In case you forgot how amazing 2005 was...

Honeysucklerose

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

one thing that always boggles my mind is that if you start with the 2nd half of the OK State game through the Baylor game til halftime of the KU game, Texas scored 152 unanswered points (38, 62, 52).    Not to mention another 56 unanswered  point run against Colorado in a 19 minute stretch of the 2nd and 3rd quarters...Texas had 70 with over half of the 3rd quarter remaining 

That Big XII ccg... Colorado's only points came off a VY interception in our red zone.  If he doesn't throw that pick, we probably win the game 77-0 or better.  We scored 10 touchdowns on our first 11 possessions of that game.  Just unreal.

one thing that always boggles my mind is that if you start with the final play of the 1st half of the OK State game through the Baylor game til halftime of the KU game, Texas scored 152 unanswered points (38, 62, 52).

Thought I had considered everything about that team but this is incredible. That's like two straight games equal to Oklahoma's 77-0 blowout of A&M.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

To this point, our last score was midway through the 3rd quarter.  Think about that:  We hung 70 on them in 2 1/2 quarters.

I love how we didn't take our foot off the gas (at least initially) in the 3rd quarter.  I remember Mack's halftime interview, when we had already amassed a 49-3 lead.  He was asked about slowing down in the second half.  He responded by saying something along the lines of we would not be slowing down just yet, it took a lot of work to get to this point and this game means a lot--we've been here before against this team and we are going to keep playing awhile longer to leave no doubt.

Edited by Xcalibur

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't understand how Mack Brown built that monster and also built the pile of shit we saw in his last couple of years. 

Easy. Mack was hungry and desperate for a championship after years and years of coming short.

Once he won it he lost his edge and never got it back. Happens all the time.

5 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

I watched every snap from every game that season and it was pure ecstasy. Greatest team in college football history.

Did you forget that USC was the greatest team in CFB history that year?  It was so bad that we even had threads about USC vs the greatest armies in history that season.  Watching the Longhorns take them down was fantastic.

39 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

one thing that always boggles my mind is that if you start with the final play of the 1st half of the OK State game through the Baylor game til halftime of the KU game, Texas scored 152 unanswered points (38, 62, 52).    Not to mention another 56 unanswered  point run against Colorado in a 19 minute stretch of the 2nd and 3rd quarters...Texas had 70 with over half of the 3rd quarter remaining

Yeah.  But other than that CU dominated the game.

/Baylor game announcers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, linux said:

Mack built two separate beast teams 04-05 and 08-09. Had there been a CFP (and no injuries sigh) all 4 years could have won the playoff 

We were good in 2004 no doubt, but I actually think our 2001 team under Brown was better than 2004.  VY and Colt make it easy to forget how stacked our early 2000s teams were.

I rank our top 10 best teams under Brown in the following order: '05, '08, '09, '01, '04, '06, '02, '03, '07, '00

Edited by Xcalibur
  • Like 1

2004 lost only one game though 12-0 to the Sooners, of course the fanbase went ballistic after squeezing by Mizzou (Mack fired!,VY to WR!) but that team was nuts, they had IT even then. I have no doubt that they could have crushed OU in Jan, and maybe upset the Trojans if they got lucky.

On the Chris Sims years I like 02 best, nothing like spanking Saban in the bowl game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, linux said:

2004 lost only one game though 12-0 to the Sooners, of course the fanbase went ballistic after squeezing by Mizzou (Mack fired!,VY to WR!) but that team was nuts, they had IT even then. I have no doubt that they could have crushed OU in Jan, and maybe upset the Trojans if they got lucky.

On the Chris Sims years I like 02 best, nothing like spanking Saban in the bowl game.

The 2004 team definitely had flashes of IT.  But they were not 2005 caliber... at least not until the Michigan Rose Bowl game.  We didn't just squeeze by Mizzou that year; we also played Arkansas in a very close and very loseable game in Fayetteville, and we needed a VY moment on 4th and 18 just to beat Kansas.  Our 2005 squad would've blown the doors off each of those teams without a second thought.

