Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

35 minutes ago, Llogg said:

This is the best post you have ever made and it is not close.

Then you’re not paying attention. In fact your comment has been said three times in this thread alone. 

2 hours ago, scottsins said:

Yep.  Receivers bailed him out a LOT today. Of course, I’m hyper-aware of this because I’ve seen the same shit from Sam frequently this season, but I’m apparently in the minority when discussing Sam’s accuracy.  To me, they are both AVERAGE QB’’s.  However Sam is a fucking badass, GREAT football player, and we have to have him to win any games of significance.  Thanks god it appears that we won’t be without him for the next game.  My heart and liver can’t take much more of what we saw today.

I’m trying to determine the level of trolling sarcasm here, but this post is a perfect example of why I’m so vocally anti Shane. There is a very large contingent of our fans that actually believe these two QBs are close in ability, and that Sam is an average QB. The amount of retard contrarians we have here is ridiculous. 

the importance of LJH and CJ to the QB cannot be overstated given their monster YAC which makes the QB look 3x as good. Sam's greatest gift is his lack of TOs (after the MD game), period.  UT's dramatic decline in penalties is also a big factor. 

I'd say Sam is a B, maybe B+. Shane is C-. 

It's going to be very interesting in 2019 when the 2 wrs are not here, in the evaluation of the QBs. 

6 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

No it isn't. You're so vocally "anti-Shane"  because you are an asshole.

Nobody should be "vocally anti"  any of our players. 

Okay Katy. I am. What are you going to do about it?

3 hours ago, scottsins said:

This post nails it, IMO.  I don’t think that Shane necessarily sucks or is not better than what showed today.  To me, he is just a terrible fit for this offensive system.  Our insistence on throwing on 2nd and long for a good part of the game was killing us.  We scored a TD on the first drive where we ran on the first two downs and then threw on the next first.  This offense needs to heavily rely on Ingram, IMO.  I actually feel the same even when Sam is out there.  Ingram is just special.

Go even further, need to screen to open up run and stop the zone read bs and go with pitchout or option. Ingram in space is money, same with LJH. Even Watson better on the move. The screen to Jamison should be a bread and butter play not a “special” play.

Edited by Alien Octopus

I don't think Shane is that good at making the 5-10 yard throws in tight-ish windows that Sam does pretty well,  which is a problem in this offense. He used to be able to drop deep balls on a dime and I doubt he has permanently lost that ability. Frankly I think the strategy yesterday was pretty much right on for making the best of his skillset and the pieces we have around him - hand it off a lot to sustain drives and force them to defend the run, then look for big home-run shots downfield every so often and hope that one out of every X attempts nets us a big play or a score.

Although I think we could probably run him more too (I know we did it some, but still). After all, Tom Herman's most celebrated accomplishment was a season spent murdering QBs and just plugging another one in to do the same thing whenever one went down. I guess maybe we did see LJH did get a couple of auditions for that Greg Ward/Braxton Miller WR/QB role.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m genuinely curious... what does being so vocally “anti-Shane” accomplish for you? What value does it bring to your life? 

I think it's mainly a reality check towards people saying Shane should get reps at QB because Sam isn't getting it done.

Anyway. Can you guys imagine this team when the O line depth under Hand and Yancy is there, the RBs are there, the WRs are there. The defense is still great under Orlando. If we can keep all the coaching pieces together this team is going to get back where it should be. I can't fucking wait for the next few years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I think it's mainly a reality check towards people saying Shane should get reps at QB because Sam isn't getting it done.

The most vocal of those ate crow and shut their pie holes after Sam torched OU. Glad we’ve got Shane but I’ll be glad for him to not play again this year, take his RS and decide if he wants to go somewhere where he can start for his last 2 years.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

The most vocal of those ate crow and shut their pie holes after Sam torched OU. Glad we’ve got Shane but I’ll be glad for him to not play again this year, take his RS and decide if he wants to go somewhere where he can start for his last 2 years.  

Yeah. I think it may be a blessing that Shane got some meaningful reps and see what he has to work on. That way if Sam "breaks a shoelace" we can still count on Shane to be ready to go.

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Reading this thread, one would think Sam in the offense is VY part 2, while ignoring Tulsa, K-state, Maryland.

