2018 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

I think LSU is the team that has to worry - #43 RPI and #102 Non-conference SOS. That said, are there really that many teams better than the 11 in the SEC that appear to be qualified? 

This is kind of like the Big XII in basketball - we had three teams with losing conference records make the big dance. There may not be anyone better and they have to fill out 33 at-large teams. 

42 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think LSU is the team that has to worry - #43 RPI and #102 Non-conference SOS. That said, are there really that many teams better than the 11 in the SEC that appear to be qualified? 

This is kind of like the Big XII in basketball - we had three teams with losing conference records make the big dance. There may not be anyone better and they have to fill out 33 at-large teams. 

The bigger issue is that back when the SEC wasn't good at baseball the NCAA committee would give them berths and regionals because the tournament "was supposed to be regional in nature" and they didn't want there to be too many teams from the West.

Funny how that's not a thing anymore now that the SEC is good at baseball. If the system were fair then the Pac-12 and Big 12 would take the places from deserving SEC teams because that happened for decades when the East was worse than the West.

• Like 4

^^^^^^

ACC got extra benefit from the Selection Committee for decades, too.  Southeastern schools from the SEC and ACC would take 3/4 of the regionals, while the really good teams from Texas and the West were getting funneled into the other 1/4 of them.  Absolutely ridiculous, and as you point out, the southeastern schools are still benefitting from this regional bias.

Anyway, all you can do is win.

44 minutes ago, utee94 said:

^^^^^^

ACC got extra benefit from the Selection Committee for decades, too.  Southeastern schools from the SEC and ACC would take 3/4 of the regionals, while the really good teams from Texas and the West were getting funneled into the other 1/4 of them.  Absolutely ridiculous, and as you point out, the southeastern schools are still benefitting from this regional bias.

Anyway, all you can do is win.

The ACC is criminally overrated in baseball. No argument there. 

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The bigger issue is that back when the SEC wasn't good at baseball the NCAA committee would give them berths and regionals because the tournament "was supposed to be regional in nature" and they didn't want there to be too many teams from the West.

Funny how that's not a thing anymore now that the SEC is good at baseball. If the system were fair then the Pac-12 and Big 12 would take the places from deserving SEC teams because that happened for decades when the East was worse than the West.

I'd love nothing more than to see the SEC (especially aggy) get hosed but I disagree that the SEC hasn't been good at baseball. In fact, I can't remember a time when the SEC wasn't good at baseball. Now have they been given the benefit of the doubt more than they should? Absolutely. But I don't see how that's relevant to this year when they are actually good and likely deserving of a ton of bids.

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'd love nothing more than to see the SEC (especially aggy) get hosed but I disagree that the SEC hasn't been good at baseball. In fact, I can't remember a time when the SEC wasn't good at baseball. Now have they been given the benefit of the doubt more than they should? Absolutely. But I don't see how that's relevant to this year when they are actually good and likely deserving of a ton of bids.

How does their conference schedule work now?  I doubt they play 13 series, do they?  Did all the top 20 teams play each other?

52 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How does their conference schedule work now?  I doubt they play 13 series, do they?  Did all the top 20 teams play each other?

For the most part yes even though they don't all play 13 series. It can be unbalanced as it was for Arkansas who played both Florida and Georgia. aggy really got the short end playing the top three from the East as well has having to play Piggy and Ole Miss in their own division.

That said, I can see the argument where they might be in trouble simply because they lost so many games. They got South Carolina, Florida, and Ole Miss at home and went 3-6 against them. It will be interesting to see what the committee does. I think they get in regardless but get a really low seed. 

Then you apparently don't remember decades of baseball. It's not that the SEC wasn't good, it's that it wasn't as good as the Big 12, the Pac-12, and even the Big West.
  • Like 1

Aggy finishes 4 games below .500 in conference play.  They finished 11th out of 14.  They lost nearly all of the series in conference.  sec will probably get at least 10 teams in.  Aggy should not be one of them.  If they are “rewarded” with a Horns regional, that would be blasphemy.  If they get it, send their ass to Stanford.  Let them do it the old fashioned way.....let them earn it!

The SEC has almost always been strong at the top.  That's not at all the same thing as strong top to bottom, and they have received a ridiculous leg up in both # teams and seedings over the years, particularly at the expense of the West coast.

20 hours ago, The Dog said:

Whatever - you’re right.

He is right.  The SEC hasn't been historically great at baseball, and they've been undeservedly rewarded in # of teams, seeding, and # of regionals granted to their teams, for decades.

All at the expense of teams in Texas and the West.

16 minutes ago, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

Aren't all of those teams conference champions this season? That seems like a very difficult regional.

They play in meh to bad conferences. 

UH is 48 in RPI, Fullerton is 56 in RPI, and Pepperdine is 101 in RPI. 

I would love that draw. 

25 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Congrats to him, but how did Blair Henley get second team all conference??

If you look around and think about it, pitching in the BigXII has been pretty woeful this year.  So his 3.54 ERA might not be that bad.

Kind of startling that he got second team and Parker Joe honorable mention, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think 10 SEC teams make the tourney,and aggy isn’t one of them. Vandy is going to end their season Tuesday before lunch.

Unfortunately,  aggy just beat Vandy 3-1 in the single elimination bracket of the SEC tourney.    Now go to double elimination vs Georgia on Wednesday.

Very likely made the NCAA field of 64. 

1 minute ago, torre said:

Unfortunately,  aggy just beat Vandy 3-1 in the single elimination bracket of the SEC tourney.    Now go to double elimination vs Georgia on Wednesday.

Good. I hope they come to Austin so we can beat the shit out of them and send them home crying.

3 minutes ago, torre said:

Yeah I think so too

1 minute ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Good. I hope they come to Austin so we can beat the shit out of them and send them home crying.

This would be glorious

Big XII Disappointment of the Year:

Steven Gingery falling to injury in Tech's first series of the season, only to not play again in this campaign.

Injuries are injuries, but it sucks ass that we did not get to see him pitch this year, especially in Big XII play.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Big XII Disappointment of the Year:

Steven Gingery falling to injury in Tech's first series of the season, only to not play again in this campaign.

Injuries are injuries, but it sucks ass that we did not get to see him pitch this year, especially in Big XII play.

Maybe if their mound wasn’t Mount Tommy John

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Has Texas ever had a bad looking baseball uniform in its history?  All of them are just so good. 

If it was a different color, I might be inclined to agree...

5 hours ago, Schnitty3 said:

Not sure if this has been posted or if this where to post it but, I’ve been hearing that schlossnaggle to miss st is already done. 2mil/yr

If true, TCU should just hire Saarloos. Rumors Saarloos is in play for the Rice job. 

Schloss would obviously be a great hire but without Saarloos it definitely takes a hit.