Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

I was at the game and really thought Sam should be pulled.  It was pretty ugly ... the natives were pissed.   

Card gets the ball out quickly .... would have been interesting to see.  

The only reason Sam came through at the end is because ou called off the dogs and wanted to bleed clock.  

2 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

I was at the game and really thought Sam should be pulled.  It was pretty ugly ... the natives were pissed.   

The only reason Sam came through at the end is because ou called off the dogs and wanted to bleed clock.  

Why do you think the 3rd stringer would be next up?

On 9/9/2020 at 12:46 AM, Valmy77 said:

We have the same problem here in Nebraska.  Our backup quarterbacks are ALWAYS way better than our starter.  Every year.  Just ask any fan after a loss.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I may be an insufferable prick, but that’s not particularly relevant to whether Sam is an effective leader.

The evidence is that he is not.

We are all a product of our environment. And Sam’s upbringing probably makes it harder for him to lead than it was for Vince. But at the same time, Sam hasn’t overcome that difficulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be the dumbest shit I have ever read on this site, and there is plenty of dumb shit on here. 

Sam doesn’t coach this fucking team of losers, but he damn sure seems to be one of the few working his ass off to win.  He shows leadership on the field exponentially greater than anyone else.  

Is Jake Smith not playing because he thinks Sam is a spoiled rich kid?  Or is it more likely that like too many of our players, he thinks he is the ultimate playmaker and should always be on the field so he can drop more passes that hit him in the hands?  Coach, my hammy is tight, think I’m gonna sit this one out.  

There is a metric ton of shit wrong with this team.  Sam Ellingher isn’t one of them.  

Edited by jinx
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

the very idea that Sam got left solo on the field for the Eyes because he’s some kind of selfish 40 ppg on 30 shots style BB gunner instead of: he’s surrounded by selfish spite at the fact that he actually cares and asserts himself as a leader and doesn’t suck vis a vis all these guys who are terrible, miserably coached, and have latched onto wokeness as some kind of cover-all explanation for their incompetence is... well, it is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I was at the game (35th in a row for me) and while Sam induced multiple WTF’s and hat throwings by me (taking advantage of social spacing in the stands).....

.....that said, the last thing on anyone’s sane mind was “hey, maybe put in the true freshman and see what happens”

1 minute ago, anacardo said:

the very idea that Sam got left solo on the field for the Eyes because he’s some kind of selfish 40 ppg on 30 shots style BB gunner instead of: he’s surrounded by selfish spite at the fact that he actually cares and asserts himself as a leader and doesn’t suck vis a vis all these guys who are terrible, miserably coached, and have latched onto wokeness as some kind of cover-all explanation for their incompetence is... well, it is what it is.

Meh...starting to think we’re just conflating two separate issues because the team has been losing.

• Like 1

He does seem to have had it emphatically drilled into him that he shouldn’t take off anymore unless it’s a desperate situation.  Would explain those poor handoff choices which are real unless they’re not option plays at all and just have fake option action.  It’s retarded of course.  Just another example of our staff’s curiously inverted feel for risk-reward decisions.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:34 PM, closetohumping said:

say what?  Fuck Herman as he's the main person in charge of this shit show, but if herm could've traded qbs with Riley every year he'd likely be undefeated vvs ou

Are you fucking kidding me?  Would he agree to only play bowl games where he had 4 weeks to prepare?

4 minutes ago, anacardo said:

He does seem to have had it emphatically drilled into him that he shouldn’t take off anymore unless it’s a desperate situation.  Would explain those poor handoff choices which are real unless they’re not option plays at all and just have fake option action.  It’s retarded of course.  Just another example of our staff’s curiously inverted feel for risk-reward decisions.

That’s exactly what it looks like and we’re not fooling anyone. You can see it in the 2018 and 2019 team highlights on YouTube. The regression is evident. All pffensive struggles seems to rest on a single point of failure.

Edited by USNALonghorn

Per Scipio’s write up:

Ehlinger threw (53 attempts) or ran (23 carries) on 76 of the 87 plays Texas ran. That's 87.3% of the game in his hands

On those 23 carries he went for over 100 yards rushing with 4 TDS, but sure let’s criticize our best (only?) RBs throwing accuracy and not the shit game plan that led to Sam playing hero ball.  

