Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t appreciate him as a backup. He was incompetent for large stretches today. The faster he transfers and the staff doesn’t have him at our disposal, the better. We need someone capable of running Herman’s O and he is most certainly not it. He shouldn’t be the backup. He nearly cost us the game today. 

Yep. He bogged this offense down the entire 2nd half. He did make some clutch 3rd down passes but they were short slants. We are in big trouble if Shane has to play the final stretch. Like you said, we need a backup who can come in and run the normal offense Sam runs. The QB run and the threat of him running is a big part of what makes us click. And Shane can't do that at all. It's not his game. And he doesn't utilize the size of our WRs consistent enough as Sam does. Especially down the field.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. He bogged this offense down the entire 2nd half. He did make some clutch 3rd down passes but they were short slants. We are in big trouble if Shane has to play the final stretch. Like you said, we need a backup who can come in and run the normal offense Sam runs. The QB run and the threat of him running is a big part of what makes us click. And Shane can't do that at all. It's not his game. And he doesn't utilize the size of our WRs consistent enough as Sam does. Especially down the field.

The entire offense seemed slower with Shane. Felt like we were playing in slow motion. I have no idea why, it just looks like every play develops slower with Shane at QB.

• Like 1

Just now, BigXII said:

The entire offense seemed slower with Shane. Felt like we were playing in slow motion. I have no idea why, it just looks like every play develops slower with Shane at QB.

Absolutely. Aside from the final stretch of the 1st half, we just looked way off. We were not as crisp. Bogged down in the redzone too many times. He's just not that consistent and that was the reason we moved on from.

Get well soon Sam. We are going to need you.

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t appreciate him as a backup. He was incompetent for large stretches today. The faster he transfers and the staff doesn’t have him at our disposal, the better. We need someone capable of running Herman’s O and he is most certainly not it. He shouldn’t be the backup. He nearly cost us the game today. 

What a straight up retarded take. This team doesn’t need fewer QB’s on the roster. If Rising or Thompson were better right now they would’ve played today. Sorry your boyfriend hurt his shoulder but Shane played well enough for the W and that’s all that matters for a backup QB. I doubt a backup QB takes another snap this season so it doesn’t matter anyway. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What a straight up retarded take. This team doesn’t need fewer QB’s on the roster. If Rising or Thompson were better right now they would’ve played today. Sorry your boyfriend hurt his shoulder but Shane played well enough for the W and that’s all that matters for a backup QB. I doubt a backup QB takes another snap this season so it doesn’t matter anyway. 

So you know exactly the severity of Sam's injury. Care to share?

No shit we looked slow. We had developed an identity for the first time in forever, and it runs through Sam. Shane was rusty, sure, but he is so limited in this scheme. If Sam is hurt for an extended period of time, we absolutely have to see what Rising can do. At least we have depth and options. 

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

Maybe it's just a pinched nerve, we will know at halftime.

Yeah, there is no fucking way if his shoulder was separated it wouldn't be in a brace and immobilized.

He was able to move it around at the end of the game, where they showed him squatting and moving both hands.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Team needs Shane off the roster with the depth we have and Johnson coming in, precisely so that Herman cannot rely on him. I suspect Herman thought he could afford to evaluate Shane today and still win, and it almost bit us in the ass. He trusts Shane over two true freshmen; it would be unfathomable that one of them is not better than Shane. Shane is terrible. He’s a bus driver on a team that must have a playmaker at QB. 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So you know exactly the severity of Sam's injury. Care to share?

It was a pinched nerve, evidenced by the dead arm look and lack of a sling. It was wrapped under his hoodie but he was free to move his arm around and they wouldn’t allow that with a serious shoulder injury. If there was a game on Wednesday he’d be fine for it. There’s not another game for 2 weeks so he’ll be more than fine. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Team needs Shane off the roster with the depth we have and Johnson coming in, precisely so that Herman cannot rely on him. I suspect Herman thought he could afford to evaluate Shane today and still win, and it almost bit ya in the ass. He trusts Shane over two true freshmen; it would be unfathomable that one of them is not better than Shane. Shane is terrible. He’s a bus driver on a team that must have a playmaker at QB. 

