2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

10 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

If anyone sits, it will be Manu. He's played a lot the last two games. Pop will probably roll out the usual lineup. If shit gets out of hand early, he'll wave the white flag. 

I think Manu sits.... the first round is pretty ridiculously spaced but Pop gonna Pop.  It's not like this is a back to back.

11 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

If this is the case, Pop might go for the win in New Orleans. Still don't think he cares all that much about seeding. 

Utah's been on a long, steady roll. The Jazz are hardly a gimme in the 4/5 matchup. I'm not sure a beat-up GS squad or the choking Rockets would. be much tougher for us. That's especially true if we were to end up #5 and have to win at least one in SLC.

Edited by Gut Wagon

11 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

If anyone sits, it will be Manu. He's played a lot the last two games. Pop will probably roll out the usual lineup. If shit gets out of hand early, he'll wave the white flag. 

This right here.  And, given the Spurs general proclivity to shit the bed on the road this year along with the fact that New Orleans has been a recent house of horrors, I expect the Spurs to fit into the 7 or 8 slot.

http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs/

I have no clue if the Cavs have the assets to trade for Kawhi but it does sound like a move they could make to try and keep Lebron. 

They have the Nets pick and Cedi Osman who the Spurs really wanted last summer. Obviously the Spurs would want more than that. 

On 4/9/2018 at 10:38 PM, hornfan785 said:

Ginobili's dunk - https://streamable.com/94nci

My favorite basketball player of all-time. Love, love, love that man.

Anyway, a few months back I couldn't fathom them losing Kawhi but the more this shit lingers, it just seems more and more likely. He'll be dead to me -- just like KD -- if he bitch-ass, peace-outs like this. Fuck this crazy uncle too as this franchise effectively made #2 who he is today. (Well, it had a big fucking part.)

So ESPN.com has the playoff scenarios here: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23088248/2018-nba-playoff-race-stake-watch

The Spurs' most likely matchup is the Blazers -- either in the 3-6 or 4-5 matchup, depending on what happens in Portland on Wednesday night. Of course, San Antonio can draw either Golden State or Houston with a loss (and a Jazz series is still in play). The Pelicans' most likely first-round opponent is ... also the Blazers! Crazy. To make things a little simpler: Winner probably gets Portland, and -- assuming OKC beats Memphis -- a San Antonio loss means Spurs-Warriors in Round 1, while a New Orleans loss means Rockets-Pelicans.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-kawhi-leonard-san-antonio-spurs/

I have no clue if the Cavs have the assets to trade for Kawhi but it does sound like a move they could make to try and keep Lebron. 

They have the Nets pick and Cedi Osman who the Spurs really wanted last summer. Obviously the Spurs would want more than that. 

Osman can play? That’s news to me. Has looked way too mortal every time I’ve seen him. 

But I couldn’t blame LBJ for wanting Kawhi on his team. Way better than playing against him, which he clearly hates.

Edited by Gut Wagon

I guess I don't much care which team we play. We aren't likely to go far. But I wouldn't mind the Rockets. They should be favored by 15 every night, but nothing in their recent history suggests they'd live up to it. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

36 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I guess I don't much care which team we play. We aren't likely to go far. But I wouldn't mind the Rockets. They should be favored by 15 every night, but nothing in their recent history suggests they'd live up to it. 

I wouldn't mind a shot at gsw with curry out for the first round.  Best chance to beat them, but also best chance for a long ass summer.

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

They don't..... unless you wanted guys like Hood.  Osman has some potential but he's a throw-in type player currently.  Maybe if they got lucky and got a top 2-3 pick in the current lottery (currently odds are 8th), included Nance and something else that would probably need to be from a 3rd team.  Really, that's a click bait story.  Everyone is going to want to Kawhi.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I mean..... we all knew this was going to happen, or at least had a high probability.  By the numbers and the eye test, this team will be lucky to win a series in the playoffs especially vs the top 2 seeds.  We had our chance for home court last week and we blew it by choking in La-La Land and 2 broke down teams.  Hey, it's probably our worst team in 20 years and we still made the playoffs.  That's something.  I simply wouldn't be encouraging anyone to rationally think we're going to be winning a series vs GSW or Hou.  Being a fan ain't rational tho.... amirite?!?!

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I mean..... we all knew this was going to happen, or at least had a high probability.  By the numbers and the eye test, this team will be lucky to win a series in the playoffs especially vs the top 2 seeds.  We had our chance for home court last week and we blew it by choking in La-La Land and 2 broke down teams.  Hey, it's probably our worst team in 20 years and we still made the playoffs.  That's something.  I simply wouldn't be encouraging anyone to rationally think we're going to be winning a series vs GSW or Hou.  Being a fan ain't rational tho.... amirite?!?!

Being a fan isn’t rational. Why do we care about the achievements of athletes when we have zero to do with the outcome of their competitions? Because...we enjoy it. So we watch and scream and then die when the team does. And then, the next year...we do it all over again. 

This is a massively flawed team. Kawhi’s absence has exposed warts he’d managed to hide, for the most part. We’re OK at times...but then, when we’re not scoring and defending, we’re toast against even mediocre teams. Just the way it is. Long summer ahead. 

28 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I hope this season is the last season I have to see Tony Parker in a Spurs jersey. He’s done. 

HOFer who came back from a nasty injury and gave it a try. Just wasn’t much left. At least he didn’t run to NY to rehab. OK, I’m frustrated.