Adding to the pit bull argument

Beau Vine

Just now, Cornpop said:

I have a young female blue heeler, Coona. She is on the small side of the breed standard at 34 lbs but she will chase a coyote away from the house, across a huge pasture into the woods in a heartbeat. It's funny to see her do that to one much bigger than she is. Fearless is a good word

Careful with that. Coyotes will have a member of the pack lure a dog out and then the entire group will attack and kill the dog. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Careful with that. Coyotes will have a member of the pack lure a dog out and then the entire group will attack and kill the dog. 

There's nothing I can do. I live on a small horse ranch and it borders large woods on 2 sides. When the coyotes start howling and it sounds like they're close, she bolts off and into the woods. I keep expecting her not to come back one of these days 

The story said that Animal Control had possession of the dogs. How did they not get shot by the first cops on the scene? Were they docile, then? It’s not like they’re needed alive for questioning. 

If you were the junior officer on the scene, and ordered to collect the dogs, would you really try to corral and leash them? Or would you just put them down?

It's almost impossible to stop without inviting a potential lawsuit. Businesses aren't allowed to ask for proof. We're pretty much limited to asking them about the disability the dog is trained to assist and any reasonable answer makes them untouchable.

Just put down bowls of antifreeze. Trained service dogs wont drink.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I’ve read this isn’t true but who knows 

I don't think so, personally. Coona is a little over 1 1/2 years old and has had a lot of interactions with coyotes. If they wanted to kill her, they have had plenty of opportunities, and there's a shit ton of them on our ranch. 

From last night

Screenshot_20221008-021248_Strike Force Wireless.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

I don't think so, personally. Coona is a little over 1 1/2 years old and has had a lot of interactions with coyotes. If they wanted to kill her, they have had plenty of opportunities, and there's a shit ton of them on our ranch. 

From last night

Screenshot_20221008-021248_Strike Force Wireless.jpg

I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 coyotes that want to kill me,, so don't think for one second that you can come down here, flash a badge, and make me nervous.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 10/2/2022 at 12:01 AM, Deej said:

That's dingos.  I don't how the notion spread to include coyotes, but coyotes do not hunt that way.  The urban legend has been around a long time, probably just stories about dingos morphing into coyotes in America.

4 hours ago, CoTex said:

I’ve seen cases where a parent is prosecuted for leaving a child in a hot car.  How is this not the same or worse?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/baby-sister-killed-pitbulls-memphis-b2197336.html?amp

Even the hood people I know keep the guns, poison and pits away from their kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The family owned the pets, Cheech and Mia, for more than eight years without a violent incident, Kelsey Canfield, the mother's best friend, told Fox News.

"I can promise you those children were her world, and if there was any inkling of danger, she would have never had those dogs near her kids," Canfield told the outlet. 

Always the same thing from owners of that breed...they even turned on the owner.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/family-dogs-kill-2-tennessee-children-injure-mom-who-tried-to-stop-mauling-family-says/ar-AA12K1Gg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2868b7145981405ebc7c61db93322a27

• Rage+1 1

Siegfried and Roy had a lion and tiger show for 13 years until one of the tigers bit into one of them and severed his spine.  Were the cats friendly and peaceful - sure they were, most days.  Some days they weren’t.

Anyone wanna guess why it’s generally illegal to keep these large cats as house pets?  I’ll help - it’s because when things go badly people die.  

When a “fighting breed” type dog decides it’s going to bite - lives hang in the balance.  Is yours sweet?  Maybe.  What if it has a bad day?  Dead babies, or adults, or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

The family owned the pets, Cheech and Mia, for more than eight years without a violent incident, Kelsey Canfield, the mother's best friend, told Fox News.

"I can promise you those children were her world, and if there was any inkling of danger, she would have never had those dogs near her kids," Canfield told the outlet. 

Always the same thing from owners of that breed...they even turned on the owner.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/family-dogs-kill-2-tennessee-children-injure-mom-who-tried-to-stop-mauling-family-says/ar-AA12K1Gg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2868b7145981405ebc7c61db93322a27

small kids and 2 pit bulls. why people gamble on their families lives is beyond me. all it takes is 10 mins and all those years of nothing happening goes to complete shit.

