Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Dependent on what the issue is, accuracy can absolutely be fixed or improved.  Dak is completing almost 67% of passes so what the fuck are we talking about.  He led the league in tight space accuracy last season despite having a mediocre completion percentage.  He was 24-28 last night.  Dak's accuracy issues are specifically in relation to his footwork when in the pocket.  Like most QBs, he needs a manageable pocket to get his footwork correct and step into his throws.  When he has this pocket, he's extremely accurate.  When he's forced offschedule or to re-set his throwing base, this is when he can get wonky.  Accuracy isn't his issue.  Will he be elite?  Probably not without a scheme change, but he can certainly be good with proper protection.  Dak isn't good enough in making offschedule throws or changing his arm angle like a guy like Rodgers or even Ben.  

Now, anticipation is a tough trait to improve upon.  It can be improved with reps, experience and mastery of defenses and film work but if you don't have it, you may never be elite at it.  This is a Dak issue.  He often needs to see his guy flash.  He'll never have elite anticipation like Tony did.

Dak probably will never be an elite QB but because of his build and legs and competitiveness, he can be a good QB in his prime if he continues to improve.  A lot of folks hate the comparison because of the team, but he was often compared to Donovan McNabb coming out.  You can win big with a prime Donovan McNabb if the team around him is sound.  

It seems to me that his percentage is on the high side because of all the screens and dumps and short passing game. How is he on passes more than 10 yds downfield?  No one who watches Dak on a regular basis will say he is an accurate QB. If you do, you’re biased/kidding yourself.

Then throw in his proclivity for turning the ball over  

Dak will be an average QB at best. One that has to be schemed around to maximize his abilities. Short passes/screens, emphasis on protection so he doesn’t get pushed off his spot.  QB runs looking to run not throw since he can’t throw on run. Etc. 

The turnovers are what worries me . His rookie year, he never turned it over. Now he fumbles like crazy. I don't know what happened. He doesn't have the comfortable savvy in the pocket he did when he first played. He was so smooth. Now he gets happy feet too often and runs himself into sacks. Just throw the ball away. I notice at times when that first read isn't there, he panics. Instead of stepping up in the pocket, he always does that spin and a lot of the time, right into a defender.

Dak can be summed up by 2 plays. They happened back to back I think. 3rd and 10 and he scrambles for 11. Huge play. Not many QBs are making that play. Then misses a wide open Gallup the next play. Not just a step ahead but about 5 yards ahead. Which in the NFL rarely ever happens. He has to make that throw. You can't miss that in the NFL. Or really any level.

Thing is, his QB coach is fucking Kellen Moore. Which is ridiculous. His rookie year, Romo and Sanchez were in his ear, 2 vets. He has no one in his corner now. Coaching matters even in the pros. Look at Goff compared to when he was with Fisher and now McVey. Night and day. Mahomes would not be anything near what he is here under Garrett compared to Reid.

8 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

He hits that one deep ball to Gallup, and he is 25-28 with around 300 yrds and 2 TDs.

Are you talking about the deep ball that he didn't hit? Because that kind of has always been his issue. 

If he was Tom Brady you'd probably win 45-14. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The turnovers are what worries me . His rookie year, he never turned it over. Now he fumbles like crazy. I don't know what happened. He doesn't have the comfortable savvy in the pocket he did when he first played. He was so smooth. Now he gets happy feet too often and runs himself into sacks. Just throw the ball away. I notice at times when that first read isn't there, he panics. Instead of stepping up in the pocket, he always does that spin and a lot of the time, right into a defender.

Dak can be summed up by 2 plays. They happened back to back I think. 3rd and 10 and he scrambles for 11. Huge play. Not many QBs are making that play. Then misses a wide open Gallup the next play. Not just a step ahead but about 5 yards ahead. Which in the NFL rarely ever happens. He has to make that throw. You can't miss that in the NFL. Or really any level.

