Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

The more I think about it the more I’m ok with Dak playing. He’s young enough that he can still recover quickly week to week and he’s durable as fuck and can avoid injury. But most importantly he needs the reps because he’s still learning and momentum is huge for a young guy like him. That game winning bomb to Beasley had to fill a young gamer like him with confidence going into the playoffs. I bet practices this week will be hyped as hell more than if the backups had just let the giants win.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 10:52 AM, futureman said:

dak is not good.  if you wanna argue his rookie stats and his ability to steer a bus that is hitched to ezekiel elliott as reason for him being a good qb then you’re a moron.  

dak is a below average player surrounded by an above average team.  every bit of success the team has had is in spite of him. 

How many games did the Cowboys win the year before Dak's rookie year?

59 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The more I think about it the more I’m ok with Dak playing. He’s young enough that he can still recover quickly week to week and he’s durable as fuck and can avoid injury. But most importantly he needs the reps because he’s still learning and momentum is huge for a young guy like him. That game winning bomb to Beasley had to fill a young gamer like him with confidence going into the playoffs. I bet practices this week will be hyped as hell more than if the backups had just let the giants win.

That was an amazing play, start to finish. Side question: were the Cowboys penalized for holding right before that play?

Dak knew that NY couldn't injure him. He wanted and needed that game.

Bayless, needless to say, was jubilant this morning and threw out a couple of stats - Dak has the highest completion percentage of any QB in history thru their first three years. Something like 61.7%. Secondly, Jason Witten never had a 3 TD day. Jarwin's speed looks like its going to be an asset.

The D has regressed a bit. Hope they figure that out. Hope Van Esch is okay.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

This. I don’t hate Dak as much as some y’all do, but he’s not good enough to sit in games like this 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Don't feed the admitted troll.

He will be rooting for us to lose on Saturday so he can come in here and spew his agenda.

after we lose to seattle and dak gets extended for $25MM/year and we lose the core of our team that won us every game for the last 3 years and we lose key members of the defense and we get stuck with just dak who without zeke and the o-line is completely and utterly useless ensuring a decade of 7 and 9 bullshit you’ll still be calling me a troll.  

I’m right, though.  and you fuck ugly fat mexican women because you’re too much of a loser to fuck anything better.  but that’s your life.  cheers to you, vic. 

14 minutes ago, futureman said:

after we lose to seattle and dak gets extended for $25MM/year and we lose the core of our team that won us every game for the last 3 years and we lose key members of the defense and we get stuck with just dak who without zeke and the o-line is completely and utterly useless ensuring a decade of 7 and 9 bullshit you’ll still be calling me a troll.  

I’m right, though.  and you fuck ugly fat mexican women because you’re too much of a loser to fuck anything better.  but that’s your life.  cheers to you, vic. 

You stack ifs and buts as high as Junior Miller stacks sand in his vagina about the Giants getting 1 or 2 draft spots better.  

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I think criticism of Dak is fair and you might end up being right but.......your half way serious, pseudo sarcasm, weird self aggrandizing, corny, repetitive bullshit posts are annoying.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I'm glad that defense that has looked exhausted for the previous 2+ games starting in the 4th vs the eagles was able to get zero rest in this game and looked even more exhausted getting worked by suck ass Eli Manning. 

I wouldn't count on dominance from the defense we saw in the 5 game winning streak. They're just too worn out. Winning in the playoffs is going to be all on Dak and Zeke's shoulders. 

15 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

You rest Lawrence, both LB, both starting CBs, and possibly Gregory at minimum. You restrict your starting DTs as much as possible. 

On offense you rest Zeke, Dak, Martin, Smith, Sua Filo, Cooper, Beasely. 

I didn't think I had to clarify that resting the defense and offense means you rest your heavy lifters who carry the load every week not every single fucking player. Guess I overestimated your basic understanding of the game. 

Like playing cards with my sister's kids for fuck sake. 

Yep, still a bitch ass troll.

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

Questioning the snaps played by key starters is a legitimate criticism.

Complaining about allowing the Giants to improve their draft position in what looks to be one of the weakest QB classes in several years is silly. If the Giants want Haskins or whoever is QB1, they'll scrounge up the capital to get him.

Exactly.  If the Giants were 9th and wanted to get Haskins they would and have to give up damn near as much as they will from 6.

14 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

You are very smart boy and know so much more than the rest of us. I really like the strategy of resting players, it's worked really well for us in 2016 and 2014.

The more rest the better, I always say. Momentum, confidence, and getting reps are just an illusion. I would rest the players 8-10 games a year. Also, it's important to lose to division rivals otherwise they will get a better draft pick, cause that's what really matters. Now that I think about it, the cowboys should aim to get a top 5 pick every year. 

