Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

It's amazing and terrible at the same time that if they win this week they'll be in the NFC Championship Game for the first time since I was there in Texas Stadium in January 1996.

With the same GM the entire time, the ultimate job security, no matter how poorly you perform there is zero chance of getting fired

16 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I like that Indy bet, they may be playing the best football of anyone in the league right now.

It’s crazy. I think the New England is easily the worst team left in the playoffs in the AFC. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if any of those 4 teams end up in the super bowl. 

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I want to see more of momma Hurns.

and less of the xrays. jesus that hurts just looking at it. It's going to take me 10 minutes to stop walking with a limp after seeing that.

Edited by Viper

Keep forgetting that Dallas is the youngest team in the playoffs.  Figured the Colts, Texans, Rams, or Chiefs might be. 

We forget that when getting onto this team at times.  They are really just learning how to do this playoffs and playing with success thing.  Also why they struggle on the road most likely.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yet they are pretty poor against the run. Giving up over 5 a carry this season. Establish the run with Zeke.

The LA D will come in with a priority of stopping the run - I predict a lot of blitzing to go along with it. First thing we do is burn 'em for cheating. Maybe we'll get to see more of Garwin. I guess they'll decide to shadow Dak or Zeke. Figure that out, then start mixing in the runs (with a healthy dose of Dak included).

Maybe it is the youth that's making this offense sputter. This would be a good time to put it all together. They've tended to be conservative unless they are tied or behind. They open it up a bit to get the lead, but then pull back on the throttle some. I'd really like to see them build up a comfortable lead early. They did a pretty good job of staying up on the Seahawks, and finally got some breathing room at the end.

If we can stop Brees, we can stop Goff. Just need to control the ball and put a bunch of points on the board. May not happen, but for once I'd like to see a game that doesn't take a year off my life.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Keep forgetting that Dallas is the youngest team in the playoffs.  

This is what I think as a GM you should do. A few high priced vets, and lots of young kids. Cost is less and injury is not such a liability. Of course you have to have a great scouting department to do this. See Indy’s makeover of bad oline to very very good line. 

Edited by Shaddie

Okay so I know we all think Garrett/Linehan/Jerrah sucks and all. I’ve lead the “fire Linehan now!” Contentigent becuase I think we’re stuck without jason...

But can we appreciate the run we’re in the midst of for just a minute?  Just think about it. 

Since 2014(5 total seasons), when they drafted Zach Martin and committed to this ball control, smash mouth and conservative type of football that we’re not fans of, we have seen 3 division titles and 2 playoff wins. 

That doesn’t jump out at your like the Pats run or Seattle’s SB runs obviously...but they now have almost as many playoff games(believe they had 5 playoff games between 96 and 2013) and as many wins(2) in the last 5 years as they had in the previous 17/18 seasons combined(they won in 96 and 09, no other wins between 97 and 13. 

No, it’s not enough. We need to get to at least a title game with these guys to be somewhat happy, but I thought we should at least give this brain trust and coaching at least a little credit for what they’ve done after almost 20 years of absolute crap. Even if I don’t think think they really can make a true SB run with some of these guys making the gameplan(of course this could be the weird season it happens, so whatever) 

Edited by Drew

Cowboys only have 3 healthy WRs?

Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, ... Noah Brown(?)

There is a guy listed as "ACT" (which I think means Active) named "Lance Lenoir", but he doesn't even have a jersey number on the NFL website.

Our other 3 WRs are/were:

Allen Hurns is OUT

Cole Beasley is not practicing with a sprained ankle

Tavon Austin is not practicing with a groin pull

INJURY REPORT: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009056/article/injuries-cowboys-wr-beasley-ankle-misses-practice

ROSTER: http://www.nfl.com/teams/roster?d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&team=DAL&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=persons.primary_Position.id.position_Id

I'm guessing Tavon pulled his groin on that second punt return he had where he slowed up. Otherwise he might have scored. Or at least went a lot further. Beasley should be fine. He came back after that injury early. I'm sure they are holding them out for precaution. It's not like practice at this point in the year is going to make some difference. Jerry said he is very positive both will play.

