Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes, take this with a big grain of salt. Found this on another message board. Not from me at all. But this would be very interesting if this happened.

"I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins. 

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on."

Color me intrigued

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Color me intrigued

I was talking to my uncle about this last weekend. Garrett is not a good coach in terms of game planning and in game adjustments and what not. But the players do play for him. They have never quit like they did on Wade. Now the roster has turned over while he's been here and the roster is real young right now. Those are usually the guys who won't quit on a coach. It's the vets. Especially ones who have checked out after a big payday, which we had when Wade was fired. But he seems to be able to motivate these guys and keep them focused. There is value in that.

22 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes, take this with a big grain of salt. Found this on another message board. Not from me at all. But this would be very interesting if this happened.

"I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins. 

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on."

If they did that then Clay will be looking for first GM spot to open up. He is not staying to watch someone basically leapfrog him in the front office when Clay has basically been a defacto GM for the most part

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'd love to be wrong..... but there's no way that happens.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'd love to be wrong..... but there's no way that happens.

I don't think so either but it would give the fans what they want. To get Garrett off the field. Where he doesn't excel at all. I do think Garrett is very smart in other areas, though and does have value. Not sure if he wants to do a role like that, though. I'm sure he enjoys being down there in the coaching trenches where the action is and interacting with the players like he does. Any coach does. But we have seen coaches move more behind the scenes into these types of roles plenty of times.

I do know this team holds Richard in very high regards.

We are the top selling game this weekend on the secondary market. No surprise there. 14% of the tickets sold have Texas addresses. And this won't even include all the fans already out west for Dallas. Going to be pretty much a neutral site game in terms of the crowd.

The Cowboys-Rams game Saturday night is the best-selling divisional round playoff game of the weekend on StubHub, company officials said on Thursday.

Kickoff for the game is set for 7:15 p.m. CT at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Coverage on air will begin at 6 p.m. on FOX4. StubHub officials said the game is trending to be one of the top-selling divisional round games in its history.

StubHub, which is a secondary market venue for event tickets, said the average ticket price for the game is $381. People who don’t mind sitting all the way at the top or in a corner can get in for $275, the cheapest ticket available.

More than 4,400 tickets remain, and there will be a good number of Texans in the crowd. The majority of buyers live in California, but No. 2 on the list is Texas. StubHub said 14 percent of tickets sold on its platform have Texas addresses.

“As you’d expect from a team deemed 'America's Team,’ the Cowboys are consistently the most in-demand NFL team on StubHub at home and on the road during the regular season and we see that trend maintain in this game,” said Scott Jablonski, General Manager of NFL for StubHub in a statement to FOX4.

Jablonski said it’s possible the number of sales to Texas buyers will increase as people decided to make a last-minute trip to Los Angeles for the game.

A win would send Dallas to the NFC Championship Game for the first time since 1996.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was talking to my uncle about this last weekend. Garrett is not a good coach in terms of game planning and in game adjustments and what not. But the players do play for him. They have never quit like they did on Wade. Now the roster has turned over while he's been here and the roster is real young right now. Those are usually the guys who won't quit on a coach. It's the vets. Especially ones who have checked out after a big payday, which we had when Wade was fired. But he seems to be able to motivate these guys and keep them focused. There is value in that.

I agree. It was clear to me watching the Amazon Prime show on the Cowboys that Garrett is an excellent leader of men. Now as a game manager,  tactician,  and general evaluator of risk/benefits he's horrible, but there's no doubt that he gets people to believe in what he's doing.  

If that was the case why did he bother interviewing with other teams?

Just now, Quagmire said:

If that was the case why did he bother interviewing with other teams?

I mean a guy in his position is not going to turn down the interview. Especially for the experience you get from that and the opportunity. Networking as well. You''ll take any interview for a HC that comes along. Especially if you don't know for certain what your role will be here in the offseason.

That's the same thing we said about the longhorns defense this year against him and he put up a lot of points on our defense in 2 games.
I do not want to see that lightning midget in the same backfield with Saquon Barkley but thanks to Garrett's stupidity they may now land him without even having to trade up. Thanks Garrett you fucking moron

OMFG will you shut up with that crap again. You must be trolling, no one is this stupid
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

That's the same thing we said about the longhorns defense this year against him and he put up a lot of points on our defense in 2 games.

I do not want to see that lightning midget in the same backfield with Saquon Barkley but thanks to Garrett's stupidity they may now land him without even having to trade up. Thanks Garrett you fucking moron

NCAA ain't the NFL

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is just the dumbest most jerry idea ever, so I guess it could possibly be true. Garrett is not some 65 year old like Parcell's or Coughlin that's ready to step aside as coach and become GM. 

This move would create all sorts of internal drama and issues (which might be Jerry's goal, after-all). Not only that, you have a perfectly good de facto GM already in McClay. Unless we win the CCG, I want the clapping ginger gone as much as the next guy. But we need an offense minded HC, not Kris Richard. 

4 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Thought Connor held up well vs Seattle but this matchup doesn't favor him.  It's either Suh or Donald and their power will give him fits.  I think we'll need to scheme to help him a lot.

Also, sounds like Blake Jarwin will be out this weekend and Beasley not looking good either.

32 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thought Connor held up well vs Seattle but this matchup doesn't favor him.  It's either Suh or Donald and their power will give him fits.  I think we'll need to scheme to help him a lot.

Also, sounds like Blake Jarwin will be out this weekend and Beasley not looking good either.

Crap, I know Jarwin basically had only 1 game...but he did provide a threat.  And not having Cole for those 11 personnel groups is going to suck.