those same fans, who believed they were being rational while having said discussion, are now convincing themselves that they're still being rational when they say, "well Sam is still a great college QB who is simply being let down by everyone around him." wrong. he's a talented, inconsistent, enigmatic QB who grew up in Westlake loving the Horns, and because of his background/family story many of our fans have taken who they want him to be and projected it onto him as if it's all fact. He is a good college QB, but he is not special. If he were born and raised in Delaware then a large portion of our fans would have a much different take on how he stacks up as college QB. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Y'all are a bunch of bitches.  Sam led us to 1st and goal.  I missed the part where Sam didn't protect the ball and caused the fumble that cost us the game.  

this line of thinking (continued in your next post) is so prevalent it's embarrassing. about 1/3 of the people in the last 2-3 pages keep making some version of this same post, which amounts to "Everything that we did that was good was because of Sam, and everything that was bad had nothing to do with him." i like how "Sam led us to 1st and goal", like he did it all by himself, yet he apparently had nothing to do with the fact that we were losing in the first place. delusion, thy name is surly. 

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hes a top 4 qb in school history

without him, herman would likely already be gone.

He will stick in the nfl for a while. Some of yall are idiots

VY, Colt, Bobby Layne, James Street; which one of them is Sam superior to? 

at this point we should be comparing Sam to the likes of Major Applewhite and Chris Simms, seeing where he stacks up to guys like that. this "all-time great QB" conversation needs to stop. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

my opinion of Sam changed today.

he's absorbed Tom's loser mentality. Maybe because he never had a father and he sees our dumb fuck head coach as his daddy and blindly follows his pussy attitude.

surrendering at the end of the 1st half like a pussy.

Vince would have told Tom to go fuck himself. Sam wants a daddy more than winning.

• Fuck You 16

11 minutes ago, horn.g20 said:

he's absorbed Tom's loser mentality. Maybe because he never had a father and he sees our dumb fuck head coach as his daddy and blindly follows his pussy attitude.

Vince would have told Tom to go fuck himself. Sam wants a daddy more than winning.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29o1w15pqjv9vu1x7wv6

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

at this point we should be comparing Sam to the likes of Major Applewhite and Chris Simms, seeing where he stacks up to guys like that. this "all-time great QB" conversation needs to stop. 

Simms had his really bad games but was 26-6 as a starter I wouldn’t jump to put Sam in his category even. Sam is 25-14...  wins are what count and that’s defiantly not all time great stats.

Edited by Hook1997

7 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

James Brown is who  I compare him to.  Both were nails in big games, had tons of heart, and couldn't carry a team.   Neither is an all time great.  But I love them both as Horns.

James brown won a big 12 championship against Nebraska. Sam isn’t even in his category.

VY, Bobby Layne, James street, Colt, James Brown, applewhite and sims. Sam is probably 8th. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, horn.g20 said:

The fuck. Did you think his dad died right after nutting in his mom? He was 14

• Like 1

Ehllinger knows he did not play well... takes some responsibility for the loss

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30031986/sam-ehlinger-says-no-9-texas-deserves-better-again-losing-unranked-team

Sam Ehlinger says No. 9 Texas 'deserves better' after Longhorns again lose to unranked team

Sam Khan Jr.ESPN Staff Writer

Texas senior quarterback Sam Ehlinger said his school "deserves better," after the No. 9 Longhorns lost at home to unranked TCU on Saturday.  The 33-31 loss to the Horned Frogs marked the sixth time since 2017 that the Longhorns have entered a game ranked in the Associated Press poll and lost to an unranked opponent, the most such defeats in the FBS in that time span.

"Losing bothers me the most," a visibly dejected Ehlinger said afterward. "This university deserves better. And it's very frustrating when it's self-inflicting and it's preventable by attention to detail and playing the way we all know that everybody is capable of playing in this program.". The loss was also Texas' sixth to TCU in the past seven years. The Horned Frogs' 6-1 mark against Texas since 2014 is the best record of any Longhorns conference opponent in that time frame.

The game was littered with penalties; the 26 infractions was the most in a game this season involving a Power 5 conference team. Though he threw for four touchdowns, Ehlinger completed only 17 of 36 pass attempts (47.2%), marking the third-worst completion percentage Ehlinger has had in his 39-game career. TCU held Ehlinger to a similarly low completion rate last season (45.8%) in the Horned Frogs' 37-27 win over Texas in 2019.

The Longhorns also committed two turnovers, an Ehlinger interception and a Keaontay Ingram fumble at the TCU 1-yard-line with 2:32 remaining and the Longhorns trailing by 4.  "We can't continue to beat ourselves the way that we have these last two weeks and expect to win many more ballgames," Texas coach Tom Herman said. "That's on me to get them ready and find a way to make sure that we don't beat ourselves."

