Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Looks like this Romo was a great quarterback argument isn't going away.

I'd take Dak over Romo any day. Romo was too slow, got hurt too easily and threw too many interceptions.

I think the point was that it's a favorable comparison for Dak. It's ok, man. Math is hard.

37 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I think the point was that it's a favorable comparison for Dak. It's ok, man. Math is hard.

Of course it was a favorable comparison. That doesn't mean people aren't still going to bring up Romo. It happens about every other page. Reading comprehension is difficult, as well.

6 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Of course it was a favorable comparison. That doesn't mean people aren't still going to bring up Romo. It happens about every other page. Reading comprehension is difficult, as well.

They weren't bringing up Romo to claim he was a great quarterback, but whatever bro

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

In our lifetime we have watched Rex Grossman play in a Super Bowl, Blake Bortles play in an AFC championship game, Nick Foles out duel Tom Brady for a ring, Ben Roethlisberger win a Super Bowl going 9/21 for 123 yards and 2 INTs, Trent Dilfer win a ring, and Brad Johnson win a Super Bowl.

Based on what Dak has shown, he is more than capable of taking this team to a championship.

Not to mention the likes of Chris Chandler and Stan Humphries QB'd Super Bowl teams. With a good defense who can get needed stops late Dak can definitely get to a SB and win

17 minutes ago, futureman said:

this is just adorable

Honestly, it’s not. Dak doesn’t have to play hero ball. Clean up turnovers and this team can make it to the nfc championship. 

Strangely I feel much better about this team vs. 2016. Yeah our O-Line is shittier but the boys up front are playing better than anything we trotted out 2010-2013. 

31 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Honestly, it’s not. Dak doesn’t have to play hero ball. Clean up turnovers and this team can make it to the nfc championship. 

Strangely I feel much better about this team vs. 2016. Yeah our O-Line is shittier but the boys up front are playing better than anything we trotted out 2010-2013. 

It's the defense. No matter how many points we would score in previous years, you could always count on the D folding at the end and losing the game. This defense is going to carry the team through the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It's the defense. No matter how many points we would score in previous years, you could always count on the D folding at the end and losing the game. This defense is going to carry the team through the playoffs. 

This is the difference right here. Hopefully we can get a little healthier on the O-line come playoff time, but the real difference maker will be the defense. 

Defense can still carry you in the playoffs. I think ours can get us to the championship game. They are starting to force turnovers more these days it seems. That's a big thing.

And you're silly if you don't think Dak has the ability to win a few playoff games to get us there. Case Keenum and Bortles got there last year.

When did Romo become polished? 2014. When he was in his 30s. Oh and he sat for years before he ever started. Dak hasn't even played 3 years yet. We're seeing the growing pains. He's still very young. He's always had this team in position to win. Should be 2 division titles in 3 years. Maybe another double digit win season. Does he need to clean up things? Absolutely. But he has the tools. I have confidence he will make the plays when needed. It's not always going to be pretty getting there but in the end, he's been getting it done.

Dak is an avg QB but he's young and he can improve and be good to great. I worry about his lack of an experienced QB coach and an OC who seems to have lost the ability to call a great offensive game.

But lets not kid ourselves here. Romo could quite possibly take any of the teams from the last three years to the super bowl. Ok maybe not last year with the injuries and Smith not at 100% yet, but the '16 team with that offense clicking or the '18 team with this defense and young talented WR group, I think they'd be scoring much more like the 4th quarter and OT against the Eagles than like the first 3.

• Like 2

My biggest worry about Dak is how little coaching he's getting on the technical aspects of his job,  particularly his footwork.  Check out highlights from his 1st year compared to this year and the difference in his feet is stark.  Granted, the Oline was better in year one, but Dak had way better feet as a rookie than he does now.  That and he was consistently on point in his short and immediate throws as a rookie,  especially to Beasley. Keep Kellen on the staff if you have to, but Dak is in dire need of some technical refinement on everything from ball security and navigating the pocket to throwing motion and footwork.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 10/22/2018 at 7:15 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Overreaction Surly? Fucking lulz. Dallas is getting trashed Nationwide and by most fans. Gee I wonder why? Because this trade was terrible. And makes no sense in our current situation

On 10/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, DougO said:

It might make them a little better. It won't likely make them significantly better for the future, at least not nearly as much as a solid first round pick in 2019 could have.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:10 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Does anyone doubt that this trade has Jerry's greasy fingers all over it? A fucking 1st for a WR not named Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Denard Hopkins, or Odell Beckham. Even if those names were included I'd still have reservations about giving up a 1st rounder

On 10/22/2018 at 10:12 PM, Landomatic said:

I just think everyone here is underestimating how much having A threat at that position can completely change the game.  Before today...we had NONE.  Now...we may have ONE.  Huge difference. Huge.

giphy.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Dak is an avg QB but he's young and he can improve and be good to great. I worry about his lack of an experienced QB coach and an OC who seems to have lost the ability to call a great offensive game.