"I can promise you those children were her world, and if there was any inkling of danger, she would have never had those dogs near her kids," Canfield told the outlet. "Those children were everything to them, and they just have a really long journey ahead."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/10/08/2-children-killed-mother-hospitalized-after-tennessee-dog-mauling/8219201001/

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

small kids and 2 pit bulls. why people gamble on their families lives is beyond me. all it takes is 10 mins and all those years of nothing happening goes to complete shit.

"I can promise you those children were her world, and if there was any inkling of danger, she would have never had those dogs near her kids," Canfield told the outlet. "Those children were everything to them, and they just have a really long journey ahead."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/10/08/2-children-killed-mother-hospitalized-after-tennessee-dog-mauling/8219201001/

We’ll, I hope you dont encounter any of those generally sweet, look like a pit bull but not officially a pit bull, dogs on your long journey, because if you do…

your long journey might end in a painful and bloody death.

• Hook 'Em 1

People created dog breeds, it’s OK to admit that somewhere along the way we fucked up with some of them or don’t need them anymore. The world would be fine if pits went “extinct,” they aren’t filling some unique niche in the ecosystem. 

Anyone who has a pit that’s “the sweetest thing” can find another dog that is equally sweet and fun, I promise. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

8 years wow.  Takes ten bad minutes to ruin a family.  Sad. I actually believe it when people say that “up until now the dog never showed signs of aggression “

it’s either something degenerative or they have a hair trigger temper that’s just lurking and then they snap.  And yes chihuahuas are probably more aggressive than pit bulls.   You can punt a chihuahua 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

People created dog breeds, it’s OK to admit that somewhere along the way we fucked up with some of them or don’t need them anymore. The world would be fine if pits went “extinct,” they aren’t filling some unique niche in the ecosystem. 

Anyone who has a pit that’s “the sweetest thing” can find another dog that is equally sweet and fun, I promise. 

Yea pit owners seem to be a defiant group.  Society telling them not to have one makes them want one even more.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Yea pit owners seem to be a defiant group.  Society telling them not to have one makes them want one even more.  

Agree.

I get it.  I don’t like to be told what I can and cannot do.  I push back and when told I can’t do something a part of me wants to try just to give “the man” the middle finger.

But here we’re talking about thousands if not hundreds of thousands of ticking bombs all over our country that could kill at any moment.  Most won’t.  Maybe 99.9% won’t.

I would be in favor of law/policy changes that regulate/disincentivize the ownership of dangerous animals.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Agree.

I get it.  I don’t like to be told what I can and cannot do.  I push back and when told I can’t do something a part of me wants to try just to give “the man” the middle finger.

But here we’re talking about thousands if not hundreds of thousands of ticking bombs all over our country that could kill at any moment.  Most won’t.  Maybe 99.9% won’t.

I would be in favor of law/policy changes that regulate/disincentivize the ownership of dangerous animals.

Another (huge issue) is that pit owners and pit breeders especially tend to be far lower on the responsibility scale.  The result is that there’s far too many of these dogs and the country is absolutely flooded with pit mixes that have a lot of the same issues as just a pit.

You go to most animal shelters to adopt, and most of the animals are pits or pit mixes.  I believe the most effective control would be to euthanize pit and pit mixes if they get picked up. Do not make the breed available. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Another (huge issue) is that pit owners and pit breeders especially tend to be far lower on the responsibility scale.  The result is that there’s far too many of these dogs and the country is absolutely flooded with pit mixes that have a lot of the same issues as just a pit.

You go to most animal shelters to adopt, and most of the animals are pits or pit mixes.  I believe the most effective control would be to euthanize pit and pit mixes if they get picked up. Do not make the breed available. 

I think you’re correct.  I do think people make money off breeding and selling these dogs.  Maybe regulation is needed there.

How to sort out the breeds?  I have no idea but I’m in - whatever it takes.