Ehlinger said he tried to encourage Ingram after the loss. "Everybody made a ton of mistakes," Ehlinger said. "It's more on me than it is on him. I don't want him to think that he lost the game for us.". He later added: "Everybody's got to take ownership of their mistakes. Own it. Don't point fingers."

The Longhorns face rival Oklahoma next week in the annual Red River Showdown. With both teams possessing a loss, it will serve as a critical game to both teams' hopes to make it to the Big 12 championship game, because the loser will have two conference defeats with six games still left to play. The team's focus, Ehlinger said, can't go beyond the day-to-day.

"We shouldn't even be thinking big picture right now with the amount of small mistakes that we made," he said. "We've got to come in tomorrow and get better. Obviously, we've got a big one this week and we've got to focus on the next one."

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

That's a perfect example of where a great quarterback makes the difference. 

A great quarterback would take control of the game in that spot.   Two plus minutes left and we're running fast at the goal line?  Sam should have slowed down.  Coming off the long run, that was not a great play to call. It should have been audibled out of or better yet just changed in the huddle.

With all the mistakes made, and all the ref problems, that game was still winnable at the end by a great quarterback.

Sam is solid, not great.

Yes, I would take vince, colt, major,  and Simms over Sam for the same reason I take those guys over any of the Tech stat monsters.  

you get the defense on their heels you step on their fucking throat and hope like hell your defense can stop them with 2 minutes left, but since we fumbled we should have slowed down. god damnit if we would have slowed down and fumbled everyone would be losing their minds about why did we slow down.

25 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

What would Sam be with the SMU defense? 3-0 and the spread covered in every game probably. Wake me when Sam starts playing defense.

So now SMU has a bad ass defense? LOL. I bet smu would beat us and shane would put up better numbers(Like Duggan) and still would lay zero blame at Sam feet. Some of you baby the fuck out of him like you're defending VY.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So now SMU has a bad ass defense? LOL. I bet smu would beat us and shane would put up better numbers(Like Duggan) and still would lay zero blame at Sam feet. Some of you baby the fuck out of him like you're defending VY.

If Sam and Shane switched teams the opposite would also be true. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

you do realize TCU knew a lot of our plays yesterday? They were jumping routes, mugging our receivers the entire time, and Sam had a clean pocket maybe 15% of the game

Next week, ou is going to be holding the fuck out of our WR corps. Same as last year. Should be ugly

Sam will have almost every record in the book at Texas when he is done. He singlehandedly is this team. Maybe he isnt a top 4 qb, but hes a solid #5. May slide into #4 depending on what happens this season

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hookem48 said:

you get the defense on their heels you step on their fucking throat and hope like hell your defense can stop them with 2 minutes left, but since we fumbled we should have slowed down. god damnit if we would have slowed down and fumbled everyone would be losing their minds about why did we slow down.

I guess it just depends how much faith you have in your team. Slow down the game and force TCU to make a decision on what they will do. But instead we made the wrong decision, on a stupid playcall. Scoring fast gives TCU the ball anyway with a chance to win or likely tie with a fg. Slowing down is as much about not not giving TCU the ball as it is about anything else.

14 hours ago, ChemicalHorn said:

This is obviously true - Dan Marino is an all time QB despite zero rings. 

But, in college, a great QB will almost always lift his program to previously unreached height, e.g. Drew Brees winning a Big Ten title at Purdue. Pat Mahomes - idk what to tell ya. For the most part, I don’t think looking at team success is a terrible metric to use when considering how “great” a QB is.

Uh, thanks for proving my point. Brees did win a Big Ten title in a weak conference year, but Mahomes didn't win shit at Tech, they reached much better team success under Leach before he was there. They were under .500 with Mahomes as quarterback. Hell, there were LOTS of people that thought Mayfield was a better QB for the exact same reason you guys are arguing here. Team success.

16 hours ago, Hozz said:

Sam is a great college QB.  He had an off day today accuracy wise but he was in no way responsible for the loss.  He's our best player and its not at all close.  This was, 100%,  a coaching loss.  Our coaches are letting these players down all week long and then especially on game day with retard level football IQ decisions.

I’d say same is a good college QB, not great if we’re being perfectly realistic here. 