But lets not kid ourselves here. Romo could quite possibly take any of the teams from the last three years to the super bowl. Ok maybe not last year with the injuries and Smith not at 100% yet, but the '16 team with that offense clicking or the '18 team with this defense and young talented WR group, I think they'd be scoring much more like the 4th quarter and OT against the Eagles than like the first 3.

But he didn't the one's he had there. Romo may have been the unluckiest son of a bitch to ever play QB in the league,  but the proof of all the ifs and could'ves is his record.  He started 10 years in the league and had 2 playoff wins to show for it  The notion that the majority of his career he was playing by himself is way the fuck overblown. Sure Jerry mismanaged some of his career and carrying an extremely risk averse OC/HC in Garrett on his back didn't help but the record is the record.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Ahhh the folk legend of Romo grows every year. In 20 years, people will speak of Romo as a 20 foot giant who slayed dragons on his way to the stadium to play. Romo had plenty of chances to get to a Super Bowl. And he didn't. Hell he never even advanced past the divisional round. 0 for 3. Quit creating these hypothetical scenarios that have no basis. For one, Romo can't even take an NFL hit so he isn't leading a team anywhere these days. He'd be on IR after a few weeks. Why do people continue to bring up this dude who never won anything yet he's going to lead all these teams after Dak took over to the Super Bowl? Give it a rest. He's gone. He's never coming back. He never won anything here. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

My biggest worry about Dak is how little coaching he's getting on the technical aspects of his job,  particularly his footwork.  Check out highlights from his 1st year compared to this year and the difference in his feet is stark.  Granted, the Oline was better in year one, but Dak had way better feet as a rookie than he does now.  That and he was consistently on point in his short and immediate throws as a rookie,  especially to Beasley. Keep Kellen on the staff if you have to, but Dak is in dire need of some technical refinement on everything from ball security and navigating the pocket to throwing motion and footwork.  

It’s ridiculous that Jerry decided to go into this year with a first year qb coach who hasn’t coached anything before, no TE, and that group of receivers. They acted like they had a grizzled vet at QB.

So it's Romo's fault that Patrick Crayton dropped a pass to his numbers.  It's his fault that  idiot refs overturned Dez's catch.  It's Romo's fault that Demarco decided that the playoff game was the time to fumble.  It's Romo's fault that every time he led a late fourth quarter scoring drive the defense folded and gave the score right back within a minute or two.  It's Romo's fault that ginger can't manage a clock and refuses to be aggressive.  It's his fault Jerry drafted tight ends and loser backup QBs instead of defensive needs.  Luckily mackey is only a small subset of supposed Cowboy fans who think their "hot takes" are interesting, like the smell of their own farts.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

So it's Romo's fault that Patrick Crayton dropped a pass to his numbers.  It's his fault that  idiot refs overturned Dez's catch.  It's Romo's fault that Demarco decided that the playoff game was the time to fumble.  It's Romo's fault that every time he led a late fourth quarter scoring drive the defense folded and gave the score right back within a minute or two.  It's Romo's fault that ginger can't manage a clock and refuses to be aggressive.  It's his fault Jerry drafted tight ends and loser backup QBs instead of defensive needs.  Luckily mackey is only a small subset of supposed Cowboy fans who think their "hot takes" are interesting, like the smell of their own farts.

This is the correct take.

