2018 Houston Texans Season Thread

tx 3 putt

It worked out today, but I fucking hate the strategy of running for the sake of making the opposition burn their timeouts rather than being aggressive and trying to get the first down that would end the game.  Washington had 10 in the box, fucking daring us to throw it.  Coaches say “You have to trust your defense”; why not trust your offense to get 10 yards ?

• Like 1

It worked out today, but I fucking hate the strategy of running for the sake of making the opposition burn their timeouts rather than being aggressive and trying to get the first down that would end the game.  Washington had 10 in the box, fucking daring us to throw it.  Coaches say “You have to trust your defense”; why not trust your offense to get 10 yards ?

I would say in this instance it was the right call. Our OL is/was busted, Watson had been getting pressure all day, and he was turning the ball over. An incomplete pass or a turnover are essentially worst case scenario.

I may have actually elected to pooch punt there. Make the backup QB go 45+ yards on the D and make a fg with no timeouts.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Have fun vomiting 

Ok, I just found one on the ESPN website. The way his leg looked flopping as he went down was pretty sick. Theismann had a compound fracture the bone sticking out of the skin didn’t he? That still takes the cake as most vomit inducing. On Gameday yesterday the Harvard freshman player who looked like made a routine tackle and now paralyzed and has to have a ventilator to breathe so that unifortunately is the worst of all.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

5 hours ago, Fico said:

I would say in this instance it was the right call. Our OL is/was busted, Watson had been getting pressure all day, and he was turning the ball over. An incomplete pass or a turnover are essentially worst case scenario.

I may have actually elected to pooch punt there. Make the backup QB go 45+ yards on the D and make a fg with no timeouts.

Yes the decision to kick the FG was retarded. Your kicker sucks Bob as does your RZ play calling.

As someone else said, we're playing not to lose and winning. Fortunately - the D has been nails the past few weeks when it's mattered and Deshaun pulls wins out of his ass about as well as any QB in the league right now.

Lately it's been a lot of games where it's been just enough to get the win. We need to get a little healthier and a little tighter if we want to really try and make a SB run - but I sure as shit wouldn't put it past these guys.

Let's hope this is the year we've been waiting for where everything clicks.

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

As someone else said, we're playing not to lose and winning. Fortunately - the D has been nails the past few weeks when it's mattered and Deshaun pulls wins out of his ass about as well as any QB in the league right now.

Lately it's been a lot of games where it's been just enough to get the win. We need to get a little healthier and a little tighter if we want to really try and make a SB run - but I sure as shit wouldn't put it past these guys.

Let's hope this is the year we've been waiting for where everything clicks.

Let's hope this is the year somebody else knocks the Patriots out of the playoffs so the Texans have a chance in hell.

Yeh don’t think the Texans are getting past the Chiefs, Patriots, Rams or Saints unless two stud OL show up and Will Fullers ACL magically heals

That being said, with a full draft this year, get Fuller and Foreman back 100% and this team could legitimately compete in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NFL is different like that...there's so much money in it for owners even if their team is mediocre (just misses playoffs or barely makes it in). By this point in the MLB or NBA season (or honestly, even before the season begins), you might have full blown tanking by several teams that have no interest in the quest for .500.

16 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeh don’t think the Texans are getting past the Chiefs, Patriots, Rams or Saints unless two stud OL show up and Will Fullers ACL magically heals

Texans will do their usual. Win the wildcard round and lose the next playoff game.

I didn't realize the Texans and Patriots are both 7-3. Texans have an outside chance of getting a bye. Their remaining 6 games are against teams that are a combined 23-36-1. With no team actually having a winning record. The Colts game at home is probably the most difficult game remaining, and you can never underestimate how bad BOB is at calling plays inside the RZ. The Texans should be no worse than 12-4 going into the playoffs, and really should run the table and get to 13-3.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I didn't realize the Texans and Patriots are both 7-3. Texans have an outside chance of getting a bye. Their remaining 6 games are against teams that are a combined 23-36-1. With no team actually having a winning record. The Colts game at home is probably the most difficult game remaining, and you can never underestimate how bad BOB is at calling plays inside the RZ. The Texans should be no worse than 12-4 going into the playoffs, and really should run the table and get to 13-3.

I love the Texans as much as anyone, but do you really think they have a chance to finish ahead of two of the following: Chiefs, Steelers, Pats?

