Cord Cutters Thread

I'm completely ignorant on cord cutting. I've always just said screw it and paid my ever increasing satellite bill. Well, now that my agreement is about to end, and having to watch spending more closely due to being unemployed for 2 FUCKING YEARS, it's time to get educated. We have a 75" Samsung Smart TV. Do you have to have internet with Fire Sticks or other similar devices etc?

I'm completely ignorant on cord cutting. I've always just said screw it and paid my ever increasing satellite bill. Well, now that my agreement is about to end, and having to watch spending more closely due to being unemployed for 2 FUCKING YEARS, it's time to get educated. We have a 75" Samsung Smart TV. Do you have to have internet with Fire Sticks or other similar devices etc?

You need internet and have several options:

1 - your TV is a Smart TV so it has built in apps on it.

2 - you can buy an external device (Roku, firestick, etc) and use that.

In my experience, buying an external device is easier to use and doesn’t get as clunky as using the built in apps on the TV, although they will both work in their own way.

There are a ton of free apps that are out there (Pluto, Tubi, etc) that have movies and tv shows. Similar to a cell phone, there are different apps you can download and navigate through.

You can pay for a service (we have YouTubeTV but there’s also Hulu and other options). We pay $80 or so for YouTubeTV and it works on all the TVs in the house and can be watched by multiple people at the same time. For sports and things you’ll more than likely need one of these services. You can also use an antenna for local channels but that is another conversation.

6 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

In my experience, buying an external device is easier to use and doesn’t get as clunky as using the built in apps on the TV, although they will both work in their own way.

There are a ton of free apps that are out there (Pluto, Tubi, etc) that have movies and tv shows. Similar to a cell phone, there are different apps you can download and navigate through.

You can pay for a service (we have YouTubeTV but there’s also Hulu and other options). We pay $80 or so for YouTubeTV and it works on all the TVs in the house and can be watched by multiple people at the same time. For sports and things you’ll more than likely need one of these services. You can also use an antenna for local channels but that is another conversation.

We don't currently have internet and I would have to sign up with a satellite provider. That in combination with various app subscriptions would put me close to what I'm paying now.

This. Also, you don't have to buy an external device, but you probably want one for an older TV. They can be very slow. You might be perfectly happy with the speed of the apps on a newer TV.

I use Roku stuff. It hooks up to your TV like a dvd player or other device. Fire devices (amazon), or an appleTV are similar. Depends on if you're already in one of the ecosystems or not. I started way back with a chromecast, but switched to roku pretty quickly and haven't looked back.

From there you add apps to the device (Max, Peacock, ESPN, whatever), log into the app, and off you go. You can use your TV, depending on what apps it can handle. Me personally, it's worth the extra for a dedicated box as they tend to function better than a TV's smart features.

With streaming apps, a few recommendations:

1) Sign up for an app directly with that provider. Don't signup through roku, amazon, or something else. It's much easier to log in on other devices and such, or on your computer.

2) Figure out what you actually watch on cable. The big deal around here is sports, and whether or not you watch the shit out of the RSN's or not. Some do, some don't. IF you gotta have the RSN's, look into FuboTV. It's the top end of streaming TV price points, but has the RSN's and pretty much everything. Fubo runs $75-$95/mo depending on plan. (Fubo.tv)

After Fubo, compare to YoutubeTV (YTTV). It's what a lot of people in this thread, myself included, are using. It's pretty good, and relatively fair priced overall. Aside from RSN's, it's got the rest. YTTV runs about $75/mo. (tv.youtube.com)

Next, check into Hulu's live TV. It's about the same price point as YTTV ($75-ish/mo) on its own, but here's a kicker that may help: If you end up with the disney bundle (which includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu) and then add hulu live tv, it's cheaper than on its own. So if you were to decide that you wanted dis/espn+/hulu, then it's cheaper to go with hulu's live tv over YTTV, etc. (hulu.com)

Finally, there are some much cheaper options for half these or less. There's Sling TV, Philo, or Frndly. (sling.com, philo.com, frndlytv.com)

The above are effectively streaming cable packages. figure out the channels you actually watch, and compare to what each offers.

3) Figure out what shows you watch, new or old, and what service has them. The main ones you gotta have 24/7/365 access to, subscribe to those apps. Shows that you watch now and then, or prefer to binge, you can rotate your subscriptions and only pay for one at a time. Finish catching up, cancel and move onto the next one. Rinse, repeat as needed.

4) Beware of the streaming "sticks" vs "boxes". They're the same thing, but the boxes give you better performance. You can use ethernet vice wifi, better processors/memory/format compatibility (HDR, Atmos, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

We don't currently have internet and I would have to sign up with a satellite provider. That in combination with various app subscriptions would put me close to what I'm paying now.