Today also showed just how much the OL can still hinder the offense. It's much better than last year, but still average to below average.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, there is no fucking way if his shoulder was separated it wouldn't be in a brace and immobilized.

That's what I'm thinking. Not sure why they would have him out there without a brace just cruising around if it were something more serious.

But if Sam is out, we have two weeks to get the backup QB ready, and our offense needs the one who can mimic Sam the best -- that means throwing AND running.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Today also showed just how much the OL can still hinder the offense. It's much better than last year, but still average to below average.

Agreed to some degree, but when your entire game plan and offensive identity is shot on the first series, it's hard to fault the offense for sputtering. Baylor may have a shitty D line and linebackers, but they did get scholarships and they knew that the playbook was essentially cut in half. Shane is not a threat to run (Herman's centerpiece of all of his successful offenses to date), so they could key on other things.

The OL is improved and wasn’t worse today than any other day. Today is a perfect example of what I said when ineptitude is more on the QB than the OL, and was ridiculed by retards who never played the game. When you have Shane, you get a shitload more pressure, because the guy can’t run, and has no presence. With Sam, our line looks magically better. Sure, it’s improved, but it has improved merely by Sam’s play. It’s not a difficult concept, yet so many people default to blaming the OL for Shane’s ineptitude. Nope; Shane is just a bad QB. Not a serviceable QB, not a decent backup - a bad QB. Who, by the way, is totally incapable of running this particular offense that works. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It was a pinched nerve, evidenced by the dead arm look and lack of a sling. It was wrapped under his hoodie but he was free to move his arm around and they wouldn’t allow that with a serious shoulder injury. If there was a game on Wednesday he’d be fine for it. There’s not another game for 2 weeks so he’ll be more than fine. 

Paging Dr. Faggot!

I know he was thrown into a game he wasn’t expecting to be in but has Shane gotten worse over his career? He used to have decent touch and an ok deep ball, today he had one good throw that I can remember (TD to CJ). Even his screen throws were behind the receiver and he overthrew duvernay by 5 feet on a 10 yard throw.

He just isn’t good at a single facet imo. Doesn’t read coverage well, won’t or can’t throw over the middle, self sacks, seems to be a poor leader. I can’t really fathom why people ever really preferred him over Sam at any point. Just my two cebts

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

The OL is improved and wasn’t worse today than any other day. Today is a perfect example of what I said when ineptitude is more on the QB than the OL, and was ridiculed by retards who never played the game. When you have Shane, you get a shitload more pressure, because the guy can’t run, and has no presence. With Sam, our line looks magically better. Sure, it’s improved, but it has improved merely by Sam’s play. It’s not a difficult concept, yet so many people default to blaming the OL for Shane’s ineptitude. Nope; Shane is just a bad QB. Not a serviceable QB, not a decent backup - a bad QB. Who, by the way, is totally incapable of running this particular offense that works. 

I agree, Shane makes the rest of this offense worse, especially the OL. Even Saban sees the benefit of having a true dual threat at QB now.

1 minute ago, gurt said:

I know he was thrown into a game he wasn’t expecting to be in but has Shane gotten worse over his career? He used to have decent touch and an ok deep ball, today he had one good throw that I can remember (TD to CJ). Even his screen throws were behind the receiver and he overthrew duvernay by 5 feet on a 10 yard throw.

He just isn’t good at a single facet imo. Doesn’t read coverage well, won’t or can’t throw over the middle, self sacks, seems to be a poor leader. I can’t really fathom why people ever really preferred him over Sam at any point. Just my two cebts

Live bullets frighten him.

3 minutes ago, gurt said:

He hasnt had a meaningful snap in over a year. Even Joe Montana couldnt just come out of the stands and have a feel for what these receivers will do. He sucked because Herman decided we were gonna go without a true backup this year. Although Ehlinger is the better QB at this point, Shane wouldnt be this much worse than him with some meaningful playing time. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Reading Rex’s comments you’d think Texas lost 49-0 and Shane went 0-20 passing with 8 INTs. Hilariously unreal amount of hate.

I don’t hate any player for Texas. I just call it like I see it and it should be obvious to any half-wit. With Shane, we would lose multiple games the remainder of the season, and could go 0-5 (he has lost to KU before).  So yeah, I’ll be pretty vocal with his retard apologists. 