Thing is, his QB coach is fucking Kellen Moore. Which is ridiculous. His rookie year, Romo and Sanchez were in his ear, 2 vets. He has no one in his corner now. Coaching matters even in the pros. Look at Goff compared to when he was with Fisher and now McVey. Night and day. Mahomes would not be anything near what he is here under Garrett compared to Reid.

I'm seeing a trend between KM initialed quarterbacks and not being allowed to ride the big boy roller coaster. 

9 hours ago, slorch said:

Please cut Randy Gregory, if it has not already been done.

Why?  Dude was dumb, but you could tell he lost his balance and couldn't stop himself.  He probably should have just jogged there and not rushed so hard.

The other penalty was complete bullshit, and he was part of the reason that Brees was rattled so much.  Hate on him for the punt penalty, but it's not enough to kill him over.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

Why?  Dude was dumb, but you could tell he lost his balance and couldn't stop himself.  He probably should have just jogged there and not rushed so hard.

The other penalty was complete bullshit, and he was part of the reason that Brees was rattled so much.  Hate on him for the punt penalty, but it's not enough to kill him over.

Never mind, I saw the previous posts with the actual rules.  I was going off of what I've seen on social media and heard on the radio today who all said it was ticky tack, or that he flat wasn't offsides..

The totality of his alleged service to the Cowboys has been shit.  He's the last person on the roster who could afford such dumbassery, and no, he did not just stumble into the punter.  he was not going to block any punt and should have never been running in that direction in the first place.

garrett's lack of reaction was absolutely what is wrong with this franchise.  If someone makes a hustle mistake, you correct them and tell them to keep their heads up.  When they are deliberately idiotic and pissing away the effort of the entire team, they gotta go.

The juice ain't remotely worth the squeeze.

25 minutes ago, slorch said:

The totality of his alleged service to the Cowboys has been shit.  He's the last person on the roster who could afford such dumbassery, and no, he did not just stumble into the punter.  he was not going to block any punt and should have never been running in that direction in the first place.

garrett's lack of reaction was absolutely what is wrong with this franchise.  If someone makes a hustle mistake, you correct them and tell them to keep their heads up.  When they are deliberately idiotic and pissing away the effort of the entire team, they gotta go.

The juice ain't remotely worth the squeeze.

Watch the play again.   He was hurdling the upback who was trying to cut block him, and he stumbled trying to regain his feet.   

Dumb penalty, but he didn’t just fuck up trying to block the kick.  

Dumbass take 

Edited by Trey3216

3 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I think we want an Eagles win, don't we? Eagles win over Washington increases our lead over the Skins and then we can lock up the division in our next game vs the Eagles.

We want Colt to bury the Eagles. The Skins aren't that good. They'll get beat another time or two. The Eagles are still the team to worry about. I expect them to beat Wash pretty handily.

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Watch the play again.   He was hurdling the upback who was trying to cut block him, and he stumbled trying to regain his feet.   

Dumb penalty, but he didn’t just fuck up trying to block the kick.  

Dumbass take 

I did watch it.

He didn't stumble 13 yards into the punter.

He's a fucking moron. It changed the momentum of the game after the D had kicked ass.

It is not an overreaction to expect accountability.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I didn't go back and inspect, but The Ticket mentioned that the blue line isn't accurate and the 50 is the LOS in which case it's offsides

So you're saying that the center can pull the ball back a good six inches from the LOS, and somehow the defender is supposed to know where that LOS is? And can be called offsides because of that. There's no way that can be a rule. Regardless of where the ball was placed by the official, the LOS is where the ball is when it is snapped - as long as it is behind the original placement.

I thought the roughing the penalty was fucking dumb. But then again, I think trying to block a punt is stupid unless you desperately need it at the end of the game. We had a 10pt lead. Why is anyone trying to sell out to block a punt when we don't need it? There is almost no upside into selling out to block a punt. Whether he stumbled or not, you absolutely can not have that penalty at that point of the game.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I still can't figure out how this was called offsides...