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

People are getting lost in the stats. They see the numbers and assume. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, horn.g20 said:

Take a lap

Only idiots would say Sam sucks. And almost no one here is saying that. But it also doesn’t mean he isn’t what he is. He has intangibles that make him a good QB and beloved by many longhorn fans including myself. But my point is that those personal records, especially in this era of cfb, means less to me than if he had best winning %. And yes that does relate to the team, but at the end of the day it’s his wins and losses that will be remembered. Not how many TDs he had through 3 games of the 2020 season. 
It all goes hand in hand and whether that’s fair to Sam I guess is up for debate. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Only idiots would say Sam sucks. And almost no one here is saying that. But it also doesn’t mean he isn’t what he is. He has intangibles that make him a good QB and beloved by many longhorn fans including myself. But my point is that those personal records, especially in this era of cfb, means less to me than if he had best winning %. And yes that does relate to the team, but at the end of the day it’s his wins and losses that will be remembered. Not how many TDs he had through 3 games of the 2020 season. 
It all goes hand in hand and whether that’s fair to Sam I guess is up for debate. 

So all you remember about Patrick Mahomes is he was a losing QB in college? I seriously doubt that. 

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So all you remember about Patrick Mahomes is he was a losing QB in college? I seriously doubt that. 

Your replies are so weak dude...lol. But sure I remember some thing about Mahomes, like when Quandre knocked him out of the game.

Edited by taybo20

Your points are what's weak. A quarterback, like every other player, is responsible for his performance.

Do you think Paul Thompson is remembered as a better college quarterback than Patrick Mahomes? Jay Barker better than Peyton Manning? 

You are upset that Texas lost a football game and your posts are clearly and demonstrably wrong. You claim that quarterbacks should be judged and are only remembered for winning percentage and championships. That's silly and incorrect. 

James Brown won more championships than Colt McCoy. You don't even have to consider winning percentage before you laugh off any suggestion that Brown might have been as good as McCoy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, taybo20 said:

I guess it just depends how much faith you have in your team. Slow down the game and force TCU to make a decision on what they will do. But instead we made the wrong decision, on a stupid playcall. Scoring fast gives TCU the ball anyway with a chance to win or likely tie with a fg. Slowing down is as much about not not giving TCU the ball as it is about anything else.

Maybe if we went to another RB instead of continuing to put Ingram out there we might gain ground.  If we need to lose a yard he is our man.  I swear he lost yards on at least 3 or 4 drives in a row.  Then when he breaks one he forgets the basics and decides to do what every coach since pee-wee league has likely told him not to do - he tries to extend the ball.  His arms weren't long enough to even reach the goal line - the extra foot or 2 he extended wouldn't have mattered the next play because Sam would've either thrown it or done it himself.

I can't completely blame him either - we were awful (as were the refs but that isn't an excuse here).  That play near the end of the game when the frogs scored by simply running up the middle was typical.  Before TCU even snapped the ball I told my wife that we just lost.  No horns were in the middle at all - NONE.  There was a 10-15 foot wide hole.  Pathetic.

I did notice a few decent tackles, but they were rare.

Also - am I the only person that noticed that there should've been 0:01 left on the clock after the safety?  It was clear as day - even in real time when I was yelling at my TV, but when you review on DVR it was almost 0:02 left.  We should've had time to kick one of those hard onside kicks like we did in 2009 vs Alabama.  With any luck we recover and score, or get a defensive penalty and have an untimed down.  Don't forget - TCU already committed a penalty and I still can't figure out why it wasn't enforced.

Maddening!

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Your points are what's weak. A quarterback, like every other player, is responsible for his performance.

Do you think Paul Thompson is remembered as a better college quarterback than Patrick Mahomes? Jay Barker better than Peyton Manning? 

You are upset that Texas lost a football game and your posts are clearly and demonstrably wrong. You claim that quarterbacks should be judged and are only remembered for winning percentage and championships. That's silly and incorrect. 

James Brown won more championships than Colt McCoy. You don't even have to consider winning percentage before you laugh off any suggestion that Brown might have been as good as McCoy.

You couldn’t even hit reply to my post just to alert me that you had...that’s pretty weak.

But I’m here. Again this has NOTHING to do with how “good” a QB is. You are such an insufferable, arrogant poster you just want to argue because you want to be right about a non-issue. I would rather have his records be in wins versus throwing TDs, is not a negative against Sam. It’s subjective and I know that frustrates you since you are analytically based in your assessments. In fact, I’m pretty sure it’s actually supporting your point, but maybe you are the one this is angry and you just want to argue. It’s absolutely stupid to think I only have 1 criteria to judge QBs. And if that’s what you think, you are more wrong than lining up with the middle of the field open for a Duggan TD. 

I’m haven’t said that Sam is as good as so and so, nor have I compared him to anyone. But to take your analogy shit, do you think Jerrod Heard was a great QB? He has the record for most yards in a game? That’s asinine.

