Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was on record saying the trade was dumb. Mainly the timing. We were 3-4 and that draft pick looked to be real valuable at the time. But yeah, that trade pretty much turned this team around. We lost our first game with him against the Titans but then never looked back after that except a hiccup against the Colts, who are also one of the hottest teams in the league. Without Cooper here, we would already be well into offseason talks. I am glad I was dead wrong on that trade. And he's also really young, too.

Same.

I thought that Cooper was a bust. I had him his rookie year in Fantasy Football, after drafting him ~4th round, and he was routinely outplayed by Michael Crabtree. I avoided him the following year, but noticed that Crabtree again outproduced him on a regular basis, despite being seen as a clear #2 WR.

He has been the spark that combusted the Cowboys Inferno the second half of this year. I'm very happy to be 100% wrong on the Cooper trade.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was on record saying the trade was dumb. Mainly the timing. We were 3-4 and that draft pick looked to be real valuable at the time. But yeah, that trade pretty much turned this team around. We lost our first game with him against the Titans but then never looked back after that except a hiccup against the Colts, who are also one of the hottest teams in the league. Without Cooper here, we would already be well into offseason talks. I am glad I was dead wrong on that trade. And he's also really young, too.

It's one thing to say the trade was dumb ( which most of us believed at the time), it's entirely another thing to claim a player's best attribute is actually their worst against all proof to the contrary.  

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Same.

I thought that Cooper was a bust. I had him his rookie year in Fantasy Football, after drafting him ~4th round, and he was routinely outplayed by Michael Crabtree. I avoided him the following year, but noticed that Crabtree again outproduced him on a regular basis, despite being seen as a clear #2 WR.

He has been the spark that combusted the Cowboys Inferno the second half of this year. I'm very happy to be 100% wrong on the Cooper trade.

Cooper had more yards and yards per catch in both of those season. Crabtree caught TDs though.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Cooper had more yards and yards per catch in both of those season. Crabtree caught TDs though.  

Well that must have been it. 

I just noticed that Cooper was consistently underwhelming on a Fantasy points level (in a non PPR league) and there seemed to be many more targets than catches.

I was not a Raider game watcher, so I didn't know the whole story, it just seemed like he wasn't "producing" like a WR1 should have been.

Whatever, I love the shit out of the guy now.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I don't live in Texas and I try not to watch any preseason football.

Never heard of the guy, but I guess that if he listed without a number, he's a practice squad guy. Is it not too late to promote people from the practice squad? Because the Cowboys are nearing a WR shortage crisis.

Lance Lenoir

He'll catch a football... Nevermore. 

I thought he played against Carolina but made some stupid ass return game mistake and got yanked for the season. They keep Noah Brown active instead of Lenoir because Brown is a big ass dude who blocks like a TE. 

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I remember thinking what tha fuck is this guy talking about. I couldn't even bring myself to respond to this nonsense.  Of all the criticisms to levy against him this one was straight out of bizzaroworld. 

He's a great athlete. I don't see anything sophisticated about his routes.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Why in the wide wide world of sports would someone want the Miami job? They have no fucking QB and no chance of getting one in the next year. Other than money, why make that move? He’d be better off staying for another year.

1) NFL teams stupidly looking for the next McVay kid offensive "genius" head coach and not looking at defensive coaches much these days. 

2) NFL not exactly looking to hire black HCs unless they're absolutely exceptional. Doesn't help that Marvin Lewis, Hugh Jackson, et al were terrible. 

He may think if he doesnt jump now he may not get a chance next year. He was a beast in Seattle while they had the legion of boom but they cut his ass out immediately once that talent left, and I'm sure he learned how fragile NFL jobs are at that point. 

It's weird to me that the current waive of hires has focused on offensive guys. Meanwhile, the Cowboys are having their most promising season in years based largely on having their best defense in at least a decade. Defense wins championships is a cliche but I'm starting to believe it. Romo put up huge offensive numbers but we always failed because the defense was a seive. We can finally stop guys and our young QB who struggles often is leading us through a pretty successful playoff run.  NFC title game, here we come!

