Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

Weekly? He had a horrible game. He dug a hole and stated unburying himself and then with help from Amari played his way out of it.

But the book on Dak is he’s too scared to make a mistake and usually doesn’t and people say he can’t win shoutouts. Yesterday was an outlier. Not a weekly thing.

He seems to get strip sacked at least once a week

11 minutes ago, Nope said:

Fucking this. These are worst than ints IMO, and they aren’t mentioned enough in regards to Dak protecting the football. Either find away to have more awareness in the pocket, or acknowledge that this is one of your biggest flaws and be more careful in said pocket. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nope said:

He's been horrible fumbling this year, no excuses.  But the OL has been abysmal pass blocking, we're now 31st in pass blocking per FO.  Martin was playing on one leg, Tyron is playing with a bad back, Frederick is gone for the season.  Those are our best OL.  Depending on Martin's status and I expect him to miss a game or two, we have a huge OL problem.  

• Like 1

Um. That's horsehit. NFC has 2 legit teams in the Rams and Saints. Outside of that it's a FFA. 
AFC has the Chiefs, Steelers, Pats, Texans and Chargers who are all looking super salty as potential SB teams.
Huh? This sounds ignorant as fuck. You prop up the Steelers, who just lost to the Raiders, the Pats who lost to the Titans and Dolphins but shit on the NFC? Lulz.
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No..... Washington is still technically in it, even if we win next week.  But realistically, yes, if the Rams beat Philly or we beat the Colts, it's pretty much over.... Both would be great, leave no doubt.

I don't think that is correct. If the Cowboys only win one more game they would be 9-7 and if the redskins win out they would also be 9-7. We split the head to head, so the second tiebraker is wins in the division right?

We're 4-1 so if the Giants beat us. we would 4-2. If the Redskins win out they would be 3-3.

Isn't that it? Or what am I missing?

Just now, Jameslaw121 said:

I don't think that is correct. If the Cowboys only win one more game they would be 9-7 and if the redskins win out they would also be 9-7. We split the head to head, so the second tiebraker is wins in the division right?

We're 4-1 so if the Giants beat us. we would 4-2. If the Redskins win out they would be 3-3.

Isn't that it? Or what am I missing?

Yep.... I forgot the Giants pasted Washington yesterday.  One more win and we're in.

Only QB with more wins than Dak since he's entered the league is Tom Brady. Don't think this means he's elite or anything but thought it was interesting. Dak still being on a 4th rounder contract obviously plays a big part.

All about keeping his contract reasonable whether we can have success beyond next season with him. 

This season has been fun after Cooper came to town. Props to Jerry for finally getting a WR trade right. Very well probably won us the NFC East this year.

• Like 1

The OL without Martin has me worried.  Looney was reasonably solid until yesterday.  we need Smith to get back on his game to end the season and then start looking hard in the offseason for how to replace him in the next 2 to 3 years.  he's only 27 but just horrible luck with the back situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's been horrible fumbling this year, no excuses.  But the OL has been abysmal pass blocking, we're now 31st in pass blocking per FO.  Martin was playing on one leg, Tyron is playing with a bad back, Frederick is gone for the season.  Those are our best OL.  Depending on Martin's status and I expect him to miss a game or two, we have a huge OL problem.  

Agreed. The sacks are mostly on the OL but fumbles are on Dak.

I hope folks aren't losing focus on we still need a new offensive coordinator and system regardless of what the outcome of this season is (besides a SB win).  As being discussed around Cowboy sites, some of our biggest plays are unscripted or audibles.  Amari Cooper, who has only been here 6 weeks, recognizes how poor the play calling can be at times.  

One of the more incredible plays that Cooper had against Philadelphia was his 75-yard touchdown. The Cowboys were in need of a scoring drive and Cooper made that quite easy. After the game he discussed the play and how it actually only happened thanks to Dak Prescott.

It’s interesting because I actually had another stop route on that play and they were, if you were watching, really sitting on those stop routes. And I was like, this is ridiculous. So when I broke the huddle I was kind of mad and I was like, Dak come on. And he was just like, just run it bro. And I guess he thought about it again and he kind of signaled a go route and I was elated when he did that. And I took off, caught the ball, and scored.

Wow, what a fucking surprise.  Another stop route called by Scotty.  Shocking.  Huge balls by Dak to say "fuck it, and audible out".  Philly's secondary was playing up and press a lot and needed to be challenged.

• Like 2

Well Jason Garrett is obviously not going anywhere after this season damn it.  Dude was one of the favorites to be the 1st coach fired in the season and finds a way to go on a 5 game win streak and save his ass once again.  But for Christ's sakes, please don't bring Linehan back.  Can't take another year of this.    

