So let's talk about the Baylor game

South Austin

43 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Rain chances up to 80% for Saturday, which could mess with the passing game.  I guess that works in Texas's favor.

Typically only heavy rain and wind really hurt the passing game.  Wet conditions sometimes favor passing offenses and the WR's since the WR's know where they are going and DB's can slip trying to cover.... Some of current gloves that WR's wear are better when they get a little wet.

From what I've seen thus far on Saturday's game weather forecasts, the rain is expected to be lighter and may not even start till late in the game or even after the game is over.  🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Typically only heavy rain and wind really hurt the passing game.  Wet conditions sometimes favor passing offenses and the WR's since the WR's know where they are going and DB's can slip trying to cover.... Some of current gloves that WR's wear are better when they get a little wet.

From what I've seen thus far on Saturday's game weather forecasts, the rain is expected to be lighter and may not even start till late in the game or even after the game is over.  🤘

Let's ask @phdhorn.  Okay, I couldn't type that out without laughing.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Where are you seeing 80% cabron? Highest I am seeing is 50% and that still only 30% of the time.

Weather Channel app.  Now it's 60%.  I know that shit changes hourly, and we've had high rain chances a day or two before the USC and TCU games only to get no rain during the games. 

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Found CDC's Surly account

• Haha 1

https://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2018/10/11/17962782/our-daily-bears-baylor-bears-wide-receivers-texas-longhorns-preview

BON: What’s your prediction for the game?

ODB: I have Texas winning 42-27. Baylor’s going to have an extremely difficult time stopping Sam Ehlinger from running, and if Baylor wants to play quite a bit of Tampa 2 or use quarterback spies, then Texas is going to have some underneath routes open. Baylor’s best defensive players are underclassmen, so there’s hope for the 2019 and 2020 Baylor defense. There isn’t much for the 2018 unit against good teams.

I think Baylor will score a decent bit in this game. Texas might be able to shut down Baylor’s running game, and the Bears will really struggle if another offensive linemen goes down. But this offense has been pretty good lately, and I think they’ll give the Longhorns some problems. But ultimately, Baylor doesn’t have the talent to match Texas, and this team is too young to feel like they have much of a chance in Austin.

KXAN showing 50% chance of rain and highs in the mid-80's.  Should put kickoff heat index right at 90 degrees.  Rain should be light, but consistent.  I think both offenses will have to play it a bit conservative.  I hope everybody gets shitfaced in front of the Baptists.  

OT: since Texas playing thanksgiving seems to not be going anywhere, what do y’all think of the prospect of playing Baylor on that weekend every year? Not because they are our rivals, but because it seems like both fan bases and teams just hate each other so much. I’d vote yes, especially if the alternative meant not playing Kansas in Lawrence.
Fuck you mr

651c37df5862e33f2ad334c31aae444a.jpgd5530a40b0d4800eb68b5cbcb727b9a6.gif8e57248299296d5c8c7966f41950a4a6.gif

KXAN showing 50% chance of rain and highs in the mid-80's.  Should put kickoff heat index right at 90 degrees.  Rain should be light, but consistent.  I think both offenses will have to play it a bit conservative.  I hope everybody gets shitfaced in front of the Baptists.  
Good luck keeping up with the baptists when it comes to getting shitfaced. You will probably get shitfaced before they do as their alcohol tolerance is very high.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I've wanted to say this anytime someone mentions rain.  A wet playing surface hurts secondaries more than anything.  It's not our friend.

It's the wind that messes with the passing game.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

Baylor’s only chance in this game is to resurrect the ghost of JJ Joe and Grant Teaff and sprinkle some Ann Richards dust on the football. I hope they enjoy their downward spiral to 90s level mediocrity and irrelevance.

Kinda creepy that TEXAS is ranked #9 playing Baylor this Saturday.

#9 Ranked  TEXAS lost in 1978 to Grant Teaff's baylor team 38-14 in Waco. Game is legendary for baylor folks because of famous inspirational pregame speech by Grant where he "Ate a Worm"....

Article on 1978 Baylor vs Texas "Worm Game"

"In 1978, playing Georgia, Kentucky and Ohio State on the road, a truly promising season turned into a disaster. Injuries mounted and losses began to add up, as we lost five road games by an average of four points per game.

In order to prepare our team for the noise in Kyle Field, the Aggie War Hymn was played full blast on the Baylor Stadium speakers for every workout. Everyone within a couple miles of Baylor Stadium knew we were playing the Aggies.

The plan to redshirt Walter Abercrombie was not going to work. Injuries had decimated our running backs, with only two remaining. Two minutes to go before halftime at Kyle Field, I put Walter into the game and he set a rushing record that stood for years. Walter’s freshman class in four years never lost to the Aggies. I think Walter thought the Aggie War Hymn was the Baylor fight song.

