Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

55 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

All good ?

Nah. Where was this all game long? This is the worst OU team on both sides of the ball I have seen in a long time. We had 17pts until the final minutes. If you are happy with this shit, cool. It might be entertaining but the real good QBs are more consistent than this.

And as I type this, he threw a god awful pick. If you consider yourself really good, you go out and beat this shitty OU team. But he didn't.

But I'm sure many will pat him on the back for the comeback we had. But in the end, another OU loss. 

• Like 1

I’ll eat a little crow for some hyperbole. He’s not ass, he’s very mediocre guy who plays better with his back against the wall, but as soon as he started having to throw the ball down the field against a non prevent defense we were fucked. The difference in the OT was Rattler made a bunch of throws Sam isn’t capable of.

But plenty of y’all are gonna come on here and say what a dumbass anyone who is critical of Sam is, so whatever. 

Pack it up, season is a bust. Maybe our next 3+ year starter will win something of consequence.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I want you to think about how you defend Dak to great lengths, and then read what you wrote above. 

I want you to think about who gives a shit about Dak right now. Sam just lost to Spencer Rattler and this shitty OU team.

But if you want to play that game, why are you giving Sam a pass and not Dak if they are the same thing in your eyes?

Imagine Dak's defense actually making him a stop when the time was needed. Dak never got that one time when he needed it. Had Dallas' defense been out there, OU never gives the ball back to Sam.

5 minutes ago, Best served cold said:

How many wide open receivers did he miss today that would have resulted in first downs at a minimum? Hell I don't believe he completed a single pass that was more than 15 yards downfield!

6 of 14 yards or more actually, but I think your point is he was inaccurate most of the day downfield and I would agree with the assessment.  It wasn't his best day, but he did put us in position to win the game a couple of times and unfortunately, we still couldn't get it done.  Feels like a culture and coaching issue rather than 1 singular player.

5 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

I’ll eat a little crow for some hyperbole. He’s not ass, he’s very mediocre guy who plays better with his back against the wall, but as soon as he started having to throw the ball down the field against a non prevent defense we were fucked. The difference in the OT was Rattler made a bunch of throws Sam isn’t capable of.

But plenty of y’all are gonna come on here and say what a dumbass anyone who is critical of Sam is, so whatever. 

Pack it up, season is a bust. Maybe our next 3+ year starter will win something of consequence.

This right here is perfect.  He’s got grit, gusto, Plays good mostly when it counts at the end, all of it but he’s not a overall a very good qb that could ever contend for a championship.  Love the kid but let’s see what else we have next year and hope he makes a practice squad.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

lmao wanna bet?

You don't think we can get a better QB in here? If not, that is a knock on our coaching staff and recruiting. Especially with all the talent in this state. You don't win any huge games with Sam at QB.

It is criminal that this whole past decade, our best QB is Sam. He's not bad but for a program like Texas to have him as their best and not even close says a lot about the state of our program. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

You don't think we can get a better QB in here? If not, that is a knock on our coaching staff and recruiting. Especially with all the talent in this state. You don't win any huge games with Sam at QB.

It is criminal that this whole past decade, our best QB is Sam. He's not bad but for a program like Texas to have him as their best and not even close says a lot about the state of our program. 

No, I do not think that there will be a miracle better QB than Sam in the near future.

Just now, UhhhIdk said:

He puts us in a hole then almost gets us out of it. We shouldn’t be in that hole to begin with. I cheat on my girlfriend all the time then she breaks up with me then I win her back, doesn’t make me a great boyfriend does it

It does if you share her nudes

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

No, I do not think that there will be a miracle better QB than Sam in the near future.

2022 is calling if he stays committed he will be much better.  Highest rated qb out of high school since Vince and Trevor Lawrence 4,600 yards 47 TD 3 Int’s as a sophomore and can throw it 75 yards.  He’s already more accurate with deep balls then Sam.

Edited by Hook1997

I like Sam. He loves this university like we all do and does give a shit. However, the way he's playing this year is how he always is and always will be. He is extremely streaky on drives, with them either looking incredible or wtf moments. He's not a player to win a NC or Heisman, but he's certainly a good player and the best QB we've had since Colt. 

However, this coaching staff is the one that is wasting him. A player like Sam should win at least one Big XII championship. With that fucking thief Herman, we've wasted all four opportunities for him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Then shut it the fuck down if the best we can do is 4 and 5 loss seasons and 7 losses to unranked teams as a ranked team. 

