Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

People talk about consistency, especially as it relates to Dak. At the NFL level, every player can perform at a high level on a play by play basis. What separates players is the ability to do it repeatedly and reliably. 

While I’m bashing Dak here’s an interesting stat. The Cowboys are currently dead last in the league when in goal to go situations. 

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Would someone please explain to Dak that he isn’t a good enough passer to sit in the pocket and toss it around, that he must run the ball to have any effectiveness.

He had zero runs yesterday, that’s unacceptable. I hope the coaches haven’t told him not to run.

The coaches are horrible about mixing his legs in the game plan, but I believe a good portion of his lack of running falls on him as well.  It's either his instincts/awareness are horrible or his agent has convinced him that staying healthy is priority #1 for a payday. 

16 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

People talk about consistency, especially as it relates to Dak. At the NFL level, every player can perform at a high level on a play by play basis. What separates players is the ability to do it repeatedly and reliably. 

While I’m bashing Dak here’s an interesting stat. The Cowboys are currently dead last in the league when in goal to go situations. 

Like I said in the game thread yesterday, we have an incompetent group in calling a well-thought gameplan.  

3rd and Goal from the 2.  Great play call, terrible execution by the FB in completely whiffing on a ball thrown 12 mph.  

but................................

That's a play you run on 4th & Goal since we were going to go for it.  What do we run?  A completely predictable HB lead out of 12 personnel.  You run that play on 3rd down, and line up in the same personnel group and run the 3rd down play on 4th down as Indy is expecting you to ram it in with Zeke.  

None of that matters if the FB catches the ball or if Dak looks to the back of the endzone and sees Blake Jarwin 8 yards away from anyone.  

The curl routes.  Good Lord.  How many times this season has this fuckhead called 4 WR curl routes on 3rd and 5-9?  

Dak.  He had Beasely wide open on that throw that Leonard almost picked because he waited too long to throw.  He had Jarwin wide open running a corner and floated it up there so Jarwin had to come back for the ball which allowed the safety to recover quickly and aide in breaking up the pass even though Jarwin still should've caught the ball.  

Just so many things that are beyond irritating. 

The offense has averaged just over 10pts per game over the last five. Bayless lambasted "smiling clapping" Garrett this morning. Said that he can't motivate this team like a Jimmy Johnson could. I remember Johnson, a few weeks into his Cowboys HC job, canning a defensive starter for smiling and shaking hands with an opponent after losing to them.

I simply don't see this team progressing past the first round. So is it better to choke in the last two games and watch Jones clean house? There's no guarantee that he would clean house, of course. Or is it better to get humiliated in a Wild Card game and watch the era of Zeke pass by without a post season win while its milqtoast "coach" claps and smiles?

Cowboy fans are in Jason Garrett purgatory.

And dammit, I would look long and hard at Foles before offering Dak a new contract. Bet Foles would love to return to Texas.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

if they can beat Tampa AND Sua and Martin are back healthy by the playoff game I could see them winning one game.

if they lose to Tampa and Sua and Martin are not healthy by the giants game, look out.  If Foles and the eagles win the division...we might get our wish but the OL excuse will be built in for Jerry to continue to keep Jeff Fisher II.

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Where was Romo on the spectrum. The Romo/Dak shit is old and tired it what was it Romo won? Nothing

Romo was really good but not great QB because he didn’t win a Super Bowl.  Winning a Super Bowl isn’t the only criteria but it is an important to be considered great.  Just my two cents.

11 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Wait, what? Before today, we played 4 games in 21 days. That’s the norm by nfl standards. We shit the bed today in a game where, heading into the week, we had a 97% chance of making the playoffs. I think everyone in the organization let their guard down a little bit today. Not saying that’s an acceptable excuse, but better now than later (if there is a later, of course). This was easily the worst game I’ve seen them play in a few years. Maybe longer. I’m calling that the exception, not the rule. We are far from a juggernaut, but bad teams don’t win 5 games in a row in the nfl. I don’t care who the competition was. You got your ass kicked. Dust yourself off, put some ice on the wounds, and figure out wtf happened.

FIFY

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Romo was really good but not great QB because he didn’t win a Super Bowl.  Winning a Super Bowl isn’t the only criteria but it is an important to be considered great.  Just my two cents.

