In case you forgot how amazing 2005 was...

Honeysucklerose

17 hours ago, joeycovers said:

They also did not cover vs Okie st.  I believe those were the only 2. 

Random memory most never talk about... KU game was supposed to be revenge game for KU because what happened in 04. If i recall correctly the game before it ran over so the UT game was shown "in progress". I was in LV so maybe it was different for us West Coasters. Anyway game was 21-0 in like the first 10 minutes. By the time the game was "on" it was already well in hand. That is the type of firepower that team was capable of.  

I remember Mangino's quote after that game was something like "that is the fastest, strongest football team I've ever seen."

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Yep. Still have every ticket stub. You’d think they’d be in a fancy shadow box display, but they still sit in a manila folder.

How was the atmosphere at the Shoe at night? How loud did it get? I would have loved to have been there that night. Unbelievable, intense game.

Also how was Oklahoma State? We got down big early. Then the big comeback led by Vince. It looked pretty bleak early on.

One of if not the greatest, most-impactful plays by a safety I've ever seen. In the 2nd quarter, Michael Griffin comes from nowhere and snags an interception in the end zone front corner, gets his foot down, prevents USC from extending its lead to 14-3, and gut-punches their cocky confidence. Horns would drive the field for a TD to go up 9-7.

kpjr8w-05uscnblrg.jpg?w=535

59bb61f4c9c81.image.jpg

Edited by NWAustinDude
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Someone refresh my memory on the title game. Didn’t Kelso have an int that they waved off? I wanna say he caught the ball and landed on his back close to the sideline. Official called it incomplete. Pass was intended for Bush.

Yes. Ran stride for stride. He never maintained control of. Wasn’t an int then or now but was an amazing play 

6 hours ago, NWAustinDude said:

One of if not the greatest, most-impactful plays by a safety I've ever seen. In the 2nd quarter, Michael Griffin comes from nowhere and snags an interception in the end zone front corner, gets his foot down, prevents USC from extending its lead to 14-3, and gut-punches their cocky confidence. Horns would drive the field for a TD to go up 9-7.

kpjr8w-05uscnblrg.jpg?w=535

Pretty sure that was Ramonce

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How was the atmosphere at the Shoe at night? How loud did it get? I would have loved to have been there that night. Unbelievable, intense game.

it was very intense. Record crowd of over 105K and they put Woody Hayes's name in the ring of honor or whatever that night as well.  their fans were exactly like the stereotype- drunk, belligerent, jorted out pricks. most thought there was zero chance they would lose, and were talking shit all day long as we watched games at the original Buffalo Wild Wings location. after all, the game was at the shoe. at night. the stadium was very loud- I've been to plenty of games at the tackle box and the shoe was louder than pyle ever thought of being. their fans were pissed at tressel settling for all those field goals. their offense had Ginn Jr and Santonio Holmes, both of whom were 1st rounders and 4.3 40 guys but they were underutilized for sure. I was nervous as hell kicking to those guys...leaving the stadium it seemed like the world's largest funeral procession, for the buckeyes indeed lost. at the shoe. at night.

post-game we went to some bar called the outside inn or some shit like that that actually had Shiner Bock in bottles. they were out of Shiner Bock when they closed that night. sunday morning we drove up to cleveland for the opener vs the bengals. browns fans did not care for my Texas hat. Browns lost , and i had no voice until Wednesday/ csb      

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

it was very intense. Record crowd of over 105K and they put Woody Hayes's name in the ring of honor or whatever that night as well.  their fans were exactly like the stereotype- drunk, belligerent, jorted out pricks. most thought there was zero chance they would lose, and were talking shit all day long as we watched games at the original Buffalo Wild Wings location. after all, the game was at the shoe. at night. the stadium was very loud- I've been to plenty of games at the tackle box and the shoe was louder than pyle ever thought of being. their fans were pissed at tressel settling for all those field goals. their offense had Ginn Jr and Santonio Holmes, both of whom were 1st rounders and 4.3 40 guys but they were underutilized for sure. I was nervous as hell kicking to those guys...leaving the stadium it seemed like the world's largest funeral procession, for the buckeyes indeed lost. at the shoe. at night.

post-game we went to some bar called the outside inn or some shit like that that actually had Shiner Bock in bottles. they were out of Shiner Bock when they closed that night. sunday morning we drove up to cleveland for the opener vs the bengals. browns fans did not care for my Texas hat. Browns lost , and i had no voice until Wednesday/ csb      

God the horseshoe was such a badass setting. I am very comfortable saying it's the best college football atmosphere I've ever been a part of. I'll echo everything Dennis said above ... fans in Columbus were such a fucking stereotype. I remember getting a double bird from a 13 year old girl after the game. We legit had a cop tell us to "just stay quiet and keep walking" after the game, and we weren't talking any shit at all. We had a totally ridiculously drunk tOSU fan throw up on himself, pass out, and get kicked out of the stadium before halftime. While I admire his commitment to the Buckeye concept, fucker missed half of a football game. He was an ass, tho, so we enjoyed it.

Plus, Vince to Limas. I wasn't sure at that point that we'd beat USC, but I was 100% certain that we'd be at the Rose Bowl. Fuck what a game.

• Like 1

"In case you forgot how amazing 2005 was..."

Is this a thing that happens to people?