Yes he does, mostly by being indecisive and taking too many sacks, but fortunately he rarely goes entire games like that. There's nothing wrong with admitting it, and I'm not saying he's bad, I think he's good not great. I blame the coaching more than him anyway. I think he'll come around and be a great consistent QB, but he'll need to do it on his own. Kellen fucking Moore ain't qualified for shit to be developing NFL QBs.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Why in the wide wide world of sports would someone want the Miami job? They have no fucking QB and no chance of getting one in the next year. Other than money, why make that move? He’d be better off staying for another year.

In theory, it’s easy to say that. But considering his stock is at an all time high and all of these teams are hiring offensive minded coaches, he might have to jump on this opportunity. 

It's amazing how much the Cowboys and Eagles look alike. Play defense to keep your team in the game for 3 quarters and have your QB who looks like shit for most of 3 quarters come alive and dominate the 4th to get in position to win. Eagles have some weird luck juju working with foles that's unexplainable so let's hope Dak gets some of that luck too. 

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

It's amazing how much the Cowboys and Eagles look alike. Play defense to keep your team in the game for 3 quarters and have your QB who looks like shit for most of 3 quarters come alive and dominate the 4th to get in position to win. Eagles have some weird luck juju working with foles that's unexplainable so let's hope Dak gets some of that luck too. 

Except that Dak doesn't look like Shit for 3 quarters.  He may have stretches, and may have some throws...but this is getting to be extremely tired, and completely wrong narrative.

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He needs a QB coach and a more imaginative to fully reach his potential 

Agree.  Dak is not NEARLY the problem most people think he is.  If he was in McVay's system, he'd be talked about like he's a future HOFer.

37 minutes ago, Drew said:

Except that Dak doesn't look like Shit for 3 quarters.  He may have stretches, and may have some throws...but this is getting to be extremely tired, and completely wrong narrative.

Agree.  Dak is not NEARLY the problem most people think he is.  If he was in McVay's system, he'd be talked about like he's a future HOFer.

He looks very Folesy for the first 3 quarters pretty routinely. It's why the defense has to keep them close almost every week and why they almost always trail going into the 4th. You don't have the NFL lead for 4th quarter comeback wins by blasting people's asses for the first 3 quarters. 

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

It's weird to me that the current waive of hires has focused on offensive guys. Meanwhile, the Cowboys are having their most promising season in years based largely on having their best defense in at least a decade. Defense wins championships is a cliche but I'm starting to believe it. Romo put up huge offensive numbers but we always failed because the defense was a seive. We can finally stop guys and our young QB who struggles often is leading us through a pretty successful playoff run.  NFC title game, here we come!

One home win vs wildcard team = pretty successful playoff run?

10 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

He looks very Folesy for the first 3 quarters pretty routinely. It's why the defense has to keep them close almost every week and why they almost always trail going into the 4th. You don't have the NFL lead for 4th quarter comeback wins by blasting people's asses for the first 3 quarters. 

WTF is "Folesy"?  Foles doesn't look bad in most of his starts, and especially in the playoffs.  Chicago made him look pedestrian, but they do that to everyone.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One home win vs wildcard team = pretty successful playoff run?

When most didn't even think they'd make the playoffs, or at best were 9-7 and squeak in, and damned sure weren't picked to win the division...and after they started 3-5 and everyone wrote them off...yes, it's a decently successful season.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

WTF is "Folesy"?  Foles doesn't look bad in most of his starts, and especially in the playoffs.  Chicago made him look pedestrian, but they do that to everyone.

Outside of the NFC championship game and super bowl last season foles looks like shit a ton. He just has a knack for making a play late if he's in a close game position to do so. A lot like Dak

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Dude you might want to go back and look.  Most on here were not saying Division Win(10 Wins) and a playoff win.