There is not winning a super bowl and there is having a 2-6 playoff record.  Romo in the playoffs was a rarity even more so a playoff game beyond the first round.  Saying he didn't win a super bowl is like saying I didn't win a super bowl.  He was never even in the mix for one. 

• Like 1

Bad Loss.  Both sides of the ball were horribad.  Could have been salvaged early, since they had so many Red Zone opportunities. OC is the obvious culprit, but hard to deny execution with missed passes, dropped passes, piss poor blocking.

Just gotta get over it and move on.

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

Bad Loss.  Both sides of the ball were horribad.  Could have been salvaged early, since they had so many Red Zone opportunities. OC is the obvious culprit, but hard to deny execution with missed passes, dropped passes, piss poor blocking.

Just gotta get over it and move on.

Ok Garrett! You remind me my neighbors “got to root for the home team” have u considered other teams? We won’t win until Jerry is in s box .

We are beating the Bucs and will win the East and locked in at the 4 seed. We just aren't that good on the road. Hence why I don't see a big run in the playoffs. I would much rather have gotten the 3 seed to be matched up with the 6 seed NFC team and then the Rams in the 2nd round. I don't buy into them. They did this same shit last year. They look like world beaters at times and then when it gets to the end, they look pretty meh. But hell, if they drop another game and the Bears keep at it, Rams will drop to the 3 seed.

We laid an egg big time yesterday. Defense never really made any noise at all. Luck had all day to pass. They gashed us on the run and they aren't even a good run team. Our LBs were real shitty yesterday. All of them.

It was a bad omen when we once again drove down the field and then pissed on ourselves and they blocked our FG. I never had a good feeling after that. But we kept moving the ball in the 1st half but could never get any points. It's getting ridiculous how often this is happening. We dominate TOP and yardage but have very little on the scoreboard. If anything at all. We should have had a 10-13pt lead at halftime of this game.

But shit happens. A lot of teams in the playoff race laid eggs this week. Seattle, NE, Rams. That's the NFL.

I think we win the next 2 games to finish at 10-6. I won't completely panic after one loss after a 5 game win streak like I have seen some. We still control everything we want to do. Bears won so we weren't going to gain ground. Move onto Tampa and win. 

Yeah, we're pretty much locked in as the fourth seed. There's no way we lose both of our last two games. We should beat Tampa and make it official next week.

As far as the playoffs go, it's possible for a team to make a run like the Giants did twice, but it's not very likely with us. The offense just isn't consistent enough for several reason that have been adequately covered. The best case scenario is winning the Wild Card game then dumping out at LA or New Orleans. That should buy Jason another five years.  

6 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Yeah, we're pretty much locked in as the fourth seed. There's no way we lose both of our last two games. We should beat Tampa and make it official next week.

As far as the playoffs go, it's possible for a team to make a run like the Giants did twice, but it's not very likely with us. The offense just isn't consistent enough for several reason that have been adequately covered. The best case scenario is winning the Wild Card game then dumping out at LA or New Orleans. That should buy Jason another five years.  

If we win the wild card, the Rams would be the ideal opponent the next round. We have a ton of fans out there. That stadium has no real homefield advantage as a Superdome or Seahawks stadium. Hell we might have more fans at that the game than Rams fans.

But regarding Garrett, I hate how now the expectations are what they were 4 years ago. Which was win a playoff game. Expectations should change. We keep going in circles because of Garrett and this staff and the expectations go right back to what they used to be. This season should be NFC title game or bust. Winning a wild card game and getting ousted once again in the divisional round should not keep Garrett around. That would be 5th time it has happened with Garrett here. 2 as an OC and then 3 as a HC. At some point you have to cut ties.

Wild card loss? Fired immediately. Somehow blowing these last 2 games and squeaking in as a wild card ala 2006, fired unless we win it all. Losing divisional round again? Fired.

But what will most likely happen is Linehan will fall on the sword.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I have no idea what you're saying.

Yesterday was just a bad game.  No way around it.  Go clinch the division next week, and beat the Giants after that.  Simple as that.

Simple? God I hope you are just a fantabulous bullshitter. Bc there are no points for delusional

A few things happened as far as the playoff yesterday.