For many in the generation of Cowboys fans who came of age during the late 90s after the Super Bowl wins and through 2000s I can understand why they hold Romo up as a some sort of legend.  His story from rookie free agent QB to nearly a consistent all-pro level is awe-inspiring, but without any real team achievements on his ledger he's basically Archie Manning. There are a number of examples of truly elite QBs putting flawed teams on their backs and taking their teams deep into the playoffs.  Rodgers sole super bowl win came with a team that led the league in games lost to injury by starters.  Warner got to a Super Bowl with an 8-8 squad. Romo definitely overcame a lot to make us competitive,  but that was the ceiling of what he could muster.  And for fans of an organization with 5 superbowl championships,  8 conference championships, and an ungodly number of division championships the elevation of Romo as some sort of Cowboy diety is overwrought. We're not Cleveland or Detroit. Give it a rest already.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

My memories of Romo will always be seeing dallas score 35-40 points and losing because our defense sucked shit through a straw.  Also seeing them lose to the giants in 07, dropping the snap against seattle. but mostly him doing everything on earth to put us in position to win and the defense shitting itself. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

When did Romo become polished? 2014. When he was in his 30s. Oh and he sat for years before he ever started. Dak hasn't even played 3 years yet. We're seeing the growing pains. He's still very young. He's always had this team in position to win. Should be 2 division titles in 3 years. Maybe another double digit win season. Does he need to clean up things? Absolutely. But he has the tools. I have confidence he will make the plays when needed. It's not always going to be pretty getting there but in the end, he's been getting it done.

Instead of comparisons to Romo, I'd rather see more comparisons to Aikman. Aikman had a learning curve. In his third year, he won a Super Bowl. He didn't need to carry the team on his back. His numbers were solid, sometimes stellar. He didn't make a lot of mistakes. Like Dak, he was big and strong. He won the big games. He had a coach who knew how to win.

What we're watching now is a team with its QB, head coach and OC going through growing pains. We'll see if they can put it all together against the Colts. This would be  giant win for them. Luck looked unstoppable last week. Hopefully Garrett, Linehan and Dak can get the job done. Giant test for the Defense and the Offense.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

One reason the Cowboys' brass like Dak is he's clutch.  If you're not going to be an elite QB all the time, at least be at your best when needed most.  Now, every QB who plays long enough is going to lose a game down the stretch from a misplaced turnover or not being able to get the team into the EZ in a two minute drill or have a teammate fail him (Looney tried last week) when bringing them back.  But thus far in his career, he's been clutch when needed.  

He's still 25 years old so I'm sure they see future growth.  He's a hard worker and hopefully can work on his multiple deficiencies as Tony did.  At age 25, Romo still hadn't played a snap in this league, let alone played in the playoffs.  Tony was a very good QB, anyone arguing this is simplistic.  But folks seem to remember a fully realized Tony, which was until he was realistically 31 (INT% consistently down, completion % consistently up), when he really learned to manage a game and became one of the best two minute artists in the league.  I'm sure the Cowboys probably hope Dak can evolve as well, where he's way ahead of Tony's curve in terms of experience.  Tony's career year was when he was 34. 

Still need a system/scheme change IMO for Dak to thrive.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Instead of comparisons to Romo, I'd rather see more comparisons to Aikman. Aikman had a learning curve. In his third year, he won a Super Bowl. He didn't need to carry the team on his back. His numbers were solid, sometimes stellar. He didn't make a lot of mistakes. Like Dak, he was big and strong. He won the big games. He had a coach who knew how to win.

What we're watching now is a team with its QB, head coach and OC going through growing pains. We'll see if they can put it all together against the Colts. This would be  giant win for them. Luck looked unstoppable last week. Hopefully Garrett, Linehan and Dak can get the job done. Giant test for the Defense and the Offense.

Aikman was a part of his first playoff game in year 3, backing up Steve Buerlein, not the Super Bowl, which was year 4.  In year 3, Aikman was still being shuttled in with Steve Buerlein and had a 11:10 TD to INT ratio.

I get your point, but simply wanted to point out it takes time, even with a HOF like Aikman who never carried a team to a SB.  He evolved into a clutch QB when he needed to be.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, futureman said:

is that what you people want?  a huge contract that prevents building the roster for an average quarterback with below average talent who is capable of managing games and not screwing things up most of the time and needs the help of an all-time great defense led by two of the all-time greats at their position to “manage” his team to a super bowl win.  y’all wanna roll the dice on that?  ok.  I think we should get someone who can actually throw the damn ball and let this offense realize the potential of it’s incredible young talent  but that seems to be a crazy opinion.  maybe we can win the super bowl 13-10!

No, actually what most reasonable and logical fans want is for Dak to take a reasonable and team friendly contract, so as not to hurt them in regards to team building.  Dak, if he has a nice playoff run, could very well ask for 28 mil a year(heck Garropolo got it and hasn't done shit), he'll have earned it based on market price for the position.  But we hope he's smart enough and self aware enough to realize he needs to be paid around the middle of the pack, like the 15th best QB(much like Brady has done) in order to spread that money around.

