Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It seems like Dak has the leadership qualities you want in a franchise qb. He has better skills than anyone will give him credit for, but he’s inconsistent as hell. We definitely don’t know if he is, or isn’t a franchise qb though. Not yet, depending on your definition of a franchise qb.

I agree with this. He's just now starting to take the reins of what would be Dak's team. The offense could still use more tweaks, and a TE that is a real offensive weapon would really help, as well as a stable offensive line.

13 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Pretty good discussion about a Dak extension.  

It's all moot because he's gonna get extended.  

Sturm makes a great argument for extending him and calls him a B+ QB.  

Take a listen.  Sturms the best imo

Dak is definitely B+. If Linehan can figure out how to better utilize his legs, Dak will be performing at an A level. If no opposing coach can figure out how to counter that, and if the D can continue to perform at last Thursday's level, we could be very dangerous.

Zeke is gonna Zeke. I think Prescott and Linehan are the keys to taking this team to the next level. It could feasibly happen this year.

dak isn’t a B+ quarterback.  fwiw sturm said he was at least a B- quarterback by any metric available, not necessarily B+.  

with a B+ quarterback this offense scores more points and we win more games.  when mike white is named the backup next year the picture will become clearer for more of you.  ginger will worm him into the game at opportune times early in the season and he’ll kill it and eventually it will become obvious and white will be named the guy.  he’s perfect for the offense and will excel in the screen game and on short passes with zeke but he’s also got a cannon to hit amari downfield.  it’s going to happen and I want this put on record for eternity.  

dak isn’t a B+ quarterback.  fwiw sturm said he was at least a B- quarterback by any metric available, not necessarily B+.  
with a B+ quarterback this offense scores more points and we win more games.  when mike white is named the backup next year the picture will become clearer for more of you.  ginger will worm him into the game at opportune times early in the season and he’ll kill it and eventually it will become obvious and white will be named the guy.  he’s perfect for the offense and will excel in the screen game and on short passes with zeke but he’s also got a cannon to hit amari downfield.  it’s going to happen and I want this put on record for eternity.  
Mike White fucking sucks and so does your schtick about that spare.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
51 minutes ago, futureman said:

Mike White fucking sucks and so does your schtick about that spare.

fuck you.  I think dak sucks and white will start.  why the fuck did we draft him.  if he doesn’t I’ll eat crow.  when he does you can bend over and fuck yourself. 

6 hours ago, futureman said:

fuck you.  I think dak sucks and white will start.  why the fuck did we draft him.  if he doesn’t I’ll eat crow.  when he does you can bend over and fuck yourself. 

Fuck you.   We drafted him so we didn’t have to compete with anyone to sign him in FA.   He was a 5th round throwaway pick.  A lotto ticket.   He’s not very good at all.   

Edited by Trey3216

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'd like to see Dak in a different system.... one with more spread principles and creativity.  Again, I think the scheme we use sucks.

This.  I think Dak has great potential, just don’t believe he’s had the coaching to reach it yet.  Not going to happen apparently but a Kliff K type OC could do wonders for DP.  

Wentz went 19 of 33, 156 yds with 3 interceptions against the Saints. Dak 24 of 28, 250 yards - no picks. Those are some great fucking numbers against one of the top two or three teams in the league. Does anyone think the difference was Linehan and Garrett? Dak missed one big pass that might well have been the fault of a young receiver.

Dak is B+ to A, in my book. Looking forward to Sunday afternoon. Should be one helluva battle.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Wentz went 19 of 33, 156 yds with 3 interceptions against the Saints. Dak 24 of 28, 250 yards - no picks. Those are some great fucking numbers against one of the top two or three teams in the league. Does anyone think the difference was Linehan and Garrett? Dak missed one big pass that might well have been the fault of a young receiver.

Dak is B+ to A, in my book. Looking forward to Sunday afternoon. Should be one helluva battle.

Priority number 1 for Jerry this off-season (assuming JG stays) is to find an OC to better maximize Dak.*

*Excluding FA

18 hours ago, DougO said:

I would always draft a QB every two or three years regardless of situation. If there's a guy in the second, third, fourth round that looks like he could be something, take him. Maybe he doesn't have elite skills, but he's got a real knack, quick release and brains, which is what usually makes the real difference. He can always be a backup or trade bait, like Garapolo. Or he can beat out your guy. Or he could be Dak Prescott. For the investment he didn't turn out to be so bad.