Vegas win total was 8. Comically, the Raiders were up at 9.5.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkay/2018/05/01/nfl-win-totals-2018-latest-odds-and-picks-for-every-team-following-nfl-draft-and-free-agency/#17701509875f

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

When most didn't even think they'd make the playoffs, or at best were 9-7 and squeak in, and damned sure weren't picked to win the division...and after they started 3-5 and everyone wrote them off...yes, it's a decently successful season.

What about in the context that the league should change it's thinking towards offense and model their teams after the cowboys?  Is this playoff run that successful because that is what was originally alluded. 

35 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

You do understand that under Garrett/Linehan, the Cowboys' sole object is to limit the other teams possessions, keep it close, and allow their team to win by controlling the ball, correct?   Their whole entire goal, their modus operandi?  

And you pin this on Prescott repeatedly?  Interesting. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You do understand that under Garrett/Linehan, the Cowboys' sole object is to limit the other teams possessions, keep it close, and allow their team to win by controlling the ball, correct?   Their whole entire goal, their modus operandi?  

Is it their plan to over throw receivers and make poor red zone throws until the 4th when all of a sudden lasers fly in perfectly on target? 

I like Dak. When the pressure is on and the game is on the line he steps up even in playoffs. The anti-playoff Romo. That doesn't mean he couldn't use a lot of improvement earlier in games. 

Edited by Junior Miller

This game looks 50-50 to me.

Rams have given up 5.3 ypc, Goff averages only 220 yds passing a game, and their ppg have dropped almost 10 a game in last 6 weeks. 

On the other side Cowboys defense is bottom 3 in the league in sacks and turnovers forced on the road and their offense only averages 17 ppg on road. 

Who knows what happens, although if it's a +-7 pt margin going into the 4th I'm betting on Dak over Goff. 

2 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Cant wait to see DLaw rip his head off if they draft him 

That's the same thing we said about the longhorns defense this year against him and he put up a lot of points on our defense in 2 games.

I do not want to see that lightning midget in the same backfield with Saquon Barkley but thanks to Garrett's stupidity they may now land him without even having to trade up. Thanks Garrett you fucking moron

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

People still don't get it.  And this is the main reason to hate the offensive system. It wins game BECAUSE you have a guy like Dak who'll play the conservative game plan until he's called on to do more.

41 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Is it their plan to over throw receivers and make poor red zone throws until the 4th when all of a sudden lasers fly in perfectly on target? 

I like Dak. When the pressure is on and the game is on the line he steps up even in playoffs. The anti-playoff Romo. That doesn't mean he couldn't use a lot of improvement earlier in games. 

Jesus you still make these stupid comments.  It's not like he sucks for 3 quarters and then all of a sudden starts playing better.  He's made PLENTY of great plays, and more often than not, plays well in the first 3 quarters.  He's just unreal in the moment in the 4th. 

You keep saying he only does these things in the first 3 quarters like it's some kind of slight.  The dude plays the game plan, and makes good and bad plays early.  Then the offense opens up when it has to, lead by him. 

For someone who keeps posting on here, you really don't watch the games very much, or you'd know that.

41 minutes ago, Drew said:

People still don't get it.  And this is the main reason to hate the offensive system. It wins game BECAUSE you have a guy like Dak who'll play the conservative game plan until he's called on to do more.

Jesus you still make these stupid comments.  It's not like he sucks for 3 quarters and then all of a sudden starts playing better.  He's made PLENTY of great plays, and more often than not, plays well in the first 3 quarters.  He's just unreal in the moment in the 4th. 

You keep saying he only does these things in the first 3 quarters like it's some kind of slight.  The dude plays the game plan, and makes good and bad plays early.  Then the offense opens up when it has to, lead by him. 

For someone who keeps posting on here, you really don't watch the games very much, or you'd know that.

For someone who's wrong you sure do sound sure of yourself. Pull Dak's pass accuracy stats on the season in Q1-3 then compare to his Q4 accuracy stats. It's a trend. 

Yes, take this with a big grain of salt. Found this on another message board. Not from me at all. But this would be very interesting if this happened.

"I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins. 

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on."