You're an idiot if you don't think Dak goes into the open market this year and doesn't get paid big money by a team that's a QB away.  You think Jax would sign him in a heart beat? 

23 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Dak puts a ceiling on this team period. Gotta hope for nick Foles like run this year, because when Dak gets extended for 20-30M per year he’s not gonna be good enough to make up for materially worse team. 

Actually 20 mil is probably where it should/could be, and that's perfectly fine for the team.  With the cap going up to 180-190 mil, that's not much over 10% of your cap for the most important position.  That'll be more than reasonable.  Now if it gets to 30 mil they're in trouble.

20 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

Dak over Romo?! And "any day" on top of that? Jesus, the terrible takes really do run rampant in this thread, don't they?  Dak has shown flashes here and there but like GRHorn said, he's an average game manager, he can't take over the game with his arm in the way Romo could.  Linehan has plenty of blame as well but he's not the only reason our offense looks so stagnant for long stretches so often.  I said earlier in this thread that Dak can be as good as we need him to be with some work (see Alex Smith going to a fairly recent Super Bowl) but I'd much rather have a healthy Romo actually moving the ball down the field

Isn't that exactly what he just did on Sunday?  Take the game over(with obviously help from Amari, but we can't knock that as most QB's have that go to guy).  I'm not suggesting we should expect and ask him to do it on a regular basis.  But Sunday proved he could, as did the play off game in GB when he was even better and Rodgers was just better.

19 hours ago, chase25 said:

In our lifetime we have watched Rex Grossman play in a Super Bowl, Blake Bortles play in an AFC championship game, Nick Foles out duel Tom Brady for a ring, Ben Roethlisberger win a Super Bowl going 9/21 for 123 yards and 2 INTs, Trent Dilfer win a ring, and Brad Johnson win a Super Bowl.

Based on what Dak has shown, he is more than capable of taking this team to a championship.

Absolutely.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Defense can still carry you in the playoffs. I think ours can get us to the championship game. They are starting to force turnovers more these days it seems. That's a big thing.

And you're silly if you don't think Dak has the ability to win a few playoff games to get us there. Case Keenum and Bortles got there last year.

People forget he's started since day 1 and has coaches that everyone hates.  Romo sat on the bench and had Parcells.  Big difference in growth and training IMO.

4 hours ago, Viper said:

No, no he couldn't.  Dude had a similar team in 14 and didn't do it(not all his fault I know), and the 2016 team got as far as it did and then ran into the Rodgers Buzz Saw...Romo wasn't changing the result of that game.  Dak played his ass off and had maybe his best game ever.

8 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Maybe my math is wrong, but wasn't it year 4 when Aikmen got them to a SB?  Didn't they lose to Detroit in 91 playoffs, which would be his 3rd season(1989 was bad, 1990 was better, 1991 was first playoff game).  Maybe the years are throwing me off, but pretty sure it was year 4.

2 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I know a ton of Cowboys fans also.

Sometimes I feel we have the most idiotic fan base.

If we are going to compare dak to romo, let’s at least go by their years as starting qb. Romo’s best years were in his 30s because he didn’t start right out of college. 

Can we please compare dak this year to romo’s 3rd year as starting qb?

even that discounts the advantage of sitting and learning for years before playing, but it’s closer than just going by age. 

At least when comparing to aikman, age and years played are basically the same. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Aikman was a part of his first playoff game in year 3, backing up Steve Buerlein, not the Super Bowl, which was year 4.  In year 3, Aikman was still being shuttled in with Steve Buerlein and had a 11:10 TD to INT ratio.

I get your point, but simply wanted to point out it takes time, even with a HOF like Aikman who never carried a team to a SB.  He evolved into a clutch QB when he needed to be.

Ah, answered before I posted.  Thought so.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No, aikman got hurt. That’s why beurlein was playing. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No, aikman got hurt. That’s why beurlein was playing. 

Aikman was ready to go by the playoffs, he even said it.  Aikman was 6-5 and let's face it, playing mediocre ball.  Jimmy went with Buerlein who was 5-0 subbing in for Aikman and we beat Chicago.  Troy played in the Detroit game when we were getting our doors blown off after Buerlein started again.  

