Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

cap issues had a lot to do with winning two playoff games in 25 years.  you’re a moron. 

No mismanagement of the damn team caused most of that. They didn’t handle the cap well at all back then and they didn’t draft well enough to overcome it. They do now. They always find the money they need and don’t kill themselves with bad contracts, even Romo and Dez weren’t crippling like the contracts they used to give out in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Cap hell is overstated because people don’t understand it. Most teams get under the cap and get players they need to. The cowboys have done a good job drafting so they have to pay to keep their players(Tank, Jones, etc...) and don’t have a ton of extra money to sign FAs. That’s called good team building, not mismanaging the cap.

So no, you’re the moron.

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

No mismanagement of the damn team caused most of that. They didn’t handle the cap well at all back then and they didn’t draft well enough to overcome it. They do now. They always find the money they need and don’t kill themselves with bad contracts, even Romo and Dez weren’t crippling like the contracts they used to give out in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Cap hell is overstated because people don’t understand it. Most teams get under the cap and get players they need to. The cowboys have done a good job drafting so they have to pay to keep their players(Tank, Jones, etc...) and don’t have a ton of extra money to sign FAs. That’s called good team building, not mismanaging the cap.

So no, you’re the moron.

you’re wrong and your parents never loved you. 

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Post game locker room.  Gallup gets the game ball.  I think Garrett is a decent man.  I wish he was a better coach.

That’s what I gathered from watching all of nothing this offseason. I can understand why the players love Garrett. Throughout his tenure, the team seems to play their best when his seat is hottest. I think there’s something to that. He’s too stubborn (or just not creative at all) to become an above average coach, but it’s obvious everyone in that organization loves him and respects him.

Seeing R. Switzer making catches reminded me of Jihad Ward, who plays for Indy apparently. 

Im sure it’s in this thread somewhere, but how the fuck does that guy play for the Colts? Did we release him or did we get something for him? I’m guessing we went all Jerry Jones and just got worked by a bad draft pick and a worse trade. 

Am I wrong? 

On 11/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

Seeing R. Switzer making catches reminded me of Jihad Ward, who plays for Indy apparently. 

Im sure it’s in this thread somewhere, but how the fuck does that guy play for the Colts? Did we release him or did we get something for him? I’m guessing we went all Jerry Jones and just got worked by a bad draft pick and a worse trade. 

Am I wrong? 

We released Ward on final cut day going into the season.  Rich Bissacia, our ST coach last year, really liked Switzer as a return guy and we thought we could get another slot WR.  In the offseason we got a new ST and WR coach.  Both weren't too keen on Switzer so we shipped him out for a high potential, high risk project who was going to take time..... and cut him 5 weeks into the season.  It's a wasted draft pick.  Not a huge loss, but it could have been more....

On 11/24/2018 at 10:27 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s what I gathered from watching all of nothing this offseason. I can understand why the players love Garrett. Throughout his tenure, the team seems to play their best when his seat is hottest. I think there’s something to that. He’s too stubborn (or just not creative at all) to become an above average coach, but it’s obvious everyone in that organization loves him and respects him.

Good to maybe even great leader of men, but subpar as a coach wrt to innovation and game management. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We released Ward on final cut day going into the season.  Rich Bissacia, our ST coach last year, really liked Switzer as a return guy and we thought we could get another slot WR.  In the offseason we got a new ST and WR coach.  Both weren't too keen on Switzer so we shipped him out for a high potential, high risk project who was going to take time..... and cut him 5 weeks into the season.  It's a wasted draft pick.  Not a huge loss, but it could have been more....

Considering the fact that we'll or probably be looking for a new slot WR next year after Beasley bounces it was a bad decision coach(front office). 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

jihad ward will be back.  jerome harrison was cut several times before sticking with pitt.  ward is as talented as any tackle in the league, he just needs to flip the switch. 

7 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Good to maybe even great leader of men, but subpar as a coach wrt to innovation and game management. 

Considering the fact that we'll or probably be looking for a new slot WR next year after Beasley bounces it was a bad decision coach(front office). 

I think Beasley will probably be re-signed.  Doubt he gets a huge contract as his limitations are known...... He may price out of our market if he is getting more than 3.5 m AAV on a L-T contract.

