Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Sure you can excuse it. It was 1 game. He was better every game as a freshman. Thats rust.  You realize Sam looked like dogshit the entire MD game this year, right?  You know that players are capable of getting better from meaningful playing time?

No, you can’t excuse it. How much more experience did Shane have than Sam heading into Week 1 versus MD?  How much more rep time with LJ and CJ and DD did he have after 6 more weeks in practice than Sam have from MD game?  It wasn’t Week 1. It’s Week 7. I don’t care that he hasn’t had real live game reps. Get the fuck over it, tenured junior with game experience. 

That “rust”, that deer in the headlights, that listlessness - that’s exactly what we’ve seen from Shane in every one of his efforts outside of Notre Dame ‘16. It’s not going to change and it sure as shit isn’t rust. 

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I will complement him on his throws on the very last drive, all of which but one were very easy to complete. That and the CJ TD passes were his only good plays of the game. Overall he was a huge detriment to this team. He does not need to see the field any more. He’s the QB equivalent of Kyle Porter. 

No love for his spin move to buy time in the pocket and toss to Beck? 

Thank you Shane for being a good teammate and coming to help the team today, but we really should be getting Rising ready if Sam loses any time at all. This offense is not made for him. A red-shirt is not more important than the program. Rising could be worse than Shane, but we need to have someone else ready

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Sure you can excuse it. It was 1 game. He was better every game as a freshman. Thats rust.  You realize Sam looked like dogshit the entire MD game this year, right?  You know that players are capable of getting better from meaningful playing time?

He's a junior with 19 starts on his resume. 

He is what he is.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

No love for his spin move to buy time in the pocket and toss to Beck? 

Video please. His only interactions with Beck I recall are the 1 yard pass play on 3rd and 7 that resulted in Beck getting rocked, and the RPO throw to Beck who wasn’t even looking. 

Shane was rusty but let’s not act like we had a bunch of blowout wins that he should have been playing in late.  Here is to hoping Sam is able to recover over the bye week.  Seems it came at the perfect time.  If he does in fact heal up then I have to say it seems like the season is one of those where we are finally the team catching the breaks.  If he can not recover that quick hopefullly Shane getting the snaps with ones will help get him up to speed.

38 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Of course he was rusty. This was game 7 of this season. He never saw the field at all til today. If Herman was really trying to save him a transfer year, he should have given someone else some backup snaps. You cant just have no prepared backup QB. Herman is Mack 2.0.  He can only get 1 guy ready to go. Meanwhile Urban could put 3 different guys behind center and win an MNC with him. 

PlainBackEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, WBT said:

Beuchele was sacked once today and it was no self sack it was a goddamn jail break. 

He had one play were he stepped up in the pocket when pressured and converted a 3rd down on a completion to beck.

He looked rusty to me and definitely didn't play well overall.  There were a couple of throws that seemed to be in the area where the intended receiver never looked for the ball - not sure who was at fault.

I throw the tennis ball better to my dog.  

A win is a win and you could deff see the Shane to CJ chem.  

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

image.png

I had an AC sprain in HS. Grade one. Played through the game it happened because I didn't report it until after and was able to go the next game,which was off a bye. I played OL though, so it was largely a pain tolerance thing at that point since I wasn't really pushing the ROM of my shoulder. Even though it was a grade one it did linger all year for me. Still aggravated it pretty frequently into my college years doing things that test the ROM of a shoulder - going up for a rebound in basketball, lifting weights, etc. Still tweak it now once in a blue moon now, eight years down the line.

For a QB it would be a much bigger issue. You can't get anything close to full velocity on a throw, and even two weeks seems like a quick turnaround for both arm strength and proper recovery. If I were a betting man I would think Buchele gets the nod for OSU. They will want to make sure Sam's injury heals properly. The bye week gives him a chance though, he will get the best care available.

Edited by gmr548
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Shane was rusty but let’s not act like we had a bunch of blowout wins that he should have been playing in late.  Here is to hoping Sam is able to recover over the bye week.  Seems it came at the perfect time.  If he does in fact heal up then I have to say it seems like the season is one of those where we are finally the team catching the breaks.  If he can not recover that quick hopefullly Shane getting the snaps with ones will help get him up to speed.

They are also trying to do right by the kid to get him a RS, so he can grad transfer with 2 years remaining. If Ehlinger misses significant time, Rising needs to be the guy, not a guy that is likely leaving in 4 months.

• Like 2

I just dealt with one.  MRI came back clear so I took that as a pass to jump back into the gym.  This was about 6 days after injury.  Reinjured it first time back.  I would sit him against OSU if we think we have any chance to beat them without him.  2 1/2 weeks with no ligamenet damage had me about right.   Would hate to injure him again rushing it.  Imagine it only gets worse.  

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Of course he was rusty. This was game 7 of this season. He never saw the field at all til today. If Herman was really trying to save him a transfer year, he should have given someone else some backup snaps. You cant just have no prepared backup QB. Herman is Mack 2.0.  He can only get 1 guy ready to go. Meanwhile Urban could put 3 different guys behind center and win an MNC with him. 