11 RB carries 29 yards.  Probably because Richey Rich is hated by his teammates.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, jinx said:

Per Scipio’s write up:

Ehlinger threw (53 attempts) or ran (23 carries) on 76 of the 87 plays Texas ran. That's 87.3% of the game in his hands

On those 23 carries he went for over 100 yards rushing with 4 TDS, but sure let’s criticize our best (only?) RBs throwing accuracy and not the shit game plan that led to Sam playing hero ball.  

11 RB carries 29 yards.  Probably because Richey Rich is hated by his teammates.  

Not sure you watched the game??  He held the ball for 5 seconds almost every time in the first 3.5 quarters and no not everyone was covered always....   He also threw his crappy deep ball on third and one with two receivers  open for 10-15 yard gains.  Does he shoulder all the responsibility no but let’s put the part that was on him on him.

Edited by Hook1997

17 minutes ago, jinx said:

Per Scipio’s write up:

Herb Hand is a complete failure.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, anacardo said:

He's at his best when he's utilizing his legs and running downhill when there's daylight or going off designed runs. Early in his career the team fed off of his energy and watching him run over guys, and that would help the RBs out and wear out opposing defenses. Now the staff looks like they're trying to turn him into Tom Brady and make him stay in the pocket, that's not his game. 

Hey did yall know Sr Colt McCoy held the ball too long in the Big 12 championship vs Nebraska? Did yall know he missed some reads? Did yall our defense dominated that day? Or what about him throwing away the 1st half versus Tech in 08.

Did Vince Young play well when we scored 0 against Ou? That was his 3rd year here right? Did yall know he threw 2 picks at OSU? In the Horseshoe. At night. Limas Sweed better than current WR. Dave Thomas yep better than any TE. Jamaal Charles and Ramonce. Both more explosive than anyone we currently have.

As far as I know you nimrods have no clue what Sam is being asked to do. Dropped passes were the huge issue along with penalties that did us in vs TCU. Oh and a fumble. Ou he played a lot worse, but he gave us chances. Sorry playcalling and inopportune penalties were again very costly.

Some of you are projecting an reasonable standard. And with 11 rushing attempts, there's not much opportunity to misread anything. Lack of a consistent running game. Lack of consistent pass pro. Inconsistency at WR. If you have all those things, you will likely have some inconsistencies at QB.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Not sure you watched the game??  He held the ball for 5 seconds almost every time in the first 3.5 quarters and no not everyone was covered always....   He also threw his crappy deep ball on third and one with two receivers  open for 10-15 yard gains.  Does he shoulder all the responsibility no but let’s put the part that was on him on him.

I watched the game.  It wasn’t Sams greatest.  If you think that coaching and culture didn’t lead to the shit show we have watched the last three weeks and want to blame it all on Sam, go right ahead.  

His OL sucks, so there is no running game to lean on and he is on skates as soon as the ball is hiked.  OU managed to run all over us with their RBs when their QB started off like shit.  His WRs drop passes constantly.  He has no Duvernay or LJH to bail him out with a big catch and effort.  His TEs are pretty much useless.  I’m not really sure what you expect. 

This team fucking sucks.  It is poorly coached all the way around.  Yet somehow Sam still got us to overtime, only to have his pussy head coach forgo 2 opportunities to end it with a 2pt conversion which Sam is usually good at.  

But sure, fuck Sam. 

• Like 1

A little weird that Sam is taking fire given he's pretty much asked to be Colt McCoy out there in 2009 with no running game, receivers that don't get open, an OL that barely blocks, and a coaching staff that doesn't put him in any position to be successful. Sam is the least of our problems and the difference between a loss in 4OT and getting blown out by 14+. Could Sam improve, sure? I think he's hit his ceiling and he certainly doesn't have the weapons to be better. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

I watched the game.  It wasn’t Sams greatest.  If you think that coaching and culture didn’t lead to the shit show we have watched the last three weeks and want to blame it all on Sam, go right ahead.  