I bet if you took screen caps of every LOS before the snap in the game you could find at least a half dozen dudes lined up offsides. I see it all the time. That ain't one of them.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

It seems to me that his percentage is on the high side because of all the screens and dumps and short passing game. How is he on passes more than 10 yds downfield?  No one who watches Dak on a regular basis will say he is an accurate QB. If you do, you’re biased/kidding yourself.

Then throw in his proclivity for turning the ball over  

Dak will be an average QB at best. One that has to be schemed around to maximize his abilities. Short passes/screens, emphasis on protection so he doesn’t get pushed off his spot.  QB runs looking to run not throw since he can’t throw on run. Etc. 

Last year (his worst in the league), he was quite good on deeper balls (2nd in league), as he was in 2016 when he received a B+ grade.  Do you have any actual data to support your thesis?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/deep-ball-project

https://brickwallblitz.com/2017/03/26/the-2016-17-deep-ball-project-part-23/

Dak has a fumbling problem this season.... no doubt.  A lot of it is his sack rate is way up as our pass blocking is quite poor (30th in the league by FO).  So more hits and sacks on his drop backs have led to a bad season with fumbling.  The two previous years, he only had 4 lost but some of that may be a bit fortunate.  He needs to take better care of the ball in the pocket, which leads to another weakness.... pocket presence.  His pocket presence is average at best.  Better pass blocking should mitigate some of the issues but he has to work on feeling pressure better and protecting the ball regardless more.

His INT% is quite good.  He doesn't quite qualify for attempts but his 1.7% INT rate would be 2nd all-time.... to Aaron Rodgers.  He doesn't have a pick problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So you're saying that the center can pull the ball back a good six inches from the LOS, and somehow the defender is supposed to know where that LOS is? And can be called offsides because of that. There's no way that can be a rule. Regardless of where the ball was placed by the official, the LOS is where the ball is when it is snapped - as long as it is behind the original placement.

Look, bottom line is that Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Atlanta, Philly, ain’t having that call go against them. 

That was a fuck you Jerry and fuck you Dallas call right there. 

On the roughing the punter. I’m with Vic here- you should never rush a kick unless it’s desperation. Just watch for a fake and setup your return. You’re going to get the damn ball back. 

36 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Slorch,

he definitely stumbled into the punter. There’s no other logical explanation for what happened to Gregory when you rewatch that play. 

youdunnf'dup

Yes he stumbled into the punter, but because his full inertia and momentum was going directly towards the punter for a block he was never going to make.  the fact that the RB nicked him has nothing to do with it.

He's an idiot for the angle and velocity with which he took it.

There was zero reason to go for the block and it changed the game.

If he didn't have the off field issues and all of the other babysitting required, maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Where's the fucking win in having this guy on the team?

5:30 mark...

Edited by slorch

16 hours ago, DougO said:

I bet if you took screen caps of every LOS before the snap in the game you could find at least a half dozen dudes lined up offsides. I see it all the time. That ain't one of them.

Yeah heard Bob or someone saying they should only call offsides if it's egregious and/or they actually move early.  Not for having half a helmet offsides.

54 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah heard Bob or someone saying they should only call offsides if it's egregious and/or they actually move early.  Not for having half a helmet offsides.

Or call it every time so players won't do it, instead of only when it fucks the Cowboys out of a sack fumble in their most important game of the year.

I was watching a show on the NFL network last night that said, "If Gallup runs through his route that's another big play for Dak." So it's not just me. An NFL receiver has to learn to run to the spot and look back at the last second, not track it the whole way throwing off his stride.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougO said:

I was watching a show on the NFL network last night that said, "If Gallup runs through his route that's another big play for Dak." So it's not just me. An NFL receiver has to learn to run to the spot and look back at the last second, not track it the whole way throwing off his stride.

Oh yeah, it's real easy to blame Dak for missing every throw.  But just like sacks, sometimes there are other factors.