Yep.  Resting players hasn't been good for the cowboys at all.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

None of that is going to happen. Even if Dak gets 25 mil a year(which is actually short of what most think he's going to get and not in line with the top 5 QB's), they won't lose anyone that they don't need/want to lose.  Cap is going up crazy.  They can sign Tank and Jones and Dak if they want too.  I doubt they're going to give Zeke any kind of huge extension.

Romo wasnt a regular season loser. He was a good regular season QB. He just happened to be a loser whenever the season was on the line and the pressure increased. 
So far Dak hasnt had many games with that pressure but in his lone playoff game he went score for score with Aaron Rodgers and had a better game than Romo ever had in a "win or go home" situation. Dak is also one of the best QBs in the 4th quarter of games that are +- 7 points. If that carries to the playoffs and the defense carries to the playoffs they have a better chance of making a run than any team with Romo as QB. 
Yeah i remember that horrible game romo had against packers in playoffs...had 4 incompletions and dez didnt catch it after his 3rd step...and when romo made murray fumble it on a wide open td run that just cemented romos horrible play-off performances
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Next season's opponents:

Home: Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Packers, Vikings, Bills, Dolphins, Rams

Away: Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Bears, Lions, Pats, Jets, Saints

Before anyone chimes in about our 1st place schedule the only 2 games where our finish this year affects who we play next year are the Saints and Rams. 2 games out of 16 are determined by where you finished the year before. Maybe it has an effect on where we play (home or away) for the other games, but the energy spent on it as a topic every offseason is overkill IMO. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Dak will never be a top 5 QB in the NFL but think he's good enough (in the right season) if you don't massively overpay him. I mean Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls and Nick Foles won one. In free agency Dak would probably get Kirk Cousins money which is frightening.

Don't want to return to the Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Quincy Carter days but obviously you can't just pay Dak whatever.

44 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dak is not getting Cousin's money.

You say that, but then you look at the numbers Derek Carr and Jimmy G are making. Dak’s agent is going to point to his w/l record, his TD:INT ratio, and his 4th quarter comebacks. It’s going to be tough, because someone will pay him. Most likely we’re going franchise tag him, no? 

Maybe we should resort to the New Logic - the Giant's Draft Position Logic (GDPL) developed right here on this board - Maybe we should hope for a loss Saturday night so that we can get Dak for less? In fact, if we can lose enough games, it will pave the way for a rosy future.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Maybe we should resort to the New Logic - the Giant's Draft Position Logic (GDPL) developed right here on this board - Maybe we should hope for a loss Saturday night so that we can get Dak for less? If we lose enough games, if will pave the way for a rosy future.

THIS!!!!!! We're guaranteed to move up 1-4 spots if we lose. That's worth a whole lot more than winning the game. 

Just think how screwed we'd be in the draft order if we win 4 in a row. No thanks. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Maybe we should resort to the New Logic - the Giant's Draft Position Logic (GDPL) developed right here on this board - Maybe we should hope for a loss Saturday night so that we can get Dak for less? In fact, if we can lose enough games, if will pave the way for a rosy future.

i think we should lose this game on purpose so we will have a better draft choice in the second round where we can draft Dak's replacement at QB...

Before anyone chimes in about our 1st place schedule the only 2 games where our finish this year affects who we play next year are the Saints and Rams. 2 games out of 16 are determined by where you finished the year before. Maybe it has an effect on where we play (home or away) for the other games, but the energy spent on it as a topic every offseason is overkill IMO. 

I mean true, but damn those 2 teams they’re going to play are really good. And we get the Saints in the dome. Not looking forward to that.

Pats on the road isn’t looking rosy either.

45 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean true, but damn those 2 teams they’re going to play are really good. And we get the Saints in the dome. Not looking forward to that.

Pats on the road isn’t looking rosy either.

Yeah it just so happened that the other two 1st place teams this year are off the charts good. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

And now the bucs want to interview Kris Richard for their HC position when our season ends. We all knew this was going to happen. Enjoy him while you can, because he’s gone as soon as that first offer hits. He can’t exactly be picky when he isn’t even the DC here

Slide Marinelli into a Monte Kiffin-like role and make Richard the DC/Asst HC?

On 12/31/2018 at 7:23 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

You say that, but then you look at the numbers Derek Carr and Jimmy G are making. Dak’s agent is going to point to his w/l record, his TD:INT ratio, and his 4th quarter comebacks. It’s going to be tough, because someone will pay him. Most likely we’re going franchise tag him, no? 

I think Jerry, Stephen and Will then whip out the chart showing the top seven highest-paid NFL QBs will all be watching this weekend's playoff games from the couch.