The miserable season continued with a loss to Rice on the road, and the season would end with ninth-ranked Texas in Baylor Stadium. Sunday prior to the Texas game, I informed the staff and the players of a plan to defeat Texas. Mickey Elam, a backup running back, would be our new quarterback. Everyone but Texas knew Mickey was not a passer. He could run the option, and I believed the option would defeat Texas.

The team needed to start thinking like winners to get out of the psychological downward spiral. The plan would not be easy, but if executed, it would save our season.

Thursday afternoon, I was concerned about each player accepting their responsibility to “do whatever it takes to succeed.” I said to the team, “Two ice fishermen were three feet apart, using the same equipment and bait, one successful, the other not. The unsuccessful said, ‘What’s the secret to your success?’ ” To demonstrate the successful fisherman’s answer, I put my tongue under my lower lip and said, “You’ve got to keep the worms warm.” The response by the team was measured.

Friday night, after our team movie, a back-up tackle said to me in private, “Coach, is there any way you could demonstrate your point to the team?” Thinking it a good idea, I prepared.

Saturday, just before the team took the field, I stepped up on a bench and said to the players, “This has been a great week of work. You’re thinking like winners and you have a plan to defeat Texas. There’s not much we as coaches can do while you win the game. But there’s one thing I will do, I’ll keep the worms warm.”

I held the little fella up, dropped him on the right corner of my mouth, and the players exploded out of the locker room and onto the field. I immediately popped my little friend into the trash. Walking by my coaches, who were unaware of my ploy, one said to me, “I’m glad you didn’t call for volunteers.”

The players took it the way I meant it, and they were relaxed and ready to play, defeating Texas, 38-14.

That victory changed everything — recruiting and the image of our program. During the following 14 years, the Bears produced another championship, five second-place finishes, and under today’s bowl rules, the teams would have attended 10 bowls.

Contrary to the rumors, I did not eat nor swallow a worm. Personally, I don’t think the worm had a thing to do with our victory. It was the change of offense and attitude. A bad season was eradicated in one glorious victory. "

Edited by LTtxfan

If the B12 had any balls at all, Baylor would have been kicked out a couple of years ago for Institutional Failure.

But since that didn't happen, I'm ready for Baylor to go back to being the 1-11 Baylor we all know and love from the early B12 days.  They don't deserve football greatness.  They don't even deserve football mediocrity.  

I want to see Texas come out and dominate Baylor so badly, it demoralizes them into being winless for the rest of the season.  And every season thereafter for all eternity.

And I don't think that's too much to ask...

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

IT team notes

By: IT Staff

At 5-1 and tied atop the Big 12 Conference you would think all is rosy in Austin, but that's not the case.

Just kidding, that is the case. It's Butchart Gardens in this b****. From top to bottom the program is excited to see seeds planted in the spring sprouting in the fall.

During his Thursday media availability Tom Herman stated he saw no signs of complacency in the team. I often ask a similar question. Not that I can ever fully know, but there have been times when I felt the team wasn't entirely locked in. I asked, "at 5-1, how much room is there left to improve?" I know the answer because I've watched every second of Texas football this year and many before it, but I was happy to hear in reply, "A ton of room. There's no excuse to not keep getting better and start beating teams 50-0." That answer is a bit hyperbolic but emblematic of the program's upside and mindset. Expectations of how they should play are high.

As @Scipio Tex and I discussed in the podcast, Texas is both the team that had OU down big and the one that almost gave up a big lead. I asked about the relationship between dominant and dormant play for stretches. "A couple of touchdowns given up were just bad communication from the sideline to the players. Guys weren't on the same page. That should be fixed. Good thing it didn't cost them the game."

While the defense struggled the offense played its best game in a long time. Source, "if Ehlinger is going to play like that, where he's making those decisions and throws... we know he can run and provide leadership, but that takes the offense to a whole new level."

With Baylor coming to town I heard what I expected to hear, "Just play them the same way as OU. Dime on defense and run the offense. That should be enough to get it done but Baylor is dangerous on offense."

Baylor is a good foe heading into the bye week. The Texas defense has things to iron out that Charlie Brewer and friends will test, but the offense should be able to continue creating muscle memory against a spirited yet over-matched defense.

#####

On Thursday, Precocious Joe Cook precociously asked Tom Herman who were the younger players standing out in practice. Herman mentioned Moro Ojomo, Keondre Coburn, Mike Williams, Daniel Carson, Christian Jones, and Casey Thompson.

I've mentioned each of them previously, with Jones being a recent mention as someone who is showing promise. Interestingly, he's at right tackle on scout team after previously playing left tackle. Naturally that has me wondering if that's in preparation for next year when Sam Cosmi moves over to left tackle. I heard back, "I'd be surprised if he's ready next year, but I'm not sure. He might have a big jump in him. He's athletic. He still has a lot to learn about the game, though."

