Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

The seafecals haven't been scary good in a long time. They're tough with the home field, but meh on the road.

Just anybody but the fecals. I hate playing an opponent a third time in the playoffs after sweeping them in the regular season, or otherwise. That has blown up on the Cowboys too many times in their history. I have no expectations for the Cowboys postseason, but a loss to the fecals would suck ass. It's been a good year, better than anticipated, a building block type season, so everything else is just gravy to me.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

The seafecals haven't been scary good in a long time. They're tough with the home field, but meh on the road.

Just anybody but the fecals. I hate playing an opponent a third time in the playoffs after sweeping them in the regular season, or otherwise. That has blown up on the Cowboys too many times in their history. I have no expectations for the Cowboys postseason, but a loss to the fecals would suck ass. It's been a good year, better than anticipated, a building block type season, so everything else is just gravy to me.

I hope we get Minnesota just so you can stop using those awful nicknames. 

Of course I am sure they're the Viqueens to you. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, futureman said:

y’all better pray to the virgin mary that we get the vikings because russell wilson is not losing to dak prescott in the postseason on any field.

This is where I’m at. Hope I’m wrong, but i don’t like our chances vs Russell Wilson in the playoffs. Not with Garrett and Linehan. 

Wtf ya'll talking about? Merry Christmas. Go Cowboys! Go Horns! Go Stars!

I might be a little drunk. And i also took 50mg thc pill a bit ago. So i might also be high as fuck.

But whatever. Keep debating whatever point you think you're making. Because of course you know more than the professionals

Love you fuckers

Doug O is Bob Sturm?

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

But again, this is the same knee jerk reactionary people who would want that spare Jameis Winston in place of Dak. Who has the awareness and football smarts as a potato. 

Actually Winston's talent and big play making combined with Dak's decision making and aversion to fuckups would be a hell of a QB. 

23 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Actually Winston's talent and big play making combined with Dak's decision making and aversion to fuckups would be a hell of a QB. 

Winston is good for one thing. Hitting passes down the field every now and then. But you aren't going anywhere with that kind of game. Hence why he has never did shit in the league yet.

17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Winston is good for one thing. Hitting passes down the field every now and then. But you aren't going anywhere with that kind of game. Hence why he has never did shit in the league yet.

if he can actually push the ball down the field (and he can) with zeke gashing the LOS then he’d be a much, much better option for us than dak.  

really most starting quarterbacks in the league and several backups would make this team better than dak would ever be able to even if he hit his ceiling. 

Edited by futureman
  • Fuck You 1

Here's Sturm on Garett/Linehan

I think he makes a good point

There is a massive disconnect between the aggressive style of offense the public desires and the conservative approach Linehan and Garrett take.

Once they get a lead, they sit on it.

Once the Cowboys take a lead, they carefully walk a tightrope where they would rather punt than risk the ball. The game turns into one long four-minute offense where they are simply trying to run clock and get out of dodge. That becomes even more difficult because the opponent picks up on it.

In other words, I know people still point to the red zone offense as the biggest argument to changing the offensive coaching staff. I would argue that this offense should consider a change in architect simply based on how many times they are not actually trying or willing to attack. They take the lead — even if only by 7 or 10 points in the first half — and often try to milk it. There are no additional attacks aside from the very careful screens or other underneath plays that require beating 11 defenders as opposed to one or two.

The play-calling switches fully over to run, run, screen, punt. Meanwhile, Dak Prescottgets accused of being a check-down machine who is scared of any throw down the field. I am here to suggest that he is often being coached this way and perhaps is capable of much more with the proper coaching in his ear. And while this cautious approach is going to navigate choppy waters all the way to the playoffs, it is a method that might neither be pleasant or forward-thinking in the modern NFL.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Here's Sturm on Garett/Linehan

I think he makes a good point

There is a massive disconnect between the aggressive style of offense the public desires and the conservative approach Linehan and Garrett take.

Once they get a lead, they sit on it.

Once the Cowboys take a lead, they carefully walk a tightrope where they would rather punt than risk the ball. The game turns into one long four-minute offense where they are simply trying to run clock and get out of dodge. That becomes even more difficult because the opponent picks up on it.

In other words, I know people still point to the red zone offense as the biggest argument to changing the offensive coaching staff. I would argue that this offense should consider a change in architect simply based on how many times they are not actually trying or willing to attack. They take the lead — even if only by 7 or 10 points in the first half — and often try to milk it. There are no additional attacks aside from the very careful screens or other underneath plays that require beating 11 defenders as opposed to one or two.

The play-calling switches fully over to run, run, screen, punt. Meanwhile, Dak Prescottgets accused of being a check-down machine who is scared of any throw down the field. I am here to suggest that he is often being coached this way and perhaps is capable of much more with the proper coaching in his ear. And while this cautious approach is going to navigate choppy waters all the way to the playoffs, it is a method that might neither be pleasant or forward-thinking in the modern NFL.