Remind me who was OC the year Urban Meyer put three different guys behind center.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I just dealt with one.  MRI came back clear so I took that as a pass to jump back into the gym.  This was about 6 days after injury.  Reinjured it first time back.  I would sit him against OSU if we think we have any chance to beat them without him.  2 1/2 weeks with no ligamenet damage had me about right.   Would hate to injure him again rushing it.  Imagine it only gets worse.  

He will be fine with a college S&C program, not some individual pushing it in gym. Now, if he’s not close to 100%, I agree with you, but if we go with Shane against OSU, we will lose. 

8 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

My biggest problem with Shane is on the zone read, it takes for fucking ever to hand the ball off when you know there's a 5% chance he's keeping it. I guess that's on the coaches for calling any ZR plays. 

I don’t know why they were calling ZR plays. Had to have been something with the OL and RBs accustomed to it?  I don’t know. However, Shane absolutely could execute it much better, even if running 5% of time. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t know why they were calling ZR plays. Had to have been something with the OL and RBs accustomed to it?  I don’t know. However, Shane absolutely could execute it much better, even if running 5% of time. 

Our coaching staff is decent at game planning during the week, but slow to adjust in games.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Our coaching staff is decent at game planning during the week, but slow to adjust in games.

Agreed. Still, an injury to Sam had to be close to inevitable. 

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

No, you can’t excuse it. How much more experience did Shane have than Sam heading into Week 1 versus MD?  How much more rep time with LJ and CJ and DD did he have after 6 more weeks in practice than Sam have from MD game?  It wasn’t Week 1. It’s Week 7. I don’t care that he hasn’t had real live game reps. Get the fuck over it, tenured junior with game experience. 

That “rust”, that deer in the headlights, that listlessness - that’s exactly what we’ve seen from Shane in every one of his efforts outside of Notre Dame ‘16. It’s not going to change and it sure as shit isn’t rust. 

Deer in headlights is the perfect description of what I see.  Shane is the exact opposite of a gamer.  He seems panicked.  

We survived playing Shane at QB.  This team isn't good enough yet to rely on the RBs and OL to impose our will.  We need a mobile QB.  Shane runs scared.  

Edited by jinx

49 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

My biggest problem with Shane is on the zone read, it takes for fucking ever to hand the ball off when you know there's a 5% chance he's keeping it. I guess that's on the coaches for calling any ZR plays. 

noticed this too.

the hand off takes for fucking ever...with everyone on defense b-lining for the running back...who looks like he has to come to stop to take the hand off.

Ingram still got 100 yards running like that, somehow.

Much like the rest of the game it was ugly as hell, but "ol' ugly is better that ol' nuthin" [/DKR]

All I'm saying right now is Iowa State is dragging their nuts across West Virginia's face with a True Freshman walk-on tonight. If you have to simplify the playbook then you simplify the playbook but we have 2 weeks to get Rising ready if Sam can't go, we aren't beating oSu on the road with Shane behind center.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texas25 said:

All I'm saying right now is Iowa State is dragging their nuts across West Virginia's face with a True Freshman walk-on tonight. If you have to simplify the playbook then you simplify the playbook but we have 2 weeks to get Rising ready if Sam can't go, we aren't beating oSu on the road with Shane behind center.

Matt Campbell does more with less better than nearly anyone right now, but no need to overstate it. Purdy had offers from A&M and Bama and was a mid-80s 3-star.

Still very impressive of course, and if there's even a chance Sam can't go, Rising should be seeing significant reps in practice.

• Like 1

Paging ctj. Tell us again how Sam is th worst f’ing QB in history and how you were the only one to spot it. Then tell us how Shane is even worse. Then do that effeminate thing you do and pat yourself on the back. We will then all step aside so you can prance out of the thread.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Matt Campbell does more with less better than nearly anyone right now, but no need to overstate it. Purdy had offers from A&M and Bama and was a mid-80s 3-star.

Still very impressive of course, and if there's even a chance Sam can't go, Rising should be seeing significant reps in practice.

More emphasis on the True Freshman than the walk-on but Freshman are playing all over the country and there is no doubt that Rising has more ability than Shane at QB and is a better fit for the offense. We need to be getting him ready to go not Shane. Shane did his job today but what we saw today ain't beating oSu. Plus oSu has no film on him.

Rising should definitely be getting reps. If nothing else, it's only one injury away from him being the guy, that should be obvious now more than ever. With two weeks you can even put together a package for him. Personally, I would still roll with Buchele as the starter if Sam is not 100 percent. Much like Sam has improved over the course of the year, it's reasonable to expect Buchele to play better with two weeks of reps with the first team. We've seen him be better than he was today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

More emphasis on the True Freshman than the walk-on but Freshman are playing all over the country and there is no doubt that Rising has more ability than Shane at QB and is a better fit for the offense. We need to be getting him ready to go not Shane. Shane did his job today but what we saw today ain't beating oSu. Plus oSu has no film on him.

We aren't talking tOSU. Our OSU sucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

We aren't talking tOSU. Our OSU sucks.

