2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

7 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Interesting.  I thought he had abandoned this pitch.

Didn't he say he was cutting back on pitches because of working out of the bullpen?  I don't remember for sure but I can see needing to go back to the full repertoire now that he's starting again.

Couple of good points from Kaplan today with James out of the running for the 5th starter on opening day (P.S. The Athletic has a 40% off Feb promo going right now I highly recommend jumping on. I cancelled my auto renewal a few days before it was going to hit. Then re-upped today at the 40% off rate... $36 for the year).

James falling out of the rotation battle impacts the final couple roster spots, as having him and his multi-inning capability penciled into an opening day bullpen role will make it easier for the Astros to carry only seven relievers as opposed to their usual eight. Breaking camp with a seven-man bullpen and 12-man pitching staff would allow them to carve out spots for both Jake Marisnick and Tony Kemp if they hold on to both outfielders.

It’s also worth noting the Astros will have the option of skipping their fifth starter’s turn multiple times in April. They have four off days in a 15-day span from the early-to-middle part of the month.

12 hours ago, WBT said:

Didn't he say he was cutting back on pitches because of working out of the bullpen?  I don't remember for sure but I can see needing to go back to the full repertoire now that he's starting again.

I think often when someone is moved to the bullpen it would make sense to streamline their pitch mix given that they will typically not being seeing the order multiple times.  However, he also barely used the pitch in 2017 (assuming the few CHs registered to him aren't simply classification errors)  before he was converted into a reliever.  Interesting that he would feature it in his first outing of ST.  

Edited by Fozzz

On 3/1/2019 at 9:06 PM, tx 3 putt said:

brianmctaggartmlb

Carlos Correa hit a baseball with an exit velo of 113-mph on Thursday. Last year, when his back was bothering him, he couldn’t hit one past 105 mph

some very encouraging news 

Man, if we can get Correa performing again with the addition of Brantley, this team is gonna score a shitload of runs.