2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

49 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I disagree.  Nothing on the Lakers excites me if I'm New Orleans.  There's a lot of recognizable names because they're high picks and/or Lakers, but it's a whole lot of meh plus draft picks that figure to be in the 20's for years to come.  What is the hope adding the entire Lakers' roster?  Maybe Ingram just needs a change of scenery.  Maybe Kuzma develops into more of a playmaker than the limited scorer that you and I see him as.  Maybe Zubac has a Steven Adams mean streak in him.  Maybe Ball doesn't cause waves and improves with the ball in his hands more.  More likely, you're going to be good enough (including this year) to threaten for 8 and 9 seeds, but never bad enough to get a great pick.  I'm not even saying that that's a bad goal; not every franchise should shoot for titles, being young and fun (are any of those players considered fun?) and just trying to make the playoffs is enough.  I just think they have bigger aspirations trading a once-a-decade type franchise player.

Maybe they won't get a deal with as many names on it in the summer, but I bet they get more and better future assets, allowing them to tank in the short term.

Since I completely botched this the first time, I am curious what people think the Pelicans long-term plan should be with any Lakers' offer (assuming only 2 first round picks) that would make them seriously consider?  Like I said above, I tend to see them taking on the entire Lakers' roster as trapping them in NBA limbo with no blue chip players or picks.

And I was pretty high on Ingram last year, but I feel like he came back with less game and more tattoos.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, aggie08 said:
Except that he won't.  It's trade or bust more likely than not.

Didn't he already say he won't sign an extension in Boston?

That doesn't mean he will sign with the Lakers.   Again, that would mean they would have to keep cap space for another yr to wait for him.    That is unlikely with their timeline after getting LBJ.    So, he may not re-sign with BOS but he likely won't be able to sign with LA in summer 2020.  If he wants to get to LA the far more likely scenario would be via trade.

Edited by d2o

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If he goes to Boston, Kyrie stays, and they win a title I don’t foresee him packing his bags to sign somewhere else regardless of what he says now. He wants LA and is making public statements to help strengthen his chances of ending up there

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He won’t sign an extension anywhere.  He’ll need to re-sign wherever he goes as there’s more money.  His team leaking places he would sign extensions was technically incorrect and doesn’t mean you wouldn’t re-sign other places.... right now his “team”is trying to leverage his situation to get him to destinations he wants right now.  18 months from now he pack and probably will feel differently.  Certain destinations he’d like to go now. May not be available in 18 months....

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Maybe Kawhi goes to the clippers and AD likes that situation more?

That’s a distinct possibility but the Clippers, who Davis’ team said he would re-sign with, would have to do something similar to what the Lakers are doing this season by reserving cap space by acquiring only expiring deals....

47 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Once upon a time, Kevin Garnett said he would never, ever sign with Boston, and would refuse a trade there.  He was even one of three players ever with a no trade clause.

Not only was he traded to Boston, he signed a 3 year extension as part of the deal.

In summary, public posturing.

17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah i don't get that deal either.  for either side really, but particularly for toronto. 

Less money on the hook (I was mistaken, Lowry would be an expiring next year, not this one) for Memphis and they get younger with Valaniciunas.  Now Jonas can opt out this summer but I would imagine they try and re-sign him and he has excellent metrics and they hope he can play next to JJj.

For Raptors, you get rid of Lowry, who tends to be hostile towards management and they get an upgrade at PG and a seasoned vet for the stretch run.... Money's not that bad actually unless Gasol opts in, something he probably doesn't if Kawhi leaves and the Raptors rebuild or they could buy him out at that point.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

That doesn't mean he will sign with the Lakers.   Again, that would mean they would have to keep cap space for another yr to wait for him.    That is unlikely with their timeline after getting LBJ.    So, he may not re-sign with BOS but he likely won't be able to sign with LA in summer 2020.  If he wants to get to LA the far more likely scenario would be via trade.