• Like 1

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

also someone said our coach was going threw growing pains,  nah he just doesnt know how to coach,  Dak is having growing pains, Garrett is out of his league 

Still think Linehan is the biggest issue, more than the coach, more the QB.  I actually think, at this point, Garrett could do a decent enough job with 2 good Coordinators(he has one already, or 1.5 in Richard/Rod)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

My memories of Romo will always be seeing dallas score 35-40 points and losing because our defense sucked shit through a straw.  Also seeing them lose to the giants in 07, dropping the snap against seattle. but mostly him doing everything on earth to put us in position to win and the defense shitting itself. 

What about 2012 in the last game of the season when we were once again in a win and get in game? A game where all but maybe 2 drives advanced into a Washington territory and Romo threw 3 inexplicable interceptions that would've gotten most QBs benched on the spot in a game we had no business losing. 

43 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

One reason the Cowboys' brass like Dak is he's clutch.  If you're not going to be an elite QB all the time, at least be at your best when needed most.  Now, every QB who plays long enough is going to lose a game down the stretch from a misplaced turnover or not being able to get the team into the EZ in a two minute drill or have a teammate fail him (Looney tried last week) when bringing them back.  But thus far in his career, he's been clutch when needed.  

He's still 25 years old so I'm sure they see future growth.  He's a hard worker and hopefully can work on his multiple deficiencies as Tony did.  At age 25, Romo still hadn't played a snap in this league, let alone played in the playoffs.  Tony was a very good QB, anyone arguing this is simplistic.  But folks seem to remember a fully realized Tony, which was until he was realistically 31 (INT% consistently down, completion % consistently up), when he really learned to manage a game and became one of the best two minute artists in the league.  I'm sure the Cowboys probably hope Dak can evolve as well, where he's way ahead of Tony's curve in terms of experience.  Tony's career year was when he was 34. 

Still need a system/scheme change IMO for Dak to thrive.  

They need to get him an actual coach if they hope to see him evolve fully.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

And fucking DeMarco would've scored on that play too..But you're right it was all Romo's fault!! Fucking Romo!!

46 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

also someone said our coach was going threw growing pains,  nah he just doesnt know how to coach,  Dak is having growing pains, Garrett is out of his league 

The reason I said the coaches were on a learning curve (still, dammit):

Ginger - still makes rookie mistakes, but learned enough to go for it on fourth and one in OT last week.

Linehan - Just gotta believe that today's Linehan would have given Zeke one shot at the ball against a tired Green Bay defense in that last drive (the one where we left too much time on the clock for Rogers).

Ginger will likely survive this season, but I'd say Linehan's job is on the line in these next 3-6 games.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

How many years does Garrett get to grow anyway? Aikman was infinitely more accurate than Dak is.

They either need to replace Linehan and his pet monkey Kellen or Dak needs to learn quickly how to call the game from the line. Your new receiver comes in and says the reason we scored those TDs late was because we stopped running the constant stop routes that the idiot OC kept calling. What more of a sign do you need? Hopefully Dak realized it and will either audible more of just flat ignore Linehan and call different plays in the huddle the way Romo used to do. 

tenor.gif
Can you please post these facts you speak of?

You can’t compare passing stats in today’s nfl with other eras. If you knew anything about football you would already know this. With the changes in defensive rules and protecting the QB rules it’s way easier to post passing stats now versus the past.

You probably think Roger Staubach and Don Meredith were pretty good QB’s, and you would be right, now go look at their passing stats and tell me how much they sucked.

If you can’t see that Aikman used to put the ball in perfect windows where his targets didn’t have to break stride. Compare that to Dak where pretty much every ball requires the target to make a big adjustment which knocks them off stride or he flats overthrows wide open targets. Aikman didn’t do that shit.

Dak is a gamer and I like him but don’t go throwing out some percentage point better passing accuracy stat in today’s game and tell em he was more accurate that Aikman. You just have to watch them play
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

For many in the generation of Cowboys fans who came of age during the late 90s after the Super Bowl wins and through 2000s I can understand why they hold Romo up as a some sort of legend.  His story from rookie free agent QB to nearly a consistent all-pro level is awe-inspiring, but without any real team achievements on his ledger he's basically Archie Manning. There are a number of examples of truly elite QBs putting flawed teams on their backs and taking their teams deep into the playoffs.  Rodgers sole super bowl win came with a team that led the league in games lost to injury by starters.  Warner got to a Super Bowl with an 8-8 squad. Romo definitely overcame a lot to make us competitive,  but that was the ceiling of what he could muster.  And for fans of an organization with 5 superbowl championships,  8 conference championships, and an ungodly number of division championships the elevation of Romo as some sort of Cowboy diety is overwrought. We're not Cleveland or Detroit. Give it a rest already.

