unique places you have seen a concert

Litig8r

Ben Harper at the Spaghetti Warehouse in Austin (2003). He came to town not planning on playing a show but decided to put one on. Spaghetti Warehouse was like the only place downtown that didn't have bands playing. People were sitting crosslegged on the floor and the atmosphere was like a house concert. It was free but had limited space so you had either be quick as fuck to get in line or "know someone."

Jimmy Buffett playing to 100 people in the Amagansett town square 2017

Steve Earle playing to 100-125 folks in the Stephen Talkhouse 2016 (its a tiny ass bar)

Glen Tilbrook from Squeeze playing to 30 people in a performance space in Red Hook back around 2001 or 2002 when Red Hook was still sketchy as fuck

Father John Misty at the Surf Lodge in Montauk back around 2012

Lyle Lovett in Battery Park 2002-ish?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stc said:

david byrne at the hogg auditorium. i had taken an exam in there the week before. 

That sounds amazing.  I saw Lindsey Buckingham at Hogg... can't remember the year.  Maybe 2002?   Fantastic show.

Adam Carroll played a birthday party for about 20 people in an outdoor pavilion beside the Guadalupe River in Hunt, Texas.

Also, The Who at Royal Albert Hall.  

Michelled Shocked on the front porch of a house around the corner.  It was "abandoned" (really just a decade-old casualty of an inheritance where the kids couldn't get on the same page), but I heard a familiar song, followed my ears, and there she was with her full band.  I think it was the week before SXSW.  

I went to many great shows in unique places back when I was living in the UK in my early twenties. One that stands out was in 1990 seeing The Damed at a place called The Crypt, which was an actual stone crypt underneath an old church in the Sevenoaks part of London.  Also saw the Dead that year in London on Halloween night. It was a trip (literally) seeing them in the middle of London (Wembley Arena) but the crowd mostly American Deadheads and other expats. I got a kick out of the Deadheads commenting on the “Way Out” signs on the tube. Waaayyy ouuut, maan!

Saw Ryan Bingham & the Dead Horses back in the summer of 2008 in an ancient castle on top of a tiny hilltop village in Italian wine country. I think we were the only Americans there besides the band, and maybe the only people who knew who they were, but they crushed it and won over the crowd (as they usually did).