This was the long-time Packers philosophy and Belichick has even done it some with the Pats. Take a guy every draft for one of the reasons you state on the off chance he actually turns out to be a great find. Play him during the preseason and if he plays well against second/third-teamers so opposing GM might foolishly give you a better draft pick than you used to draft the guy in the first place.

18 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'd like to see Dak in a different system.... one with more spread principles and creativity.  Again, I think the scheme we use sucks.

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

This.  I think Dak has great potential, just don’t believe he’s had the coaching to reach it yet.  Not going to happen apparently but a Kliff K type OC could do wonders for DP.  

6 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Priority number 1 for Jerry this off-season (assuming JG stays) is to find an OC to better maximize Dak.*

*Excluding FA

All of this.  I was totally against bringing Linehan back last year, and I'll be screaming if they do it again.  I've never been in the "they'll never do anything with Garrett" Crowd, because we've seen signs of things with him.  Yes he can be better.  Yes they can upgrade, but in the end the BIGGEST issue is the OC and playcalling.  Always has been.

Get a new guy with fresh ideas and a better system, and this team, especially Dak, takes back.

Garrett's best attribute, by far, is somehow keeping the players from quitting on him. That's even more impressive/discouraging when you factor all of his game day coaching shortcomings and fuckups that still happen regularly. 

That said, he's rebounded yet again and has them playing for the division this weekend. Win and you're almost guaranteed to win the division even if you lost the last 3 games. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Priority number 1 for Jerry this off-season (assuming JG stays) is to find an OC and a veteran QB coach to better maximize Dak and refine his skillset.*

*Excluding FA

Fify.

Keep Kellen in the organization for his potential as a play calling savant down the road (supposedly play design creativity is where he excels), but he has no business being a QB coach at this point in his career.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So an Eagles linebacker comments that Dak is a choker or the Cowboys are chokers. Won't hurt to have a little extra incentive to put the world champs in their place on Sunday. The D needs to put a lot of pressure on Wentz to make sure he doesn't burn us with the long ball.

have you watched a goddamn game in the last 25 goddamn years?  until we do more than fart and fall down when it matters other teams can say whatever the hell they want.  who gives a shit anyway

36 minutes ago, futureman said:

have you watched a goddamn game in the last 25 goddamn years?  until we do more than fart and fall down when it matters other teams can say whatever the hell they want.  who gives a shit anyway

Has anybody ever accused Garrett of getting his teams TOO hyped up about a game. He undercoaches. He should be called The Undercoach. This is a young team. Something like being called Chokers might be just what they need to stick their fists down the throats of these primadonnas.

I don’t know why I do this to myself, but I’m starting to become overly confident about today. I just think since cooper and the rest of the WRs fell into their roles, we can manufacture enough offense to beat any team with this defense. Eagles season on the line, backs against the wall, blah blah blah. With the way both teams are currently constructed, we are so much better than them. Take your biggest division rival, the “defending super bowl champs”, and put your foot on their throats today 

I don’t know why I do this to myself, but I’m starting to become overly confident about today. I just think since cooper and the rest of the WRs fell into their roles, we can manufacture enough offense to beat any team with this defense. Eagles season on the line, backs against the wall, blah blah blah. With the way both teams are currently constructed, we are so much better than them. Take your biggest division rival, the “defending super bowl champs”, and put your foot on their throats today 

Ginger has no concept of “putting your foot on their throat.” If we win it’ll be close. Like NO where we were crushing them and gave them a good chance to win it in the 4th.

• Like 2

There's zero excuse to lose this game today. Defense is stacked. eagles defense is wrecked with their secondary being probably the worst in the game at the moment. Winning this game pretty much locks up division. Everything there for the taking against a team you out man and are better than at the moment. 

If they lose this game it's another Garrett failure in a big game they had no excuse to lose.  

I've thought that his future is a Tyrone Crawford replacement.

Same.

Also, anyone else watching the colts/Texans to see who we gotta play next week? Colts look good at halftime.

Oh, and looks like the Giants offense has woken up. Barkley legit looks like a game breaker who could go to the house any time he touches the ball.

Dallas can and should beat both, but it’ll be tougher than we probably think.