I suppose that, if LA doesn't land AD now or this offseason, they could pull a JJ Redick and basically max out a 2nd tier guy like Middleton or Harris for a year. Those guys would probably be okay being expendable for one year of $30M+.

But that would mean that LA also struck out on the bigger name free agents, so Bron's camp would still be getting antsy.

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I suppose that, if LA doesn't land AD now or this offseason, they could pull a JJ Redick and basically max out a 2nd tier guy like Middleton or Harris for a year. Those guys would probably be okay being expendable for one year of $30M+.

But that would mean that LA also struck out on the bigger name free agents, so Bron's camp would still be getting antsy.

Yeah they would definitely use the money for a yr.   I cant see Middleton taking a short term deal though.   He has been "underpaid" for a while and this will prolly be his only change to get paid.    Tobias will be thinking along the same lines though I dont see him being as in demand as Middleton might be.  

I really can't see them missing out on KD, Kawhi, Boogie and Jimmy Butler though.

24 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah they would definitely use the money for a yr.   I cant see Middleton taking a short term deal though.   He has been "underpaid" for a while and this will prolly be his only change to get paid.    Tobias will be thinking along the same lines though I dont see him being as in demand as Middleton might be.  

I really can't see them missing out on KD, Kawhi, Boogie and Jimmy Butler though.

I can easily seem them missing out on KD and Kawhi, and then being reluctant to hitch their wagon to Boogie or Butler at their pricetags. I guess they'd just have to bite the bullet in that scenario.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I can easily seem them missing out on KD and Kawhi, and then being reluctant to hitch their wagon to Boogie or Butler at their pricetags. I guess they'd just have to bite the bullet in that scenario.

yeah I could see that too.  I have very funny feeling that Butler won't get a max offer though.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I don't see Lebron waiting another year..... He reportedly wasn't happy they didn't get anybody else last summer but was convinced to give the "developmental" year a try with assurance they would get another superstar or two by summer 2019.  If they strike out on Kawhi (possible) and KD (likely), then I expect them to start looking at Boogie, Kemba, JImmy B and assessing the availability of guys like Dame or maybe even CP3.

So back to that proposed Lowry trade. Here's what Kyle Lowry has done the last five years:

19.0 pts, 6.9 ast, 4.9 reb, 1.5 stl, 82% FT, 39% 3P, and .523 eFG

...and until this year he's had none of the injury problems that have plagued Mike Conley. I could not be more confused by Toronto's motivation here. 

58 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

lakers are an absolute disaster right now.  please new orleans, do us all a favor and keep davis past the deadline.

Players know that it's a business, and if one or two of them were rumored to be on the trade block they'd be pissed, but ultimately understand, especially when it's for someone on the level of AD. But the whole damn team, without the Lakers/Magic/LeBron appearing to put up much of a fight for any one of them individually? Good luck recovering from that one.

I'm going to enjoy watching the Lakers miss the playoffs. Their arrogance squandered any chance of acquiring AD, same exact thing that transpired with Kawhi. They pitched a laughable offer and had the door slammed in their faces. The Laker's young core is extremely overrated, they couldn't even manage to compile a .500 record in LeBron's absence. Clownzo is never going to live up to the hype of being a #2 pick in addition to all the shit his loud mouthed father talks. I don't ever see Clownzo, Ingram or Kuzma becoming top 10 players in the league.

Great move if the Sixers can re-sign Tobias - otherwise that's a lot to give up for a half-season. Also PHI really needs what's left of the bench to play well starting immediately. Shamet, Chandler and Muscala all played roles in locking down wins while the stars got some rest. Getting the 2-3 seed in the East isn't going to matter much if everyone has dead legs by the second round because starters have to stay on the floor so much in Feb-March.

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

If the Clippers offered something like Shamet, Shai Alexander, Harrell, and some of these picks (including the Heat pick) I think this offer is likely better than anything the Lakers can offer. 

Is it really?   The Heat pick might be but that's counting on Riley to tank which is doubtful.   Especially given they don't have their pick