Sterlin Gilbert

Katfid54

7 hours ago, Ramdiesel said:

That is like comparing apples to oranges.  2008 and 2009 were maybe the best football years overall in the history of the Big 12.  The in conference schedule was tough in those years.  2012?  We lost to just about every decent team we played with Harsin as OC.  We lost to OU, we lost to WVU, and we lost to TCU....You see the theme with Harsin at OC? ..I can't think of any game we won with Harsin as OC that we should not have won?  Yeah, he didnt ever have the teams or QBs to work with that Davis had, but neither did Leach at Tech, or Mangino at Kansas, or Pinkel at Mizzou, or Gundy at Okie State,  etc.  There was a lot of coaches in the Big 12 that won a lot of games with supposedly inferior athletes... The wins we got when Harsin was here were over cupcakes. We barely beat Baylor and Kansas in 2012.

Next hot take from Ramdiesel: Nolan Ryan was a mediocre pitcher in 1987 because he only won 8 games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ramdiesel said:

That is like comparing apples to oranges.  2008 and 2009 were maybe the best football years overall in the history of the Big 12.  The in conference schedule was tough in those years.  2012?  We lost to just about every decent team we played with Harsin as OC.  We lost to OU, we lost to WVU, and we lost to TCU....You see the theme with Harsin at OC? ..I can't think of any game we won with Harsin as OC that we should not have won?  Yeah, he didnt ever have the teams or QBs to work with that Davis had, but neither did Leach at Tech, or Mangino at Kansas, or Pinkel at Mizzou, or Gundy at Okie State,  etc.  There was a lot of coaches in the Big 12 that won a lot of games with supposedly inferior athletes... The wins we got when Harsin was here were over cupcakes. We barely beat Baylor and Kansas in 2012.

Did you miss the part where I let you know those stats accounted for the strength of defenses faced?

harsin had his hands tied at OC.  mack was a fucking idiot inserting his shit and the bullshit bleed for the program culture. there's a reason harsin left to coach for a school he never even visited.  he couldn't get out fast enough from under mack.  i wouldn't blame anything on harsin.  he only had 2 or 3 bullets in the chamber because mack held the rest or gave his ass blanks. 

what he did in the first ucla game is nothing short of amazing.  he manufactured offense from shitty ass players.  he beat aggy at there place with herpa-derp.  name me another oc that couldn't won that gave with herpe-derp and that shitty ass o-line?

look at what harsin is doing at boise.  he's not yet going undefeated but he's winning his conference almost every year.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That was me assuring you that the middle was off limits. And it was off limits for everything but the running game and those PA passes to the TE. 

Seriously, I watched every offensive snap of the V/S at BU ( Tulsa film was hard to come by) and that was an imperative. Also, there’s more like 12 passing concepts, all dirt simple and you end up with more plays by mixing and matching the run concepts in then RPO. 

Its college. There’s time constraints. There isn’t time for Shawn Watson’s 3 year playbook install. 10-15 passing concept RPO’s is plenty. 

I've argued on both sides of this, mostly playing devils advocate (imagine that) - that a more pro style offense can work eventually. But you're right and @MaybeACoordinatorhas mentioned it - Texas high school football has a lot of teams running spreads. It's just easier for the kids to grasp the concepts and much simpler by design to implement.

From my HS experience, I learned how maddening it is to have to learn new systems every year. I went to a private school that did not have a clue how to run a program. Freshman year we ran the option out of a split backfield. JV/varsity ran out of the I. Those coaches got fired after my junior year and the new coach went back to split backs, but a bunch of us just quit the team because it was quite obvious we were going to blow, again, and we thought our time was better spent chasing skirts and getting fucked up. And maybe not being so tired after practice you could study at home without your head sinking into a puddle of nap-drool in your textbooks.  

CSB and all, but the moral is this: we need to stop reinventing the wheel and let the players do what they've been doing since 9th grade or maybe even longer. Sorry, Tom and Tim, but you can't wave pixie dust over players whose muscle memory is programmed one way and then expect it to readjust to your concepts. HS coaches like Briles laid down a blueprint that we need to follow. (Aside from rape.)

7 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I've argued on both sides of this, mostly playing devils advocate (imagine that) - that a more pro style offense can work eventually. But you're right and @MaybeACoordinatorhas mentioned it - Texas high school football has a lot of teams running spreads. It's just easier for the kids to grasp the concepts and much simpler by design to implement.