Sign him if you must. We aren't getting better any other way any time soon. But the point where it becomes fiscally-irresponsible to sign him just so you have a mid-level QB is the moment ...

giphy.gif

I have no idea what to make of this game on Saturday. They were 3-5 just like us, they’ve won 7 of their last 8 with their one loss coming to the 49ers of all teams (someone please correct me if I’m wrong), and playoff Russell Wilson is such a god damn wild card. I feel like we’re far and away the more talented roster, but both teams essentially knew they were facing each other two weeks ago. Do I trust Garrett over Carroll with two weeks of prep? No. 

Im gonna say 27-24 cowboys, but nothing would surprise me.

This one seems pretty easy to understand, to see how each team plays is tougher.  Whoever is the more physical team is will probably win as long as the turnover battle isn't lopsided and we don't kill ourselves with penalties.  The other thing to watch is RZ offense.  Need to play at 2/3 or more in the RZ.  Can't walk away with 3/4 FG attempts after getting to the RZ, especially considering how Maher kicks in the 40's. Dak has 4 picks in 2 games vs Seattle.  He has to play a much cleaner game.  Linehan will be challenged on 3rd down b/c Carroll and company eat up team's with conventional play calling.  We're pretty healthy.  Irving is out but he was a no show this year and probably won't play another down in Dallas.  Connor Williams has to play like a roughrider along with Collins.  

Seattle has one of the worst run defenses in the league.  Zeke ran all over them last time, but we couldn't stay with it as we had turned it over 4 times or so.  If they don't turn the ball over, you feed Zeke about 25 carries and throw it to him 5-8 times and The Cows win 31-17. 

Zeke had about 3 or 4 mental lapses the first time we played. Stepped out of bounds before he caught that TD pass. Fumbled. And I think he stepped out of bounds again. He did not seem focused. I know he put up yardage but his mistakes cost us big time and we could never get going. But this offense is much different than it was back then. Also, they don't have Earl Thomas. Not to mention, they are much different on the road, especially in the playoffs. They will go as Russell goes. You get him to him and knock him around and sack him, we win.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I have no idea what to make of this game on Saturday. They were 3-5 just like us, they’ve won 7 of their last 8 with their one loss coming to the 49ers of all teams (someone please correct me if I’m wrong), and playoff Russell Wilson is such a god damn wild card. I feel like we’re far and away the more talented roster, but both teams essentially knew they were facing each other two weeks ago. Do I trust Garrett over Carroll with two weeks of prep? No. 

Im gonna say 27-24 cowboys, but nothing would surprise me.

Seahawks were 4-4 after 8 and had played 5 away games (6 after 9 games).  They rode a good schedule (like us) to 6-2 (really 6-1) in the 2nd half.  They beat KC, GB, and Minnesota but all at home.  Lost 2 of their away games (Rams and Niners) and beat Carolina in a must win at their place.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, C-Man said:

Slide Marinelli into a Monte Kiffin-like role and make Richard the DC/Asst HC?

I've heard from some experts that think it's just Rooney Rule stuff.  Most these teams will be looking for Offensive HC's, not defensive.  Especially with all the young QB's at these places.

AT least I hope.

As for this game, obviously RW is better...but that's not the issue.  The Cowboys do not fair well when they face a QB who can avoid the pass rush and escape(or when they flat can't get pressure at all, like even against Eli last week).  But it's their run game.  The last 2 really good running teams we played(Titans/Colts) were able to move the ball easily by forcing the run, and we couldn't stop it.

Edited by Drew

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

I've heard from some experts that think it's just Rooney Rule stuff.  Most these teams will be looking for Offensive HC's, not defensive.  Especially with all the young QB's at these places.

AT least I hope.

As for this game, obviously RW is better...but that's not the issue.  The Cowboys do not fair well when they face a QB who can avoid the pass rush and escape(or when they flat can't get pressure at all, like even against Eli last week).  But it's their run game.  The last 2 really good running teams we played(Titans/Colts) were able to move the ball easily by forcing the run, and we couldn't stop it.

See, that’s what i was thinking too (regarding the Rooney rule) but the deeper I look into it, I think one of these places offer him a job. By all accounts, everyone says he has the type of personality and charisma to carry a room. I’m just saying, don’t be shocked if you see him coaching the bengals, or the cardinals, or one of the 8 open coaching vacancies. I’m not saying there aren’t 8 better candidates, because there might be. But I’d almost be willing to bet that Richard is the type of guy that, once he’s sitting down in front of the owner/gm, they’re going to think “holy shit, this is the guy”. Hope I’m wrong 

The team that wins the turnover battle takes this one. Would love to see DLaw have a monster game - maybe rip off Wilson's head. When the D plays conservative, they give up too many yards. They gotta get pressure on the QB. That will be the story.

I'm thinking Wilson gets carted off. They game's outta reach. Seahawks looking at the ground, don't even notice Wilson falling off the cart. He's dragged for 20 yards before they notice. It could happen.