1.  We have to win one game.  It would easier to get it done next week at home vs a Tampa team who has nothing to play for anymore except for job security.  Tampa is going to clean house in the offseason so their staff and a lot of the players know they'll be somewhere else next year.  Tampa is 1-6 on the road.  This is sort of a must win if you don't want serious questions about yourselves to creep in.

2.  If the Cowboys win, they're locked into the 4 seed.  They're not catching the 3 teams above them. 

3.  The Cowboys currently look like they'll be playing Seattle in the first round if we clinch, although Seattle's terrible loss @ SF has the Vikings a now viable opponent.  Bears may not want to play the Vikes a 3rd time and rest everyone in week 17 therefore making them the 5th seed if they can beat Detroit next week

4.  If the Saints can win tonight, they'll most likely be the #1 seed, meaning if we were to win a playoff game, we'd most likely be going to New Orleans.

If I'm the staff, I pour everything into this home game vs Tampa.  You don't want to be going to a divisional opponent on the road in week 17 in most likely bad weather, regardless of how wretched they are.  Beat the Bucs and quiet the noise and even start preparing for WC opponent.  Lee should be more integrated.  Martin should be back.  We may even see David Irving.  We got our asses beat in the trenches yesterday and bullied around the field.  When Dallas gets beat, it's pretty easy to see why, it's because we're getting worked in the trenches.  We aren't a KC or LAR, who can win even if they don't win the battle of the lines.  We have to be the more physical team.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Simple? God I hope you are just a fantabulous bullshitter. Bc there are no points for delusional

WTF are you trying to say?  They have to win next week to clinch the division.  That's a Fact.  And It's that simple. 

Falling on one's sword only happens when one volunteers to do so. Linehan will likely be the scapegoat, but he's only part of the problem.

We lose in NY either way.

Baltimore gave the rest of the league a road map to beating the Cowboys. If we manage to squeeze past Tampa with our shit offensive point output, we will rest key players against the Giants and get crushed.

If we lose to the Bucs, which now appears a possibility, it would be perfectly fitting that we then get our asses kicked in shitty weather in NY. At least then, MAYBE, we can get the fuck rid of Garrett. Hell, if we lose to Tampa, it wouldn't surprise me at all the see the team lay down in NY in hopes of getting rid of Garrett.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

last year it was obvious we needed to completely gut the coaching staff and instead we replaced some position coaches and kept linehan.  first of all, linehan isn’t a bad OC.  with a starting-caliber quarterback (romo) he coordinated some highly productive offenses.  the problem is that we now have an incapable, college-caliber quarterback who requires a non-traditional OC that can make something out of the steaming pile of mediocre shit talent that is dak prescott.  maybe a college or even a high school mind that can incorporate some effective qb runs.  of course he’ll inevitably get hurt and then we’ll have cooper rush running zone read.  or, if we were a smart franchise, we would cut bait with dak and move on.  

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Fair point.  But let's not leave it to that...they both should have lost this weekend.

No, I was seriously asking it. I didn't know if yesterday's outcomes changed anything for our division hopes in the scenario that we lose.

I don't know whom the Skins play but I am not convinced the Texans will beat the Eagles in Philly. Foles has a spark that Wentz didn't have and they can now catch fire. Plus, Houston plays with fire so many weeks. They were close to losing to the Jets. 

But I think we beat Tampa. We are great at home and Tampa's defense is terrible. They can score points in bunches, though. 

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

last year it was obvious we needed to completely gut the coaching staff and instead we replaced some position coaches and kept linehan.  first of all, linehan isn’t a bad OC.  with a starting-caliber quarterback (romo) he coordinated some highly productive offenses.  the problem is that we now have an incapable, college-caliber quarterback who requires a non-traditional OC that can make something out of the steaming pile of mediocre shit talent that is dak prescott.  maybe a college or even a high school mind that can incorporate some effective qb runs.  of course he’ll inevitably get hurt and then we’ll have cooper rush running zone read.  or, if we were a smart franchise, we would cut bait with dak and move on.  

Linehan is garbage.  Just stop.   Dak will never really have a chance to prove it until we see him without Linehan.

This is another troll attempt to get the Great Mike White a chance. ugh.