Plug and play.  There's a lesser drop-off with QB and skill position turnover, and the importance of the OL and TE/H back's role is lessened to a degree because many of the short handoffs of yesteryear are now WR screens or speed outs to the slots.  I think Gundy is on record as saying that his offense only has 10 plays.  Granted, they're nearly all RPO's where run concepts can be mixed and matched, and nearly all the routes are read/option routes, but it really doesn't need to be harder than that.  A hoss of a defensive team might handle the LOS with 3-4 DL and manage the passing game, but there's only so many Clemsons/Alabamas out there, and they usually aren't on the schedule.

I nearly force choked Shawn Watson when he had the audacity to say that it would only take 3 years for the WR routes to look exactly as they were drawn up.  Enjoy Pittsburgh Shawn.

19 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Plug and play.  There's a lesser drop-off with QB and skill position turnover, and the importance of the OL and TE/H back's role is lessened to a degree because many of the short handoffs of yesteryear are now WR screens or speed outs to the slots.  I think Gundy is on record as saying that his offense only has 10 plays.  Granted, they're nearly all RPO's where run concepts can be mixed and matched, and nearly all the routes are read/option routes, but it really doesn't need to be harder than that.  A hoss of a defensive team might handle the LOS with 3-4 DL and manage the passing game, but there's only so many Clemsons/Alabamas out there, and they usually aren't on the schedule.

I nearly force choked Shawn Watson when he had the audacity to say that it would only take 3 years for the WR routes to look exactly as they were drawn up.  Enjoy Pittsburgh Shawn.

Yeah, but those kids will be so much more NFL ready.

#winningisn'teverything

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

If it takes you 3 years to teach WR routes, you're fucking doing it wrong. Sure it may seem exotic and scientific, but the thing is when the RPO guys are clearly doing it better than you are, if you're not re-thinking how you do shit, you're in the wrong business.

• 5 months later...

Go be a Volunteer QC for Sterlin....

McNeese State (FCS – LA): McNeese State University is looking to fill 3 VOLUNTEER quality control positions. One position will be devoted strictly to Recruiting, while the other two positions will be Offensive/Video QC and a Defensive/Video QC. These positions are strictly voluntary – there will be NO HOUSING, NO MEALS and NO COMPENSATION. We are looking for individuals that are highly motivated and are looking to gain experience in this profession. Applicants with experience in DVSport will be highly considered. Applicants must be able to pass a Background Check administered by the University. If interested, please send cover letter, resume and list of references to dshay1@mcneese.edu.

• Like 1

Hamm already lives in his car, and is unemployed, not sure he could pass the background check. But here is his chance to gain experience in THAT profession. He at least has his Facebook page to show his recruiting chops.

CHIEF

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Go be a Volunteer QC for Sterlin....

McNeese State (FCS – LA): McNeese State University is looking to fill 3 VOLUNTEER quality control positions. One position will be devoted strictly to Recruiting, while the other two positions will be Offensive/Video QC and a Defensive/Video QC. These positions are strictly voluntary – there will be NO HOUSING, NO MEALS and NO COMPENSATION. We are looking for individuals that are highly motivated and are looking to gain experience in this profession. Applicants with experience in DVSport will be highly considered. Applicants must be able to pass a Background Check administered by the University. If interested, please send cover letter, resume and list of references to dshay1@mcneese.edu.

Do you think Major will pass the background check?

11 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I promise I contemplated changing the order, but I thought that might come across as elitist.

I, fortunately, stopped caring about appearing elitist a long time ago. It helps that there is zero question about my preeminence compared to my immediate neighbors. I may have to revisit the question once I move, of course.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Pal of Mao said:

This seems like a weird partnership. What could they possibly offer to enhance our camp? 

Camps aren't just for the bluechips. They're actually in large part for the more average kids who are looking for G5, FCS, and NAIA offers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, TexasFan21 said:

We now see what kind of program he is running. 

Bottom to top:

Player 1: "Please don't get hard." 

Player 2: "Please don't get hard." 

Player 3: "Please don't get hard." 

Player 4: "Please don't get hard." 

Player 5: "Please don't get hard." 

Player 6: "Please don't get hard." 

Player 7: "I am hard as a rock."