Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Sam is better than Shane, and it isn’t even close, especially given the importance of the QB running in this offense.

Sam is better than any QB we’ve had in the last few years, including Gilbert, Herp Derp, Ash, Swoopes, and Heard.

Sam is probably not a good enough runner or passer to win us a national title, but maybe Herman can do here what he did at OSU, win a title with a pedestrian QB. Sam needs much better line talent to make that happen.

Rising on paper has the best mix of arm and running, putting him in pole position to lead us to a title, but we haven’t seen whether he has the “it” factor.

Thompson is an electric runner, but is an inconsistent passer. If someone could improve his mechanics, he could give Rising a run.

Johnson is also an electric runner with an inconsistent arm. He’s ahead of Thompson in skill at this point, but Thompson will have a year of learning ahead of him.

Hand looks to have both electric running and decent passing, but there are concerns about his size and durability.

Basically, we don’t have a slam dunk perfect QB on the roster or coming in the next two years. Herman has to win with the deficiencies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Reading this thread, one would think Sam in the offense is VY part 2, while ignoring Tulsa, K-state, Maryland.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

No one is saying he's VY.  But we've watched our putrid offense the last 5 years.  The only reason we're even remotely functional of offense is because of him.  Sam atleast gives us a running threat and is a punishing runner.  With Shane, you will see ISU, WV drop 8 and dare us to run like they did 2 years ago.  If our o-line can't run block you'll see the same shit we saw 2 years ago.  He's not VY but he's also better than fucking Case, Ash, Swoopes, Heard, Shane.

It's almost as if Sam's first game this year he didn't run a "punishing" 30 yards and complete only 54% of his passes to go with 2TD/2INT against a 4-2 team....

Compared to Shane's first game this year running 22 yards, completing 59% going 1TD/1INT against a 4-2 team....

So apparently only 1 QB is fit for praise and the other for criticism, depending on whose wagon they hitched onto, instead of viewing performances on a game by game basis.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I always root for Shane much like I rooted for Charlie to succeed, but like Charlie, Shane doesn't have what it takes to succeed at Texas.  The one thing I feel confident about Shane over Sam is the deep route to Duverne that Sam has difficulties with every game.  Other than that Shane is a sack/interception waiting to happen.  
Why do people feel the need to tell us they root for certain players or coaches? If you are a fan of UT, you obviously are going to want them to win, no matter the players or coaches.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

His shoulder just further exposed Mack Brown’s systemic recruiting issues...but that’s for another thread.

Clearly I’m no Shane fan but this pervasive never-ending opinion has got to stop at some point. Charlie did NOTHING to recruit linemen and QBs, and he wasn’t nearly quick enough on QBs. And it cost him this job. 

Mack was deplorable at recruiting either the last several 7 years of his tenure, but Mack is NOT affecting us now, particularly at QB, and I don’t even really put any perceived QB depth issue on Charlie either. Here’s why: in this era of QB transfers, our QB depth this season is not that bad. We have a decent, developing soph starter, a seasoned junior backup, 2 stud true freshmen and an incoming stud freshman. That is not that bad. The issue is Shane, and Herman not having had ample time to recruit QBs that fit his style. That is changing quickly. It is decent now, will be good next year, and will be ideal in ‘20. 

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, stork642 said:
I always root for Shane much like I rooted for Charlie to succeed, but like Charlie, Shane doesn't have what it takes to succeed at Texas.  The one thing I feel confident about Shane over Sam is the deep route to Duverne that Sam has difficulties with every game.  Other than that Shane is a sack/interception waiting to happen.  

Why do people feel the need to tell us they root for certain players or coaches? If you are a fan of UT, you obviously are going to want them to win, no matter the players or coaches.

I guess they just want to qualify what they say so it doesn’t sound like they are bad mouthing whomever.

Shane isn’t the guy, and it’s pretry clear. We need Sam to run this offense. 

Try reading from time to time instead of knee jerk posting like the moron you are. And change the username you are not fit for that name.

I read this site plenty. Literally nobody has said Sam is VY part 2 like you claim. Please quote the posts where people are claiming that. I’ll hang up and listen.
  • Like 1

Clearly I’m no Shane fan but this pervasive never-ending opinion has got to stop at some point. Charlie did NOTHING to recruit linemen and QBs, and he wasn’t nearly quick enough on QBs. And it cost him this job. 
Mack was deplorable at recruiting either the last several 7 years of his tenure, but Mack is NOT affecting us now, particularly at QB, and I don’t even really put any perceived QB depth issue on Charlie either. Here’s why: in this era of QB transfers, our QB depth this season is not that bad. We have a decent, developing soph starter, a seasoned junior backup, 2 stud true freshmen and an incoming stud freshman. That is not that bad. The issue is Shane, and Herman not having had ample time to recruit QBs that fit his style. That is changing quickly. It is decent now, will be good next year, and will be ideal in ‘20. 