Internet runs me about $100/mo. If you have to go satellite, look at starlink. I think it's $125. With a streaming cable package (YTTV, Hulu, etc) you're at $200 or less if you go Philo or other smaller option.) Plus any additional apps of your choosing, as desired. Check things like your cell plan, or other potential service you already have, and see if they come with a service as a bonus. For example, I get Max (ad free, even!) with my cell plan. One less streaming sub to pay for. There's also mobile internet as well. HughesNet (or whatever they call the direcTV/dishTV bullshit internet these days is one to avoid like the plague.)

All in all, I went from a $315 cable bill to $100 and YTTV. Saving around $150/mo. Don't get me wrong, I have the disney trio bundle, peacock, and paramount+ as well, but I already had those and consider that a wash. I'll potentially drop paramount+ after the first of the year, but not sure. Paramount+ also comes with showtime now, at $11/mo total. Not a bad deal at all really, considering it's both for what they were for each.

Then there's other options too, but not sure how much you want to get into something like that. By that I mean you get a fire device, side load an app like Blitzen (sp?), and get everything on TV for $10/mo. More hassle than it's worth for me right now. You can't get in trouble, but they can and you may not have TV one morning and have to find another one.

I know people who use it, and it works fine. But there's always that "what if" that could hit at any moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Internet runs me about $100/mo. If you have to go satellite, look at starlink. I think it's $125. With a streaming cable package (YTTV, Hulu, etc) you're at $200 or less if you go Philo or other smaller option.) Plus any additional apps of your choosing, as desired. Check things like your cell plan, or other potential service you already have, and see if they come with a service as a bonus. For example, I get Max (ad free, even!) with my cell plan. One less streaming sub to pay for. There's also mobile internet as well. HughesNet (or whatever they call the direcTV/dishTV bullshit internet these days is one to avoid like the plague.)

All in all, I went from a $315 cable bill to $100 and YTTV. Saving around $150/mo. Don't get me wrong, I have the disney trio bundle, peacock, and paramount+ as well, but I already had those and consider that a wash. I'll potentially drop paramount+ after the first of the year, but not sure. Paramount+ also comes with showtime now, at $11/mo total. Not a bad deal at all really, considering it's both for what they were for each.

Then there's other options too, but not sure how much you want to get into something like that. By that I mean you get a fire device, side load an app like Blitzen (sp?), and get everything on TV for $10/mo. More hassle than it's worth for me right now. You can't get in trouble, but they can and you may not have TV one morning and have to find another one.

I know people who use it, and it works fine. But there's always that "what if" that could hit at any moment.

Ouch! I'm at $126/month now.

Thanks for all the info.

We were pushing $300 with Directv when we left several years back. We had 4 DVRS in various rooms of the house and I can’t even remember what package we had.

We now use AT&T internet, YoutubeTV, and have various streaming services, Max is free with our AT&T cell phones, we have Netflix and Amazon Prime (not much that we watch on it though) and randomly sign up/cancel Disney, Paramount, and Apple if there is something that we want to watch.

$60ish for Internet
$80ish for YouTubeTV
Depends on the streaming services for the rest so it’s still much cheaper for us than going back.

• Like 1

I finally did it a few days ago when my Uverse bill hit about $220 a month for TV and internet. That was an enjoyable phone call. "Even though you fuckers have dicked me around numerous times, I'd stay with you if you'd work at all with me with the price. But every time I try you tell me to eat shit. Well, you're losing a customer of about 15 years now."

"What if we take $10 a month off your bill?"

"lol"

"What would it take to keep your business?"

"Shave about $110 a month off. Or, what I'll be saving when I switch to youtube tv."

"Oh we can't do that sir."

"I know. Bye." 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is anyone using Hulu + Live TV?

I've been considering switching from YTTV to that. $90 all in for dis/hulu (no ads), espn+. Already have the trio bundle, switching from YTTV saves a few bucks.

Not my main concern though. My main reason is there are 5 or 6 shows on the History channel that I watch, and getting them through other sources at $25/season kinda sucks. Especially when they don't show up a few hours after (like they're supposed to) and it takes almost a week instead. Kinda shitty.

The only channel I'd lose would be AMC, but that really isn't a loss. Only show there I watch is Dark Winds, and that streams next day on MAX. So no loss there, really. The rest of AMC's stuff doesn't hold interest, and I can stream any movie that would be on there anyway (and without commercials.)

I’ve seen those, but not overly impressed. Especially all the extra I’d have to do, or at least should do when running one of those.