His OL sucks, so there is no running game to lean on and he is on skates as soon as the ball is hiked.  OU managed to run all over us with their RBs when their QB started off like shit.  His WRs drop passes constantly.  He has no Duvernay or LJH to bail him out with a big catch and effort.  His TEs are pretty much useless.  I’m not really sure what you expect. 

This team fucking sucks.  It is poorly coached all the way around.  Yet somehow Sam still got us to overtime, only to have his pussy head coach forgo 2 opportunities to end it with a 2pt conversion which Sam is usually good at.  

But sure, fuck Sam. 

Not blaming him totally but come on he has some blame he holds the ball too long and is inaccurate, that’s obvious and has been but some choose to turn a blind eye cause he has grit and loves the team.

It’s okay to acknowledge Sam’s limitations as a player while at the same time understanding that his coaches are shit and don’t put this team in a position to succeed. Unfortunately it appears we won’t know if Sam would do better with someone else as HC. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This isn't about the flaws or mistakes. I get that some posters feel like Sam has been wrongly elevated to a God by other posters or in some bubble with Colt and Vince. Obviously, there are a lot of Westlake/Lake Travis folks that post here. I have to admit when I joined shaggy back in the day, I was confounded by the absolute somewhat unfounded love for David Ash. He was a great football player. Had he not had the concussions maybe he would have been like so many who believed he would be all Pro. He seems to be doing great in his other life. This site seemed to me, at the time to be founded on the FUMB stuff. FYGD. Blaming them for the fact that Ash wasn't the one. (JMO--neg away). Sam has no quit in him. He may not be the QB you would have wanted but he has earned the respect of our rivals. they see it. Their fans see it. (waiting for the obligatory negs)

• Like 1

Sam has to take what is given to him by the defense.  he's not consistently accurate enough to go deep. and we dont really have time to go deep.  I get you have a take a shot or 3. He doesn't place the ball well on the throws where the ball needs to be in  a specific spot for the receiver to make yards(WR screens, RB screens, drags). 

he needs to run more early.  I know we want to protect him but if Thompson isn't ready then that is on Herman.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You have no business commenting on the football board. Your material is pulled from your feeble, cross-country running ass. Totally manufactured. Perhaps your profession and plaudits from your cabal of message board nerd-friends has emboldened you to think you know what you’re talking about. But you’re just making shit up. That you’re intertwining your sociopolitical views with the leader of the team, and football in general, is disgusting. Everything about you disgusts me. I’m ashamed Texas has graduates like you. You’re everything wrong with Texas sports. You give Texas a bad name. God help us if you have any kind of influence or power. But I seriously doubt that. Pencil-dicked cross-country passive aggressive douchers typically don’t have much of a platform other than message board verbal diarrhea. 

I don't care what you just said, but lots of big words. Man, You should write historical non-fiction stuff. Not poking fun. the cadence of your vocabulary is fascinating.

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

I think Sam is tough as nails and I truly appreciate that he actually respects the university and its tradition, unlike his despicable teammates.  but “longhorn nation, we’re baaaaaaaack” will always bother me.  it has made it hard for me to like the kid. 

I’m not saying I agree with what he did, but it’s easy to pick on him for making that spur of the moment statement in hindsight. To keep things in perspective, he was an excited 19 year old who had just finished beating the shit out of No. 5 “We ShOuLd HaVe BeEn iN tHe PlAyOfF” Georgia.

In his eyes, the program was on a very promising trajectory and most fans felt the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You have no business commenting on the football board. Your material is pulled from your feeble, cross-country running ass. Totally manufactured. Perhaps your profession and plaudits from your cabal of message board nerd-friends has emboldened you to think you know what you’re talking about. But you’re just making shit up. That you’re intertwining your sociopolitical views with the leader of the team, and football in general, is disgusting. Everything about you disgusts me. I’m ashamed Texas has graduates like you. You’re everything wrong with Texas sports. You give Texas a bad name. God help us if you have any kind of influence or power. But I seriously doubt that. Pencil-dicked cross-country passive aggressive douchers typically don’t have much of a platform other than message board verbal diarrhea. 

this was quite the post.  quite the post, indeed. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

insulting_guy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

He also threw his crappy deep ball on third and one with two receivers  open for 10-15 yard gains.  Does he shoulder all the responsibility no but let’s put the part that was on him on him.

