Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Nah. Spend a couple million on a 1500 square foot dump in San Fran where you get a nice long commute and get to step over needles and piles of shit from street people.  

California is wonderful if you’re a one percenter.  

I think its a great place. I'm not a one percenter. I dont step over needles and piles of shit. What am I doing wrong? I mean, besides not intentionally going to skid row to hang out with homeless people?

Take a break from the "california is one large pile of needles and feces" pieces written by persons who live in Plano.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’m just saying, my experience is that it’s simply not worth it (from a cost of living, taxes and personality of people). Sure they have a ton of Chinese and Indian but so does any good subrurb in a Texas city so I’m not being racist. Just would not want to live there and call that my life.

Your mileage varies and good for you, I just don’t appreciate the things you do I guess which is apparently living amongst people with higher than average GDP and in a state with great universities as if that matters to your day to day life.

How does this even relate to what is being discussed besides telling people that you don't want to live near non-white people?

Just now, Foosters said:

I think its a great place. I'm not a one percenter. I dont step over needles and piles of shit. What am I doing wrong? I mean, besides not intentionally going to skid row to hang out with homeless people?

Take a break from the "california is one large pile of needles and feces" pieces written by persons who live in Plano.

did yall not know that here are also LITERALLY no-go zones in london where the metropolitan police won't go, and where sharia law rules by fiat?

• Like 2

Also, you people realize that California is a pretty large region with towns, cities, rural, and urban zones, right?

It's like saying, "man, the United States fucking sucks! I spent a day in Times Square and, boy, I just dont know how anyone could live in that country!"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’m just saying, my experience is that it’s simply not worth it (from a cost of living, taxes and personality of people). Sure they have a ton of Chinese and Indian but so does any good subrurb in a Texas city so I’m not being racist. Just would not want to live there and call that my life.

Your mileage varies and good for you, I just don’t appreciate the things you do I guess which is apparently living amongst people with higher than average GDP and in a state with great universities as if that matters to your day to day life.

Anytime you have to tell people you're not being a racist, well...

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Nah. Spend a couple million on a 1500 square foot dump in San Fran where you get a nice long commute and get to step over needles and piles of shit from street people.  

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Yeah....this.

I know quite a few NOT "one percenters" in Calfornia.  They live really nice lives, have good jobs, and are happy.

It genuinely shocks me how much people's understanding of California is based on articles they read that are written with a clear purpose to slam California.

There are hundreds of places around the state that are great places to live, have lots of good, well-paying jobs, etc.  No place is perfect, but goddamn, try taking just the TINIEST dose of reality pill, then think about the stupidity you're parroting.

• Like 1

Just now, hayden_horn said:

did yall not know that here are also LITERALLY no-go zones in london where the metropolitan police won't go, and where sharia law rules by fiat?

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen Breitbart-type articles claiming that LA and SF have huge "no-go" zones controlled by MS-13

Just now, hayden_horn said:

lulz, yeah, not racist against the chinese or the indian. i have no problem with them. it's just those blacks and latinos.

He's not racist, he just doesn't want to live around them.  Because they're Chinese and Indian.

Totally.  

Not.

Racist.

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.  I'd HATE to have HALF of the top 10 public universities in my state.  UCLA, Berkely, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Davis.  And just for fun, UC San Diego comes in at #12.

Yes, there are some stupid regs in California.  I don't like some of them.  But with respect to all of the things we tout about Texas being great at....and particularly as those things translate to economic performance....holding up California as the cautionary tale is ridiculous.

But, Libruls!

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

No need to worry about piles of shit anymore, apparently someone created an app that warns of human fecal matter locations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I actually do know.He didn't. He actually voted to ban the use of eminent domain for El Plan. This is discussed pretty extensively here:

In the video the lady says he should have recused himself from whatever vote they were talking about.  

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

It's spelled "eminent domain," Beto didn't, and Ted Cruz would condemn his own mother's house if there was a buck a lobbyist friend of his could make off of it.

oops, I misspelled that one without considering the correct way to spell it.  thanks.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and Anastasis, I said "similar to" for a reason. If your economy is THAT tied to the price of a single commodity, that is NOT an economy that you generally want to emulate. 

I am not sure what to tell you if you think that Texas' economy (or Texas' anything else for that matter) is emulating Venezuela. 