Interesting so many of you felt like the OU game was won when Pittman scored to make it 24-6. I thought it was over when Jamaal scored on that 80-yd run to make it 14-6 because I really didn't think that OU could outscore us by 8 points the rest of the way no matter what. I certainly didn't think they had a prayer in hell by the time it was 17-6.

But the TD catch was cathartic, for sure, because that's when I felt like we were going to fucking shitstomp them as opposed to winning like 31-15.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 12:58 PM, Xcalibur said:

We were good in 2004 no doubt, but I actually think our 2001 team under Brown was better than 2004.  VY and Colt make it easy to forget how stacked our early 2000s teams were.

I rank our top 10 best teams under Brown in the following order: '05, '08, '09, '01, '04, '06, '02, '03, '07, '00

This is pretty much exactly how I would rate it, although I would put ‘98 before ‘07. We got so fucked in ‘08.

Freshman year. What a time to be alive. Pretty sure I remember walking around West Campus and a car or two may have been flipped after Ohio St. Can only claim every home game but I’ll take it. What a comfortable feeling walking into DKR knowing we would not lose. Knew we would get USC for all the glory after Ohio St. Never doubted how the season would end. Thanks VY.

One of the things I remember most is how fun it was to watch the defense.  If Texas pinned the offense inside the 20 when the defense walked on the field the heat was coming like a pack of ravaged dogs they attacked the offense.  Pinned back I bet they scared the piss out of some QB

a273d7eb310c4af0c1d0f329dafff154.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Someone refresh my memory, who would we have played if USC had dropped to Fresno St? They were down 14 a couple times in that game. 

Hell I think we were in a dogfight for awhile with Aggy the last game of the regular season. Stephen McGee's rookie year I think?

Penn State, assuming that Southern Cal fell behind them. There's a chance that the Trojans would have stayed ahead of them.

We would have done unholy and borderline illegal things to Penn State.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:16 AM, Sejjr said:

Side note, I am pretty sure they also covered every game that year except aggy. And the money line in the Rose Bowl was the bet of the decade. Betting on Vince Young always paid. 

What was the line for the Ohio State game? I'd assume tOSU -3

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Someone refresh my memory, who would we have played if USC had dropped to Fresno St? They were down 14 a couple times in that game. 

Hell I think we were in a dogfight for awhile with Aggy the last game of the regular season. Stephen McGee's rookie year I think?

That's the only team ESPN sucked off even more so than Alabama. They would have to drop two for them to get left out. I thought ESPN was going to try and slide Pedo in over us. VY scared ESPN to death. 

It's hard to say that ESPN had USC overrated, that was one hell of a team. Texas was better (and obviously underrated). It is fitting that the final polls unanimously ranked USC 2nd instead of dropping them to 3rd or 4th as normal.

Aggy did give us fits. They came out with everything they could throw at us (dead dogs, spent sheep) determined to kill our season. They held VY to like 160 yrds of offense while going over 250 on the ground themselves.We beat them by 10-12 points which was the closes margin in conference (tOSU by two was #1) by far, but the game itself was really never in doubt. it did hurt us in the polls and probably cost Young the Hiesman, bu wWhat we did to Colorado the following game to hush any lobbying should have sent our entire team to jail.  Lol

On a different note, CJ doesn't get enough love...  Don't get me wrong, every Texas fan loves him, but he seldom gets mentioned. Everytime he touched the ball rival fans would hold their breath. 

He would find seams to slip through that only Barry Sanders could have exploited. 

He had Emmit's knack for avoiding big hits. 

And Jesus was he fucking fast. There is a likely chance he would have broke 2,000 yrds and no telling how many receiving his senior year and the Heisman. (Not to mention his impact on the field might have changed history into the Natty).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Penn State, assuming that Southern Cal fell behind them. There's a chance that the Trojans would have stayed ahead of them.

We would have done unholy and borderline illegal things to Penn State.

might have been a pretty ugly game, they had the defense to gum up the works but they didn't have the playmakers on offense to do anything against our defense

I think it probably would have looked like the Miami-Nebraska Rose Bowl, or maybe the USC-Penn State Rose Bowl after the 2008 season, where the better team could have won by a ton but the first string O/D was more interested in looking for hot chicks in the stands in the 2nd half than building its lead

Hard to beat the sight of rhett bomar’s twitching corpse alone on the field of the cotton bowl.

I also played QB at Grand Prairie like Bomar and I also would have been twitching on the ground in that game but it would have been after the first series.

That Rose Bowl game against Michigan let us all know that great things were on the way. Living in the heart of USC territory made the MNC game extra sweet. Took every bet I could get, told them all they would regret it and that they have never seen anything like VY.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:16 AM, Sejjr said:

Side note, I am pretty sure they also covered every game that year except aggy. And the money line in the Rose Bowl was the bet of the decade. Betting on Vince Young always paid. 

I made $600 on a futures bet for the MNC in Las Vegas.

• 3 years later...
On 10/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, Valmy77 said:

It seems like we should have lost to Arkansas in 2004 but the pigs screwed it up somehow. I seem to remember they had the ball in FG range down by 2 with time expiring and then their QB inexplicably fumbled. Something like that.

IIRC, it was a forced fumble.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:15 AM, Honeysucklerose said:

Good grief that team was sick. Sometimes you just forget how unreal those guys were and how awesome it was to watch it every week. Here's a little nostalgia for ya

I purposely limit my viewings of both the 2005 and 2006 Rose Bowls. I don’t ever want the awe at excitement to ebb. I need to watch the 2006 game again.

• Hook 'Em 1