The QB Situation

Junior Miller

This is a thread for ideas about what to do at QB.

I think we've had enough time and enough end of close game fuck ups to know that Ehlinger isn't going to be a successful QB at this level. So the question now that we took an L from a mediocre 5 to 7 win power 5 team is what should they do at QB going forward?

Play Sam and keep trying to hope he won't keep fucking up close games?

Play Shane who seems to be a poor fit for the offense and is fragile?

Or say fuck it, we have no title chance to play for now anymore so get Rising in there and let him grow and see what he can do to set us up for next year?

Either way Herman is at least getting one more year like Strong did before Del Conte is able to go get his own coach. 

I think I'm leaning try Shane and work in Rising too. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, shaq said:

Who's idea was it to sit Sam in the pocket and not let him run?

No shit. The entire assumption underlying Ehlinger was running, either designed or from a collapsing pocket. If you want a pocket passer and can hold the pocket 50 percent of the time, as we could against UM, Shane is your boy. 

I say we play Cam and see what happens. Buechele will be more of the same. While hes more accurate than Sam, he gets happy feet in the pocket by making 1 read and then panicking. Plus he gives off an aloof vibe that doesnt inspire his teammates.

3 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I vote heard obviously. 

this is the most intriguing possibility. Seems he has been around forever, since the Ash days right? He can run and his accuracy couldn't be any worse.  OU would win the Big12 with him starting aka Paul Thompson. 

1 minute ago, Texas said:

I say we play Cam and see what happens. Buechele will be more of the same. While hes more accurate than Sam, he gets happy feet in the pocket by making 1 read and then panicking. Plus he gives off an aloof vibe that doesnt inspire his teammates.

Sam's INTs aren't exactly inspiring.

• Like 2

I think we see heavy doses of Shane and Rising next week vs Tulsa. 

If I were Herman, knowing you don't have a team that can realistically compete for a spot in the playoff, use the non-con games as pre-season tune up games so you get shit straight for conference play.

I don’t get the total lack of QB development year after year. I also don’t believe our QB’s are as bad as they appear to be. But you can’t miss their expression when a big play is about to happen. They always have a “I hope I don’t fuck this up” look in their eyes. And I lay that at Herman’s feet. I want a guy who has been coached up with confidence and simply isn’t scared to fuck it up. Stop  being so fucking tentative. Grab the situation by the balls and perform!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ramdiesel said:

Cant the freshmen play 4 games now without burning the redshirt year?  Let them play some.  Got nothing to lose at this point..Sam is definitely no permanent answer...

Sam isn't a temporary answer.  Anyone that didn't realized he sucked after Okie lite last year, is as stupid as he is.

If Sam is the QB then you ride him all year. Shane is too fragile to be the starter. Save the freshmen. That's how we got in this situation by not giving these kids a year in the system before playing them.
If the team didn't brain fart the first 1 1/2 quarters this was a totally different game.

Just now, Irwin F Fletcher said:

This shit right here! Maryland was dropping 8 in coverage. Run. The. Fucking. Ball. Sam!

It's not that simple. Maryland kept a spy on Sam all day in the 4th quarter and we didn't have an answer.

It's the exact same defensive strategy Iowa State used against Jerrod Heard in 2015. Rush 3, drop 8, and force the QB to go through his reads and find the holes in your zone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Shane is not the guy who's going to get us to 7 wins (realistically, that is this team's ceiling after today). As bad as Sam was you just have to stick with him and hope that Rising or Thompson will develop into stars.

We aren’t willing to run the QB!  If we are going to force him to stay in the pocket might as well go with the better passer 

It's not that simple. Maryland kept a spy on Sam all day in the 4th quarter and we didn't have an answer.
It's the exact same defensive strategy Iowa State used against Jerrod Heard in 2015. Rush 3, drop 8, and force the QB to go through his reads and find the holes in your zone.

You can do this when your qb sucks and have no run game.

1 hour ago, Texas said:

You only get "happy feet" when you're moving around needlessly. Shane's movement was necessitated by unblocked blind side rushers and marginally blocked front side rushers.

If the line can protect Shane like they did Sam, Shane would hit more passes. What I don't know is how defenses would change without the threat of Sam running. I would have put Shane in to start the second quarter today.

Ehlinger looked like he'd just come out of a trance in the first quarter. The dull-eyed look as we got a delay penalty on the first play made my stomach go to a bad and familiar place.

I'm very tired of not really believing Texas will or can win a game like this. Maybe we'll bounce back. Maybe not. But it will take some real difference to ease this sense of doom I have whenever we get behind in a game.

The offense lacks any kind of coherence. We come to life running tempo to end the second quarter, but we abandon that for the slow clap offense the rest of the game. We have success running up the middle, but we run at the same spot three times in a row for 9, 4, and 0 yards. WTF? 

We seem to bumble around looking for something that will work instead of setting up something to work. I don't know how to do that myself, but I recognize it when it happens.

Three turnovers to end the game. Two were interceptions. Start Shane.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1