Edited by Anastasis

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-texas-debt-clock.html

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-california-debt-clock.html

so, debt per capita is about the same, but california has a much higher GDP/capita ($70,414 vs. $58,552).  taxes look like $11,200 vs $7,200.  california's cost of living is much higher.  it's be interesting to see how the new tax law affects both states as to taker/donor status (texas and california had generally been around break even, which, considering federal borrowing, means we're getting fucked), i'm guessing it hurt california a lot more than texas.

edit: and if you're in san fran you probably don't have a long commute.  you buy there because you work right down the street. 

edit: san fran superimposed on houston

imgur

it's a small fucking place.

Edited by elfenix
1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I am not sure what to tell you if you think that Texas' economy (or Texas' anything else for that matter) is emulating Venezuela. 

Hmm, no one said that, but while we're on the subject, walk us through what happens in Texas when O&G prices plummet. 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

No one doubts California’s positives. I think what people are referencing though is higher taxes, budget shortfalls/pending catastrophes like CALPERS, insane regulations, but you knew that already. 

higher taxes like INSANE property taxes in Texas? 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You just listed some of the nicest places in the country.  Seriously, other than the fact that many of those places are really expensive BECAUSE they are among the nicest places in the country, what's not to like?

Again, economically, the "Calfornia SUCKS!" storyline just doesn't work.

Oh, and Anastasis, I said "similar to" for a reason. If your economy is THAT tied to the price of a single commodity, that is NOT an economy that you generally want to emulate.  And for all of the diversification that has happened, this fact remains true: at $40 a barrel oil, the Texas economy struggles.  At $120 a barrel, it soars.

exactly. everyone wants to live in the Bay Area, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Orange County. most just can't afford to. California is an amazing AMERICAN state. Have they gone overboard on a few things, sure. Has Texas gone the other way just as far? absolutely. Both to their detriment. If California and Texas could learn from each other, both would be better states. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

exactly. everyone wants to live in the Bay Area, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Orange County. most just can't afford to. California is an amazing AMERICAN state. Have they gone overboard on a few things, sure. Has Texas gone the other way just as far? absolutely. Both to their detriment. If California and Texas could learn from each other, both would be better states. 

troof

50 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Also I lived in Austin for 10 years and absolutely would not live there now, so again, it’s a personal preference and opinion.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH AUSTIN?

So you dont want to live in the Bay Area, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Orange County, and Austin fucking Texas? ok, your opinion on best places to live has been disqualified. you can go sit over there...

8 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Hmm, no one said that, but while we're on the subject, walk us through what happens in Texas when O&G prices plummet. 

Hyperinflation occurs, people starve in the streets, 10% of the population flees, we have power outages and most basic public services grind to a halt?

• Like 1

You live in your own echo chamber, but I do have some old high school buddies who are facebook friends, and all of the ones who remained in the San Antonio area that fed my high school (Leon Valley out to Medina Lake) are coming out in force with the pro-Cruz shares.

My facebook is babies, dogs, photos of brisket and pro-Cruz shares.....

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....this.

I know quite a few NOT "one percenters" in Calfornia.  They live really nice lives, have good jobs, and are happy.

It genuinely shocks me how much people's understanding of California is based on articles they read that are written with a clear purpose to slam California.

There are hundreds of places around the state that are great places to live, have lots of good, well-paying jobs, etc.  No place is perfect, but goddamn, try taking just the TINIEST dose of reality pill, then think about the stupidity you're parroting.

my sister has lived in LA for 20 years and she is an artist, definitely not a one percenter. you dont have to be insanely rich to live there. 

my son was an intern for Amazon this past summer and rented a nice apartment in Newport Beach for about the same price you would find in Austin or Dallas.

13 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH AUSTIN?

So you dont want to live in the Bay Area, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Orange County, and Austin fucking Texas? ok, your opinion on best places to live has been disqualified. you can go sit over there...

Just not my bag, man. I’m not a genius and I’m not super valuable so I’ll only ever make so much money, likely. My personal tastes are that id rather live somewhere with a low cost of living, with a good income and higher amounts of disposable income. I go on skiing vacations with my family I couldn’t go on if I lived 15 minutes from the ski resort in Colorado. I vacation in California and do things I couldn’t do if I were living there, etc. Good weather doesn’t justify the costs and the annoying people TO ME. I’m happy for you if you like it!