3 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

I love the Texans as much as anyone, but do you really think they have a chance to finish ahead of two of the following: Chiefs, Steelers, Pats?

We should just forfeit the season. There's not use in risking getting anyone injured. Maybe we'll look better on paper in 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Yes, their remaining schedule is a joke.

The Steelers still have to play the Chargers, Patriots, and @Saints.

The Patriots only remaining difficult game appears to be @Steelers.

If the Texans run the table to get to 13-3 they will be the #2 seed in the AFC.

4 minutes ago, Jacob McCandles said:

I probably agree with you but it's worth noting that Pittsburgh and NE play each other week 15 and then Pittsburgh faces NO the following week.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, their remaining schedule is a joke.

If the Texans run the table to get to 13-3 they will be the #2 seed in the AFC.

I will buy everyone on this thread beers if the Texans run the table. I predict 11-5 record. Wouldn't be surprised with 10-6. 

23 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

That being said, with a full draft this year, get Fuller and Foreman back 100% and this team could legitimately compete in 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonus - no more Rick Smith at GM, hope his wife is OK 

shit, we should be in front of the steelers right now if not for that collapse by jax on sunday.

how about this - after mnf, the chiefs are 9-2.  if we beat the titans while they're off, we're only one game back.

lots of these teams play each other (or other tough teams) down the stretch.  anything is possible.

to me, i would just like to see us avoid the 4 seed.  you finish 4th, you probably get a tough charger team at home, then go to arrowhead.  you finish 3rd, you get someone (five teams are 5-5 right now) not that great at home, then go to foxboro to play a banged up/aging pats team that seems to be struggling on offense, and could be a decent matchup for us.  especially if gronk isn't 100%.

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

shit, we should be in front of the steelers right now if not for that collapse by jax on sunday.

how about this - after mnf, the chiefs are 9-2.  if we beat the titans while they're off, we're only one game back.

lots of these teams play each other (or other tough teams) down the stretch.  anything is possible.

to me, i would just like to see us avoid the 4 seed.  you finish 4th, you probably get a tough charger team at home, then go to arrowhead.  you finish 3rd, you get someone (five teams are 5-5 right now) not that great at home, then go to foxboro to play a banged up/aging pats team that seems to be struggling on offense, and could be a decent matchup for us.  especially if gronk isn't 100%.

For the Texans to give themselves the best chance of advancing in the Playoffs, their first goal s/b to simply finish with a better record than NE. Do that and you guarantee yourself you don't have to go through Foxboro(which has been a playoff house of horrors for them).

I'd be ok with them taking their chances in the playoffs with anyone else!

The way BoB likes to call games could play as an advantage to them come the playoffs. Playoff games, generally speaking, tend to get played a lil closer to the vest. And w/ BoB you know a couple of things are normally true: The Texans don't blow anyone out nor do they tend to get blown out by anyone either! They kind of play 'playoff' type games each week.

7 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

Based on our schedule? Yes. Yes we do. Our defense has improved week to week, we might be getting Foreman back soon and Deshaun is hopefully getting a little bit healthier at this point in the season. Then again - I could see us finishing 10-6. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Lopez and McClain yesterday on the radio both said this Oline is worse than last years.   

No wonder this fan base is retarded.

We had no first round draft pick to address the oline. We traded it away to move up and draft Watson. We all knew the oline was going to be poor coming into this season, yet everyone acts surprised and outraged when it plays out on the field.. The worst part about being a Texans fan is having to listen to other Texans fans constantly shit on them. 

1 minute ago, texashorne said:

We had no first round draft pick to address the oline. We traded it away to move up and draft Watson. We all knew the oline was going to be poor coming into this season, yet everyone acts surprised and outraged when it plays out on the field.. The worst part about being a Texans fan is having to listen to other Texans fans constantly shit on them. 

It also doesn't help that the RT they signed in FA got hurt 3-4 plays into the season, and the RG they signed to replace the previous RG they signed can't stay healthy game to game. Not too mention the LG they signed in FA is also been hurt a lot, and they are starting a 2nd year guy at LT that had little to no playing time last year.

I think the OL would have been slightly below average had it stayed healthy.

Of course, the Cowboys just replaced Connor Williams with Su'a-filo, so things could be worse.