Not really something I’m interested in at the moment. Bad enough teaching the wife to go to hulu vice yttv if I switch. Tech savvy she is not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bally's was months away from going away and the crappy contracts that block most from being able to actually watch the games. Amazon basically came in and saved them. It sucks. Yes Amazon streaming "should" fix the crap that Bally's was, but I'm still going to be blacked out from games anyway...

Yesterday was my first day in the cord cutting/youtubetv world. Question: There are blocks of ads on recorded shows, that cannot be skipped. Two minutes at a time. Not the actual commercials that showed during the broadcast. Is this normal? Because that is fucking bullshit. 

21 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yesterday was my first day in the cord cutting/youtubetv world. Question: There are blocks of ads on recorded shows, that cannot be skipped. Two minutes at a time. Not the actual commercials that showed during the broadcast. Is this normal? Because that is fucking bullshit. 

if you have a VOD version (i think it is a small yellow VOD logo), then yes. that's the case across the board i think with every cord cutting program.

if you have a DVR/recorded version of your show, you can FF through the commercials but only for X days before it flips over to DVR.

if you just added it to your list (like you likely did since you started yesterday) you may only have the option to watch VOD versions of the show since you didn't have it added to your record list until recently.

some channels i think only allow you to have VOD versions after like 7? days

Edited by NoName

6 hours ago, NoName said:

if you have a DVR version (i think it is a small yellow DVR logo), then yes. that's the case across the board i think with every cord cutting program.

if you have a recorded version of your show, you can FF through the commercials but only for X days before it flips over to DVR.

if you just added it to your list (like you likely did since you started yesterday) you may only have the option to watch DVR'd versions of the show since you didn't have it added to your record list until recently.

some channels i think only allow you to have DVR'd versions after like 7? days

Maybe I am misunderstanding what NoName is trying to say but I think DVR should be replaced with VOD (Video on Demand) throughout that explanation.

Either way, the concept he describes is correct.  Your goal is to watch the versions you have recorded so you can skip the commercials.

• Hook 'Em 3

With the dvr, if you recorded it you should be fine. If it comes from vod, then not so much.

The only thing I’ve noticed is some shows on dvr will force commercials, but only within the first 24hrs of recording. And those are very few/far between.

The wife uses the dvr mostly. I have 1 show off discovery, but that’s it really. The others I have are Texas games, just in case I have to be somewhere else (yeah, ok.)

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, orange dream said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding what NoName is trying to say but I think DVR should be replaced with VOD (Video on Demand) throughout that explanation.

Either way, the concept he describes is correct.  Your goal is to watch the versions you have recorded so you can skip the commercials.

yeah, it's VOD not DVR!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As is all over the news today, I got an email from both Disney and Hulu who are locking down password sharing. Went into effect for new signups Jan 25th, and kicks in no later than Mar 14th for current subscribers. It will kick in earlier if you agree to it in the app or on their site before then.

On the password sharing crackdowns…

I feel like I’m probably missing something and I haven’t looked much into the details of what Hulu and Disney plan. Let’s say it’s something like Netflix which, as I understand it, means the device has to be on/used on the “home” network every 30 days or so. 

My understanding is that Hulu and Disney+ work with Airplay, but Netflix doesn’t. So, given a physical streaming device — Apple TV, Roku, anything that supports all three — if said device makes the trip to my house once a month, and all three apps are fired up just for good measure, these three services should be good to go for another month or so… yes? No?

My friend  said she got cut off from using my Netflix, and they sent me something that I didn't pay attention to about my account being used elsewhere blah blah blah. I didn't think anything of it since I voluntarily shared it and so big deal if it is gong away. 

My Netflix monthly amount goes up and I am like "inflation is such a bitch!" and go on about my life. Fast forward to last weekend and I go visit her and go to put my Netflix on her TV. Guess who still has Netflix and why my bill went up? I thought they were cutting her off, but I think the shit letter they sent me was to either bump my friend off or we will  bill you to pay for her too. Fuck, okay, but I was thinking of dumping Netflix for a while to catch up on Hulu shows and now I got baggage. FML

I cut ATT Uverse this week and picked up YTTV. 

The first item of business is to figure out a path to Space City Home Network l that doesn't involve Fubo or DirectTV.

Anything else I need to know?

Edited by Saint Tacky
corrected "Space City Home Network"

My friend  said she got cut off from using my Netflix, and they sent me something that I didn't pay attention to about my account being used elsewhere blah blah blah. I didn't think anything of it since I voluntarily shared it and so big deal if it is gong away. 
My Netflix monthly amount goes up and I am like "inflation is such a bitch!" and go on about my life. Fast forward to last weekend and I go visit her and go to put my Netflix on her TV. Guess who still has Netflix and why my bill went up? I thought they were cutting her off, but I think the shit letter they sent me was to either bump my friend off or we will  bill you to pay for her too. Fuck, okay, but I was thinking of dumping Netflix for a while to catch up on Hulu shows and now I got baggage. FML

Pics of friend to help you determine if paying the extra money for her account is worth it?