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

He hasnt had a meaningful snap in over a year. Even Joe Montana couldnt just come out of the stands and have a feel for what these receivers will do. He sucked because Herman decided we were gonna go without a true backup this year. Although Ehlinger is the better QB at this point, Shane wouldnt be this much worse than him with some meaningful playing time. 

Lunacy. No amount of snaps are going to create a situation where Buechele coming in isn’t going to be a shitshow. Maybe against Kansas. Maybe. 

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yes, but 75% of the posters bitching over the last two pages would have come in and completed 90% of their passes with zero interceptions.  Shane just sucks

Beuchele was sacked once today and it was no self sack it was a goddamn jail break. 

He had one play were he stepped up in the pocket when pressured and converted a 3rd down on a completion to beck.

He looked rusty to me and definitely didn't play well overall.  There were a couple of throws that seemed to be in the area where the intended receiver never looked for the ball - not sure who was at fault.

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Reading Rex’s comments you’d think Texas lost 49-0 and Shane went 0-20 passing with 8 INTs. Hilariously unreal amount of hate.

How? He is being very reasonable in his criticism. He's not going overboard. You are the one who seems to be taking it personal.

This offense is not the same at all with Shane as the QB. We do not have the same rhythm. 

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

Beuchele was sacked once today and it was no self sack it was a goddamn jail break. 

He had one play were he stepped up in the pocket when pressured and converted a 3rd down on a completion to beck.

He looked rusty to me and definitely didn't play well overall.  There were a couple of throws that seemed to be in the area where the intended receiver never looked for the ball - not sure who was at fault.

Shane was terrible today. Awful. 

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Of course he was rusty. This was game 7 of this season. He never saw the field at all til today. If Herman was really trying to save him a transfer year, he should have given someone else some backup snaps. You cant just have no prepared backup QB. Herman is Mack 2.0.  He can only get 1 guy ready to go. Meanwhile Urban could put 3 different guys behind center and win an MNC with him. 

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Shane was terrible today. Awful. 

Baylor dropped 2-3 INTs. There was no consistency with his ball placement, some would be behind the WRs, other times he would over throw them by 5 yards. He would check down to RBs too early, and would stare down his primary reads. It was abysmal, luckily he only turned it over 1, which accounted for the only points scored in the 2nd half.

• Like 1

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Of course he was rusty. This was game 7 of this season. He never saw the field at all til today. If Herman was really trying to save him a transfer year, he should have given someone else some backup snaps. You cant just have no prepared backup QB. Herman is Mack 2.0.  He can only get 1 guy ready to go. Meanwhile Urban could put 3 different guys behind center and win an MNC with him. 

Sam is developing and we have had no opportunity to play Shane, even against Tulsa. And as far as being rusty, I get that for one series, but he was bad the whole game outside of about 4-5 minutes. How many games has he started?  You cannot excuse his performance today with rust. 

Baylor dropped 2-3 INTs. There was no consistency with his ball placement, some would be behind the WRs, other times he would over throw them by 5 yards. He would check down to RBs too early, and would stare down his primary reads. It was abysmal, luckily he only turned it over 1, which accounted for the only points scored in the 2nd half.

Yes. LJ in particular caught two balls that were so poorly placed that he was stopped for no gain. That beast needs the ball in space. Shane couldn’t even do that right. His 58% completion rate was a sham. 

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

Sam is developing and we have had no opportunity to play Shane, even against Tulsa. And as far as being rusty, I get that for one series, but he was bad the whole game outside of about 4-5 minutes. How many games has he started?  You cannot excuse his performance today with rust. 

Sure you can excuse it. It was 1 game. He was better every game as a freshman. Thats rust.  You realize Sam looked like dogshit the entire MD game this year, right?  You know that players are capable of getting better from meaningful playing time?

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

He also had the 1st RB to hit 100 yards in the last 18 games. The last RB to go over 100 was Warren against San Jose State.

• Like 1

I will complement him on his throws on the very last drive, all of which but one were very easy to complete. That and the CJ TD passes were his only good plays of the game. Overall he was a huge detriment to this team. He does not need to see the field any more. He’s the QB equivalent of Kyle Porter.