Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Just now, 4th&Five said:

It shouldn’t be. It should be how Tom Herman coached teams continually look lost and not ready to play and always play down to their competition. Same reasons I wasn’t celebrating last week and knew we’d be in a close game today. We’re rarely prepared and almost always outcoached. 

I agree with all of this 

17 minutes ago, Hozz said:

This is a shit take.  Duggan had a great game.  He's not going to play like that most weeks and TCU will be lucky to be a .500 team.  If Duggan ever has a season, numbers wise, better than Sam, I'll be shocked.  This game was typical TCU v Texas in the Big 12 era, Patterson coaching circles around our fucking idiots.

We seem to hear that refrain a lot. Against BYU. Against Maryland. Against West Virginia. Against Iowa State. Against KSU. Against TCU...

All of them seem to have a QB that plays the game of their career against our defense and shit the bed the rest of the season.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Lol. Check out last years TCU game where (freshman) Duggan also outplayed Sam—

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401112132

Coaching too though right?

I mean, yeah.  Patterson is a better coach than Herman.  You disagree?  Sam is setting records here.  Is Duggan going to do that at TCU?  Honestly, I have no fucking idea because I don't follow them.  Maybe he is relatively better for them than Sam is for us, but I highly doubt it.  Sam is the third best QB Texas has had in the 40 years I've been watching.  Not good enough for you?  He's not the reason we lost today even though he had a bad game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Hozz said:

I mean, yeah.  Patterson is a better coach than Herman.  You disagree?  Sam is setting records here.  Is Duggan going to do that at TCU?  Honestly, I have no fucking idea because I don't follow them.  Maybe he is relatively better for them than Sam is for us, but I highly doubt it.  Sam is the third best QB Texas has had in the 40 years I've been watching.  Not good enough for you?  He's not the reason we lost today even though he had a bad game.

If he played us every week he would because coaches do whatever they want against us. You know, actually game planning for an opponent. 

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Sam had 36 of his 49 rushing yards on one play. Without that threat he is MUCH more manageable to defend. 

For some reason he does seem more reluctant to take off and run this season.  I don't get it really.  he had that one Long run , but I also saw him run laterally looking for a throw when he could have picked up positive yards.  

32 minutes ago, Hozz said:

The only record I really care about are winning % and most championships won by a QB. I mean largely those personal accomplishments get touted a lot but really don’t mean that much. The offenses are far different than they have been in your 49 years of watching.

Edited by taybo20
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

For some reason he does seem more reluctant to take off and run this season.  I don't get it really.  he had that one Long run , but I also saw him run laterally looking for a throw when he could have picked up positive yards.  

It’s really fucking frustrating.  Anyone know if he is being coached to not take off?  

4 minutes ago, Xian said:

It’s really fucking frustrating.  Anyone know if he is being coached to not take off?  

Seems like yurcich wants to take more shots deep.  I feel  like I've seen more deep throws in this first 3 games than all last season.  So I'm guessing Sam has bought into that and is happy to buy time hoping someone breaks free.  Problem is, he doesn't seem a great on the run thrower. 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

12 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The only record I really care about are winning % and most championships won by a QB. I mean largely those personal accomplishments get touted a lot but really don’t mean that much. The offenses are far different than they have been in your 49 years of watching.

This is a bad take if you're trying to determine how good a quarterback is. 

Unless you think Greg McLeroy was a better college quarterback than Colt McCoy.

He didn’t have a bad game, just an average one.

Sam was never going to lead us to the promised land, but he’s the cog we needed to get us going in the right direction. I don’t think he’s the 3rd best qb we’ve had in the last 40 years. I’d take Major, Peter and James Brown over him all day.

Tough winner? Of course. Elite game changing QB? Not in my opinion.

Sam is a good dude but we need more talent and better coaching.

Our coaching has sucked balls for 11 years. We have no discipline and poor fundamentals.

11 minutes ago, Xian said:

today they were probably trying to protect his injury.  that said.  this game was lost on shitty coaching, stupid penalties, bullshit officiating and turnovers.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is a bad take if you're trying to determine how good a quarterback is. 

Unless you think Greg McLeroy was a better college quarterback than Colt McCoy.

That’s a bad analogy and doesn’t really get to the point of what I’m saying. 

Edited by taybo20

37 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Obviously Patterson is a better coach than MENSA. But if you’re arguing that Sam needs better coaching, in addition to the better talent he already has, to outplay Duggan even 1 out of 2 games, you’re kinda making my point for me.

Look at it this way: if we have Colt of VY behind center today, we all know we’re not losing. I don’t think we lose with even a Jalen Hurts back there. We lost today. Sam isn’t some irreplaceable talent being held back by those around him.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

How is that a bad analogy? I can give you a hundred more examples if you'd like. 

Championships are won by teams.

Because it’s not the point...lol. Idk what you are even arguing because you’ve failed even make a point. Breaking passing records is largely meaningless without wins behind it, is my point.   

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

How is that a bad analogy? I can give you a hundred more examples if you'd like. 

Championships are won by teams.

This is obviously true - Dan Marino is an all time QB despite zero rings. 

But, in college, a great QB will almost always lift his program to previously unreached height, e.g. Drew Brees winning a Big Ten title at Purdue. Pat Mahomes - idk what to tell ya. For the most part, I don’t think looking at team success is a terrible metric to use when considering how “great” a QB is.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

sam can put up numbers and as a leader he’s fine but he’s a far cry from vince or colt when it comes to taking a team by the balls and leading them to great things. 