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think Beasley will probably be re-signed.  Doubt he gets a huge contract as his limitations are known...... He may price out of our market if he is getting more than 3.5 m AAV on a L-T contract.

He's getting more then 3.5 mil a year. Much more likely he's in the 6-8 mil range. That's what a mediocre-good receiver is getting. 

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

he’s limited quite a bit by his quarterback.  he’s talented enough to catch 80+ balls a year pretty easily with a capable passer. 

he’s limited quite a bit by his quarterback.  he’s talented enough to catch 80+ balls a year pretty easily with a capable passer. 
He's a one trick pony who has had just a few good seasons. There's nothing special about him. After teams started to pay attention to him, he was exposed. He'll pop up and have some good games but the days of old are done unless we get another talented WR to take eyes off him.

This was the one game in the 2nd half of the season they could afford to lose (before Smith went down). Now likely they could lose 2 and still win the division at 9-7. If they play loose with house money and can junk up a boring game in their usual style they should be in position to pull something off late. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

This was the one game in the 2nd half of the season they could afford to lose (before Smith went down). Now likely they could lose 2 and still win the division at 9-7. If they play loose with house money and can junk up a boring game in their usual style they should be in position to pull something off late. 

I junked up your mom last night before pulling off in her late.  

I heard Mike Fisher say that Taco has had attitude issues lately. He was held out of the Skins game because of it. He's moping around about his role while others in front of him are getting more playing time.

I mean maybe he should focus on actually making a difference out there rather than bitch and complain. 1st round pick in 2017 and he still makes no real impact. That's why your time is limited. No idea why we didn't draft TJ Watt but that's water under the bridge.

Edited by Vic Mackey

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Bless his heart. Saints by three touchdowns.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nah, people seem to think the Cowboys will be blown out when their style and the defense is good enough to at least make it a 1 score game late into the 4th.

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Yep, I suspect they'll be within striking distance late.  Finish the game with the ball in Dak's hands and time to drive, and I like our chances.  Say what you want about Dak, but he has some clutch to him.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
29 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
I mean, you clearly do, and your team clearly does with their fake tough guy talk. But good luck tomorrow.

We play them tomorrow. That's it. I clearly don't give a shit about them after this week or what happens to their season.

And that's fair. It's mostly mutual.

Edited by BradInATX

I don’t understand the issue with what Lawrence said. He basically said, in so many words:

they are clearly the best team, and the way WE’RE going to have to beat them is punch them in the mouth to see if that rattles them. See if that gets them off of what they’re used to doing. If it does, then we have them right where we want them and we need to finish them off. 

He obviously worded it differently, but that’s all he said. What’s he supposed to say? They also asked him, “is this the best oline you’ve played all year” and his response was “shit, I don’t know. We haven’t played them yet. Ask me after the game and I’ll give you an honest answer”

I thought that was kinda funny for some reason

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t understand the issue with what Lawrence said. He basically said, in so many words:

they are clearly the best team, and the way WE’RE going to have to beat them is punch them in the mouth to see if that rattles them. See if that gets them off of what they’re used to doing. If it does, then we have them right where we want them and we need to finish them off. 

He obviously worded it differently, but that’s all he said. What’s he supposed to say? They also asked him, “is this the best oline you’ve played all year” and his response was “shit, I don’t know. We haven’t played them yet. Ask me after the game and I’ll give you an honest answer”

I thought that was kinda funny for some reason

There is no issue with what he said.  His quote isn't going to make1 iota of difference on the game.  The only issue is looking stupid on twitter if/when the Saints hang 40 points on you.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yes win the game and you don't look stupid even if the defense sucks.  The concept of provoking an NFL team is a dumb.  Even traditional NFL rivalries are pointless these days.  It only moves the needle of the fans, not the players. 

Precisely 

I am looking forward to a win....as others have said this is precisely the type of game cowboys win when no one gives them a chance....then theyll lose to the colts/giants probably

Eagles were going to stomp us this year also
Believe we knocked off undefeated colts and saints in past
If i recall also brady and pats barely squeaked by they went undefeated???

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I'd happily have the Saints lose to Dallas again if it meant this season turned out the same way that one did.

You guys are so good this year, I don't think there's any need for a bounty program. Should be in the SB as long as you get the home field over the Rams.