There are multiple ways to judge, remember, whatever a QB. Some on their own merit and others on the teams or those around them.  None of them are exclusive, nor should they be. But it’s an opinion on what I’d prefer Sam’s “records” be. You made my point in regards to Paul Thompson..that guy was completely uninspiring but if he’s remembered for anything it’s that he won games at OU.  Doesn’t mean he’s better than anyone, and in the majority of cases he most definitely is not.

• Fuck You 1

Since I’ve been watching UT games (1993), here’s the Top 10 seasons for QBs, without factoring defense/special teams, but considering talent around them:

Legendary
05 Young
08 Colt

MVP
18 Ehlinger
99 Applewhite
02 Simms (by end of the year the passing game was lethal; beat Saban in Cotton Bowl)
09 McCoy (he sucked early on and against good defenses. Greg Davis and Mack Brown’s complacency with talent, scheme, and development on offense)

Good to Great
04 Young (hard to measure this one, he sucked early on)
06 McCoy (injured late)
19 Ehlinger (had awful coaching)
98 Applewhite

Honorable Mentions:
David Ash 2012 (horrible defense)
McCoy 2007 (turnover machine)
Buechele 2016 (faded late)
James Brown 1994-96 (Mackovic did him no favors with 7-step drops. These offenses were plagued by turnovers and penalties. Exceptional backfield).

2020 Ehlinger looks fine. Mistakes around him were costly. His pocket presence is developing and he’s throwing guys open. His deep ball is better. Running game was anemic.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Ehlinger is a good college QB. You should be able to win the conference and be in the playoffs with a QB like Ehlinger at Texas if he is paired with good coaching and you have good defense and special teams.

If you have a poorly coached team he is not going to Vince Young your team to a title. Big deal, neither are 99.99999999999999999999% of college QBs who have ever played. If the expectation is a VY level player at QB then you're all going to be disappointed for the rest of your lives.

VY has a son, right?

29 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

Also - am I the only person that noticed that there should've been 0:01 left on the clock after the safety?  It was clear as day - even in real time when I was yelling at my TV, but when you review on DVR it was almost 0:02 left.  We should've had time to kick one of those hard onside kicks like we did in 2009 vs Alabama.  With any luck we recover and score, or get a defensive penalty and have an untimed down.  Don't forget - TCU already committed a penalty and I still can't figure out why it wasn't enforced.

Maddening!

tcu would kick to TEXAS after a safety...

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

tcu would kick to TEXAS after a safety...

Duh - you're right.  My bad.  It's so rare for that kind of safety I forgot we would actually get the ball.  

Even worse!  Kickoff isn't timed until the ball is touched.  Of course if it were me kicking I'd probably do an onside because of all the bouncing - the time would run out easily.  I don't know - that 0:01 helped us against Nebraska - who knows if it would've helped here.  It does concern me that NONE of our coaches even seemed bothered enough to question it.  Mack was on top of it vs Nebraska.

Just now, dec3169 said:

Duh - you're right.  My bad.  It's so rare for that kind of safety I forgot we would actually get the ball.  

Even worse!  Kickoff isn't timed until the ball is touched.  Of course if it were me kicking I'd probably do an onside because of all the bouncing - the time would run out easily.  I don't know - that 0:01 helped us against Nebraska - who knows if it would've helped here.  It does concern me that NONE of our coaches even seemed bothered enough to question it.  Mack was on top of it vs Nebraska.

Yes, we would have lost anyway but there is zero excuse for the paid coaching staff not to protest for that second. Just one more example of Herman not paying attention to or understanding the game situation. 

Fair or not, you can't be a legend at Texas without winning a conference championship. For all the stats Sam has accumulated to put him near thr top of the record books, they won't mean much to fans few years from now if he fails to win the conference. This year, he has or had his best chance, but I am disappointed that he came out flat in the last two games. To be legend, you gotta go full speed from start to finish. Don't be arrogant thinking you can just turn it up in the last few minutes and win it. That's not the attitude of someone who wants to be the best at his craft.

7 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Fair or not, you can't be a legend at Texas without winning a conference championship. For all the stats Sam has accumulated to put him near thr top of the record books, they won't mean much to fans few years from now if he fails to win the conference. This year, he has or had his best chance, but I am disappointed that he came out flat in the last two games. To be legend, you gotta go full speed from start to finish. Don't be arrogant thinking you can just turn it up in the last few minutes and win it. That's not the attitude of someone who wants to be the best at his craft.

Meh. It doesn’t have anything to do with coming out flat or lacking attitude. We’re just a poorly coached team, again. There’s very few players historically that can overcome that. Sam isn’t in that truly elite group, but he’s most definitely good enough to win a conference with good coaching and good players around him. He never got that in his 4 years, which really sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1