10 minutes ago, linux said:

That Cotton Bowl was great. Loved me some Roy.

The fastest, most talented, hardest hitting team in UT history. 

The amount of shit they kicked on both sides of the ball was just unreal. So many plays where we snap the ball and 3 seconds later out entire O Line is mauling people 15 yards down the field while JC or Ramonce slip through gaps for 20-30 yards at a time. 

Mack basically found every badass high schooler in Texas (including the perfect leader at QB) and got them motivated and on the same page and that was the result. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Which should not be confused 2001 team which could have won the Big 12 but screwed it up against Colorado.

Not just the Big 12... that 2001 team could've won the national championship, but for that freak occurrence of a game against Colorado (who we had already annihilated 41-7 earlier that year).

10 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

The 2004 team definitely had flashes of IT.  But they were not 2005 caliber... at least not until the Michigan Rose Bowl game.  We didn't just squeeze by Mizzou that year; we also played Arkansas in a very close and very loseable game in Fayetteville, and we needed a VY moment on 4th and 18 just to beat Kansas.  Our 2005 squad would've blown the doors off each of those teams without a second thought.

Also the Oklahoma State game at home. Going into halftime losing 35-14, then winning 56-35. My favorite Longhorn of all time (Derrick Johnson) I can't imagine how good 2005 would've been if him and Benson were one year younger. 

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Also the Oklahoma State game at home. Going into halftime losing 35-14, then winning 56-35. My favorite Longhorn of all time (Derrick Johnson) I can't imagine how good 2005 would've been if him and Benson were one year younger. 

That game was legendary though. Another chapter in the mythos of VY. 

The story I've been told is that Mack walked into halftime of that game, wrote 49-35 on the whiteboard in the locker room, then walked out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That game was legendary though. Another chapter in the mythos of VY. 

The story I've been told is that Mack walked into halftime of that game, wrote 49-35 on the whiteboard in the locker room, then walked out. 

Absolutely.  I remember being in the stadium during that game-- the atmosphere in the second half was absolutely electric.  Haven't experienced anything quite like that since (although the first half of our game against Mizzou in 2008 comes close).  

Mack actually wrote 42-35 on the board in the locker room at halftime of the 2004 OkSt game.  In a postgame interview, he said he regretted not giving his team more credit when he suggested they would only score 42.

46 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

2002 was the team that could have won the Big 12 and then screwed it up against Texas Tech. Which should not be confused 2001 team which could have won the Big 12 but screwed it up against Colorado.

They both had nice Bowl Wins though.

philip geiger going for the punt block.  we had the talent to win it all that year.

1 hour ago, linux said:

2002 reminds me a lot of this season. Barely escaping Manhattan and Lincoln and also I remember Oklahoma State played us close at home. We did destory aggy though at the end of the year and then beat Nicky on New Years Day. 

7 hours ago, joeycovers said:

They also did not cover vs Okie st.  I believe those were the only 2. 

Random memory most never talk about... KU game was supposed to be revenge game for KU because what happened in 04. If i recall correctly the game before it ran over so the UT game was shown "in progress". I was in LV so maybe it was different for us West Coasters. Anyway game was 21-0 in like the first 10 minutes. By the time the game was "on" it was already well in hand. That is the type of firepower that team was capable of.  

For some reason I remember the KU game as the one where we almost lost but for VY making the 4th down conversion late in the game. I guess that was 04. My memory is failing.

1 hour ago, preznick555 said:

The Pittman long TD catch at the end of the first half of the OU game was so cathartic. 

So I got to UT in the Fall of '02.  I had to sit there and watch OU manhandle us every year.  Then in '05 I got the chance to go with a big group of friends but had another thing I could have gone to instead of the game.  Decided, fuck it, Vince is awesome and I don't want to miss him playing even if the Burglars have our number.  I was nervous the entire time until Pittman caught that pass.  I kept thinking it was just a matter of time until Mack fucked up and the Burglars came back.  After that catch I knew we were going to blow them the fuck out. 