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Just not my bag, man. I’m not a genius and I’m not super valuable so I’ll only ever make so much money, likely. My personal tastes are that id rather live somewhere with a low cost of living, with a good income and higher amounts of disposable income. I go on skiing vacations with my family I couldn’t go on if I lived 15 minutes from the ski resort in Colorado. I vacation in California and do things I couldn’t do if I were living there, etc. Good weather doesn’t justify the costs and the annoying people TO ME. I’m happy for you if you like it!

just giving you a hard time. 

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

just giving you a hard time. 

It’s just like anything else, I can’t believe it when people don’t like oatmeal raisin cookies. I’m like wtf how can you have such a wrong opinion! But then again I don’t think chocolate chip cookies are good but most people do.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

lulz, yeah, not racist against the chinese or the indian. i have no problem with them. it's just those blacks and latinos.

And the Dutch. Man, they'll screw you any chance they get. But other than the Chinese and the Indians and the Dutch, I have no problems with other people. Oh, and the Pakistanis. Other than the Dutch, the Chinese, the Indians, the Pakistanis, and the Iranians and the Sri Lankans, I've got no problems with other people. Well, okay, and midgets. I don't trust midgets.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It’s just like anything else, I can’t believe it when people don’t like oatmeal raisin cookies. I’m like wtf how can you have such a wrong opinion! But then again I don’t think chocolate chip cookies are good but most people do.

Wait... you don’t like chocolate chip cookies??  

Someone on this thread ya voting for the “Hispanic immigrant.”

I’m still laughing. 

How about this—y’all go ahead and vote for a fucking Canadian. I’ll vote for the native born Texan to represent this state in the goddamn senate.

• Like 8

on top of being just the tip of a peninsula, san francisco in particular is expensive because the whole thing is basically one giant HOA. 
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/demolishing-the-california-dream/

The current crisis is due to global investment in American urban properties, Silicon money and use of residential properties for tourism (i.e. AirBnB). This has created hyper-demand beyond permanent resident demand.

Owners simply evict renters by claiming residence then selling to avoid onerous landlord laws.

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

You mean written by the New York Times just this week. Read the comments from those living in SF. They say it’s not limited to just the Tenderloin and that the city is very dangerous

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/us/san-francisco-dirtiest-street-london-breed.html

Life on the Dirtiest Block in San Francisco

Oct. 8, 2018
00dirtystreets-02-articleLarge.jpg?quali
The 300 block of Hyde Street in San Francisco received 2,227 complaints about street and sidewalk cleanliness over the past decade, more than any other.Jim Wilson/The New York Times

SAN FRANCISCO — The heroin needles, the pile of excrement between parked cars, the yellow soup oozing out of a large plastic bag by the curb and the stained, faux Persian carpet dumped on the corner.

It’s a scene of detritus that might bring to mind any variety of developing-world squalor. But this is San Francisco, the capital of the nation’s technology industry, where a single span of Hyde Street hosts an open-air narcotics market by day and at night is occupied by the unsheltered and drug-addled slumped on the sidewalk.

There are many other streets like it, but by one measure it’s the dirtiest block in the city.

Just a 15-minute walk away are the offices of Twitter and Uber, two companies that along with other nameplate technology giants have helped push the median price of a home in San Francisco well beyond $1 million.

This dichotomy of street crime and world-changing technology, of luxury condominiums and grinding, persistent homelessness, and the dehumanizing effects for those forced to live on the streets provoke outrage among the city’s residents. For many who live here it’s difficult to reconcile San Francisco’s liberal politics with the misery that surrounds them.

According to city statisticians, the 300 block of Hyde Street, a span about the length of a football field in the heart of the Tenderloin neighborhood, received 2,227 complaints about street and sidewalk cleanliness over the last decade, more than any other. It’s an imperfect measurement — some blocks might be dirtier but have fewer calls — but residents on the 300 block say that they are not surprised by their ranking.

The San Francisco bureau photographer, Jim Wilson, and I set out to measure the depth of deprivation on a single block. We returned a number of times, including a 12-hour visit, from 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. on a recent weekday. Walking around the neighborhood we saw the desperation of the mentally ill, the drug dependent and homeless, and heard from embittered residents who say it will take much more than a broom to clean up the city, long considered one of America’s beacons of urban beauty.