• Like 1

If that’s what you meant, then yeah.

He does get sacked a lot leading to a lot of fumbles. It goes hand in hand really. The most sacked QBs do fumble more and he needs to stop. He has a habit of hanging on too long, and not running quick enough , but his OL is not good this season and it’s not helping at all. Injuries and sub par play.

This. Yes it’s important for Dak to hang onto the ball. As said above no excuses.

I will say, however, people are ignoring the really bad protection and lack of time he’s getting. All I see are “Dak should have taken off or he held on to the ball too long” and he does do those things and it’s infuriating at times. But a lot of those sacks are because of protection. The cowboys have an unhealthy OL. Playing a bunch of decent to league average backups will have that happen.

Agreed. The sacks are mostly on the OL but fumbles are on Dak.

They usually go hand in hand. Look at all the fumble leaders in years past. Most are QBs and most were sacked a shit ton. Believe Bob Sturm pointed that out.

If he cut his fumbles in half(and that should be reasonable, he still fumbles more than we should accept) being sacked as much as he does, it would be a great thing.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

If that’s what you meant, then yeah.

He does get sacked a lot leading to a lot of fumbles. It goes hand in hand really. The most sacked QBs do fumble more and he needs to stop. He has a habit of hanging on too long, and not running quick enough , but his OL is not good this season and it’s not helping at all. Injuries and sub par play.

Yeah, “Dak-cident” is my catch-all phrase for when he turns the ball over

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Anyone remember the Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, and Chad Hutchinson days? I would rather keep Dak if he will sign a reasonable deal. If we have to break the bank then obv we're in trouble.

Fun ass seasons with Dak. Last year wasn't interesting but he's a winner.

Don't forget Vinny Testaverde, washed-up Drew Bledsoe, Anthony Wright, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf and that aggie bum McGee. JFC those were dark times

Edited by immortal13
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Anyone remember the Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, and Chad Hutchinson days? I would rather keep Dak if he will sign a reasonable deal. If we have to break the bank then obv we're in trouble.

Fun ass seasons with Dak. Last year wasn't interesting but he's a winner.

I was listening to babers on 104.9 and he said we have to pay him and that he will be the highest paid qb. I guess his rational was that he would have the most recent negotiation and with the cap going up every year. I think he’s off on highest paid, but we are going to have to pay him more than he warrants. 

I like dak. I like a lot of the things he does and he seems to be at his best in crunch time. He doesn’t seem to get down when he makes a mistake. He obviously has to improve his mechanics. I think that will help in his accuracy. When I see him throw the ball it usually seems like his body is fading away or he’s jumping. His first year that spin move to avoid pressure worked(I think, hard to remember), but the last season plus it’s gotten him in trouble as defenses now know his tendencies. The last couple of games I haven’t seen that spin move as much, if at all. So, I think he’s working hard at his pocket presence.

I would love to see a new OC who has complete control of the offense next year before we sign dak to a new contact. I don’t know what the front office was thinking about going into this year with a dak friendly offense with sub-par receivers and no tight end. Dak heavily depended on Witten.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

How many holding penalties did the fecals' O-line have?

They had an illegal block in the back on a good run. Same penalty yardage as holding although not technically holding.

Better question is, how many holding penalties do our opponents have when they drop back to pass?

Wentz hasn't regressed. The fecals just don't have the defense they had last year, and they gave up on the running game. Wentz is Wentz. Every qb looks better when they have a strong balanced team around them.

And Wentz isn't the guy that won the Superbowl last year. Foles was better at throwing over the top and taking advantage of guys like Alshon, the offense took on a different vibe. Foles isn't a better qb, but it was a better balance for them at the time. Wentz is a line drive dart thrower, not a touch and timing guy. He throws to open receivers when they're open. He hasn't proven to be the kind of qb that anticipates and throws guys open.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Wentz hasn't regressed. The fecals just don't have the defense they had last year, and they gave up on the running game. Wentz is Wentz. Every qb looks better when they have a strong balanced team around them.

And Wentz isn't the guy that won the Superbowl last year. Foles was better at throwing over the top and taking advantage of guys like Alshon, the offense took on a different vibe. Foles isn't a better qb, but it was a better balance for them at the time. Wentz is a line drive dart thrower, not a touch and timing guy. He throws to open receivers when they're open. He hasn't proven to be the kind of qb that anticipates and throws guys open.

Finally someone who has some reason. And not the blind people who crown this dude who hasn't accomplished shit. He's not a bad QB but holy shit, people overrate him like crazy. 