If he's at right, who's at left? Reese Moore. I asked if he had what it takes for that position and the source said it was too early to know and that he has a long way to go. I mentioned Moore perhaps at center and he thought that was possible. The way he said it made me think Moore profiled to center better than tackle. This is a good time to remember that o-linemen are on a different developmental clock from other positions.

Moro Ojomo: "Just good at disrupting gaps, not providing a whole lot as a pass rusher, though. Strong."

Keondre Coburn: "He gets a lot of push against the first team offensive line. He fires off the ball and he's a load." Herman said the scout team does a good job of giving the first team a good look. Coburn is a bit of a classic nose which means power is the name of the game. He gives Shack the business quite a bit.

Mike Williams: "Really athletic and active. Disruptive. These guys are good but I don't know who's going to generate the pass rush they want. None of them are even Omenihu in that regard."

I didn't ask about Daniel Carson but it was good to hear Herman mention him. Previously I've heard he has a long way to go, which isn't surprising.

Casey Thompson: "Still athletic. If nothing else playing scout will get you used to the speed of the game."

I asked if anybody else was standing out that Herman didn't mention.

Byron Vaughns (formerly Hobbs): "He's competing his ass off. Moves really well in space and becoming more physical at the point of attack."

#####

With an eye towards next year I had a couple of questions.

Early entrees, specifically Brandon Jones: "Things are real quiet there but good chance he goes. He should go. Strong said come to Texas and we'll do the rest. Personal feeling is he'll leave but not sure. What I know on Collin Johnson is he loves it at Texas. Loves it. I can see him staying but if he gets a first round grade they'll tell him to go. He might stay anyway [laughing]. He's a poster boy for what they're doing. They seem to be recruiting like he'll leave. Lil'Jordan, you don't even have to ask." The implication on LJH is what I've been writing for a long time, if he has a big year he's out. He's having a big year.

If Brandon Jones leaves early: "You still have Sterns and Foster. They'll be perfectly fine. Secondary is going to be good. Cook, Boyce, Jalen. All are good." I pushed back on Boyce in run support, "he needs to get better but he can really cover." Tell me more about Green, "athletic and will hit, just needs to hammer home the details and keep developing."

What about nickel: "Thompson is one of the best athletes on the team. He'll be fine. Let him make some mistakes an learn. Jamison will move back to defense but I'm not sure he's like the others." What do you mean? "He's going to have to get more physical." He needs another year of S&C. I like the use of 'others' though because the physicality is implied. Jamison hit in high school, just let him add some more muscle and let's see.

What about the defensive line and linebackers. I ask this often looking for different answers depending on who I'm talking to: "Linebacker will be Overshown and not sure at Mac. Adeoye is a bit stiff. Maybe Ossai gets a look there (first I've heard that) because of how much they use Dime. He can run. Of course you have McCulloch but they like him at B. The question on the defensive line will be how do they get a pass rush. Omenihu has struggled at times and none of these guys are him."

And their counterparts on the offensive line: "Tough to say. Cosmi at left tackle is for sure. Told you about him. Everything else can be upgraded but I'm not sure how they do it or who ends up where. Lots of bodies to work with." You sure Jones can't play on the right side? "He'd be a better option than Okafor I think but not Kerstetter." I was just pushing there. My read on Jones was he was going to require quite a bit of time. It does appear he's ahead of schedule.

The good thing about offensive line is the same thing that's bad: developmental curves are hard to read. Some guys might make a jump, or they might not and require more time. Competition and physical development are mandatory to expedite the process and they'll get that.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:15 PM, Assman said:

All I want is a defensive 3-and-out to start the game.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but it seems like our opponents (sans Tulsa/KSU) have easily scored on their first drives and we're always having to play catch up.

and for the first offensive play to not be a delay of game

Nah. We struggled with Maryland and Tulsa. Let's blow out these type teams first before we reach the point of sitting out our best RB. 

Give him a few carries, but I'd rather have him ready siren the stretch. Lets see if some other guys can get it going. If not, run Ingram as needed.
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 10:35 PM, TexasMan said:

OT: since Texas playing thanksgiving seems to not be going anywhere, what do y’all think of the prospect of playing Baylor on that weekend every year? Not because they are our rivals, but because it seems like both fan bases and teams just hate each other so much. I’d vote yes, especially if the alternative meant not playing Kansas in Lawrence.

giphy.gif

imgur>
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Carl Winslow said:

Alex is correct. For one, attendance in college football is down across the board. Couple that with a massive stadium we have, this is no big deal. 3k short of 100k is far from embarrassing. And plus, it's fucking Baylor, who is irrelevant these days. I am sure a good handful of those get sold between now and game time.

And Baylor on Thanksgiving indefinitely? Yeah, how about fuck no. Quit trying to force some manufactured "rivalry". Like Aggy is trying to do. If we happen to play Baylor on that day (and we never really should), then so be it. But definitely not as a permanent date with them. They are bottom feeders and irrelevant. They had a few year run but that's now tarnished beyond repair. They would be the only ones who benefit from such a game.

• Like 2