Edited by Drew
  • Like 1

Just now, futureman said:

Linehan is great, huh? The same guy who completely abandoned the run game in 2016 playoffs and went away from our identity? Or the guy who passed 3 times inside the 4yd line against the Seahawks last year? Lmao. 

How many times did Romo change Linehan's shitty playcalling. Quite often. You are making zero sense right now. So that was Romo's doing, not Linehan. Because Linehan has no idea how to call a game.

But I get it. You tried to make some point to take shots at Dak. But you didn't think it through. And looked foolish with that assessment about Linehan. Try again.

• Like 1

Linehan is also pretty terrible at playing to Dak's strengths. Where are the playaction bootlegs? The Run pass options? Dak is a lethal force when he starts to run. He isn't a drop back every down QB yet Linehan schemes this way. Fucking terrible. They are asking him to run the same scheme Romo did. They run the same shit out of the same formations and the tendencies are so predictable time after time. But yeah, Linehan is great!

Had Garrett/Linehan been at Philly last year, Foles would have ran the same exact scheme designed for Wentz and caused him to fail. But what did Pederson do? He sat down with Foles leading up to the playoffs and implemented a scheme and approach from his success of the 2013 season and rolled to a Super Bowl. But you need a real staff to do that. Same as when Romo was hurt in 2015, we made Cassel, Weeden and whomever else run the same exact scheme for Romo. That is a fucking joke.

If you think Linehan is a good OC, then you must think Garrett is a good HC as well. 

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The myth that the Cowboys O-line is the best or tops in NFL is a horrible myth that only children who don't watch the games would believe.

Also, I know this is a Longhorns message board, but Connor Williams is a horrible 2nd round pick... and he doesn't even have dropfoot and a possibility of potentially being good if he can overcome his injuries.

They aren't the best right now.  No one is saying that.  I was speaking to 2014 - 2016 when they were the best in the NFL and coupled with an awesome RB and great QB play Linehan managed to not look like dogshit.  So basically his OC prowess is as long as you supply him with the best offensive units in the game he's pretty good.

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

In what scenario do we even make the super bow? I hate  Jerry Garterbelt Linehan and anyone who knows him or Jerry most of the teams save the Chargers and Bears are no good. Yep Pats too

If we had homefield, I'd give us a good chance to make a deep run. We are very good at home. Away from home, we are very shaky. 

With our seed, we would have to play the Saints in the divisional round on the road. That is going to be very tough. But if we somehow beat them, I think we could take the Rams or Bears on the road.

But we can't continue on with Linehan as OC next year. Garrett, either but I don't trust Jerry to fire him. I do think he will have no issue with letting go of Linehan, though.

13 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The myth that the Cowboys O-line is the best or tops in NFL is a horrible myth that only children who don't watch the games would believe.

Also, I know this is a Longhorns message board, but Connor Williams is a horrible 2nd round pick... and he doesn't even have dropfoot and a possibility of potentially being good if he can overcome his injuries.

Who is saying this? When healthy, sure they can be a top tier OL. But they are far from that right now. Martin and Travis are hurt. Tyron really should not be out there but he is because he's a tough SOB. But he's not the same. It's a makeshift OL right now that just can't block with any consistency. A lot of Zeke's runs are because of him. He longer has those gaping holes he had in 2016.

we sucked last year and retained the coordinators.  however you spin this season we are still, at best, a 9-7 wild card loser.  so we’ll fire linehan but keep garrett.  maybe when we’re 8-8 in 2019 with a shit offense held down by our shit quarterback jerry will finally fire ginger. 

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

People on the radio. Also, Connor Williams is the worst 2nd round pick in a decade.

I agree on Connor. I think a lot of us caught up in the UT angle (I did) but he's terrible. He's too small to be a NFL guard and he isn't talented enough to be a tackle. The system we ran at UT made him look better than what he was. And he could have benefited from another year at UT. I'd have to look back on all their 2nd round picks and see but he looks really bad. Gregory might be as bad but for different reasons. 

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Tellus actually had a solid career once he got out of Dallas.  Certainly enough to remove his name from any bust lists.

true but he didn’t do shit in dallas which makes him a shit pick.  jerry should be picking guys he’s gonna use.  he’s done a decent job of that lately but we’re just talking 2nd round picks of the last decade.  tellus is near the bottom with escobar.