I was responding to the poster that blamed Ash’s shoulder on our downfall. Learn how to read or go back to the cloak room bitch.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Yeah, the offense yesterday wasn't appreciably worse than in those games.  Especially if you compare the 2nd halves only.

I think taking advantage of Mike Stoops's incompetence is influencing some people a little bit too much.

This offense isn’t world beating with Sam. Clearly he needs development still, as evidenced by MD, and second halves of Tulsa and KSU. But it isn’t limited to OU. He was really good versus USC and TCU. This O runs appreciably better with him than with Shane. 

And nobody has compared Sam to VY, Nivek, and you know that. In fact in this very thread, some dumbass compared Rising’s speed to VY’s in effort to get him some snaps for a at-the-time struggling Sam. His evidence?  A high school highlight vid. 

55 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Try reading from time to time instead of knee jerk posting like the moron you are. And change the username you are not fit for that name.

So you’re doubling down on this idiocy.  Nobody has intimated he’s close to VY. And you know it. 

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, stork642 said:

No, as a fan I don't care who is in there I just want them to play well to help the team win the game.  Shane is very likable and more difficult for me to say get him the hell out of there.   Some fans don't like particular players/coaches and at the first misstep say get them out of there.   That being said I have no doubt that Shane will not succeed at Texas.  He just doesn't have the intestinal fortitude that the QB position at UT requires.  

Edited by stork642

17 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I guess they just want to qualify what they say so it doesn’t sound like they are bad mouthing whomever.

He is an effective enough fill in for Sam, while out with the hand injury on yesterday... That's better than many division 1 teams can claim...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Yep. If you’re critical Charlie, and don’t qualify it, you get labeled a racist. Trust me, I know. If you’re critical of Shane, HUBS issues a hero post and gets 8 morons to pos rep him. When Shane is in there, I root for him. When Charlie played Kansas, I rooted for him. I’m not a coach in an interview; I’m a fan on a message board. I’ll say what I want about Shane without qualification. 

Let the man suck dick. A man's gotta suck dick, 'specially a determined dick sucking man. He's liberated when doing so - who are we to deny him that liberated, flesh-in-cheek feeling? Let the man suck dick. I'll go as far as going on record saying that that man should be allowed to suck dick.

As Vic once told Zepoil, “I’m not gay but $25 is $25”

5 minutes ago, stork642 said:

No, as a fan I don't care who is in there I just want them to play well to help the team win the game.  Shane is very likable and more difficult for me to say get him the hell out of there.   Some fans don't like particular players/coaches and at the first misstep say get them out of here.   That being said I have no doubt that Shane will not succeed at Texas.  He just doesn't have the intestinal fortitude that the QB position at UT requires.  

First misstep?  He’s 9-9 as a starter and that’s giving Shane the Mizzou game where he was clearly outplayed by Sam. Conversely Sam is 9-5. In Shane’s first 14 starts he was 6-8. 

Shane had several familiar missteps yesterday; they weren’t the first. 

16 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

He is an effective enough fill in for Sam, while out with the hand injury on yesterday... That's better than many division 1 teams can claim...

Most D 1 teams have much better backup options. If by “effective enough” you mean “almost cost us a home loss against Baylor but his D and Ingram bailed him out effectively enough to eek out a listless win” I agree with you. 

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

First misstep?  He’s 9-9 as a starter and that’s giving Shane the Mizzou game where he was clearly outplayed by Sam. Conversely Sam is 9-5. In Shane’s first 14 starts he was 6-8. 

Breathtakingly stupid take. I can’t breathe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Most D 1 teams have much better backup options. If by “effective enough” you mean “almost cost us a home loss against Baylor but his D and Ingram bailed him out effectively enough to eek out a listless win” I agree with you. 

I can see your point, when describing in such details...

14 minutes ago, BigXII said:

People are saying it's the same injury Sam Bradford had in 2008... I remember them trying to rush him back for the RRS, one sack and his year was over. Best to be careful and hold him out against OK. St.

Get well soon, Sam.

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Tulsa, Kstate, first half of TCU, and MD didn’t happen in your world? Shane wasn’t good yesterday, either. In short, you are the idoit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

People are saying it's the same injury Sam Bradford had in 2008... I remember them trying to rush him back for the RRS, one sack and his year was over. Best to be careful and hold him out against OK. St.