58 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I cut ATT Uverse this week and picked up YTTV. 

The first item of business is to figure out a path to Space City Home Network l that doesn't involve Fubo or DirectTV.

Anything else I need to know?

You’ll have to pirate since those are the only 2 platforms who carry it 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Am close to ditching Spectrum cable. Got a stupid question. When HuluLiveTV/YouTubeTV/whatever have local channels is the content truly what those channels carry? As in a Sunday broadcast of the Texans or Cowboys on the local station?

Am close to ditching Spectrum cable. Got a stupid question. When HuluLiveTV/YouTubeTV/whatever have local channels is the content truly what those channels carry? As in a Sunday broadcast of the Texans or Cowboys on the local station?

Yes. Your locals are based off of your zip code. We’ve lived in two different cities since switching to YTTV and never had any problems with the service.
  • Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

Yes. Your locals are based off of your zip code. We’ve lived in two different cities since switching to YTTV and never had any problems with the service.

This. Local channels are exactly that, your local channels. Just like on cable.

Do be prepared to lose the RSN’s with YTTV though,  and History. If those 2 are important to you, Hulu’s Live TV has those, but they don’t have AMC. Again, if that’s important to you.

I’ve been considering trying Hulu, as I’d rather have History and RSN’s. Plus with already having their bundle, I’d get a little knocked off the monthly rate. Still not sure if I want to do that, even though switching back isn’t a thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

This. Local channels are exactly that, your local channels. Just like on cable.

Do be prepared to lose the RSN’s with YTTV though,  and History. If those 2 are important to you, Hulu’s Live TV has those, but they don’t have AMC. Again, if that’s important to you.

I’ve been considering trying Hulu, as I’d rather have History and RSN’s. Plus with already having their bundle, I’d get a little knocked off the monthly rate. Still not sure if I want to do that, even though switching back isn’t a thing.

Are you sure Hulu has the RSNs? I was looking at the channel lineup for Austin on their site and I didn't see those channels listed. If they do offer the RSNs, I'm going to switch away from YouTube. I love YTTV, but with baseball season starting, I would like to watch the Rangers and Astros.

• Hook 'Em 1

Are you sure Hulu has the RSNs? I was looking at the channel lineup for Austin on their site and I didn't see those channels listed. If they do offer the RSNs, I'm going to switch away from YouTube. I love YTTV, but with baseball season starting, I would like to watch the Rangers and Astros.
I know Fubo does.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I thought they did, but Fear is right and Fubo definitely does. I may be confused, but overall point being check the provider lineup to make sure there isn’t something missing you really want.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Which RSNs should I be looking for? The Bally networks?

I have MLB.TV for my Braves and LHN/ESPN+ for the Horns. Everything else are local and various "general" networks (e.g. USA, TBS, etc).

I have MLB.TV for my Braves and LHN/ESPN+ for the Horns. Everything else are local and various "general" networks (e.g. USA, TBS, etc).
Bally SW will have Rangers/Stars/Mavs. I am less familiar with the Houston RSN situation, but my Fubo last year (I live in FW) had the Astros on whatever they call it now. If you DGAF about those teams then it doesn't matter which service you choose.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
2 hours ago, Fuga said:

Bally SW will have Rangers/Stars/Mavs. I am less familiar with the Houston RSN situation, but my Fubo last year (I live in FW) had the Astros on whatever they call it now. If you DGAF about those teams then it doesn't matter which service you choose.

Yeah FUBO had it.  But IMO FUBO is a massively inferior product to YTTV.  I switched back to YTTV as soon as Rangers regular season ended and went 2-3 months with no Bally's but ended up just paying Bally's the $20/month direct for Stars/Mavs and will keep for Rangers.  I wanted to avoid that on principal but Sinclair is deep enough in BK that small growth in subscribers won't move the needle.  

Yeah FUBO had it.  But IMO FUBO is a massively inferior product to YTTV.  I switched back to YTTV as soon as Rangers regular season ended and went 2-3 months with no Bally's but ended up just paying Bally's the $20/month direct for Stars/Mavs and will keep for Rangers.  I wanted to avoid that on principal but Sinclair is deep enough in BK that small growth in subscribers won't move the needle.  
No streaming with the Rangers like Stars/Mavs, Bally's doesn't have the rights.

12 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

No streaming with the Rangers like Stars/Mavs, Bally's doesn't have the rights.

So your only option is shitty FUBO?  Fantastic. 

• Like 1