Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

25 million AAV is fine for Dak.  It depends on the guarantees and length.  That's below Garoppolo and Cousins, who signed last year and equal with a guy like Derek Carr.  Above scrubs like Bortles and Case Keenum, who are 18 millionish.  If folks think we're signing Dak for 20 million AAV, they're fucking drunk.  Hell, Teddy Bridgewater is probably going to get a couple of years for 15/16 million and he hasn't played in 3 years.  Guys coming up for FA in 2020, who aren't over 35, are dudes like Russ Wilson, Winston, Mariota and then older guys like Brees (opt out after this year I think), Rivers, and Ben.  

Rodgers is making over 33 million AAV and will make at least 31 million the first two years in guarantees.  Guys like Mahomes and Wentz will eventually break the bank towards 32-35 million.  If Dak gets something like 5 for 125-130 with say 66 million in guarantees over the first 3 years, then that makes sense with market.  May be more towards 70.   

It'll be interesting to see what guys like Flacco or Teddy get.  One team fucked with QBs is Washington with Alex Smith's deal hanging over them.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If Dak gets something like 5 for 125-130 with say 66 million in guarantees over the first 3 years, then that makes sense with market.  May be more towards 70.

Then I think I'm out if that's the price. I haven't seen enough out of him to warrant committing to $22M+ for three additional years right now.

I agree they likely drop another game and maybe 2, but why leave it to chance?  Win this weekend and it's pretty much done.  Step on their throats.  

Yep this game is pretty much the division for us if we win.  

And I might fear the Giants on the road than I do the Colts on the road at this point.

Lol, it’s like you guys have been folllwing a different team all these years. Even if we can beat philly, this team could easily lose out even with a weak closing schedule. Philly are still defending champs and could get going. If we’ve learned anything about this franchise it’s that Ginger is weak as shit against weak teams and we have no concept of “stepping on their throats.” Both during games and during seasons. We did everything in our power to give NO the game. We made a few plays at the end and got some calls but luck played a big role. Bottom line beating philly means nothing. We’d be just as likely to lose to Indy the next weak.

To;dr. Ginger is a faget and would probably blow the rest of December.

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, it’s like you guys have been folllwing a different team all these years. Even if we can beat philly, this team could easily lose out even with a weak closing schedule. Philly are still defending champs and could get going. If we’ve learned anything about this franchise it’s that Ginger is weak as shit against weak teams and we have no concept of “stepping on their throats.” Both during games and during seasons. We did everything in our power to give NO the game. We made a few plays at the end and got some calls but luck played a big role. Bottom line beating philly means nothing. We’d be just as likely to lose to Indy the next weak.

If we win this weekend, we couldn't lose to Philly, because at best they could only tie us and we would have the H2H tiebreaker.  Washington would still be alive mathematically but they have to roll with Sanchize, they're done.  Giants could run the table and theoretically could tie us, which would then go to conference tiebreaker.  Giants/Philly play one more time, so one of them will be eliminated however.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Who fucking cares about the whole defending champs narrative. That was last year Have you actually watched Philly? They are a shell of that team in every aspect.. 12 games in and they are 6-6. They got beat by the Saints by almost 40. That aren't going to flip some magical switch and get back to last year. Eagles have as much chance to win it all this year as Dallas.

Dallas is not losing out if we beat Philly. Stop.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If we win this weekend, we couldn't lose to Philly, because at best they could only tie us and we would have the H2H tiebreaker.  Washington would still be alive mathematically but they have to roll with Sanchize, they're done.  Giants could run the table and theoretically could tie us, which would then go to conference tiebreaker.  Giants/Philly play one more time, so one of them will be eliminated however.

FTR, I'm counting Philly loses @ the Rams.... which in my mind is a forgone conclusion.  

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
41 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:
FTR, I'm counting Philly loses @ the Rams.... which in my mind is a forgone conclusion.  

I think Houston beats them too. Their defense is legit.

It's at Philly though and while the Texans are a solid team, they haven't beaten one team over .500 on their run besides the Cowboys.  3 6-6 teams.  3 4 win teams.  And the Texans have to go to the East Coast two weeks in a row so the travel will be rough.  Going to the Rams will be the biggest test, IMO.  Again, we beat them this weekend and I think we take their soul.  Rams bury them and we don't have to worry about Prince Harry and the Iggles.

The fecals are about where the Cowboys were last week against NO. They need to win really bad. It can be a season changer, even though they have a tough road ahead.

The Cowboys could just about put them away as far as the division...though I'm sure they would find a way to make it far more interesting than it should be.