I’m hoping less is more with the cowboys wr. It’s infuriating to see them “go to the soft spot in the defense” instead of scheming and working amari in one on one coverage. We need to work amari until the defense over commits to stopping him, in that way we put them in a rock and hard place with Zeke.

Sometimes you gotta play to your strengths and not to their weaknesses...

6 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m hoping less is more with the cowboys wr. It’s infuriating to see them “go to the soft spot in the defense” instead of scheming and working amari in one on one coverage. We need to work amari until the defense over commits to stopping him, in that way we put them in a rock and hard place with Zeke.

Sometimes you gotta play to your strengths and not to their weaknesses...

This is what Troy was calling out for half the broadcast last Sat. 

So on his weekly spot with Ben & Skin on 105.3 yesterday, Travis Frederick was saying he has regained about 95% of his strength thus far.  Said now he's working on getting his conditioning back.  Said it was mostly the combination of strength and conditioning, i.e., being able to do strength things over his normal period of time at top level.  He can bench/squat what he used to in short bursts, and he can run normal conditioning drills, just can't do the reps he normally does nor the drills and weights combo to top level just yet.  

This bodes well for him having an entire offseason, after the SB of course, to get back to his All-Pro self.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Most of the fans have been saying that forever now. But it is what it is with this coaching staff.

well in the game, it was pointing out that the CB's for the Seahawks don't switch sides, and one of them was a hurt rookie(I think), so the Cowboys could get a favorable match up for Cooper any time they wanted. In some ways it's not as bad as not specifically game planning since it was a reaction to something that happened in-game, but in other ways it's worse since it was an even bigger mismatch opportunity than usual.

So I heard that the oldest starters on the entire Offense last week was Zach Martin at 28. Joe Looney and Tyron Smith are both 28 too, but slightly younger at 28 themselves.(Cole didn't start, but is 29).  

The Oldest starter on the entire team is Tyrone Crawford at 29.  Just crazy how young this team is.

Hate that we're sitting out while guys are getting hired.  Bowles is going to TB or Chicago.  I understand we're hamstrung, but I think we're going to lose Richard.  Gregg Williams is out there.  He's a douche bag but he can coach some D.

Those jobs are filling out fast. Which one do you think Richard is getting?

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
19 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:
Hate that we're sitting out while guys are getting hired.  Bowles is going to TB or Chicago.  I understand we're hamstrung, but I think we're going to lose Richard.  Gregg Williams is out there.  He's a douche bag but he can coach some D.

Those jobs are filling out fast. Which one do you think Richard is getting?

Miami.

Bowles to TB.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:28 PM, DougO said:

Cooper doesn't know how to get open any more. He's always had questionable hands. He's just not a sophisticated route runner, never embraced the mental aspects of the game. They even tried working him in the slot, it worked one time for a big game, then he was a total washout the rest of the year. He just couldn't adapt to the game.

Anyway, it's likely just more fake news because a big name has been mentioned as possible trade bait.

I remember thinking what tha fuck is this guy talking about. I couldn't even bring myself to respond to this nonsense.  Of all the criticisms to levy against him this one was straight out of bizzaroworld. 

• Like 1

I was on record saying the trade was dumb. Mainly the timing. We were 3-4 and that draft pick looked to be real valuable at the time. But yeah, that trade pretty much turned this team around. We lost our first game with him against the Titans but then never looked back after that except a hiccup against the Colts, who are also one of the hottest teams in the league. Without Cooper here, we would already be well into offseason talks. I am glad I was dead wrong on that trade. And he's also really young, too.

11 hours ago, Drew said:

I like how he said “some guy named lance Lenoir”. Lulz.  

He he must not have watched any pre season or saw any debate about him in the offseason. Some people were super high on him. Almost like Rico 

I don't live in Texas and I try not to watch any preseason football.

Never heard of the guy, but I guess that if he listed without a number, he's a practice squad guy. Is it not too late to promote people from the practice squad? Because the Cowboys are nearing a WR shortage crisis.