We were right behind the OU bench and we kept ridiculing Bomar the entire game.  Like, the entire section we were in was giving him shit for the whole game.  I actually felt slightly bad for him after he got demolished on that sack.  For about a second or two. 

Number 1 is easily 2005 Ohio St. That team was damn good., That game was one of my favorite games ever. 

I was getting ready to leave work so I could get home in time to catch the kickoff when my ex called me at the office. She wanted me to stop on the way home and pick up some shoes that she had resoled that were ready. I just hung up on her. I think I knew then that we wouldn’t last.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

Absolutely.  I remember being in the stadium during that game-- the atmosphere in the second half was absolutely electric.  Haven't experienced anything quite like that since (although the first half of our game against Mizzou in 2008 comes close).  

Mack actually wrote 42-35 on the board in the locker room at halftime of the 2004 OkSt game.  In a postgame interview, he said he regretted not giving his team more credit when he suggested they would only score 42.

I remember the interview with Leslie at halftime of  that 2004 OK state game...reporter said something like "Are you worried Texas gained momentum with that touchdown?" (VY hit Bo Scaife for a TD with 3 seconds left in the half)...Ol Leslie smirked and looked at the reporter and said "That 21 point lead is looking pretty good right now!" Texas scored 42 more unanswered in the 2nd half...   I can't find that video anywhere, but it was an amazing lesson in STFU   

3 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I remember the interview with Leslie at halftime of  that 2004 OK state game...reporter said something like "Are you worried Texas gained momentum with that touchdown?" (VY hit Bo Scaife for a TD with 3 seconds left in the half)...Ol Leslie smirked and looked at the reporter and said "That 21 point lead is looking pretty good right now!" Texas scored 42 more unanswered in the 2nd half...   I can't find that video anywhere, but it was an amazing lesson in STFU   

Oh yeah, he gave the most passive aggressive interview ever.  Smirking the whole way, he told the reporter something like, "They are a strong team, I would expect a strong team like them to score 14 points in a half, that's a strong number of points for such a strong team."  He left unsaid what was written all over his face, that his own team had just put up 35 points in the same half, and he believed they were on the verge of blowing us out. 

The second half of that game sure was sweet.

4 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Oh yeah, he gave the most passive aggressive interview ever.  Smirking the whole way, he told the reporter something like, "They are a strong team, I would expect a strong team like them to score 14 points in a half, that's a strong number of points for such a strong team."  He left unsaid what was written all over his face, that his own team had just put up 35 points in the same half, and he believed they were on the verge of blowing us out. 

The second half of that game sure was sweet.

I'd love to go back and watch that entire broadcast

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'd love to go back and watch that entire broadcast

just found this and the guy who uploaded it cut off the tape (yes tape) literally as Craig Sager was about to interview Miles at halftime...then it moves on to the 3rd quarter....he missed the best part of the game!!!

• Like 1

I was at that 2004 OSU game with my kids and my brother.  My brother had ridden to the game with me and was begging me to leave at halftime.  I told him he could leave if he wanted to, but he would have to walk home because I was going to stay and see how it turned out.  That was an amazing game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

Haha thanks. I knew it was less than we ended up with. 

Before the RRS a few years ago, they were talking about VY. The guy they were interviewing at the time mentioned that in 04 Texas was shut out for the first time in a bazillion games. Then he grinned, looked at the camera and stated “ That was the last game that Vince Young played as a human.”

One of the biggest factors not mentioned is the lack of injuries. The only game that comes to mind with injuries that year was in stillwater when all we had was RT to play runningback. Besides that, how many starters missed a game due to injury? I guess when you're only playing 2 to 2.5 quarters your play count is significantly reduced.