So in addition to playing the Cowboys, the Eagles have to play the Rams and Houston (and finally Wash). The only one they'll win will be a meaningless finale against the Skins. Cowboys finish out against Colts, Bucs and Giants (in NY). Maybe that's why a graphic last night gave Dallas a 70+% chance of winning the division.

With the extra rest, this team has to be hungry as hell to take it to the World Champs on Sunday. And if we win, I think we're in, (although I just checked a calendar and realized it's time for their annual meltdown to begin.) It would be sweet indeed if we could humiliate the Giants in front of their home crowd on our way into the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

The Redskins are cooked with Colt hurt, too. So beat the Eagles and the division is pretty much ours.

Seems like a simple assignment.

Skins were cooked even with Colt as the QB. He was not leading them to a division title. Once Alex Smith went down, they were done.

It's a one game season.  Beat the Eagles and we should win the division.  That simple.  We usually get fucked on scheduling (Philly had 2 weeks to prepare for us), but this is our scheduling advantage.  We've had 10 days to prepare while Philly played on Monday night and has to travel.  This is a game we should win by 10 points, but Garrett and Linehan, so....

• Like 1

We are definitely the better team. I have a feeling it will go like the first meeting. We will dominate on the field but it won't show on the scoreboard. Due to stalled drives in the redzone like we love to do. I think we win, though. If this team is about anything, then they can't follow that Saints performance up with a home loss to a team on short rest.

Hell we are only one game away from the Bears for the 3 seed right now. Not sure if that matters, though. I will assume Seattle will get one of the wild cards. Haven't even checked on whom the other team might be. Panthers? Even though they have lost 4 straight. Vikings?

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If Eagles win out, they'll have a better divisional record at 9-7, so no..... Beat the Eagles and it's over.

The Eagles aren't winning out with the Rams/Texans on there.  But yes, beat the Eagles and it's over.

Not sure I care about the seeding(game back from the 3 seed), but if it means not getting the Seahawks(who'll be the 5 seed) in the first round, then that'll be smart.  They're playing the best of anyone lately, at least the team we gotta worry about.  Plus I think the Saints win out and get the 1 seed back from the Rams, meaning we avoid NO until the NFC Championship game.  Maybe the Seahawks get lucky and knock them off.

In the end, just win this week, and then let everything else fall however it may.  The cowboys play defense like they did Thursday and they can beat anyone.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If Eagles win out, they'll have a better divisional record at 9-7, so no..... Beat the Eagles and it's over.

That’s why I said probably. And if they win out they are 10-6.  I just think that the likelihood of them beating at least two of Dallas, LA, and Houston is small.  They are probably an 8-8 team.  

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s why I said probably. And if they win out they are 10-6.  I just think that the likelihood of them beating at least two of Dallas, LA, and Houston is small.  They are probably an 8-8 team.  

I agree they likely drop another game and maybe 2, but why leave it to chance?  Win this weekend and it's pretty much done.  Step on their throats.

34 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I agree they likely drop another game and maybe 2, but why leave it to chance?  Win this weekend and it's pretty much done.  Step on their throats.

Yeah, win this week and you're up two games with three to play and I *think* would then hold every single tie-breaker (H2H, Division and Conference) over PHI unless WAS gets in there to create a three-team tie.

So Bob just had a decent idea on his radio show.  Since everyone is in the "WE don't know if Dak is the guy, so we can't pay him like he's the guy yet...", even us ardent Dak supporters, don't believe he should be getting 25 mil a year.  That's too much.

But if you could get him at under 20?  More easy to swallow.  The fact is they don't have to do a deal until after 2019. 

So what he proposed is to offer him 5 for 100(20 mil a year) but tweak it a bit to add it and start it 2019, bringing the total to actually 16 mil a year.  That would pay him like he's the 18th best QB in the league(I would say about that if not a bit higher), and not kill the team's cap(especially since it's getting higher every year).  With that kind of deal you're not killed if Dak gets hurt or you figure out he's not the guy 3 years from now, while still allowing you to sign Tank, Jones, Amari, Jaylon, ect...

Interesting thought.  Definitely outside the box.