Oh good lord, no. Archie Manning was a middling NFL QB at best. Though he made two Pro Bowls, only twice in his entire career did he throw more TD passes than picks. His career QB rating is 67.1.

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

You can’t compare passing stats in today’s nfl with other eras. If you knew anything about football you would already know this. With the changes in defensive rules and protecting the QB rules it’s way easier to post passing stats now versus the past.

You probably think Roger Staubach and Don Meredith were pretty good QB’s, and you would be right, now go look at their passing stats and tell me how much they sucked.

If you can’t see that Aikman used to put the ball in perfect windows where his targets didn’t have to break stride. Compare that to Dak where pretty much every ball requires the target to make a big adjustment which knocks them off stride or he flats overthrows wide open targets. Aikman didn’t do that shit.

Dak is a gamer and I like him but don’t go throwing out some percentage point better passing accuracy stat in today’s game and tell em he was more accurate that Aikman. You just have to watch them play

No, people like you just use revisionist history and the old "players of old are better than the players today" shtick.

I don't give a flying fuck what the rules were and I'm not using CMP%, passing yards, Y/A, or any other arbitrary metric. How about the simple fundamental goal of football which is to score TDs.

Through the first 45 games of Aikman's career: 39 passing TDs, 55 INTs

Through the first 45 games of Dak's career: 62 passing TDs, 24 INTs

I don't care what "get off my lawn", "these guys today couldn't do what they are doing 20 years ago" old man argument you use. That isn't even close. Aikman was along for the ride on Cowboys teams that were built on elite defense and hand the ball to Emmitt 25-30 times a game. Not to mention Aikman always rose to the occasion in the postseason. He was Eli Manning before Eli Manning.

The only reason Troy is in the HOF is because he was a tough SOB and those teams he had around him from 1992-1996 were damn good.

No, people like you just use revisionist history and the old "players of old are better than the players today" shtick.
I don't give a flying fuck what the rules were and I'm not using CMP%, passing yards, Y/A, or any other arbitrary metric. How about the simple fundamental goal of football which is to score TDs.
Through the first 45 games of Aikman's career: 39 passing TDs, 55 INTs
Through the first 45 games of Dak's career: 62 passing TDs, 24 INTs
I don't care what "get off my lawn", "these guys today couldn't do what they are doing 20 years ago" old man argument you use. That isn't even close. Aikman was along for the ride on Cowboys teams that were built on elite defense and hand the ball to Emmitt 25-30 times a game. Not to mention Aikman always rose to the occasion in the postseason. He was Eli Manning before Eli Manning.
The only reason Troy is in the HOF is because he was a tough SOB and those teams he had around him from 1992-1996 were damn good.

So idiot you’re actually comparing Aikmans 1-12 1989 cowboys team in his rookie year and Daks rookie year when he inherited the best line in football and maybe in a decade? That tells me all I need to know. You’re a moron, so argue with someone else, try someone who has never played or watched football and maybe you can snow them
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

So idiot you’re actually comparing Aikmans 1-12 1989 cowboys team in his rookie year and Daks rookie year when he inherited the best line in football and maybe in a decade? That tells me all I need to know. You’re a moron, so argue with someone else, try someone who has never played or watched football and maybe you can snow them

No, you take it with a grain of salt, the 1989 Dallas team was one of the worst football teams I have ever seen take a football field. That being said don't shit in my yard and tell me it is a chocolate cupcake. Don't tell me Troy Aikman was Chris Kyle with a football when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Only an idiot who didn't watch the game watched those 90's Cowboys teams an went "wow, Troy is just dicing defenses up, slinging the Cowboys to wins". Troy was Eli Manning. Pedestrian numbers and a guy who elevated his game when it mattered.

EDIT: And no I'm not saying that Dak is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I just laugh at the revisionist history that is used to discuss players who used to play and how all their deficiencies and ill's are forgotten.

Edited by chase25
  • Fuck You 1

I agree with some of chase's points. While a sure-fire HOF'er in my estimation, Aikman wouldn't be the first QB I'd take if I'm hand-picking somebody to build my team around. Brett Favre, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, John Elway and Dan Marino were all better QBs than Aikman save for maybe the back-to-back championship years. They were all asked to do more than Troy. But Aikman was very, very good when he needed to be. Let's not forget he played behind the best line in football and had weapons such as Emmitt, Irvin and Novacek on offense.

Edited by C-Man