If you think the same team that has lost to Tech, Iowa State, and Kansas State is going to show up on Halloween weekend in what may or may not be a night game (TBD), you are mistaken. We aren't beating them with what we showed today with Shane at QB. That or our defense plays the game of their life.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jinx said:

Deer in headlights is the perfect description of what I see.  Shane is the exact opposite of a gamer.  He seems panicked.  

We survived playing Shane at QB.  This team isn't good enough yet to rely on the RBs and OL to impose our will.  We need a mobile QB.  Shane runs scared.  

Absolutely correct. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I had an AC sprain in HS. Grade one. Played through the game it happened because I didn't report it until after and was able to go the next game,which was off a bye. I played OL though, so it was largely a pain tolerance thing at that point since I wasn't really pushing the ROM of my shoulder. Even though it was a grade one it did linger all year for me. Still aggravated it pretty frequently into my college years doing things that test the ROM of a shoulder - going up for a rebound in basketball, lifting weights, etc. Still tweak it now once in a blue moon now, eight years down the line.

For a QB it would be a much bigger issue. You can't get anything close to full velocity on a throw, and even two weeks seems like a quick turnaround for both arm strength and proper recovery. If I were a betting man I would think Buchele gets the nod for OSU. They will want to make sure Sam's injury heals properly. The bye week gives him a chance though, he will get the best care available.

Thanks 🤘...... ran out of up votes

42 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Personally, I would still roll with Buchele as the starter if Sam is not 100 percent. Much like Sam has improved over the course of the year, it's reasonable to expect Buchele to play better with two weeks of reps with the first team. We've seen him be better than he was today.

Ive not often seen Shane better than he was today. With Herman, I’ve seen a lot of exactly what we saw today. 

4 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I'm glad to see this page is full of realists. The apologists earlier in the afternoon were maddening. Shane was not good at all today. I expected more out of a junior with 19 starts. Everyone should.

No doubt. There is truth to the argument that the play calling did not set him up for success but the bottom line is that he played a bad game. His stat line was pedestrian and the actual quality of the performance was worse. I have rarely, if ever, seen a QB just constantly miss like he did in the first half. I don't get the personal stuff though.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

image.png

Burton needs to know don’t let a high school trainer give you diagnosis and treatment advice. Bobby and that trainer don’t know jack about this injury. Furthermore, a grade 1 sprain does not necessarily mean subluxation. There can be a lot a variety within the classifications of a “sprain”.  Any sprain is likely injured connective tissue but it’s a matter of how much tearing and how unstable it makes the affected joint. No one will exactly know until a MRI and some time for the inflammation to subside.

• Like 1

You are a recruiting guru, you saying he had an offer from Alabama is CNNish and you know it. Bad form. How many offers did Alabama give out that year? 100? 200?

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yup..... Purdy on Scholarship

"Purdy came to Iowa State after a prolific senior season at Perry High School in Gilbert, Arizona, where he threw for 4,405 yards and 57 touchdowns and rushed for 1,016 yards in leading his team to the Class 6A championship game. The Iowa State coaches got in with him during his junior year and were able to fend off late pushes from schools such as Alabama and Texas A&M.

Campbell said it was one of the most pleasant recruiting experiences of his career.

"You could tell there was a great sense of maturity," he said. "You watch him around his brother and his mother and you say, yeah, this guy's got a lot of those 'it' factors. He's got it together."

Coaches and teammates have to speak for Purdy because Campbell does not allow his true freshmen to talk with reporters. After one game, anyway, his play has spoken volumes.

There are no gimme wins on our schedule, unfortunately, 

What’s left of our home slate is against good competition and our away games are all gonna be slugfests. 

But what about Kansas? Kansas that late in our schedule will be a weird on account of Thanksgiving break and climate. 

We are in survive and advance mode. Every game is like advancing in a tournament. We slip up and the Moonshiners or cOcksUckers will back door their way into that game played on December 1st in Arlington. 

It’s too early to start sucking each other’s dicks.

15 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I'm glad to see this page is full of realists. The apologists earlier in the afternoon were maddening. Shane was not good at all today. I expected more out of a junior with 19 starts. Everyone should.

Maybe if you post the exact same thing over and over in multiple threads he will play better

Edited by Revolution512

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Yup..... Purdy on Scholarship

"Purdy came to Iowa State after a prolific senior season at Perry High School in Gilbert, Arizona, where he threw for 4,405 yards and 57 touchdowns and rushed for 1,016 yards in leading his team to the Class 6A championship game. The Iowa State coaches got in with him during his junior year and were able to fend off late pushes from schools such as Alabama and Texas A&M.

Campbell said it was one of the most pleasant recruiting experiences of his career.

"You could tell there was a great sense of maturity," he said. "You watch him around his brother and his mother and you say, yeah, this guy's got a lot of those 'it' factors. He's got it together."

Coaches and teammates have to speak for Purdy because Campbell does not allow his true freshmen to talk with reporters. After one game, anyway, his play has spoken volumes.

My bad, saw somewhere that said he was a walk-on, still impressive for a true Freshman