This has been my view all along. Year one they preached to Dak so much about protecting the ball because he was a rookie and they have never let him really do more unless the game was not in hand. Just like the drive where Maher hit the 59 yard FG this past Sunday..They went into that drive just wanting to get a FG and nothing else. They have no desire to attack weaknesses of the D. The Bucs are terrible in pass D so what does Dallas do? The same thing..the one early deep shot and then back to protect mode. Against the Eagles and their walking wounded of a secondary, Dallas did not attack it until they were forced to by the game. They were extremely conservative until that 4th Q. 

But this actually does not start just with Dak...they were trying to do it in 2014 because they were protecting the D. From that year on the offense is in score just enough mode instead of attacking what the D does not defend against well. 

Edited by txbroadcaster
  • Like 1

Yep, Dak is absolutely being coached in a way that hurts his development. I would bet money that if you swap Nick Foles and Dak Prescott straight up, Dak would blossom and Foles would look like a typical journeyman again. Because Philly can actually coach offense and Dallas just does the same predictable 4 plays over and over again and are surprised that their young raw QB isn't flourishing. The writer is spot on about sitting on any slim lead without even trying to score. It's infuriating and will result in another first round playoff exit.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

That's why any definitive judgements on Dak under this regime are premature. Yeah he may be a jag who is incapable of being something much more than that, but basing that determination on his play under this offensive crew is not something I'd put my house on.

I remember as far back as year 1 under Garrett when Wade was here T.O. complained that we were too predictable. Most took it as the inane rantings of a self absorbed twat, but it's clear he was onto something about Garrett from year 1 under him. Romo didn't know enough back then to make up for the lack of creativity so by the end of year 1 we were struggling to have consistent offensive outings. Fast forward to last season and Dez made those same familiar complaints. Cooper has already started making them in his 6 or 7 games here. At some point maybe someone will listen to them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That's why any definitive judgements on Dak under this regime are premature. Yeah he may be a jag who is incapable of being something much more than that, but basing that determination on his play under this offensive crew is not something I'd put my house on.

I remember as far back as year 1 under Garrett when Wade was here T.O. complained that we were too predictable. Most took it as the inane rantings of a self absorbed twat, but it's clear he was onto something about Garrett from year 1 under him. Romo didn't know enough back then to make up for the lack of creativity so by the end of year 1 we were struggling to have consistent offensive outings. Fast forward to last season and Dez made those same familiar complaints. Cooper has already started making them in his 6 or 7 games here. At some point maybe someone will listen to them.

The problem is someone has to put their house on it.  Dak's contract is up soon and unless we are going to clean house for next season someone has to judge Dak to determine whether to pay him or not.  You want to pay him based on the theory that he'd be better with a new staff when you aren't even sure when/if a new staff is coming?

This scenario might arguably be one of the worst that could have happened: Cowboys win one of the worst divisions in football by week 16 with a 9-6 record and Dak and the offense have looked like complete shit. Now there's zero chance of getting a new coaching staff to see Dak for a year before having to pay him north of $24 mil per year. 

Worst case scenario they pay Dak and it turns out he's no better than backup level QB and his cap hit kills the Cowboys down the road for years. All because Jerry dumbass didn't fire Garrett after that 2017 debacle. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Not only that, but I remember hearing a LB I think from one of the rival NFC east teams talk about how nothing has changed with our offense for the past decade and even some of the audibles are the same. 

28 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Not only that, but I remember hearing a LB I think from one of the rival NFC east teams talk about how nothing has changed with our offense for the past decade and even some of the audibles are the same. 

Drunk me believes the cowboys will win in the playoffs b/c they've shown nothing new or innovative on tape over the last 10 years. It's the long game by Garrett.

Once the playoffs start, the size of the playbook will be increased 7-8x from its current size of 4 plays. 

Opponents will be so shocked and demoralized that Dak/Linehan/Garrett are capable of running a functioning offense. 

44 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

This scenario might arguably be one of the worst that could have happened: Cowboys win one of the worst divisions in football by week 16 with a 9-6 record and Dak and the offense have looked like complete shit. Now there's zero chance of getting a new coaching staff to see Dak for a year before having to pay him north of $24 mil per year. 

Worst case scenario they pay Dak and it turns out he's no better than backup level QB and his cap hit kills the Cowboys down the road for years. All because Jerry dumbass didn't fire Garrett after that 2017 debacle. 

I think the "NFC east is horrible" take is a bit outdated.  They had 3 teams in the playoff race last weekend and might still get a 2nd team in. The AFC East and NFC South are bad.  The NFC North is in the same boat(maybe getting a 2nd team in), the NFC West isn't that much better either.  I don't think the NFC East is one of the worst divisions, it's not worst than middle of the pack.

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah the AFC East is perpetually one of the worst divisions in the NFL. Outside of 2 or maybe 3 of Rex Ryans Jets teams Belicek and Brady have had a free run for damn near 20 years.  

The only year they didn't win the East was when Brady was hurt. And they still only finished a game out. Dolphins won it that year. Unreal how little competition is in that shit ass division.