Division rivals are always tough to beat twice, and the Cowboys home field isn't so much of an advantage.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Who fucking cares about the whole defending champs narrative. That was last year Have you actually watched Philly? They are a shell of that team in every aspect.. 12 games in and they are 6-6. They got beat by the Saints by almost 40. That aren't going to flip some magical switch and get back to last year. Eagles have as much chance to win it all this year as Dallas.

Dallas is not losing out if we beat Philly. Stop.

Dallas has a better chance of winning out than losing out.   

26 minutes ago, DougO said:

The fecals are about where the Cowboys were last week against NO. They need to win really bad. It can be a season changer, even though they have a tough road ahead.

The Cowboys could just about put them away as far as the division...though I'm sure they would find a way to make it far more interesting than it should be.

Division rivals are always tough to beat twice, and the Cowboys home field isn't so much of an advantage.

It’s beginning to be more of a home field since everyone in the league has now played at the stadium. The spectacle has worn a bit so that keeps 5-10% of the crew that would show from the opposition from showing.   

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Pretty good discussion about a Dak extension.  

It's all moot because he's gonna get extended.  

Sturm makes a great argument for extending him and calls him a B+ QB.  

Take a listen.  Sturms the best imo

Gives Dak the most guaranteed money in NFL history for 5 years but takes only 10% of cap

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Aren’t the teams with like the 5 highest paid qbs all sucking this year?

Seems like a harsh reality but evidence suggests paying your QB max money doesn’t turn out well.

It's the most important position, but he's still 1 of 53, 1 of 11 when on the field, and not even on the field half the time.  In a hard cap league you can't devote so much percentage of your cap to a QB and expect to win superbowls.  They'll keep you relevant year in and out but there will always be more complete teams out there that catch fire.

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Just seems to me that the evidence says if you pay max $ for the qb you can’t afford other pieces. The good long term qbs who’ve had success with their teams are making less than max $ - Ben, Brady, Brees, etc.

That's why Sturms argument makes so much sense for Dallas.  

Seems like this team wins and loses when they shouldn't, so I expect a loss to Philly. On Monday, We'll all be bitching about how tinkering with the defense was dumb and crying for Sean Lee to retire.

But if we don't follow that pattern, and we do beat the team we should, then I think there will be some real optimism about our chances of getting hot in December and rolling into the playoffs John wick style

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I'm surprised at some of you expecting Dallas to win this weekend.

Have you not been watching for the last 20 years? 

This is the exact kind of game Garrett loses. 

Cautious optimism here.  Remember, this team took it to Philly on the road when the Eagles were coming off a bye week.   The defense has improved and played better in the 3 games since then, and Amari Cooper is settling in comfortably.   Matter of fact, Amari is enabling this team to optimize offensively and he’s still getting open at will.   This has enabled Dak to play better and Zeke to go wild.  

I think this this could be a turning point to a new version of the Cowboys

I'm surprised at some of you expecting Dallas to win this weekend.
Have you not been watching for the last 20 years? 
This is the exact kind of game Garrett loses. 

This is our concern, dude. The talk of winning the division has been “if” we beat philly. I agree this is the exact type of game Ginger fucks up with regularity. And my point has been even if we win Ginger still has three weeks to fuck it all up as usual.

19 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Cautious optimism here.  Remember, this team took it to Philly on the road when the Eagles were coming off a bye week.   The defense has improved and played better in the 3 games since then, and Amari Cooper is settling in comfortably.   Matter of fact, Amari is enabling this team to optimize offensively and he’s still getting open at will.   This has enabled Dak to play better and Zeke to go wild.  

I think this this could be a turning point to a new version of the Cowboys

Don't do this to yourself.  

• Haha 1

"cautious optimism" lol what in the last 10 years gives you optimism?  anytime this team does give you a reason to have some optimism, they blow it....always.  I've gotten to the point where I don't get my hopes up EVER with the Cowboys and it allows me to relax and enjoy the season so much more.  And hey, if we get into the playoffs, awesome.  But if we don't, at least I won't have the stress along the way.  That being said, I do like where the team is heading right now and some of the improvements they've made over the last few weeks and the Cooper trade has certainly helped but like I said, they'll find a way to blow it 

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Pretty good discussion about a Dak extension.  

It's all moot because he's gonna get extended.  

Sturm makes a great argument for extending him and calls him a B+ QB.  

Take a listen.  Sturms the best imo

Yep, that's what I was talking about above.  Good link.