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I hope folks aren't losing focus on we still need a new offensive coordinator and system regardless of what the outcome of this season is (besides a SB win).  As being discussed around Cowboy sites, some of our biggest plays are unscripted or audibles.  Amari Cooper, who has only been here 6 weeks, recognizes how poor the play calling can be at times...

Yep and he danced around it in the immediate post game interview where they talked about the OT TD pass. He mentioned the coverage was shaded inside since he likes to run a bunch of slants in the red zone. He tried to influence the defender with an outside step but even then it was too much to overcome. He knew it was lucky to get that bounce for the TD.

Which is why this run is a bit bittersweet. I was hoping to get at least 1 season with Dak under a different OC utilizing some different philosophies but not sure if that will come through. Even if we did get Linehan canned I'm not sure Garrett would really look for an innovative OC candidate.

Funny how the narrative has changed on Garrett. He used to be the Ivy league offensive bookworm brain who wasn't an emotional leader. Nowadays his offensive play designs are straight from neolithic cave diagrams but his one constant trait is that his team's never quits on him.

I think Garrett should be fired barring an NFC championship appearance but even then, I want him gone. But one thing I will give him credit for is how he keeps the team together during tough games. He never gets too high and never gets too low.  He is good as how he connects to the players and how they respond to him. He just can't coach worth a shit. I guess this isn't the time to talk about coaching changes but one is still needed. At the very least, we need a new OC. One who will cater the offense to Dak like all the other OCs do for their QBs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

A new (competent) offensive coordinator would solve our problems. 

One that gets to install his own scheme. And completely scrap Garrett's. Because Linehan is still running Garrett's playbook and scheme. Garrett still has input into the gameplan on a week to week basis. He just doesn't call the plays any longer.

Dak is much better suited for a quick read passing game. Not standing in the pocket waiting for these long routes to develop down the field. Get him moving a lot more, too. 

Garrett is never going to win by outcoaching the guy on the other side. He has no particular xs and os special talent. But his team plays for him, they want to win for him, they don't give up. He seems like he's good with team chemistry and keeping a team focused. I think he could be a decent head coach if he had really talented coordinators on both offense and defense. He's about there with defense, the offensive side definitely needs an overhaul.

It still astounds me that Jerry wouldn't insist on at least a bonafied QB coaching guru to build up Dak. I think now has to realize that the Cowboys need new ideas and a system that suits Dak best, and not so dependent on having a physically dominant offensive line to succeed.

Nothing they're doing with Cooper is rocket science. It's mostly his physical ability to catch a quick pass and make a move to get past a defender then turn on the jets, or blow buy a guy and get open deep. That was a big addition to this offense.

Jarwin's production yesterday was also really nice to see. I hope that is something that has been developing and not just a fluke.

he hasn’t taken over a game ever in his career.  zeke is why we had success in 2016, why we didn’t in 2017, and zeke plus amari have helped us this season.  everything accomplished is in spite of dak.  he cannot produce offense on his own.  if you can’t see that you should change your name to helen keller.  

but, please, don’t let me stop you from apologizing for him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

he hasn’t taken over a game ever in his career.  zeke is why we had success in 2016, why we didn’t in 2017, and zeke plus amari have helped us this season.  everything accomplished is in spite of dak.  he cannot produce offense on his own.  if you can’t see that you should change your name to helen keller.  

Let us know when you've secured Patrick Mahomes..... Otherwise, what's your plan?

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

One that gets to install his own scheme. And completely scrap Garrett's. Because Linehan is still running Garrett's playbook and scheme. Garrett still has input into the gameplan on a week to week basis. He just doesn't call the plays any longer.

Dak is much better suited for a quick read passing game. Not standing in the pocket waiting for these long routes to develop down the field. Get him moving a lot more, too. 

You’ve got cooper talking about running too many slants and 9s, and here you are saying there’s too many long developing routes. 

You want Mike White as QB. No one fucking cares what you think.

I love watching this team win with Dak because it eats you up inside. You would rather this team lose than win with Dak.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

If you're going to say stuff like this at least preface it with the fact that you didn't watch the Divisional Round game against the Packers.

Your Mike White takes always give me a laugh.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

Oh you mean Amari Cooper, that top level receiver they finally got for Dak to throw to? Yeah sometimes that helps for a quarterback to have a guy like that. 

See that wasn't even an apology

Eagles are only a half game out of that wild card, so the ended their season talk might have been premature.

I'd still rather play them than the Vikings or Panthers. The Cowboys never beat the fucking Vikings, Cousins or no Cousins. Same with the Panthers

Good chance we're the 4 seed and run it back with Seattle at our house this time

Edited by cmontexas