So let's talk about the Baylor game

South Austin

So the rapists come into Austin on Saturday with a 4-2 record, albeit the product of the softer first half of their season schedule.  They had a nice run against Texas from 2010-2014 winning 4 of 5, but order seems to have been restored with Texas winning the past three.

Brewer threw for 400 yards against a shitty OU defense, but was sacked 6 times.  He threw for just under 300 against Kansas State this past weekend, but was sacked 4 times.  I can't really tell who Baylor's main running threat is. 

Even though it's Baylor and the second weekend of ACL, I think coming off a thrilling victory against OU and a five-game winning streak should produce a good home crowd.  Probably not on the level of USC, but hopefully close to TCU. 

We should donkey kick those dirtbags by at least three scores to make it 6-1 going into a bye week. 

Classic trap game.  If we play down to them we can lose. 

I want a 2008 vs Missouri type game where we cement that the RRS wasn't just rivalry peaking.  We came into that game with our hair on fire out to prove a point.

I know this is a 2pm game vs Baylor, so it's doubtful we have that intensity, but I'd like to see us finally play a complete game at a standard not dependent on our opponent. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Classic trap game.  If we play down to them we can lose. 

There is a no trap when the bookend is a bye.   The latter should really help Herman get / keep them focused with an off weekend (a carrot, if you will) the following Saturday. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

There is a no trap when the bookend is a bye.   The latter should really help Herman get / keep them focused with an off weekend (a carrot, if you will) the following Saturday. 

I can't decide if the bye helps or hurts. 

Do we carry intensity one more week, or take off mentally/physically a week early?  That will be the key either way, I think. 

I like the trajectory of this team and I like what we're building.

But my feeling is that we can beat almost anyone in the Top 40, and we can lose to anyone in the top 40.

We'd better not take Baylor lightly.  These are the games where I really hope Herman hammers that "1-0" mentality.  We need to learn to put our foot down on someone, no matter how seemingly big or small the game is.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Quit talking about ACL

anyone that goes to ACL over the game is a loser anyway. 

It might be a factor.  But I recall the 2012 Baylor game in Austin was also on an ACL weekend (the one with Natalie Portman on the jumbotron), and we still had a good crowd.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It might be a factor.  But I recall the 2012 Baylor game in Austin was also on an ACL weekend (the one with Natalie Portman on the jumbotron), and we still had a good crowd.

That was a crazy game.  56-50, I seem to recall.  We were at the height of the Harsin-era offense in that game.

Baylor is greatly improved from last year but does not have the depth on the lines to play with y'all right now. We have enough talent in the skill positions to get a W should y'all have an off day, but if you're playing anything like the last 3 weeks y'all will win. Baylor is a solid 4-2 but we're all looking at our remaining schedule and praying we find 3 more wins. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I feel like this is also an opportune time to mentioned that rape, rape enabling, and rape cover up are all bad and that people should avoid doing all of those things.

But what if you really really like Jesus? I've been informed that makes it cool.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Not quite.  We were still on the rising action to Diaz's climax on Sept. 8, 2013, in Provo, Utah.

Those games were two unique masterpieces of suck.

Baylor:  50 points, 600 yards total offense, 255 rushing, 352 receiving

BYU:  40 points, 679 yards total offense, 550 rushing, 129 receiving

That 2012 Baylor game was one of the reasons why Mack hired Greg Robinson as consultant/DC contingency plan in the offseason. 

6 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Baylor is greatly improved from last year but does not have the depth on the lines to play with y'all right now. We have enough talent in the skill positions to get a W should y'all have an off day, but if you're playing anything like the last 3 weeks y'all will win. Baylor is a solid 4-2 but we're all looking at our remaining schedule and praying we find 3 more wins. 

Brewer is much improved in his second year.  He couldn't do shit against us last year. 

• Like 1

Just now, South Austin said:

Brewer is much improved in his second year.  He couldn't do shit against us last year. 

He has a lot of upside. Exceptional player considering how young he is. Was doing great even by the end of last year. 

20 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I feel like this is also an opportune time to mentioned that rape, rape enabling, and rape cover up are all bad and that people should avoid doing all of those things.

would be awesome if they made a PSA about this on godzillatron.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Kansas State was more of a trap game with the players possibly looking ahead to OU.  But Lumbergh is right that the team can't overlook Baylor, but I think Herman will have the team focused.

I'm hoping Ingram gets his first 100 yard game on Saturday. 

If he's banged up, I'd rather he sit and use the next two weeks to get fully healthy for the remainder of the season.  I think we can win without him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If he’s banged up, I agree. But did Herman say he’s still nursing injuries? He didn’t look like a player who was banged up against OU, especially with his blocking.

He didn't have quite the same giddyup as he did earlier in the season.

I've watched a bit of BU film (not enough), but the thing that most sticks out to me is that they have VERY poor linebacker play.  Their linebacker's lateral speed is noticeably poor, and it leads to huge running creases just outside the tackle (on power read and pin and pull).  Because of that, they have to devote a lot of safety help to stop the run, which means their secondary plays pretty tight.  As a result, they give up a lot of big pass plays, and when they blow a coverage, there's nothing behind the defense to stop a TD.

They're not the least talented D we've played so far (KSU probably is), but they definitely don't have the athletes of an OU/TCU/USC.  And they're extremely undisciplined and prone to blowing coverages.

Our offense should have a very good game.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If he’s banged up, I agree. But did Herman say he’s still nursing injuries? He didn’t look like a player who was banged up against OU, especially with his blocking.

He has a bone bruise in his knee. So I think he's been playing amazing given the circumstances.

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Baylor's offense has some weapons. At least at QB, RB, WR. Their OL is hot garbage so we should be able to get pressure. They do have some weapons on offense though. 

Their defense is terrible. Based on S&P + Baylor is the worst defense we've played so far this year (yes including OU).

Saban would say this is rat poison.  We need to approach this game like we’re playing the ‘85 Bears. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

But what if you really really like Jesus? I've been informed that makes it cool.

If you rape, then ask Jesus for forgiveness, he’ll give it to you then you are clean slated.  Never mind how the girl feels, she can have her own talk with Jesus and pray for emotional peace. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you rape, then ask Jesus for forgiveness, he’ll give it to you then you are clean slated.  Never mind how the girl feels, she can have her own talk with Jesus and pray for emotional peace. 

Pretty sure Jesus will tell her she should’ve have been at an off-campus apartment with alcohol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Kansas, bro.  Kansas.

Not even. Kansas at least got Charlie fired and that team was shit to begin with. 

We were good in 2013 (good enough to compete for the Big 12) and giving up 550 on the ground was the nail in the coffin of... oh fuck we need to clean house don't we.

3 wasted years later and another rebuild year and here we are...

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not even. Kansas at least got Charlie fired and that team was shit to begin with. 

We were good in 2013 (good enough to compete for the Big 12) and giving up 550 on the ground was the nail in the coffin of... oh fuck we need to clean house don't we.

3 wasted years later and another rebuild year and here we are...

We still won 8 games including OU in 2013.   It got a lot worse before it got better.

• Like 1