‘You have to hold your breath’

merlin_143787117_f4b48190-7ccf-4ef1-8bb2
A public works employee uses a power washer on a sidewalk. San Francisco spends $70 million annually on street cleaning.Jim Wilson/The New York Times

Human waste has become such a widespread problem in San Francisco that the city in September established a unit dedicated to removing it from the sidewalks. Rachel Gordon, a spokeswoman for the Public Works Department, describes the new initiative as a “proactive human waste” unit.

At 8 a.m. on a recent day, as mothers shepherded their children to school, we ran into Yolanda Warren, a receptionist who works around the corner from Hyde Street. The sidewalk in front of her office was stained with feces. The street smelled like a latrine.

“Some parts of the Tenderloin, you’re walking, and you smell it and you have to hold your breath,” Ms. Warren said.

As she does every morning, she hosed down the urine outside her office. The city has installed five portable bathrooms for the hundreds of unsheltered people in the Tenderloin, but that has not stopped people from urinating and defecating in the streets.

“There are way too many people out here that don’t have homes,” Ms. Warren said.

Over the last five years the number of unsheltered homeless people in San Francisco has remained relatively steady — around 4,400 — and the sidewalks of the Tenderloin have come to resemble a refugee camp.

The city has replaced more than 300 lampposts corroded by dog and human urine over the last three years, according to the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission. Replacing the poles became more urgent after a lamppost collapsed in 2015, crushing a car.

A more common danger are the thousands of heroin needles discarded by users.

The Public Works Department and a nonprofit organization in the Tenderloin picked up 100,000 needles from the streets over the last year. The Public Health Department, which has its own needle recovery program, has a more alarming figure: It retrieved 164,264 needles in August alone, both through a disposal program and through street cleanups.

Larry Gothberg, a building manager who has lived on Hyde Street since 1982, keeps a photographic record of the heroin users he sees shooting up on the streets. He swiped through a number of pictures on his phone showing users in a motionless stupor.

“We call it the heroin freeze,” Mr. Gothberg said. “They can stay that way for hours.”

‘Land of the living dead’

Hyde Street is in the heart of the Tenderloin, where homelessness and drug use persist and provoke outrage among city residents.Jim Wilson/The New York Times

Hyde Street is in the heart of the Tenderloin, a neighborhood of aging, subsidized single-occupancy apartment buildings, Vietnamese and Thai restaurants, coin laundromats and organizations dedicated to helping the indigent. Studio apartments on Hyde Street go for around $1,500, according to Mr. Gothberg, cheap in a city where the median rent for apartments is $4,500.

A number of people we met on Hyde Street distinguished between the residents of the Tenderloin, many of them immigrant families, and those they called “street people” — the unsheltered drug users who congregate and camp along the sidewalks and the dealers who peddle crack cocaine, heroin and a variety of amphetamines.

Disputes among the street population are common and sometimes result in violence. At night bodies line the sidewalks.

“It’s like the land of the living dead,” said Adam Leising, a resident of Hyde Street.

We met Mr. Leising late one evening after he had finished a shift as a server at a restaurant. As we toured the neighborhood, past a man crumpled on the ground next to empty beer bottles and trash, Mr. Leising told us that the daily glimpses of desperation brought him to the brink of depression.

“We are the most advanced country in the world,” Mr. Leising said. “And that’s what people are having to live with here.”

Mr. Leising, who is the founder of the Lower Hyde Street Association, a nonprofit that holds cleanup activities on the street, feels that the city is not cracking down on the drug trade on the block because they don’t want it to spread elsewhere.

“It’s obvious that it’s a containment zone,” Mr. Leising said. “These behaviors are not allowed in other neighborhoods.”

The Tenderloin police station posted on their Twitter feed that drug dealing “is the most significant issue impacting the quality of life.” So far this year, officers from the Tenderloin station house have made more than 3,000 arrests, including 424 for dealing drugs. “This is one of our priority areas,” Grace Gatpandan, a police spokeswoman, said of the Tenderloin. But many feel they do not do enough.

Gavin Newsom, a former mayor of San Francisco and the leading candidate for governor in next month’s election, told The San Francisco Chronicle editorial board last week that the city had reached the point of “enough is enough.”

“You can be too permissive, and I happen to think we have crossed that threshold in this state — and not just in this city,” Mr. Newsom said. “You see it. It’s just disgraceful.”