Get well soon, Sam.

Yeah, that's probably why sitting him out the entire Baylor game was such a good thing. He gets two solid weeks to recover. Not going through the full game is a huge help.

He might be good to go vs Ok St, though. Sam seems built of sterner stuff than ol' cross-eyes.

Edited by BigXII

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Get well soon, Sam.

You must be talking about ‘09

13 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You judge a QB by the wins and losses...

11 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

...1 post later.

At least take a break and spread out your stupidity.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Tulsa, Kstate, first half of TCU, and MD didn’t happen in your world? Shane wasn’t good yesterday, either. In short, you are the idoit.

Of course they happened and I never stated otherwise. Also, MD wasn’t that bad until the 4th, Tulsa and KSU first halves weren’t that bad, and TCU first half wasn’t that bad. As opposed to yesterday, where our QB held us back the whole game outside of about 5 minutes of play. 

They shouldn't rush him back because the wheels could really fall off if he gets hurt again and is out for the year. Also, if they are not going to change the game plan, they need to put Thompson in for the running threat, even though Rising is QB3.

Edited by RandomIdoit

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You judge a QB by the wins and losses...

...1 post later.

At least take a break and spread out your stupidity.

I gave Shane credit for the Mizzou start, and gave Sam credit for the Baylor start. 

24 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

If you are talking about blue blood programs at the top of the rankings then possibly, but 90% of programs would kill to have a backup QB with 18 starts and middle of the road but predictable performance at backup. Hell blowU has a true freshman backup behind Murray and outside of Bama or Georgia, most teams would be sweating in our situation this week and most likely would have lost. 

12 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Of course they happened and I never stated otherwise. Also, MD wasn’t that bad until the 4th, Tulsa and KSU first halves weren’t that bad, and TCU first half wasn’t that bad. As opposed to yesterday, where our QB held us back the whole game outside of about 5 minutes of play. 

We scored one fucking offensive TD against KSU. We were losing to TCU at halftime. Tulsa was a few missed field goals and dropped TD passes from beating us. You covered Maryland. Just stop. Our offense is mediocre at best no matter which one plays quarterback. Our record and beating OU is silencing most of the complaining.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Doesn't that also include the WVU road game, where Shane started, was ineffective and replaced by Sam.

Colt, Vince and Applewhite had the “it” factor. You could see it when they first took the field. Sam didn’t show that. However, Sam played as a true freshman and didn’t get the benefit of a redshirt. So this year is really the year where he should be showing the “it” factor. I haven’t seen it yet, but he’s been decent. The next few games should tell everyone a lot about his real ceiling.

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

We scored one fucking offensive TD against KSU. We were losing to TCU at halftime. Tulsa was a few missed field goals and dropped TD passes from beating us. You covered Maryland. Just stop. Our offense is mediocre at best no matter which one plays quarterback. Our record and beating OU is silencing most of the complaining.

Our O was moving the ball against a KSU that is clearly a bit better than initially thought. Tulsa was murdering our D in the first half; the O wasn’t the problem. And Sam’s performance the whole game against TCU was good. I agree, again, that our O is a work in progress and not sold on the notion that we are world beaters. But it is progressing - with Sam - and regresses with Shane. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Colt, Vince and Applewhite had the “it” factor. You could see it when they first took the field. Sam didn’t show that. However, Sam played as a true freshman and didn’t get the benefit of a redshirt. So this year is really the year where he should be showing the “it” factor. I haven’t seen it yet, but he’s been decent. The next few games should tell everyone a lot about his real ceiling.

If you didn’t see it against USC in his first start in 2017, I’d give you a pass after watching his idiot plays versus SC and OSU. If you haven’t seen it now, you’re a moron. 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The last QB that was a multiyear starter that also RS'd was Colt. 

Edited by HtownHorn

Get well soon, Sam.

There isn’t a QB on your roster that couldn’t beat us by 14+ points. Whoever you run out there will have the greatest game of his career. Keep that in mind when the QB controversy starts the day after.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If you are talking about blue blood programs at the top of the rankings then possibly, but 90% of programs would kill to have a backup QB with 18 starts and middle of the road but predictable performance at backup. Hell blowU has a true freshman backup behind Murray and outside of Bama or Georgia, most teams would be sweating in our situation this week and most likely would have lost. 

I disagree. Perhaps it’s not “the majority” as I stated, but it’s not 10%, the inverse of your 90%.