Gives Dak the most guaranteed money in NFL history for 5 years but takes only 10% of cap

Yep, it gives them the flashy headline of most "guaranteed money" but when you actually look at the contract, it's not prohibitive at all, and actually helps the Cowboys pay other players by keeping his ACV to around 16.6 mil, while still paying him overall like a starting QB.  Best of both worlds for him and the TEam.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Aren’t the teams with like the 5 highest paid qbs all sucking this year?

Seems like a harsh reality but evidence suggests paying your QB max money doesn’t turn out well.

Which is why they're not paying him Max money in this scenario. And I hope they actually do something similar.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Sturm broke it down pretty well but the cost of doing business for a QB is incredibly high.  Obviously. Stafford makes 27 mil.  

Yep, you gotta pay for even average to good starters.  Can't get away without it more than a few years at most(ask Seattle and Baltimore)

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Just seems to me that the evidence says if you pay max $ for the qb you can’t afford other pieces. The good long term qbs who’ve had success with their teams are making less than max $ - Ben, Brady, Brees, etc.

Which again, in this scenario, they wouldn't be paying him like a Max QB. Nor should they.  But you're going to have to pay him.  They're not bad enough to get into the top 5 after next season to get a top QB.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

That's why Sturms argument makes so much sense for Dallas.  

Agreed.

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Me too.  He should be in. It's a bit of a travesty he isn't already in.

12 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I don’t even know why you guys are talking about this  

It is Jerrah. He will do the stupidest, most fucked up decision just like he always does. 

Sure, like going all in and trading for Cooper which basically saved the season.

Or going to get Richard, who has revitalized the defense/secondary. Or getting rid of Alexander and replacing him with Columbo which improved the OL play with 3 backups starting.

I'm not going to claim he's smart, or makes all the right moves.  But when it comes to personnel decisions, he(or at least the combo of him/Stephen/Will McClay)is hitting at a high clip the past 5-6 years.

Edited by Drew

1 minute ago, Drew said:

I'm not going to claim he's smart, or makes all the right moves.  But when it comes to personnel decisions, he(or at least the combo of him/Stephen/Will McClay)is hitting at a high clip the past 5-6 years.

So Jerry is a good GM now? The last 22 years disagree with you. 

Ha.  He's totally cheating with the numbers.  He wants to use 180 million cap (which it'll be slighly higher than in 2020) but wants to insert next year's number, which Dak is already signed at to make his case stronger.  Sorry, can't do that.  20 million would be slightly more than the expected cap of 185-188 millionish.  The risk is injury (like Redskins are finding out) or if Dak doesn't improve the next 2 years.  Then you'd have 4 years left of cap hell.  So, yes it helps the percentage of cap over that span but then you're tied to Dak for the next 5 years (last year you could probably find another solution), no matter what.  I understand the logic, but the risk isn't built in the dollars, it's built into the length of the contract and it's a lot of risk.

28 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

So Jerry is a good GM now? The last 22 years disagree with you. 

If you're asking if Jerry is good NOW, then yes...or at least the combo of him/Stephen/Will McClay, are.  If you're asking if it erased 15-18 years of bad GMing, then of course not.

All you can say is they've done a hell of a job building this team and making moves for a while now.  From the Drafts, to the off season moves, to stealing guys from other practice squads(Irving), they've done a good job. Not enough to get them over the hump, but you can see the light at the nd of the tunnel.

Edited by Drew

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

I like Dak, especially as a person. Not sure he's franchise-quarterback material. I like Sturm's idea. He just seems like he still misses way too many easy passes. 

The problem is, much like with Romo, perception is reality with fans/media.  They started saying Romo was a "choker" when all stats proved otherwise.  Dude had way too many game winning drives and comebacks to have that label.

Now people think Dak misses way too many throws(he does miss some, but hasn't been nearly as bad as people assume), and now people think it's fact.  QB's miss throws like Dak missed all the time. It's just that Dak is being over scrutinized, especially by the Romo fans who hate him and the narrative has taken a life of it's own IMO.

They don’t utilize dak to his maximum effectiveness because that requires 10 or so called qb runs a game to dictate lb and de play and positioning. 

Going from a 700k player to a 20MM player certainly won’t help them increase his running. 

Hes not elway and he’s not Rodgers, he can’t only run when flushed from the pocket. 

I would always draft a QB every two or three years regardless of situation. If there's a guy in the second, third, fourth round that looks like he could be something, take him. Maybe he doesn't have elite skills, but he's got a real knack, quick release and brains, which is what usually makes the real difference. He can always be a backup or trade bait, like Garapolo. Or he can beat out your guy. Or he could be Dak Prescott. For the investment he didn't turn out to be so bad.

Edited by DougO