He puts up great numbers and leaves it all on the field but too often his plays at the end cost us games. We’ve seen it since his freshman year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, satyanash said:

And that's the major problem..... Besides plays Sam's involved in, we had 29 yards total as a team without him.  That's not winning football.  Only 1 time in VY's career did we have such uneven production skewed to a single player and that was on the road to Ohio State.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

He puts up great numbers and leaves it all on the field but too often his plays at the end cost us games. We’ve seen it since his freshman year. 

Angilau, Ingram, and Bujcevski. Three players, off the top of my head, who had far far worse games than Ehlinger and made irredeemably stupid mistakes.

Yet no one seems to have the same energy criticizing them that they have going after Sam.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Angilau, Ingram, and Bujcevski. Three players, off the top of my head, who had far far worse games than Ehlinger and made irredeemably stupid mistakes.

Yet no one seems to have the same energy criticizing them that they have going after Sam.

Christian Jones.  Wow.  Feel bad for the kid, but he was probably the poorest of the game.  Juwan didn't play very well at all.   Look, we're running Money out there in 4/5 WR sets.  That's embarrassing in itself.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The QB is always going to take more heat than the LG, RB, and P, especially with a multiple interception day. Whether or not it is fair is another thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sam isn't the biggest problem on this team, but he hasn't played well enough to not have to fight for his job either. He has completed 55% of his passes the last 2 weeks and that is unacceptable for a 4 year starter. I know he wasn't helped last week with dropped passes, but he has had a lot of errant throws lately as well. I love his heart and competitiveness, but that doesn't mean shit if you can't complete a pass 15 yards downfield. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t defend either blindly. I think they’re very comparable. I constantly say Dak is a good QB, borderline Top 10 in the league, and in true Drew fashion, you defend him with hyperbole. 

Their teams’ Ds are also extremely comparable. Our D let OU run a train up our ass in OT. 

You say we will be better off moving on from Tom and Sam. I agree on the former, like now, and I think we’d be nuts to want Sam to leave after this season. And anyone who thinks Sam isn’t getting drafted in ‘21 or ‘22 is just angry we’re losing and saying irrational things. He’ll be drafted right about where Dak will. His success in the league will be totally dependent upon the team he lands on and improving his accuracy. Just like Dak. 

I love Dak as a person. I question his leadership this season, but WANT him to do well. Just like Sam. Both are good. Neither is great. And both are falling short. 

You cannot see the similarities, blindly defend Dak, and are critical of Sam. Why?

You’re an idiot dude. What’s your relation to the Ehlinger family? 

ive never wanted to fight an Internet stranger so bad in my life 

Edited by UhhhIdk
  • Fuck You 7

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

He played well enough to win - that horrendous OT defense though. Giving up easy TDs in 2 plays over and over again

He didn’t though. We got shutout for 27 minutes of the second half. He threw two terrible interceptions in the end zone. He missed guys all day when they actually got open. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This. Every starter should feel 100% secure in their role. You don’t want to challenge or push them in any way, or make them feel like poor performance could cost them their spot. 

Bullshit.  You want your backups competing and pushing your starters.  Everything is a competition.  No ones job is safe.  That’s how you get better. 

How do you expect backups to perform with your attitude?  Next man up. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The problem is Sam can be a good QB but is limited by play calling , coaches and the players around him. A lot of teams "help" a QB out when he's struggling. Texas leans more on Sam. Its kinda unfair , but life aint fair. 

Sam's deep ball also has been horribad . Good coaches scheme and create match ups to make good QB's better. Sam gets no help and then struggles and pushes making him turn dumb dumb. Texas entire team and coaches seem dysfunctional and silo'd  

Love his heart and I will always give him props and respect for standing for the eyes alone. Fucking gut punching pic

I wish him the best 

17 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He didn’t though. We got shutout for 27 minutes of the second half. He threw two terrible interceptions in the end zone. He missed guys all day when they actually got open. 

He also literally scored every single one of our touchdowns. This was the "help" he got from the running game:

Ej_w2EBWoAA5BCL?format=jpg&name=large

Go after the O-line (Angilau, especially) and its pathetic job of run-blocking before going after Sam.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

399 yards and 6 TDs shows you’re the clear starter. It’s not a poor performance. It wasn’t good enough to overcome our D or Herman. Sam is showing right now he’s not as good as VY or Colt. Yet you seriously want to open a competition with no VY or Colt on the roster?  Idiot. 

I never said that. He was a big reason we lost today, but also just about the only reason we were in the game. I think he’s the best QB we currently have. I took your post to mean that Sam’s job should be his no matter if he threw for 2 yards and 6 INTs today. Which given your posting history about him is not hard to believe at all. 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

The fact that people think Sam ehlinger is the reason Texas lost are fucking out of their minds. Go to the fire Tom Herman thread. He deserves to be fired. 

So sick of blue chip recruits making putrid coaches look average...