‘We know all of them’

Mayor London Breed of San Francisco, who was elected in June, has made unannounced inspections of neighborhoods, sometimes carrying a broom.Jim Wilson/The New York Times

Mayor London Breed, who was elected in June, campaigned to clean up squalor.

Ms. Breed has announced plans to provide an additional 1,000 beds for the homeless over the next two years, but she is also targeting a relatively small group of people living on the streets who she says are beyond the point of assisting themselves. The concept of this involuntary removal is known as conservatorship. A law recently passed in Sacramento strengthens the city’s powers of conservatorship with a judge’s permission.

“There are about 100 to 150 people who are clearly mentally ill and who are cycling through the system and who need to be forced into conservatorship,” Ms. Breed said in an interview. “We know all of them.”

According to Ms. Breed’s office, 12 percent of people who use the services of the San Francisco Department of Public Health account for 73 percent of the costs. The majority of these heavy users have medical, psychiatric and substance use issues, according to the department.

Ms. Breed has made unannounced inspections of neighborhoods, sometimes carrying a broom.

On a Saturday morning in September she walked past a woman on Hyde Street slouched on the pavement and preparing to plunge a syringe into her hand. “Put that away,” said a police officer accompanying the mayor.

The crack tree

On a recent afternoon we dropped by a barbershop on Hyde Street.

Glenn Gustafik opened Mister Hyde two years ago to escape the high rents of downtown San Francisco, where he was quoted a $10,000 monthly rent for a similarly small space. Since opening on Hyde Street he has been engaged in a battle with drug users in the neighborhood, who break the branches off a London plane tree in front of his shop and use the sticks to clean their crack pipes. This harvesting of twigs has killed the previous four trees, Mr. Gustafik said.

At Mr. Gustafik’s request, the city protected the fifth tree with wire mesh, the kind used in suburban areas to discourage hungry deer.

A Sisyphean clean up

Over the past five years the number of unsheltered people in San Francisco has remained relatively steady — around 4,400.Jim Wilson/The New York Times

Toward dusk and into the night the 300 block of Hyde becomes an impromptu food and flea market. A woman offered a bicycle for $15 one evening and bric-a-brac was laid out on the sidewalks. Many items for sale were incongruous: A man hawked six shrink-wrapped packets of raw steaks that he cradled precariously as he called out for buyers. No one asked where he got them.

At dawn, crews from the city and private organizations arrive to pick up needles and trash. One entrepreneurial resident recently launched an app, Snapcrap, that allows users to send photos and the location of feces to the city’s cleanup crews.

The city spends $70 million annually on street cleaning, well more than any other American cities that were studied in a recent report.

But the sidewalks soon become crowded again and the litter accumulates.

Mario Montoya Jr. has spent the last three decades cleaning the streets as an employee of the city’s Public Works Department. Standing on a street corner as another city employee power-washed the sidewalk, Mr. Montoya described a Sisyphean cycle of cleanup and filth.

“By noon everybody is up and out,” Mr. Montoya said. “And here we go again.”

A version of this article appears in print on Oct. 8, 2018, on Page A11 of the New York edition with the headline: The Vile Side: Life on the Dirtiest Block in San FranciscoOrder Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

my sister has lived in LA for 20 years and she is an artist, definitely not a one percenter. you dont have to be insanely rich to live there. 

my son was an intern for Amazon this past summer and rented a nice apartment in Newport Beach for about the same price you would find in Austin or Dallas.

*Cross post alert*

Gil Bang, you are in SoCal. Have you seen this "Show me how to Duffy?" A 50k "commercial" to sell  45mm house.

I've been in Costa Mesa, Newport and Irvine all week and it's all everyone is talking about.

https://www.smithgrouprealestate.com/blog/What-39-s-A-Duffy/67687

end crows post alert*

Newport was really awesome and reminded me of Dallas If it had ocean front. That said, all these places are awesome if you are single in a 1/1 or have roommates. As a grown up, with kids and private school, and work etc. just doesn’t make sense. Which is why it was mostly old people it seemed like (The Bluffs, The Colony) who have downsized after selling their homes, it felt like.

Some goddam asshole motherfucker took my rainbow Beto bumper sticker off my car.  I hope whoever did it receives the full negative karma reserved for those who take rainbow Beto bumper sticker off cars.  Fuck you, asshole.  

• Like 2