Exactly. He is better than the junk we had after Colt but he is not taking us where we would like to go. Maybe with a much better staff but that is not happening. He seems like a great kid, leader and has tons of fight but he is not even close to what you think of when you think of elite QBs.

Some of y'all have lost your minds.

Preface.. I'm not at all a Sam apologist. I think on a scale of David Ash to Colt McCoy he's closer to Ash then Colt. Good college QB, overrated on here. Tough dude. I like him.

If I were to make a list of why we lost today, I would probably have 30 things written down before I got to Sam.

His receivers were not getting open all day and when they did they dropped passes. He faced a lot of pressure and when he did he made good safe on-the-run throws where he put balls in places that either the WR or nobody would catch it. Almost every time nobody caught it. Even his interception looked to be a misread by the WR. That wasn't a misfire throw, he threw a different route than the WR ran. Almost certainly the WRs fault.

Shitty loss and I get lashing out at anything and everything but Sam played a solid game and had the refs and his WRs and play callers even been mediocre today we win by 3 touchdowns. Sam isn't a VY or a Colt but he's a QB that a top tier coach would easily win one or more conference titles with.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I agree Sam could win a championship for the top coaches easy. He’s not overcoming Herman to win one like VY did and colt almost did. This is why I’m livid.

Of course not.

I'm not convinced VY himself could overcome Herman. He is a fucking garbage tier coach and it's been obvious for two years if not three and a half.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I don’t think many of us are blaming him for the loss. We had multiple chances to win and never made the play. Including him. 

This. Plenty of blame to go around, including the QB who completed less than 50% of his passes. People on here wanna pretend like all the other players are letting Sam down when he’s as much at fault as the rest.

Who cares?  He put them in a position to win with 2+ minutes to go and the RB blew it, not Sam.  

Against tech up with the ball and a chance to put it away. Didn’t. Got lucky. Against TCU, let the roaches stick around. We have no reason to be down this late in the game agains also-rans. The exact play that cost the game wasn’t his fault but he could do more, which is what legends do.

2 hours ago, Whatever said:

He didn’t have a bad game, just an average one.

Sam was never going to lead us to the promised land, but he’s the cog we needed to get us going in the right direction. I don’t think he’s the 3rd best qb we’ve had in the last 40 years. I’d take Major, Peter and James Brown over him all day.

Tough winner? Of course. Elite game changing QB? Not in my opinion.

Sam is a good dude but we need more talent and better coaching.

Our coaching has sucked balls for 11 years. We have no discipline and poor fundamentals.

This is probably the dumbest shit I've read on here all day.  I love Major.  I am in the Major>Simms camp.  That said, there is fucking no way he was better at Texas than Sam.  Your other two mentions don't even warrant a comment.  But I will comment.  Brown...are you kidding me?  If you seriously think he was a better QB than Sam at Texas then we don't speak the same language and can't have a discussion.  Gardere beat OU 4 times and that's awesome but he was in no way better than Sam outside of that OU W-L record.

3 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Do you also judge pitchers by their W-L record?

This is probably the dumbest shit I've read on here all day.  I love Major.  I am in the Major>Simms camp.  That said, there is fucking no way he was better at Texas than Sam.  Your other two mentions don't even warrant a comment.  But I will comment.  Brown...are you kidding me?  If you seriously think he was a better QB than Sam at Texas then we don't speak the same language and can't have a discussion.  Gardere beat OU 4 times and that's awesome but he was in no way better than Sam outside of that OU W-L record.

The dumbest shit you’ve read on here? Doubtful.

Hey man, those are my opinions. By no means are they fact. Come over and I’ll pour you a nice bourbon. Chill out buddy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whatever said:

The dumbest shit you’ve read on here? Doubtful.

Hey man, those are my opinions. By no means are they fact. Come over and I’ll pour you a nice bourbon. Chill out buddy.

My bad I'm pretty tuned up over this.  I'd like a bourbon, thank you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hes a top 4 qb in school history

without him, herman would likely already be gone.

He will stick in the nfl for a while. Some of yall are idiots

He’ll “stick” in the NFL? So he’s maybe Chase Daniel? Cool. 

Maybe he is top 4 in school history -we’ve had 4 win NCs, and Colt, but obviously 60s were a different type of football- but that says more about our QB history than Sam being great imo.

The thing about Sam is he has not elevated his game since his breakout year in 2018. We thought that was the year that would elevate him to one of the top QBs in the country. He hasn't. This was supposed the year that we put it all together. But after 2018, we regressed in 2019. Big time. And this year is the same bullshit on offense we saw last year. You can cheerlead all you want but he is apart of why we are failing and losing to teams we should not have. He is not a QB that can overcome how bad Tom is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The thing about Sam is he has not elevated his game since his breakout year in 2018. We thought that was the year that would elevate him to one of the top QBs in the country. He hasn't. This was supposed the year that we put it all together. But after 2018, we regressed in 2019. Big time. And this year is the same bullshit on offense we saw last year. You can cheerlead all you want but he is apart of why we are failing and losing to teams we should not have. He is not a QB that can overcome how bad Tom is. 

I agree to an extent but that being said I'll still be hoping he decides to come back next year.