No one is saying he's VY.  But we've watched our putrid offense the last 5 years.  The only reason we're even remotely functional of offense is because of him.  Sam atleast gives us a running threat and is a punishing runner.  With Shane, you will see ISU, WV drop 8 and dare us to run like they did 2 years ago.  If our o-line can't run block you'll see the same shit we saw 2 years ago.  He's not VY but he's also better than fucking Case, Ash, Swoopes, Heard, Shane.

• Like 1

Not exactly breaking news but the news of him having minimal damage is good. No, he's not VY 2.0 but there's a noticeable drop off in what the offense can do if he's not out there. Shane is serviceable but he's going to struggle when pressure comes on. Shane doesn't appear to have the pocket presence that Sam has. 

• Like 2

I would prefer Sam play but I think a lot of what we saw on Saturday was Shane being rusty. I really hope that Sam comes back and we don't need Shane any more but I think that with the right plan we can still win with Shane. The next question is if Sam isn't leaving early for the NFL do we see some of the Freshmen pass him up in the future?

1 minute ago, Rhinotx said:

I would prefer Sam play but I think a lot of what we saw on Saturday was Shane being rusty. I really hope that Sam comes back and we don't need Shane any more but I think that with the right plan we can still win with Shane. The next question is if Sam isn't leaving early for the NFL do we see some of the Freshmen pass him up in the future?

What the fuck am I reading here? 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Sam should only play if he is absolutely 100 percent recovered, with no added risk of re-injury. You don't rush an injury to your QB's throwing shoulder. We have enough to win with Shane back there.Sam is definitely not leaving early for the NFL. Obvious deficiencies as an NFL prospect aside, he has been working to be QB1 at Texas his whole life. He isn't getting first round money and his family isn't hurting, he will be here in 2020. If he continues to take care of the ball and run effectively he won't get passed up - if he does that we are probably winning the majority of our games.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

That's the fucking point. Since he will not be leaving early does he hold on to the job or get passed up at some point. 

Oh. Your point was so clearly articulated that it is surprising so many missed it

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What?

Sometimes refereed to as "dual-threat", black or African American quarterbacks have had enormous success in the NCAA. 

Look up - Tommie Frazier, Michael Vick, Terrelle Pryor, Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, Pat White, Deshaun Watson, Vince Young

:^)

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’m genuinely curious... what does being so vocally “anti-Shane” accomplish for you? What value does it bring to your life? 

This same discussion wa had 2 weeks ago about Sam.

“He sucks, he’ll never be any good.”

”Fine, Sam sucks.  So who do you want to start?”

”well Sam of course”

What’s the fucking point.  Play the hand you were dealt the best you can  

Recruit better but we ain’t getting a better  QB mid season 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Reading this thread, one would think Sam in the offense is VY part 2, while ignoring Tulsa, K-state, Maryland.

Wut?  Even after we won 4 in a row, all without an INT, and an 80% completion rate, some people were still complaining that the WRs had to go to the ground and make tough catches due to how apparently terrible Sam was.  I haven't seen a single person who's compared him to VY.  Where do you people come up with this shit?

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Yeah, the offense yesterday wasn't appreciably worse than in those games.  Especially if you compare the 2nd halves only.

I think taking advantage of Mike Stoops's incompetence is influencing some people a little bit too much.

I always root for Shane much like I rooted for Charlie to succeed, but like Charlie, Shane doesn't have what it takes to succeed at Texas.  The one thing I feel confident about Shane over Sam is the deep route to Duverne that Sam has difficulties with every game.  Other than that Shane is a sack/interception waiting to happen.  

Wells on Ehlinger:

Texas QB Sam Ehlinger had his MRI today.

I’m told a shoulder sprain with minimal damage.

Herman mentioned he’d like to have him throwing by the end of the week. 

The bye comes at an opportune time. There’s no timetable for his return, but 2-3 weeks is possible.

• Like 2

Wut?  Even after we won 4 in a row, all without an INT, and an 80% completion rate, some people were still complaining that the WRs had to go to the ground and make tough catches due to how apparently terrible Sam was.  I haven't seen a single person who's compared him to VY.  Where do you people come up with this shit?

You reading comprehension is as good as your post and as substantive as diarrhea. Try again.