That had me livid. Empty back field; I was sure we'd see a QB draw and a 1st down. The fuck.

9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Bolded is 100% true. We started moving the ball yesterday because he finally used his legs. We also had two drives end in the red zone because of awful interceptions. All of that can be true and he can still be our best QB since Colt. 

A big part of this is that two years ago, Sam actually had a competent O line.  It has been regressing since.

Sam with protection is a different beast than Sam without.  Without it, he's forced to ad-lib and he may actually be at his strongest there.  But he's gotten whipsawed and faked-out by the OL.

Late to the game on this as I just saw the video last night....Ehlinger interview post-game on Saturday.  When asked  "What is your message for Longhorn Nation?"  10 seconds of no response.  A blank stare.   Nothing.   Just awful and gut-wrenching from a guy who carried the team on his back for 4 - 5 hours on Saturday.  I don't think Ehlinger is wired to be throwing in the towel but that had the look of someone who was ready to do so.

I don't see this interview posted anywhere but could be missing it. 

9 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s 3 straight games where he was bad for most of it but some people don’t want to acknowledge everything that puts us in these big holes. 

Kind of a silver-lining that he isn't saving Tom's job, really. Some things are just meant to be. 

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Hey did yall know Sr Colt McCoy held the ball too long in the Big 12 championship vs Nebraska? Did yall know he missed some reads? Did yall our defense dominated that day? Or what about him throwing away the 1st half versus Tech in 08.

Did Vince Young play well when we scored 0 against Ou? That was his 3rd year here right? Did yall know he threw 2 picks at OSU? In the Horseshoe. At night. Limas Sweed better than current WR. Dave Thomas yep better than any TE. Jamaal Charles and Ramonce. Both more explosive than anyone we currently have.

As far as I know you nimrods have no clue what Sam is being asked to do. Dropped passes were the huge issue along with penalties that did us in vs TCU. Oh and a fumble. Ou he played a lot worse, but he gave us chances. Sorry playcalling and inopportune penalties were again very costly.

Some of you are projecting an reasonable standard. And with 11 rushing attempts, there's not much opportunity to misread anything. Lack of a consistent running game. Lack of consistent pass pro. Inconsistency at WR. If you have all those things, you will likely have some inconsistencies at QB.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

man, thank god you registered and started posting here, otherwise where else would we get our fix multi paragraph posts which all say the exact same thing over and over- namely that Sam Ehlinger is perfect has never done anything wrong as a QB ever. don't know what we'd do without your hard headed, juvenile, delusional rants in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Late to the game on this as I just saw the video last night....Ehlinger interview post-game on Saturday.  When asked  "What is your message for Longhorn Nation?"  10 seconds of no response.  A blank stare.   Nothing.   Just awful and gut-wrenching from a guy who carried the team on his back for 4 - 5 hours on Saturday.  I don't think Ehlinger is wired to be throwing in the towel but that had the look of someone who was ready to do so.

I don't see this interview posted anywhere but could be missing it. 

I saw that.  You could read from 50 miles away his body language:  "I am in the middle of the biggest shitshow since the Barnum and Bailey elephant pen.  If I could walk away from this thing right now, I absolutely would.  If I could say what I really feel..."  The 10 second silence blew me away.  He usually puts some sort of verbage out there no matter what.  I thought he was going to cry, honest to god.  The helplessness and frustration in those 10 seconds was something only a moron wouldn't instantly recognize and shake his head at.

It's more than obvious that there is a sizable schism among players on the team, and to some degree between Sam and some of them as one of these.  

Again, you don’t understand how our offense works. Half the time our rbs were confused why they got the ball. I’ll tell you why, it didn’t make any sense.
He doesn’t have the team, he has the coaches and a significant portion of the fan base on story alone, but he’s an ok qb.