As mentioned elsewhere - there are enough in my neighborhood that I armed my golf cart with bear spray.  Got some interesting commentary from “pit bull guy” on that one.

True story - after I got the bear spray I saw some random husky / malamute looking dog approach another lady walking a small dog.  Kinda got me on edge but it deescalated.  I was ready to bear spray the whole block if things went sideways.

I guess the question is “how do you get pit bull guy to be happy with a non-lethal substitute for companionship?”  When it becomes “cool” to not have a pit bull, the numbers will decrease.  And if you keep a dog for more than companionship maybe you need to buy some insurance and have a permit of some sort.  Price out the amateur breeder/I need a canine security force guy.

The no kill shelter in Austin has been 99.9% pit mix dogs every time I've been there.  We finally gave up trying to adopt from them.  I agree they should just be put down.  The sentiment behind no-kill is something I tend to agree with, but it's not working when all you have to adopt are piles of dogs with faulty wiring.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This video always comes to mind when I read about this subject. It shows just how ridiculously powerful and dangerous they can be. Of course this is obviously the worst kind of owner, but also a fairly typical one. I'm such a lover of dogs that I hate to agree with the previous two posts, but the simple fact of the matter is they are just too fucking unpredictable and dangerous. 

Edited by Cornpop
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cornpop said:

This video always comes to mind when I read about this subject. It shows just how ridiculously powerful and dangerous they can be. Of course this is obviously the worst kind of owner, but also a fairly typical one. I'm such a lover of dogs that I hate to agree with the previous two posts, but the simple fact of the matter is they are just too fucking unpredictable and dangerous. 

OH man that was cringe.  Poor dog catcher.  And fuck that fat lady.

• Hook 'Em 2

Most small animal vets are just dog lovers with about 10% more knowledge and access to controlled substances, and as far as I've seen don't know shit about animal behavior even if they're very good at treating illness and injury.  In Texas most of them are aggies.  Make of that what you will.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, CoTex said:

True story - after I got the bear spray I saw some random husky / malamute looking dog approach another lady walking a small dog.  Kinda got me on edge but it deescalated.  I was ready to bear spray the whole block if things went sideways.

Maybe you should just stay inside, Rambo. A fucking husky sets you off. The breed that will invite a burglar into your house and show them where you keep your valuables? The dogs that were bred by the Chukchi people to not only pull sleds, but keep their children warm on cold Siberian nights? You sound like the most dangerous thing in your neighborhood. 

"Dog approaching...FIRE!!!"

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2

On the pro pit side, don’t most vets say it’s all about the owner?

Having pit is like having a loaded gun sitting around the house. When some kid/idiot gets ahold of that loaded gun, it's going to be ugly. When the pit remembers that it's a pit, it's going to be ugly.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Maybe you should just stay inside, Rambo. A fucking husky sets you off. The breed that will invite a burglar into your house and show them where you keep your valuables? The dogs that were bred by the Chukchi people to not only pull sleds, but keep their children warm on cold Siberian nights? You sound like the most dangerous thing in your neighborhood. 

"Dog approaching...FIRE!!!"

Well, me and my bear spray haven’t killed any 6 month old children or 2 year old children this week so, I’ll take my record over pit bull guy’s record.

Why don’t you share your thoughts about the two kids in coffins in Memphis?  Did the Chukchi breed those dogs to pull sleds and eat Siberian children?  Hey bit bull guy - 6 month old approaching - FIRE!!!

On 10/4/2018 at 5:44 PM, Deej said:

Any dog with a strong prey drive will kill a cat. 

Hey Mr. Helper.

If we were trying to sort out the dogs that kill 6 month olds, and 2 year olds, how might we do that?

Edited by CoTex

The only people who want pit bulls are hood tards, white trash automotive upbringing types like tatted up dodge owners, and weird liberal white people who want to “save” a poor marginalized dog.  Also guys making up for shortcomings like the ones who buy a Lambo.  Pits are kind of like a super car for little dicked poors.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Well, me and my bear spray haven’t killed any 6 month old children or 2 year old children this week so, I’ll take my record over pit bull guy’s record.