I understand how our offense doesn’t work. Again the team’s job is to follow the fucking coaches and captains. Unless you were born rich, you don’t get the luxury of deciding you have to like people in order to work with them.

if i hear another mfer try to say that his O line doesn't give him any time to throw i'm going to call you a dumb motherfucker to your face, because that's what you are. jesus christ, i mean the delusion about this kid is already off the charts (people are *literally* calling him blameless over and over and over), but to say that his O line doesn't give him time? yeah there's only two possibilities here: you either do not watch our games, or you have your head so far up Sam's ass that you're incapable of being even 1% objective. Sam has WAY more than enough time to throw on a very regular basis, and this is not for debate. jesus.

same goes for all of the shit talk about how his WRs drop everything, because not only is that total bullshit, but Sam factually misses more wide open WRs every game than any four year starter i've ever seen. he literally misses 2-3x more wide open WRs than we have WRs who drop good passes throughout the course of a game (not to mention some of the catches they make that are behind them or at their feet). in fact, i can recall the announcers in each of our last theee games talking about how accuracy and consistency are problems for Sam Ehlinger, this after he's overthrown yet another wide open WR who was ready to score had he gotten a pass anywhere near his giant frame. give me a break. 

every post that claims that our O line gives Sam no time to throw and/or claims that our WRs are screwing Sam but not vice versa is so patently false, and stupid, and fanboyish that it's author should be required to take a timeout from posting, go back and watch the last three games, and then come back to this board with his head fully removed from Sam Ehlingers ass. god y'all are fucking embarrassing. University of Sam Ehlinger bullshit. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

Touché....but the fact that there are multiple defenders in our backfield a nanosecond after “hike” is a discussion for another thread

Wrong again, Sam cannot be the only guy taking hits out there. If he has to hand off and let the RB get hit from time to time that is better than him. How did their uniforms look in comparison at the end of the game?

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

I saw that.  You could read from 50 miles away his body language:  "I am in the middle of the biggest shitshow since the Barnum and Bailey elephant pen.  If I could walk away from this thing right now, I absolutely would.  If I could say what I really feel..."  The 10 second silence blew me away.  He usually puts some sort of verbage out there no matter what.  I thought he was going to cry, honest to god.  The helplessness and frustration in those 10 seconds was something only a moron wouldn't instantly recognize and shake his head at.

It's more than obvious that there is a sizable schism among players on the team, and to some degree between Sam and some of them as one of these.  

Yep, all of this.   I thought he was going to break down as well.   It was a really hard thing to watch as the guy looks like he is just about cooked. 

Wish I could find this clip but not seeing it. 

if i hear another mfer try to say that his O line doesn't give him any time to throw i'm going to call you a dumb motherfucker to your face, because that's what you are. jesus christ, i mean the delusion about this kid is already off the charts (people are *literally* calling him blameless over and over and over), but to say that his O line doesn't give him time? yeah there's only two possibilities here: you either do not watch our games, or you have your head so far up Sam's ass that you're incapable of being even 1% objective. Sam has WAY more than enough time to throw on a very regular basis, and this is not for debate. jesus.
same goes for all of the shit talk about how his WRs drop everything, because not only is that total bullshit, but Sam factually misses more wide open WRs every game than any four year starter i've ever seen. he literally misses 2-3x more wide open WRs than we have WRs who drop good passes throughout the course of a game (not to mention some of the catches they make that are behind them or at their feet). in fact, i can recall the announcers in each of our last theee games talking about how accuracy and consistency are problems for Sam Ehlinger, this after he's overthrown yet another wide open WR who was ready to score had he gotten a pass anywhere near his giant frame. give me a break. 
every post that claims that our O line gives Sam no time to throw and/or claims that our WRs are screwing Sam but not vice versa is so patently false, and stupid, and fanboyish that it's author should be required to take a timeout from posting, go back and watch the last three games, and then come back to this board with his head fully removed from Sam Ehlingers ass. god y'all are fucking embarrassing. University of Sam Ehlinger bullshit. 

O line doesn’t give him time to throw. Sure when its 9 guys blocking and 1 downfield they can handle the 3 man rush , Mr. Hand.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

You're literally, factually a dumb mother fucker.

The OL is a wreck. The running game is a wreck. Sam had to play hero ball like usual because Herman is a terrible coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lulz