Why don’t you share your thoughts about the two kids in coffins in Memphis?  Did the Chukchi breed those dogs to pull sleds and eat Siberian children?  Hey bit bull guy - 6 month old approaching - FIRE!!!

I'm talking about you being a psycho who patrols his streets in a golf cart with bear spray, puffing his chest out about how he had to hold himself back from attacking a husky for walking up to another dog. 

You feel that way because some other breed attacked and killed a kid? Get a grip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

The only people who want pit bulls are hood tards, white trash automotive upbringing types like tatted up dodge owners, and weird liberal white people who want to “save” a poor marginalized dog.  Also guys making up for shortcomings like the ones who buy a Lambo.  Pits are kind of like a super car for little dicked poors.

maybe-ehhh.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having pit is like having a loaded gun sitting around the house. When some kid/idiot gets ahold of that loaded gun, it's going to be ugly. When the pit remembers that it's a pit, it's going to be ugly.

Except it’s not the same. I have yet to see an inanimate object get pissed off and fuck shit up on its own.

Johnny 5 ain’t walking through that door.

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Dang, you hate pit bulls worse than I do. I'll never forget that evening that pit charged me and my sweet Boykin spaniel Daisy, who never hurt a flea. I was prepared to pick her up if I needed to. 

59 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Except it’s not the same. I have yet to see an inanimate object get pissed off and fuck shit up on its own.

Johnny 5 ain’t walking through that door.

Not so sure about that. If it doesn’t already exist, it will soon

200.gif

Oh shit. We are fucked

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm talking about you being a psycho who patrols his streets in a golf cart with bear spray, puffing his chest out about how he had to hold himself back from attacking a husky for walking up to another dog. 

You feel that way because some other breed attacked and killed a kid? Get a grip.

But at least now if you ever randomly get bear-sprayed by some asshole in a golf cart, you'll know who did it 

On 10/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, CoTex said:

try-me.gif

On 10/8/2022 at 4:24 PM, crash_davis said:

Jesus F'n Christ

• 2 months later...

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/12/14/miss-lineman-airlifted-after-being-mauled-by-pack-pit-bulls/

Ivan Bubba Rawles III, a lineman for Delta Electric, was attacked by five “full-blooded” pit bulls after he finished a service call. His vehicle became stuck after he was reversing down a long driveaway of the house.

Rawles was then approached by the pack of pit bulls after he left his vehicle and began walking back towards the home of the Mabry family.

Police say that Mr. Mabry shot a weapon into the air to attempt to scare the dogs off of Rawles, killing one dog in the process. The Mabry family, along with a neighbor, Mrs. Gillon, who is a nurse, began to aid Rawles until deputies and Medstat personnel arrived at the scene.

The sheriff’s office says the victim reportedly suffered deep lacerations and lost a large amount of blood.

Rawles was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical Center by helicopter and underwent “several hours of surgery.”

He is expected to make a full recovery.

The owner of the dogs, David Nicholas Smith, put the four remaining dogs down himself. According to police, Smith was not in compliance with Carroll County’s Pit Bull Ordinance and will face charges upon the completion of the investigation.

“I thank the Lord for sparing Bubba’s life and for the selfless actions of Mr. and Mrs. Mabry and Mrs. Gillon,” a Carroll County official said. “Without them rendering aid to him so quickly, I have no doubt this attack would have been fatal. We will be keeping Bubba in our prayers for a full recovery.

“I would also like to remind the pit bull owners of our county that they will be held accountable if they are discovered to be out of compliance with the pit bull ordinance – whether or not an attack is involved. Because pit bulls can be dangerous to the public, our county enacted the ordinance to safeguard our citizens. This incident shows how important compliance is.”

• Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, Samson's Wig said:

That's dingos.  I don't how the notion spread to include coyotes, but coyotes do not hunt that way.  The urban legend has been around a long time, probably just stories about dingos morphing into coyotes in America.

Nah bullshit. The dingos interbreed with coyotes and bats and create chupacabras,  that's what's behind the attacks and killings.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1